Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ImpactVector posted:

No, yes, yes, no you don't.

Metamechs

Wow I got sent nearly the exact same thing from my friend except there's 2 armor shuffled around to the rear center torso.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=300&l=2d80d18f61df93ed19963cb1de15c0ca2b25f9d3

Do I hang around people getting missiled before the brawl and be an ECM buddy before they charge and it's time to go hunting butts? Why does this have so many heat sinks? Can it fire that medium laser for forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ImpactVector posted:

No, yes, yes, no you don't.

Metamechs

surely you'd put that ammo in the legs and head only, yeah?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

veedubfreak posted:

Tweaked a smidge, simply because I can protect my right side better than my left.
Cause, Why Not

Madness!

But in all seriousness, I'd drop one of the SPLs off the arm just so that you don't have to worry about hitting ghost heat or working with weird 6/1 or 4/3 weapon groupings, and get a DHS back so you don't overheat _quite_ as quickly.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Something I've been meaning to ask you guys is what the optimal ammo counts for stuff is since I'm only familiar with SRMs, and the AC20 at about 25 shots per mount. Specifically how many shots should I be aiming for with the smaller ACs and I guess LRMs?

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Personally, I stuck two tons of ammo per UAC5 on my Jaguar, totaling six tons and 360 rounds. That seems like a lot, but with gun-wad mechs you want to be able to take awkward shots and use suppressing fire and not care. I've run out a few times, but mostly during rear end-roll games where I get to run around firing nonstop.

I bet two tons per LRM launcher would leave you short, especially if you're using LRM20s, and especially if you want to take a chance at spewing missiles on every target, so I'd go up to three or even four tons per.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I don't think targeting computers work with lbx autocannons.

I literally can't fill the tonnage so I dont even care.

I just watched 11 pubbies turn around to kill a firestarter. The firestarter never even died. They all did though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Olesh posted:

Press O to win fights, and pack a Cool Shot 9x9.

Your main weapons are the SRMs, and you can fire those basically forever until the cows come home - if you fire them on cooldown, your net heat generated will slowly go up. Since you can shoot all four without hitting ghost heat, you can torso twist freely in between shots using the stormcrow's hilariously good twist rate. So long as you aren't firing the SPLs at high heat, you won't go into dangerously high levels of overheat and you can back off the trigger when there's nothing immediately threatening you. In an emergency, you can pop your cool shot to give you an extra burst of SPL fire while giving you extra time with the missiles before going back into overheat territory, but it's usually not necessary unless you're in a protracted fight.

I've tried and it's incredibly funny, I need some more practice but I was blowing components off in the first volley and getting up to 600 damage is a breeze.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I tend to carry 100 srms per 6 launcher
3 tons of AC20
1080 lrms for 40 tubes
AC 5/10 really usually depends on the mech I'm using and what else I'm carrying.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

This sounds like the premise of a mediocre Youtube series

Yes, yes it does.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Scared, idiot?

Either missing the tone of your post or you're insulting me :( I think it would be a fun personal challenge.

Was I being a dick?

Krinkle posted:

How do you play yours, same as the 3m build posted but with an ECM? All short range artemis missiles?

The build that ImpactVector posted.

It's nice when you can swing wide and shove SRMs up a LRMboats rear end.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Unhappy Meal posted:

Something I've been meaning to ask you guys is what the optimal ammo counts for stuff is since I'm only familiar with SRMs, and the AC20 at about 25 shots per mount. Specifically how many shots should I be aiming for with the smaller ACs and I guess LRMs?

For ACs, 3 tons of ammo per launcher is usually okay, Think about it like this - if you want to be able to shoot your AC/20 25 times before running out of ammo, remember that AC/5s fire more than twice as fast, so you need to be able to shoot your AC/5s around 50 times to maintain a rough equivalent. For a regular AC/5, 2 tons of ammo (60 shots) per launcher is okay, but you might want to pack extra so you can shoot more freely at range where you're more likely to miss and waste ammo.
For SRMs, generally per launcher an SRM2 is half a ton, SRM4 is one ton, and SRM6 is a ton and a half of ammo, minimum. If you're relying mainly/exclusively on SRMs, of course, you'll probably want more.

For LRMs, it's harder to judge, because you want to balance throwing out more missiles quickly early on (early damage is more valuable than late damage) with the need to not run out of ammo and be useless during the match, but going for 25-30 shots per mount is probably not a bad rule to stick to. I do reasonably okay with 7 tons of ammo on my 2xLRM20A 4xERML Timber Wolf, but realistically 6 tons of ammo, 2xLRM15A, and 4xERML plus 1xERLL is probably a better build overall.
For MGs, it's half a ton per MG. MG ammo goes a long way.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Trip report for the GOOD PURCHAS pirates bane build:

I did 90 damage while chasing SRM6 storm crows around and cutting off all their limbs.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Commoners posted:

Trip report for the GOOD PURCHAS pirates bane build:

I did 90 damage while chasing SRM6 storm crows around and cutting off all their limbs.

Now I just want to do this with a group of Pirate' Banes. It would be so awful.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Someone go get a picture of other mechs near those weird plants to be sure, but I don't think this thing is very big for a heavy.
:peanut:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sard posted:

Someone go get a picture of other mechs near those weird plants to be sure, but I don't think this thing is very big for a heavy.

I think a hunchback might be taller.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Stringbean posted:

Either missing the tone of your post or you're insulting me :( I think it would be a fun personal challenge.

Was I being a dick?

four flamers, no tonnage for mercy

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Sard posted:

~Not-A-Blackjack~

At least almost all of its mounts are at cockpit height so anything you can see you should be able to hit. Still, 60 tons is still gonna hurt it pretty badly even with decent quirks.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I took apart one griffin, put it inside another. I hated the results. I put everything back together as best I could remember, but found extra room? I don't know how? So I put medium lasers on it so I'd have something in addition to the 4 SRMs. And now on top of my weapon groups is the error message, which never loving goes away "no active probe sensor equipped"

Google shrugs when I ask what's up. Nobody has put those five words in that order, ever, google says.

Setting my weapons groups up was like doing a rubiks cube in the dark because I couldn't get all my lasers on one key and all my missiles on another, and keep them off chain fire. I couldn't do this. I spent half of the match trying to squint and see past the baffling "no active probe sensor equipped" error message.

Okay so I forgot to put back the beagle active probe which came stock on the Griffin 3m but why did it give a poo poo? What does it matter? None of my other mechs have one why does removing it mean I have to get my UI blocked with a nagging messge I can't do anything about once deployed?
http://i.imgur.com/DqWabHr.jpg For reference

e: I never had one in the first place, I mean I didn't sell one, and I don't have one installed anywhere, why did it do this to me?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 11, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Krinkle posted:

I took apart one griffin, put it inside another. I hated the results. I put everything back together as best I could remember, but found extra room? I don't know how? So I put medium lasers on it so I'd have something in addition to the 4 SRMs. And now on top of my weapon groups is the error message, which never loving goes away "no active probe sensor equipped"

Google shrugs when I ask what's up. Nobody has put those five words in that order, ever, google says.

Setting my weapons groups up was like doing a rubiks cube in the dark because I couldn't get all my lasers on one key and all my missiles on another, and keep them off chain fire. I couldn't do this. I spent half of the match trying to squint and see past the baffling "no active probe sensor equipped" error message.

Okay so I forgot to put back the beagle active probe which came stock on the Griffin 3m but why did it give a poo poo? What does it matter? None of my other mechs have one why does removing it mean I have to get my UI blocked with a nagging messge I can't do anything about once deployed?

e: I never had one in the first place, I mean I didn't sell one, and I don't have one installed anywhere, why did it do this to me?

PGI contracted a company to write the game for them, they are just the maintenance team and the original programmers are long gone and unreachable. I don't think they could even program in a FFA game mode.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Krinkle posted:

19 needs to pass this on. You shouldn't HAVE to read a manual to play a game anymore. If :pgi: feels differently, I better get a cloth map too.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I've had bugs like that pop up for other messages, you might fix it by just restarting.

Washout posted:

PGI contracted a company to write the game for them, they are just the maintenance team and the original programmers are long gone and unreachable. I don't think they could even program in a FFA game mode.

THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
NOOBTUBE

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Edit: stupid misquote

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The Rifleman's quirk is that it's half the height of a Grasshopper or a Shadowhawk, it's a total win

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Washout posted:

The first half is completely false. The second half is only partially true. Many of the original programmers have moved on to other jobs as people in the games industry often do. About half the original programmers are still on staff though and do have extensive knowledge of the code base.

Lots of things get refactored behind the scenes and never make it into the patch notes. I'd say about half the actually changes get published if that. A lot of the work on the backend services is completely invisible to the end user but also has to have bugs fixed and new functionality added but we don't publish much of that because it's pretty dull stuff.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

armchairyoda posted:

19 needs to pass this on. You shouldn't HAVE to read a manual to play a game anymore. If :pgi: feels differently, I better get a cloth map too.

I will see if I can reproduce this tomorrow. I've never seen this hapoe before and is he first I've ever heard of it.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Number19 posted:

I will see if I can reproduce this tomorrow. I've never seen this hapoe before and is he first I've ever heard of it.

I have had this happen as well. If you are changing things in the mechbay, sometimes a tooltip remains persistent when you launch and play a match. It goes away if you relaunch or have another tooltip pop up and properly vanish.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Number19 posted:

The first half is completely false. The second half is only partially true. Many of the original programmers have moved on to other jobs as people in the games industry often do. About half the original programmers are still on staff though and do have extensive knowledge of the code base.

Lots of things get refactored behind the scenes and never make it into the patch notes. I'd say about half the actually changes get published if that. A lot of the work on the backend services is completely invisible to the end user but also has to have bugs fixed and new functionality added but we don't publish much of that because it's pretty dull stuff.

Why does russ always say bullshit like: "there will never be melee combat we can't animate the arms" or "We can't do 4 legged mechs" this stuff is not really that hard... not to mention still never rewriting the turret code to allow for better base defenses. It seems like pgi can't code anything. Solaris arena mode should be something someone could do pretty easily as well, yet it's taken years to even get something other than the stock game mode.

I mean we came super close to the urbenmech game mode only for that to get axed at 5% short or something minuscule. Or making feet/legs/walk animations match to terrain etc. Stuff that should be trivial to add yet PGI can't.

From a user perspective it seems like gross incompetence at best.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 11, 2016

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Washout posted:

Why does russ always say bullshit like: "there will never be melee combat we can't animate the arms" or "We can't do 4 legged mechs" this stuff is not really that hard... not to mention still never rewriting the turret code to allow for better base defenses. It seems like pgi can't code anything. Solaris arena mode should be something someone could do pretty easily as well, yet it's taken years to even get something other than the stock game mode.

I mean we came super close to the urbenmech game mode only for that to get axed at $10k short or something minuscule. Or making feet/legs/walk animations match to terrain etc. Stuff that should be trivial to add yet PGI can't.

I believe the turret code is being rewritten for the new assault mode update so there's that. Solaris is still in the design phase as far as I know so maybe point your questions in that direction as well? An urbanmech only mode would also have to get designed first. Melee was never in the original game design and it will take more than just code to get that up and running. Design needs to design how they want it to work, art has to work with code so implement the weapons and animations so it all works. Quad mechs are the same thing: the movement code wasn't written to ever account for four legged mechs because we made a design decision early on not to do quad mechs. Adding it now requires a full pass. A programmer can't just start putting in quad mechs or melee; it needs a design doc first, then get handed off the the project manager to scope out the work required and handle scheduling, then get worked on when the resources free up to implement it.

Inverse kinematics is a server load thing from what I remember. As the game got more complex some things that we had in beta had to get cut to make the game perform properly. That doesn't mean they won't ever be back.

All of the above is ancillary to your original point though: the game's coding was never outsourced (aside from an audio contractor who does most of his work in studio) and all the work on it was done in the studio. I can go through the code revision history and look at the commits from when it started. We had a partnership with a publisher who provided marketing and QA for the project but all of the actual art, code, design, and the rest was done here. That partnership ended over a year ago and now it's us doing all of it.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Washout posted:

I mean we came super close to the urbenmech game mode only for that to get axed at 5% short or something minuscule. Or making feet/legs/walk animations match to terrain etc. Stuff that should be trivial to add yet PGI can't.

<3

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

TeeMerk posted:

<3

I painted all my toy soldiers in house. Also I wouldn't play tabletop battletech against anyone without fully painted miniatures.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Number19 posted:

I believe the turret code is being rewritten for the new assault mode update so there's that. Solaris is still in the design phase as far as I know so maybe point your questions in that direction as well? An urbanmech only mode would also have to get designed first. Melee was never in the original game design and it will take more than just code to get that up and running. Design needs to design how they want it to work, art has to work with code so implement the weapons and animations so it all works. Quad mechs are the same thing: the movement code wasn't written to ever account for four legged mechs because we made a design decision early on not to do quad mechs. Adding it now requires a full pass. A programmer can't just start putting in quad mechs or melee; it needs a design doc first, then get handed off the the project manager to scope out the work required and handle scheduling, then get worked on when the resources free up to implement it.

Inverse kinematics is a server load thing from what I remember. As the game got more complex some things that we had in beta had to get cut to make the game perform properly. That doesn't mean they won't ever be back.

All of the above is ancillary to your original point though: the game's coding was never outsourced (aside from an audio contractor who does most of his work in studio) and all the work on it was done in the studio. I can go through the code revision history and look at the commits from when it started. We had a partnership with a publisher who provided marketing and QA for the project but all of the actual art, code, design, and the rest was done here. That partnership ended over a year ago and now it's us doing all of it.
This is awesome info, and thanks for answering my obviously inflammatory questions, but still the rate of change on the game is glacial.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Number19 posted:

Adding it now requires a full pass. A programmer can't just start putting in quad mechs or melee; it needs a design doc first, then get handed off the the project manager to scope out the work required and handle scheduling, then get worked on when the resources free up to implement it.

Real programmers shoot from the hip and chafe under such restrictions

I say this the same day I just finished writing up documentation for my current work project so it can be approved and scheduled :negative:

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
drat, urbies are cheap. I thought the sale was still on but it ended yesterday.

Should I impulse buy a trashcan? Does the fun give way to frustration too fast? I can't decide what to put in my fifth mech slot anyway

Also goddamn this metamechs guy is really into large lasers. Like, 40% of his builds are just stacks of large lasers and heat sinks.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 11, 2016

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Tujague posted:

Should I impulse buy a trashcan? Does the fun give way to frustration too fast? I can't decide what to put in my fifth mech slot anyway

Also goddamn this metamechs guy is really into large lasers. Like, 40% of his builds are just stacks of large lasers and heat sinks.

Urbanmechs aren't horrible, but run them with goons. You need to upgrade the hell out of them, double heatsinks, new engines, etc. for them to be useful, but they can be interesting to run from time to time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Number19 posted:

I would say this is actually a huge PR mistake. PGI has a massive competence/caring perception problem it's rightly earned and one of the few ways it can walk that back is to publish full patch notes with a hundred lines of backend minor changes that nobody will really read or understand because what matters when people think you are lazy and not actually doing anything is showing off a list of a hundred things you have done.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's me, I'm the bad who dies early so I can browse pubbie builds to find out why we're losing and blame them for it.

:ughh:

Number19 posted:

we made a design decision

Is that also why we can't have hot pink paint?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Tujague posted:

They're totally fine, you just have to play them like a flanking medium and stick with the mediums.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope, I don't know why on this one but in know it's not a design thing

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's me, I'm the bad who dies early so I can browse pubbie builds to find out why we're losing and blame them for it.

:ughh:

I'll raise you this Atlas, at least he was on the enemy team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can get hot pink, just buy the Heavy Metal

• Locked thread