Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Ironic Twist posted:

I'm sure Leben vs. Manhoef will be a real pleasant and uplifting fight to watch

Leben vs the return of Karo, this one's for all the marbles*

* - they call a loose collection of pills "marbles" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

at some point in 2016/17 bellator is going to unironically put on a catchweight TUF rivals fight between Leben and Koscheck and bill it as THE GRUDGE MATCH A DECADE IN THE MAKING and it will do better ratings than any of their title fights for the year

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

at some point in 2016/17 bellator is going to unironically put on a catchweight TUF rivals fight between Leben and Koscheck and bill it as THE GRUDGE MATCH A DECADE IN THE MAKING and it will do better ratings than any of their title fights for the year

it's weird but i bitch so hard about gracie / shamrock in 2016 and the inevitable return of chris leben and *sigh* sakuraba but i will watch the gently caress out of it because at heart i just really like freakshow fights no matter how loving sad they are. and i am really, really not alone in this to the tune of millions of dollars in revenue going to people that will exploit drug addicts and extremely old, mentally deficient men

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

it's weird but i bitch so hard about gracie / shamrock in 2016 and the inevitable return of chris leben and *sigh* sakuraba but i will watch the gently caress out of it because at heart i just really like freakshow fights no matter how loving sad they are. and i am really, really not alone in this to the tune of millions of dollars in revenue going to people that will exploit drug addicts and extremely old, mentally deficient men

think of it this way: what you're seeing is just the cycle by which MMA feeds itself

the serious competitors in pre-MMA days were the 51 year-old karate masters and aging kickboxers who were there to get murdered by Royce Gracie, then Royce became the freakshow being beaten by Sakuraba and humiliated by Matt Hughes, then Hughes and Sakuraba were the past-their-prime old men who kept losing body parts and getting killed by BJ Penn waving at them nonchalantly, and now we're all holding our heads in our hands in disbelief that BJ Penn is eventually going to get eaten alive by Nik Lentz or Darren Elkins

MMA has and will always define its eras on the broken-down corpses of legends turned freakshows and 15 years from now we'll be begging Conor McGregor to stop as he eats his third consecutive TKO to an unknown 20 year-old Brazilian prospect whose nickname translates to Cocaine Dog

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 6, 2016

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I love Leben but he is going to die in the cage.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Also, I named my dog after Leben. He died in a fight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
oh god loving drat it

quote:

Hide yo legs, hide yo ankles...

No, seriously, hide them, because notorious leg collector Rousimar Palhares will be trying to rip one off come April 2 in the United Kingdom.

It's not mixed martial arts (MMA) but "Toquino" has been invited to take on Garry "The Lion Killer" Tonon in Polaris Professional Jiu Jitsu Invitational 3.

FD, any info on Tonon?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

oh god loving drat it

FD, any info on Tonon?

i've got some info, 50/50 into someone losing the ability to walk. don't know who.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's a lie. tonon wouldn't cripple someone intentionally.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

that's a lie. tonon wouldn't cripple someone intentionally.

It'd be great if Tonon did rip up dude's ligaments so then Palhares would be like "oh poo poo. that's what i've been doing to people? fuuuuuck"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lid posted:

oh god loving drat it

FD, any info on Tonon?

I've already discussed this in here a bunch, I think! Garry is terrific at leglocks because he's been training with Eddie Cummings and John Danaher for the last several years; aside from that, he's a terrific scrambler, goes back and forth between the ground and standing very fluidly, and is in impeccable shape. He just heelhooked Imanari at the last Polaris.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Paul Harris is gonna cripple Tonon :ohdear:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Did anybody read Leben's autobiography? I'm guessing it's pretty dark - i read the excerpts not too long ago.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

RE: Freak show fights

The people at the bar I was at that night (which is a place that does pretty good business, not a dive bar) were absolutely glued to the television for the Kimbo/Shamrock fight and the ratings for that ridiculous fight show how much people are captivated by these freak show fights.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Chris leben needs to fight Joey Beltran

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
http://themmareport.com/2016/02/bellator-148-salaries-patricky-pitbull-freire-tops-the-disclosed-payroll-of-206250/

Paul Daley: $25,000 (no win bonus)

Patricky Freire: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010

Grem posted:

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated, no website yet, it's still very very early stages.

Kain Royer, who fought on a couple Bellator cards, is involved because my friend trains with him.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bellator keeping it real with Amber Tackett getting a cool $1,000.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

WSOF Japan having some face-smashing

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/696230449279008768

Edit:

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/696233459006754817

Other edit:

Probably an early stoppage, but Hisae was also set to blast Lee as she was getting up

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/696248582358310912

Final edit:

More like OW!migawa

https://vine.co/v/i1M6ugHT7qx

(i am not linking gono's sadness-enducing loss)

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 7, 2016

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Gono shouldn't be fighting but he's broke, there was a video interview on Sherdog with him in Brazil asking him why the gently caress he's still fighting, and why in regional Brazilian events, and he nearly breaks down crying talking about his coach or nutritionist or something scamming him

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That WMMA stoppage wasn't particularly egregious.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That WMMA stoppage wasn't particularly egregious.

especially considering the girl is 16

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Probably an early stoppage, but Hisae was also set to blast Lee as she was getting up

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/696248582358310912

So is that technically a superwoman punch?
Cool to see her murking tiny women again.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
wantanabe owns

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8aut2lCD3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz2tMO3LIk4

Lord Waffle Beard fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 9, 2016

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
We are blessed to watch this fight on free TV in the year 2016

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I swear if Kimbo somehow loses this fight it will be the biggest work ever in combat sports

Same goes for if he wins it too, but especially if he loses it.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Nobuyuki Sakakibara posted:

"If we talk about the fight between Fedor and Wanderlei Silva, there is such a possibility. If the number of those wishing to see the fight between Fedor and Wanderlei Silva will be really great, we will make efforts to ensure that the fight takes place."

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'll watch that and won't feel bad about it.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
so begins the excuse cold war... http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/bellator-149s-emanuel-newton-stupid-pre-fight-sex-contributed-to-phil-davis-loss

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

My trainer Antonio (McKee), even the day before when we were doing the open workouts I was kicking him off his feet with spinning back kicks. The first takedown Phil got on me was when I threw a spinning back kick and he powered through it and he got that body lock

The fact that Phil Davis was able to power through my spinning back kick that was knocking Antonio McKee off his feet the day before is definitely because of pre-fight boning, and has nothing to do with the fact that Antonio McKee is 50 pounds lighter than Phil Davis

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I don't know why he banged out when all he had to do was wait a few hours for a guaranteed 15 minutes of being laid with

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

maffew buildings posted:

I don't know why he banged out when all he had to do was wait a few hours for a guaranteed 15 minutes of being laid with

:drat:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

The fact that Phil Davis was able to power through my spinning back kick that was knocking Antonio McKee off his feet the day before is definitely because of pre-fight boning, and has nothing to do with the fact that Antonio McKee is 50 pounds lighter than Phil Davis

50 pounds lighter and 50 years older

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's a real shame that Emmanuel Newton's particular brand of crazy does not get a bigger platform.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

*ignores all previously recorded newton fights*

Man it's real unfortunate I boned mere hours before my bout or you would have seen my highly touted newton aggression

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

my favorite newton memory is joey beltran beating the poo poo out of him until newton landed a freak spinning back fist. i also won't forgive him for that. imagine beltran being champion of anything. newton was on the way to making that happen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:ortiz: wants Fedor and Kimbo Slice
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/10/10963512/tito-ortiz-looks-at-fights-with-fedor-emelianenko-kimbo-slice

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

My spinning technique almost always gets me a finish, and it let me down twice that night :flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

gently caress YES! GANRYUJIMA 3 ON MARCH 25!

RETURN OF THE MOAT GOD!

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/658848707534856192

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 11, 2016