Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Scott808 posted:

Since the All Clad handles are pretty polarizing, before I bought any All Clad pieces, I went to a store to handle them, and to me they felt strange. I bought one anyway, and it turns out that if I'm actually cooking with it and not just standing there thinking about it while I hold it, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The D5 and Copper lines do have slightly fatter (whether they are more comfortable or not is personal preference, like anything else) handles than the standard Tri Ply line or the MC2 line.

Handles don't bother me but I'm not a flip the food with the pan master chef either. Although I do like that they're at an angle pointing up instead of sticking straight out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The issue I have with them is a weird D grip which requires you to twist the wrist to fit well.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

They weren't around when I bought my All-Clad, but if they were I certainly would have checked out Tramontina. Serious Eats did a comparison and they found them to be almost as good for a fraction of the price. I haven't ever handled one, but perhaps the handles are more comfortable for those who find the All-Clad uncomfortable.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tri-ply is sort of The Great Equalizer, because even cheap tri-ply pans perform relatively well compared to All-Clad pans

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there a good shrimp deveiner, or is it better to just do it the old fashioned way?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cooks Illustrated did a review and they highly recommend the RSVP Endurance seafood scissors (runner up: Fox Run Stainless Steel Shrimp Scissors). They seem to think deveiners suck.

There's also this thing which they said worked pretty well but thought was overpriced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AtZ2yOUIOg

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

My grandfather was a fisherman and during shrimp season we had pretty much an unlimited supply of fresh shrimp. I had to spend a lot of time as a kid cleaning shrimp and I would have killed for something like that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The shrimp butler has extremely mixed reviews on amazon, enough to make me wary.

In either this thread or the old one someone recommended a waffle iron, does anyone remember which one that was?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

The shrimp butler has extremely mixed reviews on amazon, enough to make me wary.

In either this thread or the old one someone recommended a waffle iron, does anyone remember which one that was?

This?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post454469405

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That's the one, thanks!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In Asia people don't seem to devein shrimp. They're just dumped live into boiling water, and you bite the heads off and peel them after cooking and eat the vein. Tastes fine that way to be honest.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Which is fine if you're serving Asians, but, you know... Americans (myself included)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I'm American and I don't mind it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

I'm American and I don't mind it.

You eat shrimp poo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tastes good imo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Frankly, it's the grittiness that bothers me more than any taste.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Seriously shrimp poop is just sand. Mmmm sand.

Also pancakes in a can spotted. (Upper left hand corner don't lie)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Seriously shrimp poop is just sand. Mmmm sand.

Also pancakes in a can spotted. (Upper left hand corner don't lie)

Quaker brand corn meal. You know, for corn bread waffles.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any recommendations for squeeze bottles for various viscosities (from varieties of mayo to straight up vinegar)? This is for home use, so needs to be able to be capped/sealed to keep.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I get them at Ralph's (Kroger), and they're nice because they have caps that are attached to the nozzles. Also they have very thin holes, so you can cut them to whatever width holes you want for whatever viscosity you need

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Refurbished 6-quart bowl lift KitchenAid Pro stand mixer on Woot today for $200. Pretty good deal for a bowl lift Pro model if you don't want to wait around for the unicorn $200 new sale that pops up on the internet maybe once a year.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Refurbished 6-quart bowl lift KitchenAid Pro stand mixer on Woot today for $200. Pretty good deal for a bowl lift Pro model if you don't want to wait around for the unicorn $200 new sale that pops up on the internet maybe once a year.

Thanks for throwing this up here, I just pulled the trigger. I've never had a stand mixer before, I'm really excited.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

The Midniter posted:

Just bought (as in arrived today) a red one from Amazon Warehouse. For $130. Might some left, there were a lot. Don't think mine is a refurb, it just had a slightly damaged box. Speaking of which, anyone able to recommend good Sausage making books. British for preference.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Cavenagh posted:

Just bought (as in arrived today) a red one from Amazon Warehouse. For $130. Might some left, there were a lot. Don't think mine is a refurb, it just had a slightly damaged box. Speaking of which, anyone able to recommend good Sausage making books. British for preference.

Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and some other guy whose name escapes me

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Just got one of the Kenji spergspatulas for smashburging. Will report back after smashing tomorrow night.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/equipment-the-due-buoi-wide-spatula-my-new-fa.html

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Would a food processor be the best tool for making my own salsas / bean dips / blending ingredients to help thicken soups & stuff, and if so, would this be a good one? The large one in the OP is out of my price range and the small one I think would be too small if I ever wanted to make stuff for work gatherings & such.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J8MJIQ

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Croatoan posted:

Even America's Test Kitchen uses this bad boy almost every episode. http://amzn.com/B000GWG0T2
Non-stick totally has a place in my kitchen. Some posters can be hyperbolic and say that there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to use anything other than cast iron for non-stick but they're mostly full of poo poo.

I've used this in 12" for almost 3 years and it very rapidly developed an "island" warp that has annoyed the poo poo out of me but I'm too frugal to replace a functional pan.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GobiasIndustries posted:

Would a food processor be the best tool for making my own salsas / bean dips / blending ingredients to help thicken soups & stuff, and if so, would this be a good one? The large one in the OP is out of my price range and the small one I think would be too small if I ever wanted to make stuff for work gatherings & such.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J8MJIQ

if you get creative with your pot size (and depth of liquid), a stick blender would be much cheaper and probably do everything you want it to do. bean dips might be a stretch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of Amazon's Deals of the Day is the Anova Bluetooth-enabled Precision Cooker for $139. This is a really good price for a really good piece of kit. Buy it now!!!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mindphlux posted:

if you get creative with your pot size (and depth of liquid), a stick blender would be much cheaper and probably do everything you want it to do. bean dips might be a stretch.

Right now the processor is about the same price as a good stick blender ($30), I'm just curious if there's going to be a huge difference between this one and the more expensive Cuisinart model from the OP.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think it's ok to get a cheap stick blender but I wouldn't buy a cheap food processor. If you buy the cheap one you'll eventually want a good one. At that point, you'll have spent more money and wish you just got the good one to begin with.

As for stick blenders there just isn't much to them and in my personal experience, cheap ones work fine. They're also good to have even if you have a food processor. FP's aren't really great for blending up soup due to the fact you can only fill them up so high. Also it's tricky pouring hot soup into a FP. I keep a cheap stick blender in my kitchen just for soup.

If you're on a budget, another option you may consider is a mortar and pestle. It's the food processor before there were food processors. I don't have one yet, but I've heard it's much better for salsa than the FP, Seems like it'd be nice to have around as a spice grinder as well. CI likes this one.

Other than that, a blender is another option but I think you'll run into the space problem with food processors with cost.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What's the skinny on pressure cookers? I'm somewhat surprised there isn't a thread about them.

Is it worth getting one? They seem to be somewhat versatile, anything you can do in a slow cooker or anything with a bit of liquid can be done in an hour or less.

What about electric vs stovetop? Most videos about the things on youtube are done with an electric model, but most criticisms of pressure cookers are usually about the electric models not getting up to high enough pressures. But on the flip side, the electric models are pretty much set and forget.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I ended up buying a stovetop recently, the Swiss one in the OP, after having electric for years. Stovetops can get to 15 psi (Swiss to 17.49 before the safety triggers, but marker at 15) as their higher pressure while the electrics are restricted to 12 or so. The electrics are also pretty slow to get to pressure too, about 30-40 minutes while the stovetop depends on your range. I also like the stainless for induction and not having to baby it opposed to the non stick in the electric. Conversely my coworkers swears by his electric and thinks it's the easiest and best thing. Hit a button and come back when it beeps.

Its worth having one regardless of what you pick for stocks alone imo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Horse Clocks posted:

What's the skinny on pressure cookers? I'm somewhat surprised there isn't a thread about them.

Is it worth getting one? They seem to be somewhat versatile, anything you can do in a slow cooker or anything with a bit of liquid can be done in an hour or less.

What about electric vs stovetop? Most videos about the things on youtube are done with an electric model, but most criticisms of pressure cookers are usually about the electric models not getting up to high enough pressures. But on the flip side, the electric models are pretty much set and forget.
Pressure cookers own,. buy a pressure cooker. There are the goon hivemind recommended models in the OP of this very thread. I wouldn't gently caress around with an electric pressure cooker unless I simply didn't have access to a stovetop, simply because a pressure cooker will last more or less forever and only occasionally need a gasket replaced, while an electric anything will eventually go tits up on you.

There have been a few threads, but it looks like none of them are currently still alive. There really isn't too much special about cooking in a pressure cooker except knowing general cooking times, which is pretty much one of those things where any place that talks about them---e.g. the little booklet that will come with whatever one you buy---will cover it. They're also kinda one of those everything-old-is-new-again things because of their frequent use in modernist techniques, and so are often covered in excruciating detail in contemporary references (Myhrvold, Blumenthal).

If you need recipe help or that kind of thing, you'll probably find help in the general questions thread---plenty of GWS regulars are pressure cooker evangelists. Make all the stock.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I replaced my electric pressure cooker with a stovetop model a year or two back. I like it a lot better, it's not as bulky and requires only a little more babysitting than an electric model.

My favorite thing to make in is risotto. From start to finish, you can make it in less than 30 minutes, maybe closer to 20 (only 6 of which is cooking at pressure).

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Kitchenaid 6qt Pro arrived today! Gonna have to bake something fun tomorrow with my girlfriend. Because I hate money, are any of the kitchenaid accessories worth purchasing or are they all just kind afterthoughts that don't really work well enough to justify?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Speaking of pressure cookers, the Kuhn Rikon 8qt is at a really good price today. I'm thinking about finally picking one up.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My favorite thing to make in is risotto. From start to finish, you can make it in less than 30 minutes, maybe closer to 20 (only 6 of which is cooking at pressure).

Is it really risotto though? I thought you needed to add stock bit by bit and constantly stir to work the starch out of the rice and get the creamy texture.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

TheQuietWilds posted:

Kitchenaid 6qt Pro arrived today! Gonna have to bake something fun tomorrow with my girlfriend. Because I hate money, are any of the kitchenaid accessories worth purchasing or are they all just kind afterthoughts that don't really work well enough to justify?

I like the pasta roller a lot. Supposedly the meat grinder is ok if for smaller scale batches but the sausage stuffer sucks. Lots of people like getting a beater blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thoht posted:

I like the pasta roller a lot. Supposedly the meat grinder is ok if for smaller scale batches but the sausage stuffer sucks. Lots of people like getting a beater blade.

I really want the pasta rollerattachment but gently caress paying the $150+ dollars for an attachment

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 15, 2016