Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Nutsngum posted:

Dont quite a few native americans refer to themselves as indian and not really give a poo poo?

Our university straight up has "Department of Indian Studies", when I asked, it was because they were specifically not including the Northern Inuit tribes, and so they all said "American Indian" on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aramek posted:

Our university straight up has "Department of Indian Studies", when I asked, it was because they were specifically not including the Northern Inuit tribes, and so they all said "American Indian" on everything.

Are the Northern Inuit tribes just really unpopular or something?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They are closer to the people who crossed the Berring Strait than the other Natives?

I've always seen Native American to encompass the entire continent of North America

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Geniasis posted:

Are the Northern Inuit tribes just really unpopular or something?

They're pretty far removed from what people see as "typical" native americans, as if there was some universal standard that you could apply to the different indigenous groups.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're pretty far removed from what people see as "typical" native americans, as if there was some universal standard that you could apply to the different indigenous groups.

What is an Igloo if not an Ice Tipi?

Edit: and I guess moose would be Snow Buffalo?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The correct term is bison, tyvm

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
There's communities of women on the internet that believe that certain celebrities are in fake relationships. One of the stupidest communities is the one dedicated to "outing" Benedict Cumberbatch's allegedly fake marriage to Sophie Hunter, who have a child together and have been married for a year now, I think?
I follow someone who mocks these women and some of the poo poo they spout is mindblowingly dumb. Apparently, their baby is a doll. Also they're both on hella drugs and have been paying off practically the entire planet to avoid their fake marriage being revealed.

It's the sort of thing where you want to see how deep the rabbit hole of insanity goes, but you threw a rock down there and you haven't heard it land yet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Arcsquad12 posted:

Often these distinctions are made by language families.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Roro posted:

There's communities of women on the internet that believe that certain celebrities are in fake relationships. One of the stupidest communities is the one dedicated to "outing" Benedict Cumberbatch's allegedly fake marriage to Sophie Hunter, who have a child together and have been married for a year now, I think?
I follow someone who mocks these women and some of the poo poo they spout is mindblowingly dumb. Apparently, their baby is a doll. Also they're both on hella drugs and have been paying off practically the entire planet to avoid their fake marriage being revealed.

It's the sort of thing where you want to see how deep the rabbit hole of insanity goes, but you threw a rock down there and you haven't heard it land yet.
I once stumbled across a group photo of myself and a couple of other people on a Sandy Hook Truth blog (for those not familiar, they claim that the shooting spree was staged by the government so Obama could take away their guns.) The comments included several people discussing how obviously fake the picture was, some arguing that they were actors and others saying that it was completely fake and that the people were just computer renderings. Part of me wanted to jump in and say "nice try, but I actually do exist," but some other comments on the site talking about what they'd like to do to people who perpetrated the hoax convinced me that it would be unwise.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roro posted:

You know I'll give the "false flag" conspiracies credit. At least their conspiracies are all towards some goal or end-game.

But this stuff... I can't even wrap my mind around even the most twisted logic to come up with "fake relationships". I mean what's the motivation? What possible goal is in mind with it?

and yes, I know it's "because if it weren't for the fake relationship, I'd totally have a chance with this person"

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Benedict Cumberbatch isn't even the dumbest one, not by a long shot. The two dudes from Supernatural have had absolutely batshit fans stalking them and harassing their wives/girlfriends for years, screaming at the top of their lungs that they have to be gay for each other, their marriages are a sham, etc.

Fandoms ruin everything.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

TheKennedys posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch isn't even the dumbest one, not by a long shot. The two dudes from Supernatural have had absolutely batshit fans stalking them and harassing their wives/girlfriends for years, screaming at the top of their lungs that they have to be gay for each other, their marriages are a sham, etc.

Fandoms ruin everything.

AFAIK from other threads on this they actually address how gross this would be in the show.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

You know I'll give the "false flag" conspiracies credit. At least their conspiracies are all towards some goal or end-game.

But this stuff... I can't even wrap my mind around even the most twisted logic to come up with "fake relationships". I mean what's the motivation? What possible goal is in mind with it?

and yes, I know it's "because if it weren't for the fake relationship, I'd totally have a chance with this person"

I think it's less "I'd totally have a chance with them!" and more "EVERYTHING YOU DO SHOULD BE FOR MY ENJOYMENT AND HAPPINESS"

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Nutsngum posted:

Dont quite a few native americans refer to themselves as indian and not really give a poo poo?

Yes. Last I heard, "Indian" or "American Indian" was actually the most widely preferred term among the people themselves.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's going to cause some confusion with people like Aziz Ansari

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

That's going to cause some confusion with people like Aziz Ansari

Indian American

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

flosofl posted:

From everything I've seen, the basic (giant-air-quotes) "logic" is that the "fake relationships" are arranged by media publicists to avoid the scandal/marketing problems that would come with a star being openly gay. (At best, this seems retrograde -- I know this has been a historical issue, and may still be a problem for celebrities with a certain kind of image, but wouldn't Benedict Cumberbatch being openly gay be a huge boost to his popularity among his particular fanbase?) Of course, this never stops at this vaguely reality-based thesis and inevitably goes off into crazy tangents about fake babies and/or elaborate cuckolding theories re: pregnancies, and the female halves of the "fake relationships" being evil manipulative bitches, and just general tides of THIS GUY CAN gently caress HIS COSTAR OR HE CAN gently caress ME, NO OTHER OPTIONS ARE OKAY!!

EDIT: ahahaha caught by the word filter, I'm just gonna leave it there because I can't say huge bold-faced declarations of being a moron are inappropriate for this topic

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Roro posted:

Shhh, don't piss them off: http://www.xojane.com/issues/cumberbitches-tried-to-get-me-fired

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TheKennedys posted:

Fandoms ruin everything.

Oh now there's a rabbit hole waiting to be found if you go after crazy Supernatural fans. Like there's this whole subculture of fanfiction/fandom where the guys have like dog style retractable dicks, and somehow are able to impregnate each other and it just goes farther and farther into madness and why do I know this, I don't even watch the show??

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The North Tower posted:

AFAIK from other threads on this they actually address how gross this would be in the show.

Within the show Supernatural there are a series of books called Supernatural (which were written by God) and detail the adventures of the characters, brothers Sam and Dean Winchester. Those books have a cult following and the fans are based on the real-life fans of the show. In the show, the protagonists discover the concept of "Wincest", which is what Supernatural fanfiction writers (both within and without the show) call stories where the brothers have sex with each other.

In a later episode, a monster is attacking students at an all-girls school that's putting on a musical written by one of the students and based on the Supernatural books. The brothers are played by two girls who are in a relationship with each other (in the show, not in the musical within the show).

In another episode, the brothers visit a sort of alternate reality where Supernatural is a TV show and the actors hate each other.

I don't think they've ever directly addressed the crazy fans who think the actors are involved in a secret relationship.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Yes. Last I heard, "Indian" or "American Indian" was actually the most widely preferred term among the people themselves.

My school has a fairly large Native American population. People get pissy when you refer to them as Indian, and I mean, they really should. It's retarded that we still call Native Americans 'Indians'. The fact that a genocidal explorer (ie Columbus) couldn't get over the fact that he was not in India is not a good reason to continue to refer to people who are not from India as Indian.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

A White Guy posted:

My school has a fairly large Native American population. People get pissy when you refer to them as Indian, and I mean, they really should. It's retarded that we still call Native Americans 'Indians'. The fact that a genocidal explorer (ie Columbus) couldn't get over the fact that he was not in India is not a good reason to continue to refer to people who are not from India as Indian.

:shrug: it's what I learned in my courses about anthropology of native Americans and their literature.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There was a survey in 1995 that showed that "American Indian" was slightly preferred to "Native American" as a self-identifier at that time*. There are some prominent activists (Russell Means, Cynthia Berry, and Sherman Alexie are among them) who have written and spoken about a strong preference for "American Indian".

More on this here. The general advice in journalism these days is that it's best to ask any given person what descriptors they prefer. Most people I know personally prefer to give a tribal or national affiliation, like "Joe Smith is an enrolled member of the X band of the Y tribe."

* It would be interesting to see how the results might differ if a similar survey was given today.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Within the show Supernatural there are a series of books called Supernatural (which were written by God) and detail the adventures of the characters, brothers Sam and Dean Winchester. Those books have a cult following and the fans are based on the real-life fans of the show. In the show, the protagonists discover the concept of "Wincest", which is what Supernatural fanfiction writers (both within and without the show) call stories where the brothers have sex with each other.

In a later episode, a monster is attacking students at an all-girls school that's putting on a musical written by one of the students and based on the Supernatural books. The brothers are played by two girls who are in a relationship with each other (in the show, not in the musical within the show).

In another episode, the brothers visit a sort of alternate reality where Supernatural is a TV show and the actors hate each other.

I don't think they've ever directly addressed the crazy fans who think the actors are involved in a secret relationship.

My God tiggum, you have a ridiculously nerdy knowledge of everything.
I'm almost impressed, but mostly weirded out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Roro posted:

My God tiggum, you have a ridiculously nerdy knowledge of everything.
I'm almost impressed, but mostly weirded out.

If it helps, I know nothing about anime. :shrug:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tiggum posted:

In less then two paragraphs explain why Sisko is the Prophet of an alien race's religion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

In less then two paragraphs explain why Sisko is the Prophet of an alien race's religion.

Something about aliens who live in a wormhole outside of time? I thought that while storyline was dumb.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Picnic Princess posted:

The correct term is bison, tyvm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W7c8QghPxk

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tiggum posted:

You could fix that pretty easily. Are you familiar with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Serperoth posted:

You could fix that pretty easily. Are you familiar with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

No. And I have no desire to change that.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
University of Stirling library.

Two girls arguing over the meaning of "infinite". They both have smartphones and tablets. There is a laptop, unused, between them.

They eventually decided that "infinite" means "limited" because "look...it's 'in finite', like, inside finity, isn't it?"

Oy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

University of Stirling library.

Two girls arguing over the meaning of "infinite". They both have smartphones and tablets. There is a laptop, unused, between them.

They eventually decided that "infinite" means "limited" because "look...it's 'in finite', like, inside finity, isn't it?"

Oy.
Stirling keeping its reputation intact, I see.

(yes I went to Glasgow why do you ask)

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I was just visiting home and made it almost the ENTIRE weekend without discussing politics with my mother.

On the way to the airport, I was telling her about playing Minecraft with my nieces, which led to.... (not verbatim, but a summary because it was insane) (Also, this is all in a very strong Minnesotan, almost Fargo-level accent)

"Do you think people are someday going to just want to live in a computer program like the Matrix? Because I don't think I'm really ready for that kind of future. And let me tell you something about those driverless cars, those are just bad news *I stare blankly* YES! Haven't you heard of the singularity??? People are trying to live forever so they want to join humans and robots. Because you know that soon robots will start taking over. Seriously, it's like in Japan where they have those *disgusted voice* companion robots. They don't even want to interact with people anymore! Don't look at me like that, haven't you heard of the singularity?? [insert name of author] wrote about it and it's coming up fast.

[insert and bunch of other stuff that I can't even remember because it was all so insane]

AND OBAMA IS THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER! *we arrive at the airport* Love you! Have a safe flight!"

She literally saved all her crazy for the last half an hour of my trip...and somehow managed to fit Obama rage into a rant about the singularity. I jokingly said "Thanks Obama!" at one point and she was like "YES!!!"

The End

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

"Ugh, they put petrol in this [hand sanitiser] too. Look, 'ethanol'!"

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

I don't know if I could handle a Minnesota mom asking me unprompted if I'd heard of the singularity.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why? It's no different than "Excuse Me Sir, Do You Have a Moment to Talk About Jesus?"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

Why? It's no different than "Excuse Me Sir, Do You Have a Moment to Talk About Jesus?"

I would be significantly more freaked out if a middle aged woman came door-to-door to introduce me to the singularity considering the thing you mentioned is actually something that occurs regularly

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CherryCola posted:

I was just visiting home and made it almost the ENTIRE weekend without discussing politics with my mother.

On the way to the airport, I was telling her about playing Minecraft with my nieces, which led to.... (not verbatim, but a summary because it was insane) (Also, this is all in a very strong Minnesotan, almost Fargo-level accent)

"Do you think people are someday going to just want to live in a computer program like the Matrix? Because I don't think I'm really ready for that kind of future. And let me tell you something about those driverless cars, those are just bad news *I stare blankly* YES! Haven't you heard of the singularity??? People are trying to live forever so they want to join humans and robots. Because you know that soon robots will start taking over. Seriously, it's like in Japan where they have those *disgusted voice* companion robots. They don't even want to interact with people anymore! Don't look at me like that, haven't you heard of the singularity?? [insert name of author] wrote about it and it's coming up fast.

[insert and bunch of other stuff that I can't even remember because it was all so insane]

AND OBAMA IS THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER! *we arrive at the airport* Love you! Have a safe flight!"

She literally saved all her crazy for the last half an hour of my trip...and somehow managed to fit Obama rage into a rant about the singularity. I jokingly said "Thanks Obama!" at one point and she was like "YES!!!"

The End

I presume she read like, Kurzweil? How do you read all about the singularity from a proponent like that and come away thinking "well that sounds real lovely"? Not that it might be bullpoo poo, if you don't find it convincing that's another matter, but I'm not aware of anyone who writes about it being both at hand and a terrible thing that will destroy us.

I do love weaving Obama in there, I don't know how he could factor in to a potential tech singularity :allears:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Sentient Data posted:

I'm used to the only people giving a poo poo about the singularity being very stereotypical white guy shut ins who never get off their computer and are convinced the day will come when technology will make them superstuds with prehensile genitals.

EDIT: Though to be fair, that is a scenario that mom should be rightfully afraid of.

Poor Miserable Gurgi has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Practical Demon posted:

I'm used to the only people giving a poo poo about the singularity being very stereotypical white guy shut ins who never get off their computer and are convinced the day will come when technology will make them superstuds with prehensile genitals.

EDIT: Though to be fair, that is a scenario that mom should be rightfully afraid of.

It's heaven for nerds.

• Locked thread