Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

The only thing scary about this is how many keyboards, monitors, and mice that were smashed to pieces over this. I get that the game is designed around lighting but if this was their compromise, it was a lovely frustrating fundamental design idea from the start. It's kinda like weapon degradation in System Shock 2. Yes, it makes the game's enemies hardercheaper at the expense of suspension of disbelief. No duct tape or weaponlight mounts on Mars but there are chainsaws! In SS2, a futuristic army pistol that jamsrequires specialized repair knowledge to make it through every clip.

I believe the technical term for this sort of thing is motherf&&*&ing goat*&@*@& bull(&%(!%& fucakagkhgagkahagkgh

It would have been fine if the flashlight could have been upgraded to affect enemies, like Alan Wake style slowing them down/stunning them or maybe give a brief burst of flashbang potential or something to make it more fluidly tie into combat.

Doom shouldn't really be about you being ultra super tense and fumbling for weapons, it's a franchise based upon high speed movement and lots and lots of enemies attacking you from all directions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
New NC. Labyrinth. I assume it's because of Bowie. I'm also going to assume this review will not have anyone suggestively eating a banana.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
HBomberguy is back with part 2 of Idiot Wars

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnP2boSC-FM

I dunno anything about movie bob but drat cmon the super mario brothers movie was good dammit!

Also I thought there have been a fair amount of good movies based on games by now?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I have been wondering and wondering what "little white cuck ball" could mean, and the reveal is even more delightfully delusional than I could have guessed.

E: oh yeah, that wordfilter exists...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnP2boSC-FM

I dunno anything about movie bob but drat cmon the super mario brothers movie was good dammit!

Also I thought there have been a fair amount of good movies based on games by now?

A lot of movies based on games? Yeah. A lot of good ones? Heck no.
I think the big thing is that neither Hollywood executives or really even game company executives really *get* video games. When a movie is made based on the game they tend to take all the iconography of the game, but show a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes the game itself appealing. Like the Hitman movie. That movie is just a generic action flick using Hitman branding, but if you play Blood Money it's anything but that. Hitman is about blending in, setting up traps, planning, pulling off a clean kill as if you were never there. A movie based on it would have to be more realistic suspense, not balls to the wall action, in order to capture the spirit of the game itself.
Of course, there's so much money in the business now that you'd be hard-pressed to find a game adaptation that won't just be a generic blockbuster.

From the artistic rather than business perspective, there was an interesting Brows Held High video that touched upon this subject, in case you haven't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUbRWUDe1FI

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 10, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Augus posted:

A lot of movies based on games? Yeah. A lot of good ones? Heck no.

There are plenty of good ones. The resident evil movies are supposedly campy, crazy, schlocky fun, the super mario bros movie is good, the street fighter movie is good, mortal kombat too, phoenix wright, professor layton, I've heard the animal crossing movie is adorable and well made, I think the first pokemon movie was well received maybe? Silent Hill is heavily flawed especially towards the ending parts but it had some great scenes and great design

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Silent Hill is heavily flawed especially towards the ending parts but it had some great scenes and great design

I felt like a lot of Silent Hill's flaws were the result of the director and screenwriter taking some weird liberties with the source material that made the plot fall apart. If they'd stuck with what was in the game, it would've worked much better, especially since the game plot is kind of weird to start out with, so needs things to be relatively uncomplicated.

They definitely captured the aesthetic and feel of the games, just... wow, that plot did not work.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

FirstAidKite posted:

There are plenty of good ones. The resident evil movies are supposedly campy, crazy, schlocky fun, the super mario bros movie is good, the street fighter movie is good, mortal kombat too, phoenix wright, professor layton, I've heard the animal crossing movie is adorable and well made, I think the first pokemon movie was well received maybe? Silent Hill is heavily flawed especially towards the ending parts but it had some great scenes and great design

Early video game movies fell into the same issue that comic book movies did in the 1990's, where Hollywood had no respect for the source material and put out a lot of cynical garbage they felt would be lapped up by fans. While some movies of that era can be loved as good cheesy fun, video game movies have never had that Dark Knight or Iron Man equivalent in the 2000's to elevate those types of movies to the next level. Until one of those happens, I do not think they will be mainstream blockbusters.

Is Bob wondering why they have not tried another Mario Bros movie or a Legend of Zelda movie? My gut tells me he only cares about the Nintendo franchises.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PassTheRemote posted:

Early video game movies fell into the same issue that comic book movies did in the 1990's, where Hollywood had no respect for the source material and put out a lot of cynical garbage they felt would be lapped up by fans. While some movies of that era can be loved as good cheesy fun, video game movies have never had that Dark Knight or Iron Man equivalent in the 2000's to elevate those types of movies to the next level. Until one of those happens, I do not think they will be mainstream blockbusters.

Is Bob wondering why they have not tried another Mario Bros movie or a Legend of Zelda movie? My gut tells me he only cares about the Nintendo franchises.

Nah it was just a video of extra credits saying movie bob wrote most of the episode and that there arent any good video game movies but that maybe there will be good video game movies some day

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

The Street Fighter anime movie is also pretty legit, as is the Yakuza movie.

I think the thing is that people expect the movies to just be carbon copies of video games, which... doesn't really work most of the time. A movie can be decent, shlocky fun(RE, SF) but people will berate it for not being like the video game enough.

Also with how obsessed Moviebob is about nostalgia and his insistence on having a live action Mario movie that's "true to the source material", I'm not sure I'd trust him with co-writing an episode on video game movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FirstAidKite posted:

Nah it was just a video of extra credits saying movie bob wrote most of the episode and that there arent any good video game movies but that maybe there will be good video game movies some day

Well there's your problem. Movie Bob is more often than not an idiot. Now let me show you my 60 minute long treatise on why Independence Day is the greatest action movie of all time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know anything about moviebob, I jus tknow I've seen his name mentioned in this thread sometimes lol

I think it'd have been better if they talked about what did work in film and why it worked rather than just "it hasn't worked ever, nobody has ever succeeded in any way, but maybe that'll change"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PassTheRemote posted:

Weren't there rumblings about a Zelda miniseries on Netflix a little while back?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Weren't there rumblings about a Zelda miniseries on Netflix a little while back?

Yeah, but I think nobody ever figured out where the rumor came from because it wasn't even like a "deal that fell through", it never was in stages of negotiation as far as we know. Period.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Retsupurae returns to our favorite Christmas Big Mac, BillyMC

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Is it time for the thread get into another massive circlejerk about how much we hate Moviebob? We just had one for Spoony a few days ago so I guess it's about that time.

Seriously though, that wasn't a bad video, and Moviebob mostly kept his fanboyism out of it which was good. And I agree that Clue is the only legitimately great film to be based on a game, but I don't have the film experience to really back that up much.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Though there are a few works about video games that are good even if they aren't adaptations. Scott Pilgrim and Wreck It Ralph are both good movies that are, to varying degrees, "video game movies". While they mainly use the aesthetic and some of the logic of games, they feel authentically like "good game movies" in the way that actual game adaptations don't. In fact, I'd argue that trying to adapt a video game into a movie in the style of Wreck it Ralph or Scott Pilgrim would probably be disastrous.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Archer666 posted:

Also with how obsessed Moviebob is about nostalgia and his insistence on having a live action Mario movie that's "true to the source material", I'm not sure I'd trust him with co-writing an episode on video game movies.

So what - 2 hours of a fat Italian eating mushrooms, knocking his head against brick walls, assaulting reptiles and trying to hook up with a girl way out of his league?

Cos that sounds like something that might make a good episode for either. Brows Held High or Cinema Snob.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Maybe the Warcraft movie will be goBWAHAHAHAHAHA

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jsor posted:

Though there are a few works about video games that are good even if they aren't adaptations. Scott Pilgrim and Wreck It Ralph are both good movies that are, to varying degrees, "video game movies". While they mainly use the aesthetic and some of the logic of games, they feel authentically like "good game movies" in the way that actual game adaptations don't. In fact, I'd argue that trying to adapt a video game into a movie in the style of Wreck it Ralph or Scott Pilgrim would probably be disastrous.

I think those two work because they're generally about video games and not about one specific game. They're not beholden to whatever creative decisions were made to string together a series of disparate game mechanics. Something something literary criticism.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FirstAidKite posted:

The resident evil movies are supposedly campy, crazy, schlocky fun

I wish. In reality they were just Paul W. S. Anderson furiously beating off to his wife's mary sue character. I'm not using that phrase in a lovely way here either, Alice was wholly made up for the movies, constantly and obnoxiously upstages the actual series characters, pulls magic bullshit powers out like a movie in and just throughout them feels like a bad godmodding fanfiction self-insert. Also one of them jumped on the IN THREEE DEEEE bandwagon and had a lot of blatant scenes built around that with ugly effects. It's me, I am the nerdo upset about [bad videogame movie].

The Mortal Kombat movies were however great, the first one legitimately for being a cheesy fun movie, the second for being a terrible-fun movie.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 10, 2016

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Gnome de plume posted:

So what - 2 hours of a fat Italian eating mushrooms, knocking his head against brick walls, assaulting reptiles and trying to hook up with a girl way out of his league?

Cos that sounds like something that might make a good episode for either. Brows Held High or Cinema Snob.
There's a 1986 animated film, only released in Japan in theaters and rental-only VHS, which is about as good as a 'faithful' adaptation could probably be. It is a completely straightforward adaptation, complete with sounds from the game and bizarre product placement for all these Mario food tie-ins (Mario and Luigi literally eat Mario brand curry at one point and tell you the viewer that you should buy this delicious food).

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I wish. In reality they were just Paul W. S. Anderson furiously beating off to his wife's mary sue character. I'm not using that phrase in a lovely way here either, Alice was wholly made up for the movies, constantly and obnoxiously upstages the actual series characters, pulls magic bullshit powers out like a movie in and just throughout them feels like a bad godmodding fanfiction self-insert. Also one of them jumped on the IN THREEE DEEEE bandwagon and had a lot of blatant scenes built around that with ugly effects. It's me, I am the nerdo upset about [bad videogame movie].

Which is a shame, because some of the actors did a real good job with that movie. Jill's actress in particular loved the game character and worked really hard to nail her mannerisms down.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kay Kessler posted:

Which is a shame, because some of the actors did a real good job with that movie. Jill's actress in particular loved the game character and worked really hard to nail her mannerisms down.

Mannerisms like being "the master of unlocking!"

At least that crap heap of a movie gave us this treasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yardbomb posted:

The Mortal Kombat movies were however great, the first one legitimately for being a cheesy fun movie, the second for being a terrible-fun movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98

Edit: poo poo, loving beaten.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 10, 2016

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Archer666 posted:

The Street Fighter anime movie is also pretty legit, as is the Yakuza movie.

I think the thing is that people expect the movies to just be carbon copies of video games, which... doesn't really work most of the time. A movie can be decent, shlocky fun(RE, SF) but people will berate it for not being like the video game enough.

For a Mario game, I'd say a Pixar-esque animated movie would be the best. The aesthetics of the games do not work for live action.

Alacron posted:

And I agree that Clue is the only legitimately great film to be based on a game, but I don't have the film experience to really back that up much.

Clue took the names and setting the game and crafted characters and relied on character interaction and good comedy to become a great movie. They put in good writing and made a good film.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Archer666 posted:

There is only one even remotely watchable Resident Evil film (besides the CGI ones put out by Capcom) while the rest are varying degress of poo poo. I'm amazed that the series made it to five films when the second one turned into an "Alice is the best and coolest" circlejerk and only got worse from there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the deal with Billy MC? I can't get the image out of my head of a 14-year-old somehow broadcasting live from 1992.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the deal with Billy MC? I can't get the image out of my head of a 14-year-old somehow broadcasting live from 1992.

He just seems like a happy manchild that just makes you smile when you listen to him.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Robert Denby posted:

There's a 1986 animated film, only released in Japan in theaters and rental-only VHS, which is about as good as a 'faithful' adaptation could probably be. It is a completely straightforward adaptation, complete with sounds from the game and bizarre product placement for all these Mario food tie-ins (Mario and Luigi literally eat Mario brand curry at one point and tell you the viewer that you should buy this delicious food).
Strangest thing about that 80's animated Mario for me: in that one, Mario and Luigi aren't plumbers. They run a grocery store.

Also, in an early twist on the formula, when Peach is rescued, she winds up with a prince instead of Mario.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Testekill posted:

I'm amazed that the series made it to five films when the second one turned into an "Alice is the best and coolest" circlejerk and only got worse from there.

Since this is the internet critic thread and all that, I really can't recommend Phelous's videos on them enough. They get so bad, so fast and it's just bizarre how hard they wanna be Resident Evil, using names and stuff from the games plenty, but at the same time refusing to budge even the smallest bit on pushing Alice as the greatest thing ever.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

There was a pretty OK Castlevania movie, though for some reason they decided to call it "Van Helsing."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

He just seems like a happy manchild that just makes you smile when you listen to him.

He brings me about as much joy as Rich Evans' laugh, for sure.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I heard the Phoenix Wright movie was pretty good in that it basically reveled in how absurd the whole series is.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I can't believe I was actually excited to see the Dungeons and Dragons movie back in the day. Now that is a terrible movie. Though really, and the same goes for your Mortal Kombats and whatever elses, what really could you have done with a movie where the source material basically has no structured story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jsor posted:

I heard the Phoenix Wright movie was pretty good in that it basically reveled in how absurd the whole series is.

It's well worth a watch and is an actual good film. One of my favourite little details is they populate the court stands with random people in their own eccentric outfits to slightly normalize the guys on the witness stand.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Testekill posted:

There is only one even remotely watchable Resident Evil film (besides the CGI ones put out by Capcom) while the rest are varying degress of poo poo. I'm amazed that the series made it to five films when the second one turned into an "Alice is the best and coolest" circlejerk and only got worse from there.

And the latest one seems to be killing people and crippling stunt actors. So why go on?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mr. Fowl posted:

And the latest one seems to be killing people and crippling stunt actors. So why go on?

Wait, are you serious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I will never not be annoyed by Bennett's massive blind spot in the shape of "But character's spoken language must be literally the language the actors are speaking!" I wonder if he gets pissed when he watches movies set in ancient Rome because he thinks the filmmakers didn't realize Romans spoke Latin.

• Locked thread