Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

I just hate the way a lot of games podcasts are dancing around The Witness for fear of spoiling. Either do some kind of spoilercast or mention the game in passing. I can't take another thirty minute segment that's just:

"Oh, did you do... the thing? In the jungle?"
"Heh, yeah... I did the thing. I solved the puzzle."
"Ah, I meant the other thing. The other puzzle."
"Oh yeah, where you have to... yeah... the cave... puzzle."
"That's the one. So clever."
"It reminds me of that... other puzzle... where you have to do the thing? You know."
"I know."

It's utterly maddening to listen to, whether you've played the game or not.
I feel this way about every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

FractalSandwich posted:

Yeah, I would love to have a good book club-style podcast that does what Watch Out for Fireballs does for new releases.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lone Goat posted:

If you folks can't get enough puzzles you should check out http://www.puzzledpint.com and see if it's available in your area. There's a vague podgames tie-in because I think Kevin from Video Games Hot Dog hosts the San Francisco one sometimes.

If yesterday was your first time going I want to apologize because some of this month's puzzles were really bad. Usually they are much better.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Randallteal posted:

Yeah, I would love to have a good book club-style podcast that does what Watch Out for Fireballs does for new releases.

Yes! Though it could be a bit of a problem coordinating where everyone needs to get to for the next episode if everyone including the hosts are going in blind (which is what I'd want). Though I guess they could just start each episode with a 'If you haven't reached X point disclaimer'.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

I can't stand how many video game podcasts do a "what you have been playing" segment which involves detailing the first couple hours of whatever new game, and then the game will never get talked about again until game of the year episodes. There's no substance to any of it. A game like Bloodborne gets described as "pretty cool so far I have played" and then people have nothing more to say because next week (when they have presumably played more), it just moves on to the next first three hours of whatever game.

I've almost completely stopped listening to video game podcasts that aren't retrospective focused because of this. I just want to hear actual game discussion, not super general first impressions that are less in depth than a review. Those podcasts also desperately need time stamps so you can find specific topics and almost none of them do them.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 10, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The one podcast that does it fairly well is 8-4 Play. Every other week, if people follow up, they'll say "yeah, I've sunk 40 hours into X"... And then Mark will go on a 10 minute tangent about how good Destiny is while everyone else groans.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
8-4 has really grown on me although it took about 5 episodes before I realised the "gimmick" was English speakers living in Japan.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

So It Goes posted:

I can't stand how many video game podcasts do a "what you have been playing" segment which involves detailing the first couple hours of whatever new game, and then the game will never get talked about again until game of the year episodes. There's no substance to any of it. A game like Bloodborne gets described as "pretty cool so far I have played" and then people have nothing more to say because next week (when they have presumably played more), it just moves on to the next first three hours of whatever game.

I've almost completely stopped listening to video game podcasts that aren't retrospective focused because of this. I just want to hear actual game discussion, not super general first impressions that are less in depth than a review. Those podcasts also desperately need time stamps so you can find specific topics and almost none of them do them.

The bombcast does this but I feel like if its a game everyone likes they all go into it heavily week after week unless the conversation surrounding it gets stale or something. But they're also covering most of the releases each week so its hard for them I feel.

Something like Bloodborne makes sense because not everyone on the cast is into it so I understand that sometimes they will just drop a game in the discussion or something.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

So It Goes posted:

I can barely listen to Best Friendscast or even Giant Bomb solely due to this. BFC has zero info sometimes on what it talks about beforehand in 3 goddamn hours, and with GB sometimes I just don't want to listen to a roadblock about loving amiibos again

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Crate & Crowbar does that, but they usually are still playing the same game the next week, or will talk about how they got back into an older game or are still playing Dota or whatever. They have sold me on a ton more games than any other cast has simply because they are really good at getting into why a game does or doesn't work.

But yeah, its still annoying if you have more than one game cast you listen to each week and they are afraid of spoilers on The Witness or something.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just want to say that the last three moves ahead was particularly great, especially the critique of general cyberpunk aesthetics and bias.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel what's more annoying about the "What have you been playing" segments is how most of the well known podcasts that do those are super strict about avoiding spoilers.

So you get stuff like "Oh man that thing....that thing when you use that other thing is so cool!"

It was v silly on the most recent Bombcast when they talked around literally the first two minutes of Firewatch because they didn't want to spoil those first two minutes.

That stuff is irritating for the people who know the spoiler (If they can even figure out what the hell they're talking about), and useless for those who don't.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Srice posted:

It was v silly on the most recent Bombcast when they talked around literally the first two minutes of Firewatch because they didn't want to spoil those first two minutes.

That stuff is irritating for the people who know the spoiler (If they can even figure out what the hell they're talking about), and useless for those who don't.

Which is why Giantbomb should do more of their spoilercasts and just cut that kind of conversation out of the Bombcast completely.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

Which is why Giantbomb should do more of their spoilercasts and just cut that kind of conversation out of the Bombcast completely.

Or if they just want to say something about the first few minutes of a game they're still playing they should talk openly about it and preface it by saying "We'll be talking about _______ so if you don't want to be spoiled skip ahead a few minutes" so that anyone who would be upset about hearing the first few minutes of a video game would know to panic and hit the fast forward button.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I listen to Match 3, and it's not perfect. Patrick needs control a bit less, Sam needs to pipe up more. If you hate the non-gaming stuff in your gaming podcast, this won't be the one for you. It's more a let's look at the cultural stuff around gaming rather than what is your feelings about game X. It's the slight shift in perspective that makes it interesting for me. Also Gita Jackson is cool.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Srice posted:

I feel what's more annoying about the "What have you been playing" segments is how most of the well known podcasts that do those are super strict about avoiding spoilers.

So you get stuff like "Oh man that thing....that thing when you use that other thing is so cool!"

It's not silly though, the developers intentionally wanted it to be a surprise. Same with the intro to Soma although a lot of people lead with that. It's probably far more irritating for people who already know but listening to how excited these normally crotchety old men are getting over drawing lines has made me more interested in checking out the game.

But prefacing spoilers isn't a good idea unless you edit a time post-production. Of which I can recall this happening maybe twice since listening to podcasts, one in Idle Thumbs and Indoor Kids. I don't want to skip ahead vaguely trying to find where the conversation ends. Just scrolling through my feed Game Informer* alone puts in time stamps. I think the true solution here is to give a game its 5 minutes of praise and then either save the spoilers for after the bulk of the show or edit them in post if you don't want to break the flow of conversation so that they're at the end.

*Let me sing the praises of The Game Informer Show and why it's the best (produced) video game podcast I've listened to. Each game gets its own time for discussion, usually no more than 10 minutes to keep things tight, followed by emails/rambling chat. The second half is the special feature which is entirely devoted to an interview, retrospective, spoilers, or just more casual bullshit. And they put time stamps in the description hallelujah! Tired of more Destiny nonsense? You know where to skip around it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 11, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Srice posted:

I don't find it irritating at all, I wouldn't mind some spoiler discussion as long as they marked it, but the game hadn't actually come out at the time they recorded that cast, so it's just polite to not talk about the first sequence which by the way the developers themselves made an effort to not spoil in the video they recorded a week prior. If they did talk specifics they'd probably piss off way more people than they would otherwise for no real reason. It's the nature of running the most popular gaming podcast on the 'net, they're used to talking very broadly about games and I think they do it well. If this bothers you so much well lemme tell you that it's probably never going to change.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

al-azad posted:

But prefacing spoilers isn't a good idea unless you edit a time post-production.

Agree. A couple of years ago I got spoiled on something pretty major (don't recall the game, obviously it was a life-changing moment) when a podcast did the "we're going to talk about this now, so skip ahead until we aren't anymore," method. If there isn't a specific time edited back in during post, I will usually just turn the podcast off.

The Bombcast is a poster child for this, because they will hem and haw at the beginning that they shouldn't even discuss the game this week, then somewhat get into it to the point where the hosts are invested in the conversation. At that point they'll hit the spoiler wall and Brad spends the next minute and a half saying, "gosh, I really want to talk about this game right now. Uhhh, it's so good, but we shouldn't. Ahhh, uugnnh, I don't know, we should really put this off, but some of the things that it does, just, ahh. SO GOOD." The part that makes it so bad is that Giant Bomb literally has a separate podcast feed for things like special spoiler casts.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Frank Drebin posted:

The part that makes it so bad is that Giant Bomb literally has a separate podcast feed for things like special spoiler casts.

Which they've brought out once in 6 months for the game with the most disappointing story imaginable (metal gear the phantom pain)

uugengiven
Aug 21, 2007
Shows on the bear where you touched him
I'm not really interested in a non-spoiler conversation if you can't actually talk about the game without spoilers. We do a podcast where we basically say "hey, we're spoiling this game so we can talk about it" because otherwise you end up with "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" and that's the bulk of your conversation. I don't understand who Giant Bomb thinks they are helping by doing their minutes long hemming and hawing with spoilers. What is kind of nice is that generally of the 4 normal hosts, at least one of them hasn't played whatever game we're talking about and they also don't care about having spoilers, so we generally have to explain enough that someone who hasn't played can actually understand what we're talking about.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you can't have a useful conversation about a game without spoilers, either just talk about it freely or don't talk about it at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

uugengiven posted:

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you can't have a useful conversation about a game without spoilers, either just talk about it freely or don't talk about it at all.

Yeah this is my stance in a nutshell

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Does anyone have a working feed URL for Hyperbolic Game Chamber? The one I was using stopped updating in like October.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't know if they have one anymore, unless you can make a feed from their Soundcloud/Tumblr pages (the only things that get reliably updated anymore when they have an episode). I enjoy the show but god they make it an uphill battle to find their poo poo.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't know if they have one anymore, unless you can make a feed from their Soundcloud/Tumblr pages (the only things that get reliably updated anymore when they have an episode). I enjoy the show but god they make it an uphill battle to find their poo poo.

I was afraid of that. I already tried using their Soundcloud to subscribe and that didn't work. I liked that show, but if they don't want people to actually listen, I guess I'll oblige them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If they change hosts shortly, I'll toss a link in here. It seems that's likely to come up soon due to the possible death of Soundcloud.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sooooooo I started listening to Duckfeed stuff a few years ago, which was right around the time Season 5 of The Venture Bros. was wrapping up. Now I can't decouple Gary from podcasting from Gary from an animated cartoon show now that S6 started.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Something like Bloodborne makes sense because not everyone on the cast is into it

they probably shouldn't work in video gaming media if they feel that way.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any spoilercast on Firewatch floating around? I'd love to hear indepth thoughts on that game.

edit: Apparently there is! http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/12/firewatch-secrets-spoilers-and-behind-the-scenes-with-campo-santo

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 13, 2016

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

KoldPT posted:

Is there any spoilercast on Firewatch floating around? I'd love to hear indepth thoughts on that game.

It''s not a podcast, but IGN has a 90 minute video interview available to watch. http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/12/firewatch-secrets-spoilers-and-behind-the-scenes-with-campo-santo

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
From the first couple minutes it seems like the video part is not super important. I wish it was in a podcast feed somewhere.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

From the first couple minutes it seems like the video part is not super important. I wish it was in a podcast feed somewhere.

well, you could always sign up for YouTube Red...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWP1ztUrXm8

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Bonfireside Chats episode on Shadow Tower is making me really wish someone did a decent LP of that game. No one on SA did it and I didn't see anything promising with a youtube search.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's a runthrough by Lobos Jr which is completely insufferable. He seems nice whenever he's on BFSC but his streams are just awful. The only run with no commentary ends a third of the way through, so I ended up skimming through a run by someone named wolfman11983 with the sound off.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HMS Boromir posted:

There's a runthrough by Lobos Jr which is completely insufferable. He seems nice whenever he's on BFSC but his streams are just awful. The only run with no commentary ends a third of the way through, so I ended up skimming through a run by someone named wolfman11983 with the sound off.

I miss when people made subtitle LPs

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zerot posted:

It''s not a podcast, but IGN has a 90 minute video interview available to watch. http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/12/firewatch-secrets-spoilers-and-behind-the-scenes-with-campo-santo

I've been waiting for a downloadable link or for it to pop up in an IGN podcast feed so I can load this onto my phone and listen on my commute to work. :(

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I find Crate & Crowbar to be excellent at still having meaningful talk about games they've only played for x hours or are wary of spoiling, because they'll often focus on a mechanic or a theme and really dig into it.

Just listened to the most recent Idle Weekend. I admit I was expecting the worst as soon as they introduced Tom Chick - it's a personal thing - but dear Christ it was terrible. Idle Weekend is at its best when Danielle and Rob are having a natural conversation and adding in their personal perspectives on things, and having an insufferable smuglord basically run the chat for the first half of the episode made it into the world's worst episode of Three Moves Ahead instead. Tonally it was completely different to everything we've had so far and I was grimacing listening to some of it. Oh well.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

I find Crate & Crowbar to be excellent at still having meaningful talk about games they've only played for x hours or are wary of spoiling, because they'll often focus on a mechanic or a theme and really dig into it.

Just listened to the most recent Idle Weekend. I admit I was expecting the worst as soon as they introduced Tom Chick - it's a personal thing - but dear Christ it was terrible. Idle Weekend is at its best when Danielle and Rob are having a natural conversation and adding in their personal perspectives on things, and having an insufferable smuglord basically run the chat for the first half of the episode made it into the world's worst episode of Three Moves Ahead instead. Tonally it was completely different to everything we've had so far and I was grimacing listening to some of it. Oh well.

Agreed re: C&C.

As for the second, if you like Tom Chick this episode of Idle Weekend was amazing and I heartily recommend it. It's so good to hear Tom back on his game after his ilness.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

His game being "MOBA players are just failed RTS players :smug: " and "The Witness just teaches you to complete the Witness puzzles so you can complete more Witness puzzles THEREFORE IS BAD" and "I'm bad at XCOM2 which is the game's fault"

:bravo:

(Alright, I'm done.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thirsty Dog posted:

His game being "MOBA players are just failed RTS players :smug: " and "The Witness just teaches you to complete the Witness puzzles so you can complete more Witness puzzles THEREFORE IS BAD" and "I'm bad at XCOM2 which is the game's fault"

:bravo:

(Alright, I'm done.)

MOBAs are bad, the Witness is Jon Blow blowing hard, and XCOM2 is a broken mess.

BUT HE'S A SMUGLORD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

XCOM2 is hardly broken. Buggy, yes. Different to XCOM1, yes. Difficult when you're at zero knowledge, yes. Broken, no, which is why the XCOM2 thread is full of people absolutely loving the game and completing campaigns in Ironman (while recognising the flaws)

The Witness literally being a progression of mechanics that you have to consistently learn and apply while being taught new things is not a criticism of the game, it's blowhard nonsense. In essence, it's a complaint that the computer game is a computer game. I'm no Jon Blow fan and I sure as hell have no interest in the audio tapes and all that jazz, but mechanically the game just has a learning curve like every other puzzle game worth playing.

MOBAs are some sort of holy war inspiring thing so I can understand people just plain not liking them, it was more a comment on how Idle Weekend went from chilled conversation to the sort of stupid poo poo you hear on practically every other podcast and it grated.

• Locked thread