Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
How do I prevent all 32 of these dwarven wine roasts from rotting in the kitchen oh my god I've turned off every labor besides food hauling on my hauler dwarves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Man, what the hell. I downloaded the starter pack that was linked a page or three ago, and my computer started screaming about a trojan. Anyone else have problems with it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I solved the food problem. Unfortunately I don't think my embark has any iron or tin :(

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

IronicDongz posted:

Thanks, I'll probably do a pretty similar thing.

When I press F1, my camera moves to where I started-can I set other points like this to keys?

Hit either h or H, whichever is bound to "hotkeys," I can't remember right now. Then, while the screen is at the location you'd like to save, hit the function key you want to assign and then hit z. You use n to optionally name that view. You can also change the location F1 points to.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ok, sweet. The pieces are coming together, I even figured out how to make soldiers train now! Soon I will be making big stupid vanity pieces(but why wait...?)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

OT: are IronicDongz's posts breaking the "last read" button for anyone else? I can't see his posts until someone else posts after him

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ChickenWing posted:

OT: are IronicDongz's posts breaking the "last read" button for anyone else? I can't see his posts until someone else posts after him

Yeah, I have that problem too.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

ChickenWing posted:

:agreed:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

ChickenWing posted:

Same here

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It's breaking the Awful app too.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Luneshot posted:

It's breaking the Awful app too.

There's some discussion about it in the tech thread. Its a random caching issue. Also fucks with the User CP list.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How ironic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Is this actually happening to just me, or just specific people? I assumed everyone else was struggling with this weird bug in silence. Sometimes hitting ctrl+s loads my post, but usually not.

In the user control panel bookmarks after I've posted in the thread, it says that there's 1 new post in the thread(mine) despite me having posted it myself. And of course until someone else posts I can't view it, so it keeps saying "1" there until then even if I click it. It's very odd.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Is this actually happening to just me, or just specific people? I assumed everyone else was struggling with this weird bug in silence. Sometimes hitting ctrl+s loads my post, but usually not.

In the user control panel bookmarks after I've posted in the thread, it says that there's 1 new post in the thread(mine) despite me having posted it myself. And of course until someone else posts I can't view it, so it keeps saying "1" there until then even if I click it. It's very odd.

Fwiw I can see ironicdong's post as the last post in the thread right now from android awful.app. (Or right up until I hit post I guess.)

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

StrangeAeon posted:

Man, what the hell. I downloaded the starter pack that was linked a page or three ago, and my computer started screaming about a trojan. Anyone else have problems with it?

Assuming it was a pack with dfhack or other utilities, they modify the state of the game in a way that can put a good antivirus program's hackles up. As far as I know though, nobody has ever attempted to bundle a virus with DF utilities.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

this is a known server-side caching bug that shows up now and again, but I've never heard of it being consistently triggered by a particular person's posting before.

congrats :)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I had it happen with IronicDongz, I've also had it happen with a Lareine post in this thread. That was what prompted my largely pointless post about preferring world gen in ascii, actually: I wanted to get rid of the annoying 1-unread-post button.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VerdantSquire posted:

by the way, never turn that off. There is literally no reason to not have everyone harvest plants, since it doesn't train any labors.
When did this change? It used to train farming.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

yeah you'd better get on that

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Zereth posted:

When did this change? It used to train farming.

I believe it still trains a small amount. I disable all-gather once I get more than one farmer, not sure if they level faster because of it or not but I micro anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is there a disadvantage to having dwarfs trained in farming? Does it impede their training in other skills or something

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

Is there a disadvantage to having dwarfs trained in farming? Does it impede their training in other skills or something

You can have every dwarf gain one eighth of a skill level in farming and be distracted from their real work, or you can have your farmers gain all that farming exp themselves while your weapon smiths smith weapons. Option two may involve a certain amount of food rotting on the vine.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
If you are that stretched for dwarfpower then your fortress is really shoddily designed. I can run clothing, farming, brewing, crafting, mechanics, masonry, mining, and metalworking industry on 20 dwarven workers with the other 20 as haulers. I don't breed livestock, I have them slaughtered immediately and a couple of the haulers will pop off to do the deed and tan the hides. Carpentry is also redundant except for beds and so it gets put into the "as needed" pile with butchery, tanning, gem cutting, etc. So long as they have their own tasks assigned they'll do their own damned job and leave picking to the idler pool.

For reference, I run a fort with a strict fortress population cap of 80, the child cap being 40. I still have too many dwarves in my opinion and finding tasks for them to do is a chore.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

You can have every dwarf gain one eighth of a skill level in farming and be distracted from their real work, or you can have your farmers gain all that farming exp themselves while your weapon smiths smith weapons. Option two may involve a certain amount of food rotting on the vine.

option one has literally never been a problem for me ever. I've almost never get into a situation where a dwarf stops doing their job to harvest a plant ever since the job prioritization update.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:black101:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That's easily the most coherent combat log I've ever read

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Dwarf Fortress 0.42.06 now available for download!

:frog: posted:

Here's the material and image specification release, along with several important bug fixes. There's more to be done with job settings -- we need to improve work orders and allow the decoration of specific objects, to name a few, but this should be a good start.

New stuff
  • Can set specific job material in job details
  • Added jobs to construct the various specific crafts
  • Can specify images in statue, figurine, engraving, decorate jobs to varying degrees
  • Can specify group's symbol at embark
  • Can specify type of decoration
  • Added adv mode bone craft carving with image specification

Major bug fixes
  • Counted exported wealth properly again (old saves will start counting w/ next caravan that leaves)
  • Flour, dye, seeds etc. not dumped out of bags into barrels
  • Allowed captured intelligent non-residents to be chained/caged/pitted again
  • Various useful objects like minecarts and goblets no longer ownable as personal possessions
  • Made ownable objects that aren't worn storeable again
  • Fixed problem causing some surface-underground sites to become disconnected

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Allowed travel map to be shown even when you can't travel
  • "Really attack?" gives more information
  • Show adv companions by first name in announcements etc.
  • Used adjectives from physical descriptions for use in adv mode creature designations
  • Stopped premature elevation of wagons to historical status
  • Fixed missing space when reporting success on beast mission

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oooooooh.

e: The only raw changes are a stack of Adventure mode specific reactions for carving poo poo from bones. This'll make migrating mods easy, at least.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 11, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Honestly I think I'm about as pleased with being able to set images for statues and such as I am with libraries and temples and the latest features. Because no longer do we have to pray we get the right statue for a tomb or temple or such.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah no this is a huge step away from Adlib Fortress. Should be a great addition to community forts, too. Doubly so since there's been no reasonable way to do this through DFHack either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That seems pretty cool, yeah. Choosing a symbol at embark is also something I know I'll be spending time trying to make sense(and then trying to them the fort around...?)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

hmmm hmm hmmmmm engraving floors wait what's this Details button?

WELL now

how boring!!! we must invent our own

Specify new image, alright, choose Creature from the list of topics

yeah that'll get the message across

now the actions and relationships unlock!

a few more broad strokes and

perfection

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

now i want to get into df again

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
So beautiful.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

OK it's time. IT'S TIME.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Time to use strategically chosen animals to make my walls spell things.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The DFHack automaterial plugin still has a little mileage left. Only the fiddlier jobs have [D]etails that can be altered.

And who the gently caress would make large gems out of wood. :psydwarf:

reading
Jul 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

The DFHack automaterial plugin still has a little mileage left. Only the fiddlier jobs have [D]etails that can be altered.

Why the hell did DF start considering all rocks and minerals at the gem cutters? It used to only show actual gems, now you can cut and polish limestone or granite or whatever bullshit stone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

etsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

reading posted:

Why the hell did DF start considering all rocks and minerals at the gem cutters? It used to only show actual gems, now you can cut and polish limestone or granite or whatever bullshit stone.

When he added to the gemstone industry in, what, version 0.34? I guess it was to make a difference between the translucent faceted gem-gems and opaque polished beads like turquoise and jet.

But no lol you can grind any old piece of sandstone into cabochons