Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

Rock climbing sequence aside, man, Jam Esallen is really struggling with anatomy in this arc.

I can see why you'd think that; your version was missing a panel:

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 04/19/15

Piranha Club

Yep, it's this week of strips again.

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Wow. That's pretty racist and xenophobic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
In which direction?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Captain Midnight (1943)

Uhhh so it turns out that he's actually American I think, he just works in Canada. Who knows. Who cares.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

LordPants posted:

Captain Midnight (1943)

At least Mary Worth doesn't devote several days to a guy setting up a bonfire.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Selachian posted:

At least Mary Worth doesn't devote several days to a guy setting up a bonfire.

Yeah, speaking of slow moving, I was thinking about posting some early Spider-Man but it just moves so slow I felt like I'd have to skip three out of four strips.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

Uhhh so it turns out that he's actually American I think, he just works in Canada. Who knows. Who cares.

That looks to be tagged copyright Chicago Sun Syndicate, so I assume he's just in Canada for whatever mission this is. He's pretty lucky to find that clearing if he really is marking a landing strip in the middle of nowhere.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

But that would result in a significantly better comic strip so why are you?

Because he traditionally always has a sightline and the hat-pop there so we always know that one character is looking at the only other thing in the panel they could be looking at, and are shocked by it.

For Gilchrist, that strip was downright subtle.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Appropos of nothing:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LordPants posted:

Captain Midnight (1943)

What makes you say American? I was thinking British, on account of the "Sir" part of his name.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Freedom is bad for people." --Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Well you could start seeing more than one patient every month or so.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

WHERE THE gently caress, IF ANYWHERE, IS THIS ARC GOING

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

If you've had 10 months to plan and now it's February and the two of you still haven't taken step one in doing anything concrete, not even "What should we do while we're in New York?" let alone, "Maybe we should buy plane tickets and book a room," then Quill can be justified in thinking this falls into the non-plan category.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Death-defying Acrobatic Feat Comix.

Pooch Café

Smoke bomb! Caltrops! Aim for the eyes!

Ballard Street

I was trying to figure out what was weird about this strip for a while before I realized she has a neck

Lost Side of Suburbia

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (February 13, 1969)

Mopey Pete's Bagged-and-Boarded Silver Age Daydream

And because it's the Funkyverse, thoughts turn to getting ripped off and almost dying in poverty.

Crankshaft's Cheat-To-Win Bowling Extravaganza hits a snag.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 28-29, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 30, 1929)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

On one hand, I like the idea of this, on the other hand, Budai isn't Gautama Buddha.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Quill, in the words of Dan Savage... it's time to DTMFA.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

On one hand, I like the idea of this, on the other hand, Budai isn't Gautama Buddha.

And Asian Jesus has Asian features, African Jesus has African features, and so on.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

And Asian Jesus has Asian features, African Jesus has African features, and so on.

And the colorist made this jesus white as gently caress while the whole joke is that he isn't, so... 8/10 for idea 2/10 for execution

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Also I don't think I've ever seen Jesus portrayed as blonde. Every depiction I've ever seen of White Jesus showed him with brown hair.

Also, ignoring the Buddha/Budai confusion, it seems weird that he picks on "skinny guy is portrayed as fat" and not "Indian guy is portrayed as Chinese."

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

WHERE THE gently caress, IF ANYWHERE, IS THIS ARC GOING

It's not an arc, is a straight line.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

karmicknight posted:

It's not an arc, is a straight line.

I think it's more of a circle.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The last time Olive had visions of the future and could read minds, so maybe it's just gearing up to go full Scanners.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Hey, so, longtime comic fan and also longtime lurker of this thread here.

I work at one of the larger syndicates in the digital color department, so I color a bunch of comics that are posted here (all the Peanuts ones, for instance). I've been browsing this thread for a while because honestly, it's therapeutic reading actual critiques of how unapologetically awful some of these are. I'm not involved with Working Daze, but I've never been more offended by a strip in all my life.

Luanne is a running joke between my coworkers and me. I get to (have to?) read Luanne a week in advance because we work ahead, so I get these juicy plot points before they're posted here, then I get really impatient waiting for someone else in the world to mock it. Nobody I'm close to has any idea what in the flying gently caress Luanne actually is (and who could care?), so I'm glad to find others who understand.

But mocking aside, I truly do love comics, and this thread has enriched my knowledge and prompted me to comb through all these delightful strips I've never read.

In short, this is a long overdue thank you to the comic strip megathread, and I hope you don't hate my coloring. But if you do, please tell me.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

painynumbs posted:

In short, this is a long overdue thank you to the comic strip megathread, and I hope you don't hate my coloring. But if you do, please tell me.

I'm assuming you work on Luann based on your comments, you poor bastard, so I feel like I should mention I like how the generic background palette shifts from green to mostly reds over the course of the strips that were just posted as the argument got more heated. I'm not sure if that was deliberate but it's a nice touch in the Evanses' otherwise poo poo product.

I'm also sorry that we probably only notice your work if and when you gently caress up. Coloring must be a rather thankless job.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yesssss the time machine!

Johnny Walker posted:

What makes you say American? I was thinking British, on account of the "Sir" part of his name.

I mean the title character, Captain Midnight. Sir Sygnet Syx is british like you say. Further update, they picked him up in the water and then bailed out in the middle of canada which is why they describe it as "queer".

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 18, 1951)

Barnaby (June 25, 1942)

Nancy (March 4, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (November 15, 1928)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set takes a placebo.

Working Daze is unlikable and insulting.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is cultural? I guess?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

painynumbs posted:

You don't have to worry about that. Pointing out colorist fuckups is something this thread excells at. :D

Honestly, though, welcome to the thread. We like when insiders drop by. Hope you stick around!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Tune in next week for another episode of "Selfish Bitch Theater".

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

SomeMathGuy posted:

I'm assuming you work on Luann based on your comments, you poor bastard, so I feel like I should mention I like how the generic background palette shifts from green to mostly reds over the course of the strips that were just posted as the argument got more heated. I'm not sure if that was deliberate but it's a nice touch in the Evanses' otherwise poo poo product.

I'm also sorry that we probably only notice your work if and when you gently caress up. Coloring must be a rather thankless job.

Thankfully, I don't have to color Luann, but I do have to proof it when it's finished. Which does mean reading every comic, sometimes twice. Gunther makes me wince. But thanks for the compliments, which I will pass along to the unfortunate lady across the way who does color it. :) I try to change colors with moods in Peanuts, but the folks at Peanuts prefer pastels, which is kind of limiting. I actually like when Snoopy goes on weird adventures because it allows for some imagination. But Classic Peanuts is still far better.

I do color Close to Home, which I can only describe as a living nightmare. I feel like I GET to color Heavenly Nostrils (we still name the files hev.whatever because it's a better title, dammit) to make up for Close to Home.

Julet Esqu posted:

You don't have to worry about that. Pointing out colorist fuckups is something this thread excells at. :D

Honestly, though, welcome to the thread. We like when insiders drop by. Hope you stick around!

I'll stick around, definitely. And point out every gently caress-up, by all means. I can fix them. I have the technology.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Everett True lives in Fresno? https://goo.gl/maps/st3hUmKF1kC2

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

painynumbs posted:

Thanks for doing right by the 60s Peanuts that we've been seeing for the past few years. They've come out very true to the Sunday strips I grew up with, which is why an angry mob isn't going to be at your workstation tomorrow morning. :patriot:

And the continuance of Peanuts: Year Four is not meant as a slight to Peanuts Begins, which is currently not weirding me out the way it was when it started. And that sounded a lot better in my head than it reads, so just forget I said that part. (April 1-3, 1954)

Skippy (December 13, 1928)

Pogo (February 13, 1958)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

painynumbs posted:

Just off the top of my head, I think the egregious colouring mistakes are generally at King Features rather than Universal UClick. I assume you guys get the full strip with dialogue and everything to base your colours on? I've often wondered whether it's something like strips being sent to the colourists without the text that results in stuff being coloured differently to how it's described.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So what's the general sentiment in the office about Nancy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Presto posted:

Tune in next week for another episode of "Selfish Bitch Theater".

It's pretty bad when even the standard commenters are starting to turn on Luann here...

• Locked thread