Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Are people who criticize common core math just stupid? It's coming up on my feed a lot and I don't understand why breaking down numbers in a new way makes parents angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Elderbean posted:

Are people who criticize common core math just stupid? It's coming up on my feed a lot and I don't understand why breaking down numbers in a new way makes parents angry.

Basically because it's easier and more intuitive to do it the old way. There's no reason to make simple stuff complicated.

E: or at least that's the arguement I've heard. I don't have whippersnappers.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Feb 11, 2016

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Elderbean posted:

Because Obama.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Elderbean posted:

People are scared of things they don't understand. Especially when it involves their kid.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Scathach posted:

Basically because it's easier and more intuitive to do it the old way. There's no reason to make simple stuff complicated.

Actually learning things multiple ways helps children understand the underlying principles of what they're being taught instead of rotely memorizing factoids for tests and then forgetting it all the next year. What's intuitive to you might not be to otherrrrrssss~

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

Corinthians 10:5-6

English Standard Version : "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete."

King James Version: "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ"

Think differently! Not, you know, fluidly.. just differently!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I figured parents were frustrated because it meant their kids are coming home with homework the parents don't know how to help them with. I can understand being less than enthusiastic about that, but to be honest I have no idea how difficult/simple it is to just learn so you can assist you kids.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Huntersoninski posted:

I figured parents were frustrated because it meant their kids are coming home with homework the parents don't know how to help them with. I can understand being less than enthusiastic about that, but to be honest I have no idea how difficult/simple it is to just learn so you can assist you kids.

It's basically this. If you already can do math a lot of the new stuff seems bizarre, or excessively complicated.

For example - the Make 10 method is something most of us just kind of pick up and start doing automatically when we add numbers in our heads. By teaching it to students and showing them WHY it works, they'll be much more prepared in a few years when math gets a lot more complicated. But parents see these crazy looking equations and ask why we don't just teach the normal math.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The other thing of course is that whenever an argument about Common Core pops up its pretty much always about the math section (on here especially) and people seem to miss that it's a curriculum for every subject.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Also common core isn't even the new math stuff people bitch about. It's curriculum not standards.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Huntersoninski posted:

My daughter started bringing home common core math last year and at first I was very confused. Instead of complaining about it on the internet I did a bunch of the assignments with her and now I understand it. It's really not that complicated, it's just different, so of course people hate it. I don't know if it's better or worse than the way we were taught because I'm not a teacher. But I do think it's cool that they are giving the kids multiple ways of looking at how numbers work, instead of just saying "Memorize this because I said so".

My mom has been all over this though. In the last three weeks she's sent me maybe a dozen articles about "Our children being ruined and made into corporate slaves and Obama designed common core to ruin America!!" She's an idiot, but doesn't use social media (un)fortunately. That's my common core anecdote.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

What is a Deildoc?

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I am the idiot on social media,

A former coworker shared that sheriff's black panthers comment, and I tried to educate her on COINTELPRO.

I really don't know why I bothered, or why I got mad at it, I usually ignore facebook.

No pictures, because it was just ignorantasswhitepeople.jpg

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr_Amazing posted:

For example - the Make 10 method is something most of us just kind of pick up and start doing automatically when we add numbers in our heads.
It really isn't though. This seems to be one of the big gaps in understanding between the two sides, where the side who like this method go "This is just how you'd do it in your head anyway, written out." and the side who don't go "No it isn't, what the gently caress are you talking about?"

That method turns "8+7=15" into "10-8=2, 7-2=5, 10+5=15". Maybe that is how you learned to do maths, but I just learned that 7+8=15. I don't have to think about it or do any working out, it's just a fact I know. So you can see how the new method seems unnecessarily complicated.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tiggum posted:

It really isn't though. This seems to be one of the big gaps in understanding between the two sides, where the side who like this method go "This is just how you'd do it in your head anyway, written out." and the side who don't go "No it isn't, what the gently caress are you talking about?"

That method turns "8+7=15" into "10-8=2, 7-2=5, 10+5=15". Maybe that is how you learned to do maths, but I just learned that 7+8=15. I don't have to think about it or do any working out, it's just a fact I know. So you can see how the new method seems unnecessarily complicated.
Is 348 + 1557 something you just know too? Not trying to be snide, I'm legitimately wondering how you do mental math with numbers above what you would have memorized in school. For me, it's either adding single digits or making tens, so it would be 300 + 500 = 800, 40 + 50 = 90, 8 + 2 = 10 and 7 - 2 = 5 so 15, therefore 1000 + 800 + 90 + 15 = 1905. So the common core method is what I do in my head and certainly not the way I was taught to do it in school with the carry the one etc, which would make me track down a piece of paper. The idea is that it teaches kids to do the small numbers that way first so that they have the building blocks to work with when they move on to the larger ones that you can't just memorize.

e: My example is bad since the only instance of making tens is in the single digits that you would have memorized anyway and I'm a dumb. But you know what I mean, hopefully.

Panic! at Nabisco has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Feb 11, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is 348 + 1557 something you just know too? Not trying to be snide, I'm legitimately wondering how you do mental math with numbers above what you would have memorized in school. For me, it's either adding single digits or making tens, so it would be 300 + 500 = 800, 40 + 50 = 90, 8 + 2 = 10 and 7 - 2 = 5 so 15, therefore 1000 + 800 + 90 + 15 = 1905.

e: My example is bad since the only instance of making tens is in the single digits that you would have memorized anyway and I'm a dumb. But you know what I mean, hopefully.

Not really. What example is there that doesn't work by just adding single digits? To be clear, my method is to go 7 and 8 is 5 and carry the 1, 5 and 4 is 9 and 1 is 0 carry the 1, 3 and 5 is 8 and 1 is 9, 1905. I can do that in my head very quickly and easily. If the numbers get much bigger then I'd need to write the answer down as I go rather than remembering all the digits. But your way doesn't make sense to me. You start from the left instead of the right and then backtrack whenever you need to carry? Is that how you're doing it?

The way I do it, you can write it out like this:

_348+
====

And then just write the answer down from right to left as you get each digit, so it all ends up very neat on the page, and works for numbers of any size. Plus you can add more numbers together at once by just carrying larger numbers than 1 (eg. 38+47+95+80 you go 8 and 7 is 15 and 5 is 20, so 0 carry 2, 2 and 3 is 5 and 4 is 9 and 9 is 18 and 8 is 26 so 6 and carry 2 means the answer's 260).

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Oh my god, you guys. It's almost as if.... our brains.... don't all work exactly the same! Holy poo poo! Who do we call with this breakthrough?? The SA Forums have done it again!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Tiggum, I get what you're saying, but did someone specifically teach you to do it that way, or is that how you figured it out on your own? Is that how numbers made sense to you after memorizing that 8+7=15 and so on? Or did someone actually sit you down and teach you to look at numbers that way? When I add larger numbers in my head I basically do it the same way that you do, but no one ever taught me that. I ended up seeing how numbers work together on my own, after years of memorization in grade school.

For example, it's very easy to add 9 to another number. It's always one less plus ten. 8+9=17, one less than 8 is 7 and 7 +10 = 17. But I honestly never had anyone tell me that "trick", I just realized that after memorizing addition, subtraction and multiplication tables. Maybe I'm the idiot, because I've only seen this common core stuff up to 2nd grade level math, but so far it seems like this is what is actually being taught. To look at numbers and their relationship with each other, beyond just memorization. Who knows, maybe the whole thing falls apart when we start getting into more advanced math, but so far what I have seen seems like a good way to teach children to look at numbers and how they interact with each other.

Also, this is a really stupid derail.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It happens literally any time someone mentions common core, people are really loving weird and defensive about the ways they learned math as a kid. It's even loving weirder for someone like Tiggum who doesn't even live in the US and doesn't have to deal with the whole "oh god what if my kid learns the wrong way to do math??? they'll grow up stupid!!!!" thing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Not really. What example is there that doesn't work by just adding single digits? To be clear, my method is to go 7 and 8 is 5 and carry the 1, 5 and 4 is 9 and 1 is 0 carry the 1, 3 and 5 is 8 and 1 is 9, 1905. I can do that in my head very quickly and easily. If the numbers get much bigger then I'd need to write the answer down as I go rather than remembering all the digits. But your way doesn't make sense to me. You start from the left instead of the right and then backtrack whenever you need to carry? Is that how you're doing it?

The way I do it, you can write it out like this:

_348+
====

And then just write the answer down from right to left as you get each digit, so it all ends up very neat on the page, and works for numbers of any size. Plus you can add more numbers together at once by just carrying larger numbers than 1 (eg. 38+47+95+80 you go 8 and 7 is 15 and 5 is 20, so 0 carry 2, 2 and 3 is 5 and 4 is 9 and 9 is 18 and 8 is 26 so 6 and carry 2 means the answer's 260).

It's just a method of breaking down the problem into more manageable chunks. 8+7 is the same as 8+2+5, because 8+2 is nice and easy and then adding the 5 is a piece of piss. It's also basically what I do in my head all the time when adding numbers anyway, and I was never specifically taught that way from what I remember. I imagine this kind of thing would leave kids more prepared for algebra later on, since it teaches the principles of two different looking things actually having the same value.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Well that's interesting at least, I've always done the 'make 10' in my head when adding stuff. Written down it looks overwhelming, but it makes more sense in my head. I was of course taught the usual 'carry the 1' etc., but I always loving hated it, and it didn't make intuitive sense. I'd have to learn how to do it now again, and a piece of paper.

Then we were also taught adding numbers and guesstimating how close to the real number you could get. There was not a correct answer, and it didn't make much sense to me back then, but it does now. It challenges your brain in a different way, I guess.

That's My Math Story.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
As long as the numbers at the end of the problem are right who cares

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Skaw posted:

As long as the numbers at the end of the problem are right who cares

Until you get to algebra where numbers no longer matter but number sense is everything.

It's seeing how numbers relate to each other through multiplication and addition. That's the goal. That's the key to succeeding beyond grade school.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Shut up about math you loving nerds

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think Common Core is just another extension of the differentiation process that they've pushed teachers to adopt. Most students do fine with the old way, but not all of them so they're introducing math concepts with stuff like friendly numbers and mental tricks that resonate when more kids' brains. This seem awkward and foreign to adults.

I have a teaching cert, but haven't been in a classroom since Common Core got instituted so I'm not familiar with it. From what I've heard math instruction reverts back to what we're used to after this initial weird period. They'll still teach math in the traditional way, but they're trying to introduce the concepts differently. But if you are a parent and your 2nd grader brings home this new math poo poo, you freak because you've never seen it before and the old way seems so much easier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HairyManling posted:

Tiggum, I get what you're saying, but did someone specifically teach you to do it that way, or is that how you figured it out on your own?
That's how I was taught to do it in primary school.

Lady Naga posted:

It happens literally any time someone mentions common core, people are really loving weird and defensive about the ways they learned math as a kid. It's even loving weirder for someone like Tiggum who doesn't even live in the US and doesn't have to deal with the whole "oh god what if my kid learns the wrong way to do math??? they'll grow up stupid!!!!" thing.
I just think it's interesting. :shrug:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
My boyfriend's mum shared this.

Does that mean wearing branded T-shirts and shoes is against the law.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't know why the 5p carrier bag thing became such a big deal in England*

We've had it in Wales for years, and I think the Scots have had it too. Nobody ever started looking for loopholes to try and get them for free, or raging at the sky Gods for allowing this to happen, we just said "OK makes sense" and got on with our lives. I think the worst it gets is when you're caught out needing to buy something without bringing a bag with you, and you feel like you're being wasteful by having to purchase one. But the 5p cost should nullify that anyway, so again... we just get on with it.

* actually I do. The Daily Mail.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is pretty much the reason why it's such a BIG DEAL, meanwhile I just shrugged and continued to use my backpack for shopping.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Oh gently caress we're on common core again. Have this you loving weirdos. Literally right next to each other on a conservative Australian page:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I've noticed a trend on extreme conservative articles and images where there'll have a call-to-action like "What did you think of the half-time show?" or "Share if you agree!". These people sure like sharing their impotent rage with others.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This entire thread is about impotent rage, lets not go pretending it's specific to other websites now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Boy, people are still pretty steamed about that one group that was kind of militant, but didn't really do a whole lot wrong, and really only existed for about a decade.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're the Idiot. The Daily Mail supported the 5p bag tax

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lol if you think TDM don't run articles that completely contradict each other. A few days before it went in, they wrote an article that said England was going to fall apart because the situations as to when you were allowed to claim a free bag weren't clear enough for poor, stupid, citizens.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/05/plastic-bag-charge-horror-scenes-england_n_8243490.html

So, bite me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Of all the things to get angry about with the Daily Mail...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nobody is angry at the Daily Mail for it, they're an accepted part of British life.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
They're literally advertising their banish the bags campaign in that chaos looms article.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, that's what contradict means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lol if you think TDM don't run articles that completely contradict each other. A few days before it went in, they wrote an article that said England was going to fall apart because the situations as to when you were allowed to claim a free bag weren't clear enough for poor, stupid, citizens.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/05/plastic-bag-charge-horror-scenes-england_n_8243490.html

So, bite me.

Loose women Terri?