Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Spoiler for Zyuuuuuuuger 6th.

Fairly amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Being "red-centric" is only a problem when Red sucks, like Takaharu. Captain Marvelous stole every scene in Gokaiger, but he was just so much fun to watch :allears:. Also, his presence didn't undermine the other gokaigers' character growth episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SKY COQ posted:

Spoiler for Zyuuuuuuuger 6th.

Fairly amazing.

His name is ZyuOhTheWorld apparently. It's nice to see an anniversary 6th that's not (completly) Silver for a change.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That helmet design is pretty loving neat.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
A couple of years ago I started SPD, but never finished (getting to the swat part). After finding it on Netflix I finally did finish it yesterday. It was a fun season, there were a lot of characters to like. It's unfortunate that backsplosions and flailing lessened the impact of the A team vs B team match up.
Omega ranger is the worst extra ranger ever, not even an actual actor could've saved him. His "powers" fail pretty much always after introduction, he rides a unicycle and his Zord has the lamest finisher ever. :colbert:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
His role as sixth is pretty much taken over by the infinitely cooler Shadow Ranger, anyway

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's a real shame what they ended up doing with Omega Ranger in SPD. In Dekaranger, he was supposed to be something along the lines of a Space FBI Agent or Space Federal Marshall, who got sent to Earth to operate under a higher level of Authority against especially dangerous criminals. He had a whole character arc for "lightening the hell up, jeez". It was great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a real shame what they ended up doing with Omega Ranger in SPD. In Dekaranger, he was supposed to be something along the lines of a Space FBI Agent or Space Federal Marshall, who got sent to Earth to operate under a higher level of Authority against especially dangerous criminals. He had a whole character arc for "lightening the hell up, jeez". It was great.

I assume the main reason they handled Sam the way they did was that Dekaranger was still running while they were working on SPD and, thinking that DekaMaster/Shadow Ranger WAS the 6th ranger of the team, Disney didn't end up budgeting for another actor. This of course ended up biting them in the rear end later on which resulted in the ball of light idea.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

I assume the main reason they handled Sam the way they did was that Dekaranger was still running while they were working on SPD and, thinking that DekaMaster/Shadow Ranger WAS the 6th ranger of the team, Disney didn't end up budgeting for another actor. This of course ended up biting them in the rear end later on which resulted in the ball of light idea.
I wouldn't even have minded the ball of light if it actually went anywhere or if he would've been awesome morphed. But after his introduction he basically fails at everything. His powers from the future are useless.

Raserys posted:

His role as sixth is pretty much taken over by the infinitely cooler Shadow Ranger, anyway

This is true. Doggi Kruger is awesome. Possibly the best mentor.

I'm going to catch up to Kamen Rider Ghost and then I'll try RPM. I've heard good things about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm hoping Ninja Steel is good, if only because it'd establish a pattern that would mean we'd have something to look forward to on future bad Sentai seasons.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm hoping Ninja Steel is good, if only because it'd establish a pattern that would mean we'd have something to look forward to on future bad Sentai seasons.

That'd require having enough examples to make a pattern. Goseiger was adapted into Megaforce, so terrible Sentai can become terrible Rangers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think the pattern is that bad directors make bad seasons and good ones have a high chance at making good seasons. And Judd Lynn is the goodest.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So after watching the first 2 episodes of the new Dino Charge season, I have gotta say I already love Hekyl.

Snide's a generic baddy, but Hekyl is just having so much fun that he steals the show.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Andrew_1985 posted:

So after watching the first 2 episodes of the new Dino Charge season, I have gotta say I already love Hekyl.

Snide's a generic baddy, but Hekyl is just having so much fun that he steals the show.

He's pretty good proof that you can take your usual Power Rangers level of writing and sell it by just going balls out on the performance side.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also this week was basically "Does this rag smell like chloroform?" in kids' form. Kinda sadistic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Eddie Whitson posted:

Also this week was basically "Does this rag smell like chloroform?" in kids' form. Kinda sadistic.

That scene where he knocks everyone out one after the other was excellent.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jyuouger is the first Sentai since I broke up with my girlfriend of eight years, with whom I watched Super Sentai and Kamen Rider weekly for most of that time.

That opening song was surprisingly hard to sit through.

But goddamn, this show's pretty awesome so far. (Is naming your anniversary Red after the dominant ethnicity of Japan kinda on the nose a bit?)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nah. He's clearly able to use the Eagle cube because he loves America. :911:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jyuouger is the first Sentai since I broke up with my girlfriend of eight years, with whom I watched Super Sentai and Kamen Rider weekly for most of that time.

That opening song was surprisingly hard to sit through.

But goddamn, this show's pretty awesome so far. (Is naming your anniversary Red after the dominant ethnicity of Japan kinda on the nose a bit?)

Sorry to hear that dude, hope you feel better soon.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
A bit disappointed that they dropped the Heckyl secret enemy stuff so fast.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
This is what happens when you Mech is made entirely out of blocks

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mateo360 posted:

And yet the suit will probably be relatively okay if it's anything like the first one.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Saw on Twitter today that this is the 10 year anniversary of Boukenger's debut.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And the 15th anniversary of Gaoranger! And the 5th of Gokaiger! The 25th of Carranger! Holy shiiiiiit! :aaaaa:

Looking at those spreads of all the previous Reds, I'm noticing just how many bird guys there are now. Red Falcon, Red Hawk, Hurricane Red, MagiRed, Go-On Red, and now JyuouEagle. They are now their own Super Sentai.

GoseiRed can be their weird lovely sidekick everyone hates, because he's got bird wings and sucks really bad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

mateo360 posted:

That looks like a terrible toy.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

And the 15th anniversary of Gaoranger! And the 5th of Gokaiger! The 25th of Carranger! Holy shiiiiiit! :aaaaa:

Looking at those spreads of all the previous Reds, I'm noticing just how many bird guys there are now. Red Falcon, Red Hawk, Hurricane Red, MagiRed, Go-On Red, and now JyuouEagle. They are now their own Super Sentai.

GoseiRed can be their weird lovely sidekick everyone hates, because he's got bird wings and sucks really bad.

But I love Gosei Red :(

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Goseiger is alright, from what I've watched.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Man, now I really want to date a Power Ranger.

...synge's costume is torn at the crotch... you can see the suit actor's white pants when he turns big....

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mateo360 posted:

The articulation has never exactly been the draw of the mech toys anyways. I saw one reviewer describe them as like buying candroids that can happen to combine and that's pretty neat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was a pretty good episode, I liked Singe from the second he opened his mouth plus I liked that he was actually set up as an outside threat and not just another prisoner that happened to be on Sledge's ship (though something tells me that like his Sentai counterpart he's playing his own game here) and the new Super Drive mode actually looks pretty good. I still question why Kendall suddenly can't pilot her own zord even though they're shooting original cockpit footage but hopefully she'll be back in action before too long.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Sentai is always about Red. Red is the locus of destiny, always. Like, is there a Sentai where Red isn't either the leader or the guy who has enough guts/sheer stupidity to get things done?
Akira's entire stick from Toqger is that he has too much guts and sheer stupidity.

Some Numbers posted:

Intergalactic gamers. Subtle difference.
I thought they were big game hunters which ironically makes it a huge pun.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 21, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, now I really want to date a Power Ranger.

As Astronema found out, dating a Power Ranger is annoying as poo poo, since they have a habit of prioritizing monster-fighting over hooking up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Well, angel wings, seeing as how the Goseigers are angels and all.

mikeycp posted:

Goseiger is alright, from what I've watched.

Goseiger isn't really bad, it's just kind of boring up until the last villain arc when Bladerun's true identity gets revealed. The Goseigers themselves aren't particularly interesting personality-wise, hell they manage to be even more shallow than the ToQgers, with the exception of GoseiKnight who actually does have a character arc and development.

At the very least, though this shouldn't surprise anyone, Goseiger is at least far better than Ninninger was, the actors in Goseiger were all really great and there was at least one good villain which is one more than Ninninger had.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goseiger is definitely not worth a watch ever but Bladerun is amazing and definitely the best part of the show. That said it gets really hard to root for the super boring heroes with a villain as cool and resourceful as Bladerun. He isn't Enter, but then again, nobody is, and he definitely ranks high on my Sentai villain list.

GoseiKnight is super cool too, but I'd have to say Ninninger had a better Ranger cast...which it used terribly because Takaharu must be in the spotlight all the time and everyone else must live for Takaharu because Takaharu is your new lord and saviour praise Takaharu the New Last Ninja. The villains were so awful though.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Good things about Ninninger:

- Kasumi
- Italian grandpa
- Magiranger cameo outta loving nowhere
- They weren't ToQger

Only series in a while where I haven't enjoyed a single suit or mech.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SKY COQ posted:

Good things about Ninninger:

- Kasumi
- Italian grandpa
- Magiranger cameo outta loving nowhere
- They weren't ToQger

Only series in a while where I haven't enjoyed a single suit or mech.

Counter-argument:

I agree about all 4 of your bullet points, but I will not let the ranger suits or Shurikenjin go undefended :colbert:
Those Ninjer Suits were stylish as heck, and I will always be there to defend the honor of giant robots that are piloted by smaller giant robots.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Colossal robots piloted by huge robots piloted by a big robot :eng101:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
But ToQger was awesome!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
ToQ was fun, but ultimately the villains stole the show in that series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys