Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Speaking of fight sticks, madcatz is currently losing employees like flies because of rock band and that driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

I remember when Lab Zero announced that they had created a free driver for ps3 sticks to work on ps4 games, I just kind of assumed that all fighting games heading forward would use it.

Ignoring any possible conflicts of interest with stick manufacturers, companies are generally weird about using independent software/code.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

Ignoring any possible conflicts of interest with stick manufacturers, companies are generally weird about using independent software/code.

And Japanese companies break out in hives at the thought of unnecessary ~~change~~ anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so loving happy that we finally got to BIG HAPPY FIREWORKS

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Baal would rather watch woolie and liam replay dangan ronpa trigger than play a fighting game.

Let's not get crazy now

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm so loving happy that we finally got to BIG HAPPY FIREWORKS

It was everything I wanted and more.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mesothelioma posted:

Speaking of fight sticks, madcatz is currently losing employees like flies because of rock band and that driver.

Why are Madcatz so dumb about their model? Like why can you not make some other things while you also make guitars and stuff.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I thought racist wakka was going to run out of steam but he keeps shoveling coal

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He stops being racist at this point, but considering they still joke about Tidus being hungry 40 hours ago, the train will keep on rolling.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Silentman0 posted:

I remember when Lab Zero announced that they had created a free driver for ps3 sticks to work on ps4 games, I just kind of assumed that all fighting games heading forward would use it.

Never assume that something good and free will be used

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Silentman0 posted:

Guess it's my own fault for only kinda following fighting game news. :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae posted:

He stops being racist at this point, but considering they still joke about Tidus being hungry 40 hours ago, the train will keep on rolling.

Nah, it still takes a little while longer. This is just when he starts cooling down. It fully stops when the 3rd Maester dude tries to have them all executed and Wakka just says fuckit and gives up.

E: Which reminds me, they're about to fight that one boss that roadblocks a ton of people on the airship.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Depths posted:

I thought racist wakka was going to run out of steam but he keeps shoveling coal

Oh, he ain't doing the shoveling.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

doos posted:

Oh, he ain't doing the shoveling.

Of course not, that's Al Bhed work.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Oops, Al'dead.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Justice Sloth posted:

Oops, Al'dead.

:golfclap:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man, the deeper into Cyber Sleuth you get, the weirder the dialogue choices become.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rodyle posted:

Man, the deeper into Cyber Sleuth you get, the weirder the dialogue choices become.

Umm that's called good game design.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Cyber Slueth is SMT Soul Hackers in Persona Dungeons

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Woolie's doing a secret stream with a special guest

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Balls exposed on stream mere seconds after clicking on the link A++++.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Woolie getting real salt about this charizard

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Woolie getting real salt about this charizard

I am almost convinced he was fighting my cousins, because the names matched and they pull that scrubby poo poo all the time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
goddamnit I just realized why the protagonist of odallus is named haggis

godddamnit

Haggis is sheep intestines. Therefore, it's guts.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Depths posted:

I was all ready to post about two missed opportunities from the Al'Bhed themselves - the skinhead pilot who looks straight out of Romper Stomper and a Thousand Years/Thousand Year Reich thing they could have done but then OH MY GOD, THAT CLOSER.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The SAO video is magical, Liam bringing up Nepnep and Pat trying to sandbag him by reading dialogue but then realizing it's SAO dialogue and trailing off in despair is amazing.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

goddamnit I just realized why the protagonist of odallus is named haggis

godddamnit

Haggis is sheep intestines. Therefore, it's guts.

Beautiful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't believe how consistently good the ffx episodes are

You and Woolie are hitting it out of the park every single time matt

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Can someone explain to me the appeal of fighting games and how they aren't just advanced rock-paper-scissors simulators? The only ones I've come to like are Tekken because Hwoarang and Smash Bros because you get to kick Bowser in the face with like Diddy Kong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm really curious how you came to the conclusion that they're rock-paper-scissors-based. I mean there's characters who are stronger or weaker than others, but if that's your only criteria for that generalization, that covers a much wider swathe than just fighting games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Explain yourself, because you are making no sense

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Can someone explain to me the appeal of the original Starcraft and how it isn't just advanced rock-paper-scissors simulator?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's like rock-paper-scissors in that way where rock, paper and scissors are all different playstyle situations and read/reflex ability put against each other, like how rock v scissors is a 10/0 matchup in favor of ro- you know what it's not really much like rock-paper-scissors.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
You can distill any game down to its core elements and it sounds stupid.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Stupid is good though, if games weren't stupid I wouldn't be playing them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Fate/Extra and how it isn't just advanced rock-paper-scissors simulator?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm really curious how you came to the conclusion that they're rock-paper-scissors-based.

Maybe he's talking about Killer Instinct?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am seeing a lot of making fun of the guy's phrasing and not a lot of talk about how fighting games are appealing so I'm going to assume they're not and you're all trapped in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I haven't played that many but it just seems like attack a will cancel out/defat attack b everytime but it loses to attack c, except there are 40 different attacks so there are more options than RPS. The difference I see between fighting games and say Starcraft is that SC has strategy and long-term goals but fighting games are split-second choices which I can see appeals to some, it's just if you make the wrong choice you lose everytime. I mean they have fighting sticks with fake buttons and those weird "walls" between players at tournaments so your opponent can't predict what move you'll use based on your presses, which seems to me that they can't make a choice on what moves to make based on the information on the screen.