Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I admit I was a little disappointed to learn that Joshua didn't crossdress in SC. A missed opportunity that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Joshua seems infinitely more comfortable crossdressing there than he did either time in FC.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm personally glad the gag comedy falcom high school universe finally gave renne and tita an opportunity to play together and be friends

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe you'll see just that in the inevitable Calvard arc, with Renne and Tita having cameo roles. Assuming the Calvard arc advances the timeline and doesn't just have it running parallel to the events of other games, like the Crossbell games and Erebonia games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Falcom Academy is amazing.

I say this after a mere two episodes. I'm leery to watch more while at work.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think the manga falcom gakuen hits the punchlines better but I did read it first so it might just be due to that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk about the manga but the anime has sexy naked olivier and sexy naked dark fact so it's good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finally beat Loewe after a couple of tries and then the game crashed for the first time in 80 hours during the ensuing cutscene :negative:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RIP

if it's enough for you to know you beat him, even if the game thinks otherwise, you could just lose than choose continue

or maybe it autosaved or something

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I actually heard the final dungeon area of SC was a bit glitchy, where it's possible to skip boss fights entirely against the Enforcers so I'm kind of glad everyone worked fine for me through to the ending.

I'm liking Trails of Cold Steel but it definitely feels a bit different in tone so far, it doesn't feel very much like the Trails in the Sky games despite having mostly the exact same gameplay and Olivier being in it. Or maybe it's just jarring going from the highs of SC to the beginnings of Cold Steel and I'd imagine playing through 3rd, Zero and Ao would act as a buffer between the two games.

On a slightly different note, I looked up the gameplay of Xanadu Next earlier since Xseed plan to bring that over to Steam at some point. Would I be right in assuming that the gameplay is similar to the likes of Diablo? I saw a lot of clicking on enemies, going to town and selling vendor trash.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm liking Trails of Cold Steel but it definitely feels a bit different in tone so far, it doesn't feel very much like the Trails in the Sky games despite having mostly the exact same gameplay and Olivier being in it. Or maybe it's just jarring going from the highs of SC to the beginnings of Cold Steel and I'd imagine playing through 3rd, Zero and Ao would act as a buffer between the two games.

Assuming that by "Buffer", you mean "The exact same thing happening with Zero, and then the sequence starting over again with the Ao to CS transition", then yeah.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I'm listening to Tokyo Xanadu's soundtrack right now and I want this game now.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

On a slightly different note, I looked up the gameplay of Xanadu Next earlier since Xseed plan to bring that over to Steam at some point. Would I be right in assuming that the gameplay is similar to the likes of Diablo? I saw a lot of clicking on enemies, going to town and selling vendor trash.

there are similarities to diablo, the core framework of how it plays is identical, but the level design has more in common with a mix of zelda and metroid, where all the different areas form a giant interconnected labyrinth and you need to find special items that give you new abilities that are required to bypass certain obstacles, and the loot system throws away most randomization and is instead identical to how it functions in castlevania, with every unique area of the dungeon having its own set of gear you'll find dropping from enemies, including a unique weapon with a special effect that you can learn by using it enough, and then apply that to any other weapons you find alongside all the other effects you've learned.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

there are similarities to diablo, the core framework of how it plays is identical, but the level design has more in common with a mix of zelda and metroid, where all the different areas form a giant interconnected labyrinth and you need to find special items that give you new abilities that are required to bypass certain obstacles, and the loot system throws away most randomization and is instead identical to how it functions in castlevania, with every unique area of the dungeon having its own set of gear you'll find dropping from enemies, including a unique weapon with a special effect that you can learn by using it enough, and then apply that to any other weapons you find alongside all the other effects you've learned.

So... it's better than Diablo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Supremezero posted:

So... it's better than Diablo.

it's a really good game, speaking from experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDWjSbuA44

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

RIP

if it's enough for you to know you beat him, even if the game thinks otherwise, you could just lose than choose continue

or maybe it autosaved or something
Yeah autosaves didn't save me, but I beat him two more tries after that. It seems to come down to a bit of luck and using Clock Down on everyone so you get a lot more turns.

I actually just beat the final boss and am taking a little break before the credits or whatever, nice that they let you save between beating the boss and that. It's also hilarious that I used pretty much exactly the same strategy to beat the final boss in FC: group everyone together in front of the boss, continuously cast Earth Wall, and just wail on him with everyone else. I think I only got hit once or twice.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

I mean, I don't think anyone was going to question that a Falcom game had awesome music.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

:stwoon:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah autosaves didn't save me, but I beat him two more tries after that. It seems to come down to a bit of luck and using Clock Down on everyone so you get a lot more turns.

I actually just beat the final boss and am taking a little break before the credits or whatever, nice that they let you save between beating the boss and that. It's also hilarious that I used pretty much exactly the same strategy to beat the final boss in FC: group everyone together in front of the boss, continuously cast Earth Wall, and just wail on him with everyone else. I think I only got hit once or twice.

man you could have saved yourself some time and spared the earth wall, final boss is a chump

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't even need to cast Wall a lot of times because he'd only target one person a lot, so I could settle for just Guard. Yeah it was pretty easy, dude just had a ton of HP so it took a while.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgS2G4nP6FQ

i love xanadu next so much. falcom games always have awesome music, but xanadu next is the absolute best example of them taking that musical talent and using it not just to complement the game, but arguably making it a core part of the experience, the story, the atmosphere the game creates. none of falcom's other games really come near matching the sense of mystery and dread that xanadu next has, it's really awesome.

that said, i still look forward to the fun anime adventures of tokyo xanadu

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And at 91 hours (:stare:) I'm done. God that was a great game. Can't levy enough praise for it, I liked just about facet even if some boss battles were annoying. Really can't think of another JRPG franchise with such superlative worldbuilding, it's both thrilling to know there are so many more game set in that world and vexing that a large portion will remain untranslated...for now at least.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Nate RFB posted:

That works well as long as you remember not to try and earth-wall tank his "Ruined World Noaba"-move. (the one where he uses a laser from his tail to blast a hole in the battlefield) Not only does it ignore earth guard, it perma-vanishes whoever it hits. Some people were caught off-guard by it. Other than that, yeah, he's fairly easy. I was surprised to learn that buffed-up physicals were quite a lot more effective than art spamming against this one.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I actually heard the final dungeon area of SC was a bit glitchy, where it's possible to skip boss fights entirely against the Enforcers so I'm kind of glad everyone worked fine for me through to the ending.

...so, wait. Was there actually a fight with Renne in the last dungeon in SC and I just somehow skipped it? Because since I beat the game it's been bugging me that her whole plot was completely unresolved.

Edit: Wow, so that sucks. In my game I had that fight with her at the Tetracyclic Tower and after that she just kinda hosed off out of my game.

hamburgers in pockets fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 11, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hamburgers in pockets posted:

...so, wait. Was there actually a fight with Renne in the last dungeon in SC and I just somehow skipped it? Because since I beat the game it's been bugging me that her whole plot was completely unresolved.

yes

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Edit: Wow, so that sucks. In my game I had that fight with her at the Tetracyclic Tower and after that she just kinda hosed off out of my game.

If the final two characters aren't recruited, you can skip that fight and the intro cutscene to the tower. Sara is aware of this bug.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think leaving the tower (and the screens leading to it) at any point is enough to avoid the bug, since that'll trigger the intro cutscene and then the later scenes, but I'm not 100% sure

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hah, so that's why the intro cutscene only triggered while i was heading back to recruit zane

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Cake Attack posted:

I think leaving the tower (and the screens leading to it) at any point is enough to avoid the bug, since that'll trigger the intro cutscene and then the later scenes, but I'm not 100% sure

I think it's more that the trigger for the intro cutscene is behind where it places you after the intro battle, so you just have to turn around and walk away after that battle. It's weird.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cyouni posted:

I think it's more that the trigger for the intro cutscene is behind where it places you after the intro battle, so you just have to turn around and walk away after that battle. It's weird.

The cutscene triggers if you walk back one screen (towards the railway station) upon arriving in the axis pillar district, so you trigger the bug if, at that point, you go straight to the top of the axis pillar without ever going back to switch characters, get new quartz or re-supply.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I did go back to the Ariselle every time I beat an Enforcer and swap out characters, so I had Kloe and Olivier for Bleublanc, Zane for Walter, Sherazard for Luciola, Tita for Renne etc.

So that could be why I avoided that glitch.

That kind of really sucks since the fight with Renne is pretty emotional and heartbreaking and heartwarming. I'd definitely look it up on youtube or load up an autosave just before the fight if you still have them.

EDIT: Listening to the soundtrack of Xanadu Next, it actually sounds like a mix between the music from Diablo 1 and 2 meets King's Field 4: The Ancient City. I'm digging it quite a bit, it sounds very atmospheric.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 11, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

someone translated another one of the Star Doors from 3rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tGGAh1XKg

It's a good one, and pretty relevant to Cold Steel. They also go through the text super fast so prepare to read quickly

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How many are done? A quick youtube search shows 2, 13, and 14 as well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

How many are done? A quick youtube search shows 2, 13, and 14 as well.

It's those three as well as The Girl in Paradise, which is Renne's backstory. Not sure which number that is.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Renne's backstory is door number 15.

I really, really hope 3rd ends up coming over. I've loved the cast of FC and SC enough that having them get one final adventure together alongside what looks to be some fairly heavy backstory for each of the characters would be great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

someone translated another one of the Star Doors from 3rd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tGGAh1XKg

It's a good one, and pretty relevant to Cold Steel. They also go through the text super fast so prepare to read quickly

That was really really good. Tons of great tidbits that directly feed into Cold Steel.

I want to play the rest of 3rd.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How big is 3rd text-wise, anyway? Has to be a lot smaller than SC at least. It had seemed implied previously that the main reason it wouldn't get translated was that so much of it was setup for future games that would never come out, but with Cold Steel puttering along I'd wonder whether that at least is no longer the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nate RFB posted:

How big is 3rd text-wise, anyway? Has to be a lot smaller than SC at least. It had seemed implied previously that the main reason it wouldn't get translated was that so much of it was setup for future games that would never come out, but with Cold Steel puttering along I'd wonder whether that at least is no longer the case.

Smallest in the series, due to a relative lack of NPCs.