Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zachack posted:

It contains bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Did Sandman: Overture end on a high note? It seemed that people just stopped talking about it after the first or second issue (which is uh, where I stopped because I got tired of waiting so long). I'm sure I'll pick up the hardcover one day no matter what, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I need to reread it in one sitting, but, yes, it's a worthy addition to The Sandman. It adds to the story while still somehow feeling integral to it. Plus, JH Williams III.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Looking for something to read. Love transmet, the boys, preacher, last days of American crime, two step, east of west, American vampire, phonogram, morning glories, and wicked + divine. Any recommendations?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ennis's Punisher
Gillen's Young Avengers

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

numerrik posted:

Looking for something to read. Love transmet, the boys, preacher, last days of American crime, two step, east of west, American vampire, phonogram, morning glories, and wicked + divine. Any recommendations?

Low from the Last Days team, Manhattan Projects from EoW's Jonathan Hickman, Injection and Moon Knight from Warren Ellis (same artist Declan Shelvey, if you like one of 'em) Wytches and Batman: The Black Mirror from American Vampire's Scott Snyder (artist Jock on both.)
I haven't read it yet, but That Damned Band is another Kieron Gillen music comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 1, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

numerrik posted:

Gillen's Journey into Mystery, which should definitely be read before his Young Avengers. His Young Avengers is also great but has massive loving spoilers for JiM.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I am not into supes, so while I will check out Ennis' punisher, I probably won't read much of the other supes, also, was Gillen the big deal in phonogram? I like McKelvie.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
If I wasn't blown away by Vol 1 of Suicide Squad (1987), should I not bother getting Vol 2, or is it one of those slow burns that builds and gets better as it goes? I can recognize some glimmers of interesting threads, but overall it still had that "old-style" comic book writing that I can't really get into.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

If I wasn't blown away by Vol 1 of Suicide Squad (1987), should I not bother getting Vol 2, or is it one of those slow burns that builds and gets better as it goes? I can recognize some glimmers of interesting threads, but overall it still had that "old-style" comic book writing that I can't really get into.
I think if you're just not enjoying spending time with those characters, volume 2 isn't going to blow you out of the water or anything. I think the Nightshade arc was one of my least favorite, but v2 also has the Batman/JLI stuff which is really good. I do think it's a series that does get better the more you stick with it, since Ostrander writes the characters so well (esp. Waller). But don't force yourself if you're just not digging it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

numerrik posted:

I am not into supes, so while I will check out Ennis' punisher, I probably won't read much of the other supes, also, was Gillen the big deal in phonogram? I like McKelvie.

Gillen's writing was a huge part of Phonogram or at the very least it's pretty obvious his cape books are written by the same person. If you dig Ennis in general I highly recommend his Hellblazer.

JiM isn't really a superhero book. It's mostly about mythology and stories and fate.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I'm not sure if I'm violating the spirit of the thread with this request, but here goes:

I'm not much of a comics-reader, just a few trade paperbacks here and there over the years. Always a big Spider-Man fan, but I think that's the only superhero I ever got into very much.

Lately, I've been interested in exploring a few titles. I don't really want to collect comics, so I figured I'd use a digital service.

I'm interested in Spider-Man, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, and maybe seeing if the Star Wars stuff is any good. Seems like Marvel Unlimited might be the way to go? I'm interested in reading current stuff, but the 6-month delay doesn't bug me too much.

I guess what I'm unsure about is Cap and Spidey not being the same characters that kind of drove my interest in the first place. How is the new Cap? Are we expecting Steve back? What about non-Parker Spideys (I guess there are more than one?). Finally, if anyone wants to throw out a thought on Ms. Marvel or the Star Wars stuff, that'd be helpful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I'm not sure if I'm violating the spirit of the thread with this request, but here goes:

I'm not much of a comics-reader, just a few trade paperbacks here and there over the years. Always a big Spider-Man fan, but I think that's the only superhero I ever got into very much.

Lately, I've been interested in exploring a few titles. I don't really want to collect comics, so I figured I'd use a digital service.

I'm interested in Spider-Man, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, and maybe seeing if the Star Wars stuff is any good. Seems like Marvel Unlimited might be the way to go? I'm interested in reading current stuff, but the 6-month delay doesn't bug me too much.

I guess what I'm unsure about is Cap and Spidey not being the same characters that kind of drove my interest in the first place. How is the new Cap? Are we expecting Steve back? What about non-Parker Spideys (I guess there are more than one?). Finally, if anyone wants to throw out a thought on Ms. Marvel or the Star Wars stuff, that'd be helpful.

New Cap is good. But Steve is back soon and we'll have both at the same time. As for the Spideys, Miles is a great character. You should catch up on him on MU. He's now in the Marvel Universe proper instead of the Ultimate Universe, but all of his history is unchanged and is still part of his story (the creator has confirmed this). As for Spider spinoffs, I'd start with the Silk solo books. They are really good books. Spider-Gwen started out ok, but I feel the writer is focusing too much on creating an alternate Marvel Universe at the expense of the story that I wanted out of it. Spider-Man 2099 is a good read too, it's Peter David and he's at his best with his pet characters like Miguel O'Hara or any of the X-Factor folks. I'd also recommend checking out the recently wrapped long running Nova series with Sam Alexander as the lead. He, Miles (the new Spider-Man), and Kamala (Ms. Marvel) are the foundation of the new Avengers title by Mark Waid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Seems like Marvel Unlimited might be the way to go? I'm interested in reading current stuff, but the 6-month delay doesn't bug me too much.

The apps aren't very good, but they work and the price is hard to beat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Honestly I wouldn't even worry about the newer stuff right now. Get MU, check out the stuff you're interested in and maybe a couple things people suggest and see how you feel about it. MU is a fantastic deal and is probably one of the best things to happen to comics in the last few years. Even if the apps are less than optimal.

Also go back and read stuff like the Bendis original Ultimate Spider-Man with Ultimate Peter Parker, which I consider to be one of the greatest comics ever made. And if you're into Captain America you absolutely must read Ed Brubaker's run with Winter Soldier. It was character (re)defining stuff.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 4, 2016

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you get Marvel Unlimited, you should be able to read the majority of the original Ms. Marvel run that ended last year during Secret Wars. You can also read the first arc of both Star Wars and Darth Vader, which are the two main Star Wars books. That plus the stuff everyone else mentioned will give you a great idea of what you want to read more of. Plus you have, you know, decades and decades of older stuff to check out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is Remender's Deadly Class and Tokyo Ghost?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is Remender's Deadly Class and Tokyo Ghost?

It took me a bit to get into Deadly Class, but I got fully on board after the second or third arc when they fought a gang in Día de Muertos outfits. It's basically a book about high school, but with, well, deadly stakes, so expect a lot of over the top social drama.

I only read the first two issues of Tokyo Ghost. The first comes out of the gate swinging and I thought it was the perfect introduction to the world. The second is a little slower as it's setting up the story as a whole. Expect lots of excessive violence and ridiculous dialog. It's like a violent anime in tone. Kind of ridiculous, but I like it.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 5, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sold on both.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

I really like Alex Ross's style and I am interested in more things featuring his art. I was already interested in Marvels and Kingdom Come anyway - are they good? Are they Very Good or just decent, or okay? I really like the angle of Kingdom Come being about old timey superheroes going against 90s xtreme vigilantes, but does the writing of the actual book itself match up?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kingdom Come is fantastic and you should read it immediately.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I HATE Alex Ross' artwork in comic books and think Kingdom Come is amazing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They're both amazing. Marvels in particular is one of my favorites

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

They're both great and have held up for me on multiple reads. Dig in and report back!
Also, "Justice" and "World's Greatest Superheroes" are among my favorite DC things ever, check those out too.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

What's some top-tier stuff with Big Barda and Mister Miracle? Please don't suggest that one John Byrne story; I have beaten you to the joke already. Note: I haven't really read anything with either character but they sound fun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What's some top-tier stuff with Big Barda and Mister Miracle? Please don't suggest that one John Byrne story; I have beaten you to the joke already. Note: I haven't really read anything with either character but they sound fun.

Mister Miracle by Jack Kirby and JLI

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 10, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The original Fourth World stuff, obviously.
80's Justice League International.
The current Justice League: Darkseid War event is actually pretty good.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

A Tin Of Beans posted:

JLI Annual 2--Scott and Barda throw a cook-out, Joker crashes, Batman has none of it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm compiling a list of fantasy comics for a friend, and it's quite possible I overlooked something good. Throw me all your suggestions.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Demon Knights!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm compiling a list of fantasy comics for a friend, and it's quite possible I overlooked something good. Throw me all your suggestions.

Rat Queens? The Spire? Joe the Barbarian? The Unwritten? These are all good comics.

(Also, thank you to the folks who answered my question!)

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Conan, duh.
Dungeons and Dragons
Red Sonja
Order of the Stick? (webcomic, but it made $1.25 million on its last Kickstarter)
Evan Dahm's comics (Rice Boy, Order of Tales, Vattu) (also webcomics, but excellent)

Weirdworld! :D

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

From Under the Mountains, Autumnlands and Muirwood would probably qualify. Birthright might too, depending on your definition of fantasy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

Amethyst

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

How narrow is your scope for fantasy? Is Star Wars out because it's got some sci fi in it? Do you count sword and sorcery separately from high fantasy? Does something that leans more towards strange fairy tale adaptations like Hellboy count, or are you focusing more on tolkien style fantasy?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

From Under the Mountains, Autumnlands and Muirwood would probably qualify. Birthright might too, depending on your definition of fantasy.

Birthright is a fantastic book. And I don't even like Fantasy. The personal connections and the lost kid's affect on the family angle is what really sells the book for me. That first issue is probably one of the better first issues I've read in years. I was instantly hooked because of the family stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Amulet

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Bone is on there, of course.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Prophet (it's scifi but so removed from reality it's basically space fantasy)
Warlord (old DC comic)
Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose (this may be closer to horror, witches/ghosts/vampires)
Elfquest (I assume)
Manifest Destiny (Lewis & Clark meet horror)
Sixth Gun (western/fantasy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

How narrow is your scope for fantasy? Is Star Wars out because it's got some sci fi in it? Do you count sword and sorcery separately from high fantasy? Does something that leans more towards strange fairy tale adaptations like Hellboy count, or are you focusing more on tolkien style fantasy?

Basically this guy is getting into comics and likes Rat Queens a lot so he wants to know more about what other elf and magic comics are on tap. It's basically my favorite genre of comics so I have a lot of what's been suggested already on the list but like I said I just want to see if someone has something I've overlooked.

Aside from that I have put comics that stretch the definition or are more associated with another genre into a sublist just so he doesn't see Dr. Strange and go "Superheroes!?" Science fantasy like Star Wars goes here, etc