Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Eskaton posted:

Not even that materializes. Your ending is the only one that mostly works.

Interesting. So what happens if you fully commit to the Delilah thing? Does she take you up on your offer to be with her at the end? It would slightly suck to me if that isn't an option but it just says something else about Delilah as a character. You can still "change" Henry.

Robiben fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Liked this a lot. I agree with someone earlier in the thread that the ending being a "let down" for some people is sort of the point - you're experiencing exactly what Henry and Delilah are, which is imagining this huge conspiracy in your head and getting all worked up about that only to learn that, no, real life isn't like that and also you've abandoned your wife etc. It felt really grounded and poignant and it made me feel really linked to Henry and Delilah.

Loved the music, and this game is absolutely gorgeous. My biggest regret is I never found the turtle. I also could've done with a longer game with more mundane conversations - I agree with what a few people have said about how things amp up a little fast.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really enjoyed the game. I figured out the ending by about the time that I found the thing in the cave and I was surprised that Henry didn't. But I really liked it, the people were nice and genuine, the dialogue funny. I just wish I had had the opportunity for more people to see the 4 different tortoises that I had gathered.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Liked this a lot. I agree with someone earlier in the thread that the ending being a "let down" for some people is sort of the point - you're experiencing exactly what Henry and Delilah are, which is imagining this huge conspiracy in your head and getting all worked up about that only to learn that, no, real life isn't like that and also you've abandoned your wife etc. It felt really grounded and poignant and it made me feel really linked to Henry and Delilah.
This is what I have to disagree with. You already know that from the beginning, don't you? I mean it's pretty explicit in the prologue that he's running away. The ending for some reason revolves around beating that in and that's the entire thing. Henry doesn't change nor Delilah.

I was hoping the entire time that Julia died just so the story could actually move on and catalyze character development.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 11, 2016

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Eskaton posted:

This is what I have to disagree with. You already know that from the beginning, don't you? I mean it's pretty explicit in the prologue that he's running away. The ending for some reason revolves around beating that in and that's the entire thing. Henry doesn't change nor Delilah.

I was hoping the entire time that Julia died just so the story could actually move on and catalyze character development.

No they totally change. Delilah stops being a firewatcher at the very least, possibly because of Brian's death. I told her to be with her Sister and she said she would do it. Henry does change, at least in my game he thought about Julia a lot and in the end made a plan to go see her. It would be interesting to know if stuff changes, like if you can hook up with Delilah if you push it in that direction, but generally I don't like to know what other choices mean as it kinda ruins the "magic" if you will.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Did anyone else happen to read all of Henry's typewritten journals? It really bothered me that you couldn't actually pick them up and had to rely on camera zoom, because there's some really good insight towards his background/inner thoughts in there.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just beat the game, enjoyed every second of it. I was surprised the game didnt take one of my decisions into account.

So at the beginning when you get the camera Delilah tells you not to take any pictures that might scare a Photodome employee. So naturally, once I found Bryan's corpse I snapped a couple pics. Surprised I didnt get a "what the gently caress" note or something.

Jagwires
May 31, 2009
I just finished the whole game in one sitting and agree with the general dislike for the ending. I assumed Brian was dead as soon as I found his backpack and Delilah explained who he was. I did not like the Ned part with all of his weird ploys that were supposed to throw you off his trail, but did the exact opposite. It just didn't make sense. Why leave out a key that opens the door to the thing you're hiding?

I really wish Brian, the missing girls, and the guy on the missing poster were all connected and the story was focused on finding out what happened to them.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Jagwires posted:

I just finished the whole game in one sitting and agree with the general dislike for the ending. I assumed Brian was dead as soon as I found his backpack and Delilah explained who he was. I did not like the Ned part with all of his weird ploys that were supposed to throw you off his trail, but did the exact opposite. It just didn't make sense. Why leave out a key that opens the door to the thing you're hiding?

I really wish Brian, the missing girls, and the guy on the missing poster were all connected and the story was focused on finding out what happened to them.

:ssh: It's a bad series of subplots that doesn't connect very well and completely fizzles out in the end but don't you SEE THAT'S WHY IT'S SO GOOD

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
(ending) Ned was planning to lock Henry in the cave (the dialogue doesn't seem to always trigger but he locks the gate when you enter) which is why the backpack was alarmed so he'd know when it was taken.

The missing girls are also explained if you poke around enough. They were a red herring as Ned had nothing to do with their disappearance. They'd left the park and got arrested eventually. The game is full of red herrings and some of them aren't really that well put together.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So one of the books is named THE PATRIOTS by Donald Anderson. Subtle.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The books are mostly references to other games. It's kind of wonderful.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

One of them is the book that the dad from Gone Home wrote.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The books are mostly references to other games. It's kind of wonderful.

My memory of Gone Home is a bit spotty, but the book the father was working on in that game is in Firewatch I'm pretty sure (The Accidental Saviour or something?). I did enjoy checking out the books, that library supply cache is great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do the Bloodborne and TLOU references appear in the PC version or did hey just stick those in for PS4?

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
The book Terminal 7 is named after a podcast of the same name on the Idle Thumbs network. In a 2nd playthrough I'm going to hunt these down more.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Funky Valentine posted:

So one of the books is named THE PATRIOTS by Donald Anderson. Subtle.

Another is TERMINAL 7 by Nels Andersen. https://www.idlethumbs.net/terminal7

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I've finished this. Pretty good game overall, and I thought the ending was pretty good. So, sooo glad they didn't abandon everything the game was about to go for the dumb conspiracy route.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I wonder how people who find the ending anticlimactic feel about every third or so Coen brothers movie, where the big elaborate plot winds up just being a bunch of broken people bumping into each other.

Eskaton posted:

They both run away to the forest only to encounter a manifestation of what they'll become if they continue down this path, and it's heavily implied in their last conversation that both of them are more willing to face reality now that they've seen what running from it can do to a person. It's pretty clearly a shock to both of their systems.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I didn't like it. Welp, bye.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sethsez posted:

I wonder how people who find the ending anticlimactic feel about every third or so Coen brothers movie, where the big elaborate plot winds up just being a bunch of broken people bumping into each other.

I didn't hate the ending but I felt it was anticlimactic. I didn't need a big conspiracy or anything , I just didn't feel like it gave me much to think about. It was just like "ok that's what was happening now it's over". There's nothing objectively wrong with that I guess, but it left me feeling sort of unsatisfied. Felt a bit like the end of an epsisode of scooby doo or something to me.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

sethsez posted:

They both run away to the forest only to encounter a manifestation of what they'll become if they continue down this path, and it's heavily implied in their last conversation that both of them are more willing to face reality now that they've seen what running from it can do to a person. It's pretty clearly a shock to both of their systems.

As a player who kinda saw it coming, it doesn't really do me.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Eskaton posted:

As a player who kinda saw it coming, it doesn't really do me.

I mean, it's certainly not shocking. The game opens with you running away from your mentally-ill wife to work alone in the forest for an entire summer. The fact that the plot deals with this and the story concludes with the main character coming to terms with things is hardly surprising, but I never got the impression it was supposed to be, and it really doesn't feel fair to say he ends in the same place he started.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Best thing about this game is that there's finally a game on Steam I have 100% achievements for!

It was good though. Very grounded and "real" in that fictional sense. Watched a few videos of the beginning of the game and I can't believe how much dialogue I missed before I clued completely in to how everything worked. Like this mythical turtle I also passed by I wonder how much I missed elsewhere. Now for Oxenfree.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Robiben posted:

Interesting. So what happens if you fully commit to the Delilah thing? Does she take you up on your offer to be with her at the end? It would slightly suck to me if that isn't an option but it just says something else about Delilah as a character. You can still "change" Henry.

About fully committing to Delilah, I did with the intention of leaving the wife behind to rot out her last days of sanity in Australia with her parents. Nothing changes. You and Delilah do have that one midnight where she says some mildly steamy stuff and walkie-talkie sex is implied, but nothing else really ever materializes. At the end you can ask her to wait for you, but she leaves anyways. Then at the very end you can ask her to move to Boulder with you and she turns you down and tells you to go back to Julia. The entire rest of the conversation Henry gets really mopey like he just lost at Tinder or something. It was honestly a bit of a letdown.

It made me question if there even is any branching story. I don't think there is. I think dialogue may change some of the cute trinkets you find, but no matter what you say everything resolves the same way.

The jump scare is a good jump scare.

Did anyone else find the cassette tape through the clearable brambles near the elk? That song on the tape simply rocked. It was perfectly placed.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Do the Bloodborne and TLOU references appear in the PC version or did hey just stick those in for PS4?

Dunno where to look for the TLOU reference, but I definitely spotted the Bloodborne rune in both of my full playthroughs so far.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mokinokaro posted:

(ending) Ned was planning to lock Henry in the cave (the dialogue doesn't seem to always trigger but he locks the gate when you enter) which is why the backpack was alarmed so he'd know when it was taken.

Yeah this was the only part that was kinda glitchy for me. I just sorta stumbled forward and Henry starts freaking the gently caress out and I had no idea why until a conversation a few minutes later.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Loved the music, and this game is absolutely gorgeous. My biggest regret is I never found the turtle.

For some reason it was standing upright inside of its shell when I found it so maybe there's some physics fuckery going on. Also the correct name is Shelly Duvall.

dmboogie posted:

Did anyone else happen to read all of Henry's typewritten journals? It really bothered me that you couldn't actually pick them up and had to rely on camera zoom, because there's some really good insight towards his background/inner thoughts in there.

Yeah they did such a great job making so many things high-res and interactable that it really stood out when other things weren't.

I really enjoyed the game though I feel like it could have been a bit longer. That might be because I could play a game where you wander around gorgeous countryside reporting things you see to a sarcastic friend and talking about them all goddamn day. The dialog was fantastic.

After beating the game I was hoping there would be an exploration mode maybe with a time of day picker just to roam around the world they built but nope. Best credits sequence ever though.

e: and spoilers obviously but here's my camera roll. I legit thought documenting things I found would be needed for the story :v: https://firewatch.camera/OrangeMojavePark/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh and the theme that plays a few times while exploring reminds me so much of The Regulator that I'm going to have to listen to Clutch all drat day tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ziH7PfCmOY

Not that I need much convincing.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Eskaton posted:

And their site was also trashed and our sheets were sort of plopped there... Screams Ned to me.

I really wanted to like the story, but I just can't.

That was the mama bear that Ned refers to in his log entries. Don't camp around a bear, kids

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I agree with this, and it mirrors my feelings about Gone Home. Just like Firewatch never advertised itself a conspiracy thriller, Gone Home never advertised itself as a spooky haunted house game. But we want to see certain kind of games (the kind we're accustomed to), so for everything to be resolved in a mundane way is unexpected in a game narrative, and I can appreciate that

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 11, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Loved Gone Home. Loved this one. Loved the short length of both.

I appreciated how both hinted at something big and dark, but kept everything pretty small. I think I really just love short, focused, narrative-driven games like this and am really excited that more games are being made like it.

And the intro was perfectly executed and devastating, Christ.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 11, 2016

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Just finished and really liked it. I'm really surprised so many of you didn't enjoy the ending.

Also, Polygon's review includes this little nugget:

Polygon posted:

It all adds up to a game that offers few tough challenges, but many moments of intense concentration. There is one moment, near the end, when the game lets go of the player's hand, and asks perhaps a tiny bit too much lateral thinking and intense exploration, a sharp upward curve in difficulty.

What in the gently caress is this guy talking about?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He probably got stuck on something super dumb and assumed it was the game and not him. But I haven't got a clue what he's talking about either.

The only thing I found occasionally a pain was the stupid map.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Probably one of my favorite off-the-beaten-path story beats is if you take all of the supplies, you get a scene the next day where Delilah's like "you took all of the supplies, didn't you?" and then your counter is just filled to the brim with peanut butter (Bif!), jam, and baked beans cans for the rest of the game.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Good game. Finished it tonight. Many people seem to be complaining about the ending, but I didn't mind it.

It was what it needed to be. It's abrupt, but I felt it mimicked life in that respect. The job is over, even if it didn't have an ideal finish. Life goes on for everyone involved, and they give an idea of where things will go, but nothing is set in stone. It's all about hope, right? And ultimately, I hope everyone involved gets the help they need, the help they deserve. It's sad, somber to think about. I want to think about Henry's life being enriched by the experience and it giving him the strength to continue on. Coming back to civilization will likely be much harder on him than anything he dealt with out in the wilderness, and he knew that. The game was ultimately a small window into the life of a depressed man. I think the poor guy has a very, very hard road ahead of him. I hope it works out... and, unfortunately, that's all I can do.

It's not the first time I've seen such an ending, and I'm sure it won't be the last, but it never really gets easier when poo poo is rather open ended like this. When I can, I like to have clear cut happy or sad endings. When I'm thrown a curveball like this, it's difficult to react. It's very introspective. That's nice every so often, so I don't want to criticize it too much. I think it would be really good for me to play something with a definite happy ending next, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Slanderer posted:

Just like Firewatch never advertised itself a conspiracy thriller

I don't necessarily agree with that. The big reveal trailer at E3 showed all this mundane hiking around while talking to a faceless woman on a walkie talkie, and then ends with a shot of a watch tower, and the girl on the walkie talkie going "if that's not you in your tower... then who is??" and then the trailer ends. It certainly gives this mystery thriller vibe to the game. Doesn't hint at a conspiracy I guess, but the actual end result being nothing more than Old Man Jenkins & The Lake Teens was super disappointing after that trailer. In the end they didn't really advertise the game to be anything, they barely advertised it at all. Everyone is gonna take away a different hope for the game

But like I said I'm someone who doesn't want the mystery to be so grounded and realistic. I get plenty of that in real life.

aborn posted:

Just finished and really liked it. I'm really surprised so many of you didn't enjoy the ending.

Also, Polygon's review includes this little nugget:

Polygon is bad, surprise surprise

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Rich Somner! I knew I recognized that voice. Though I was thinking it was Ted Mosby the whole time.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

aborn posted:

Perhaps the part with the beeping sensor?. Honestly, I'm baffled that anyone would have difficulty with a directional sensor. I mean, it literally tells you exactly where to go and how far away you are. Have they never played "hot hot cold"?

Pure speculation, of course.

That's the only part I found somewhat puzzle-like but I would'nt say the game suddenly let me go, ramped up the difficulty (lol) and left me stranded.

EDIT: Or perhaps the part with the tree and finding the new radio? Apparently the audio cue near the tree can sometimes not fire due to a glitch. Regardless, she's directing you to the tree and there's a cache nearby sooo....

Macaluso's right, though. At the end of the day, its Polygon.

I liked Firewatch but wow...I don't think I played the same game they did, going off that review.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 11, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That would be funny if that was it because it literally makes an arrow in the direction you need to go.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

That would be funny if that was it because it literally makes an arrow in the direction you need to go.

There are printed instructions on the box you get it from, too! I don't know how anyone could gently caress that up.

Unrelated: drat those lovely teens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Macaluso posted:

I don't necessarily agree with that. The big reveal trailer at E3 showed all this mundane hiking around while talking to a faceless woman on a walkie talkie, and then ends with a shot of a watch tower, and the girl on the walkie talkie going "if that's not you in your tower... then who is??" and then the trailer ends. It certainly gives this mystery thriller vibe to the game. Doesn't hint at a conspiracy I guess, but the actual end result being nothing more than Old Man Jenkins & The Lake Teens was super disappointing after that trailer. In the end they didn't really advertise the game to be anything, they barely advertised it at all. Everyone is gonna take away a different hope for the game

Oh man, the original trailer is really going to piss you off..

I'm actually kinda interested in what happened between this trailer and the final game. I'm pretty sure none of that dialogue is in the final game and it gives a complete different vibe to the game and Delilah than we got. Were there major rewrites?

• Locked thread