Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

drunk asian neighbor posted:

remember when memes were still called image macros?

Memes can spread through image macros, but memes are the message and image macros are the medium. Trust me; I'm an epimemeticist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Correct all image macros are memes but not all memes are image macros you goddamn newb

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thathonkey posted:

all image macros are memes

I just made three image macros in MS Paint and then deleted them. Were they memes?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Technically yeah

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
Who remembers the SA created BF1942 mod where you could ride rockets and segways?

Good times

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if a meme falls in the woods is it rare

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BelgianWaffle posted:

Who remembers the SA created BF1942 mod where you could ride rockets and segways?

Good times

It was a rocket jesus statue that shot lasers from his eyes. I think it was called the total retardation mod

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

the act of making and disseminating an image macro is a meme, and certain image macro templates are memes, and referring to image macros as "memes" is a meme, and every second i am alive is torment.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
And we have Dick Dorkins to thank for the word 'meme' getting traction.

So gently caress him, again.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

feedmegin posted:

I miss just the base Battlefield 1942. It had a goofy lack of seriousness the modern ones don't, and you could sail around in battleships!

Fabulousity posted:

Battlefield 1942 was magical. I'll admit that's some nostalgia speaking but the other half is the pure chaos of a server crumbling while dozens of idiots on 56k modems dangle off of it.

The vehicle system was pure arcade-y chaotic hilarity. The next Battlefield game really should revert to the simpler physics engine, or at least implement it as a server configuration option.

Exactly what makes it wonderful and the best game. the simple physics and vehicle system are a hoot. I think that is what EA intended to do with Battlefield Heroes. I was a beta tester for BF: Heroes, they took it just a little too far though and it wasn't nearly the same.

Buttcoin purse posted:

Nice! Are those like glasses you can't see through or something? I just had a :filez: PC version of this so never knew it came with so much stuff!

Surely even by 1989 you couldn't fit info on all hard drives in your pocket?

I only ever played FH single player :( I got BF1942 (from CDs, not Origin) to work on Windows 8.1 with Update though so there's hope :rimshot:

Same. Jeep races, etc.

If you don't want to install patches that aren't from EA (it's probably just a no CD crack), https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255 has instructions on how to work around the removal of securom from Windows. Basically start an Administrator Command Prompt, then:

Yes, those are the peril sensitive sunglasses. Mine are broken it seems, they are stuck in peril mode. :haw:

You'd be surprised how much info they fit in that little book its ~500 pages. I dug mine up last night, probably haven't looked in this thing for 20+ years now. It's a 3rd edition from 1993 so I either got an updated one at some point or got it later than I remember. The hard drive spec section is ~90 pages of very small print. There are some names in there that I've long since forgotten. The PC Industry Phone Book is ~150 pages, and there are allot of companies in it that are long gone now. As I was leafing through it I literally :captainpop: when I found the 3/4 page dedicated to just phone numbers at Word Perfect Corp. I even found notes I'd scrawled in it with model numbers, jumper settings, The BBS phone number for NEC and two file names that I needed to download at some point apparently.

Last night I also dug out my Battlefield 1942, Road to Rome Add On, and Secret Weapons Add On CDs and installed them. After using the patches I found here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-1942/Battlefield-1942-on-Windows-10-64-Bit-System-Won-t-launch/m-p/4708890#U4708890 Everything ran perfectly and I found that there are still ~100 servers out there.

I installed Forgotten Hope 0.7 and at first the maps wouldn't load but, I found a patch here http://megagames.com/download/309082/0 that fixed it. I just did the compatibility patch did need the wide screen fix as that seems to work fine. The FH Mod graphics still looks pretty awesome even by today's standards I must admit.

If that wasn't enough a quick Google turned up forum post some one made just yesterday that they had put up a FH server because they couldn't find one in the U.S. anymore. When I connected to it there were 6 players already on it. Played for about an hour and a half, smooth as silk.

Sitzkrieg FH .7
Server IP: 216.244.76.132
Port: 14567

I am living the dream baby!!! FU Battlefield4!! I got battleships!! :boom: seriously, if you've still got the CD's you should load it up and play.

Ziptar has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Feb 11, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mng posted:

And we have Dick Dorkins to thank for the word 'meme' getting traction.

So gently caress him, again.

Though at least he doesn't pronounce it "Me-Me".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ziptar posted:

Yes, those are the peril sensitive sunglasses. Mine are broken it seems, they are stuck in peril mode. :haw:

I got bad news for you, they're working just fine :supaburn:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
My old boss pronounced them "mims" and nobody ever corrected him. Boy was that fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

computer parts posted:

Though at least he doesn't pronounce it "Me-Me".

Uuuuuggghhhh, I know a guy who does this, and I don't understand why :negative:

EDIT: Wait, no, he actually says 'meh-meh', which I think we can all agree is worse.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
When I was but a wee child, my parents had one of the precursors to the "for dummies" book. It was something like "PC Building and Repair For Beginners".

It was about two inches thick, and the chapters went like this:

* Chapter 1: This is a computer. It draws power and can play solitare.
* Chapter 2: This is the monitor which is discrete from the actual computer. Do not call them the same or you are a dummy.
* Chapter 3: Setting hardware IRQs and the BIOS interrupt table for writing device drivers.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

insta posted:

* Chapter 2: This is the monitor which is discrete from the actual computer. Do not call them the same or you are a dummy.

More often then not, almost without exception, every single person whose computer I worked on back in the day referred to it as "My CPU" or "The CPU". For a brief period I tried to explain it to them but, it was pointless.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, yeah. I had a teacher who wouldn't let us use the classroom computers at the time because she turned on just the monitor and got the "no signal input" message (while it sat on the horizontal-form-factor Gateway PII-233 underneath it). I was heralded as a computing genius TWO WEEKS later when I finally poked the power button on the chassis when she wasn't guarding them.

My point about the book chapters was mostly that it went 1,2,10 in terms of complexity. I actually used the interrupt table in the back to write a 'mouse driver' in QBasic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know what it was about the customers at that old ISP I worked at, but without exception they were all coming from AOL, and without exception they all called it "American Online". Not America, American. Not a single one ever said it right.

It drove me bugfuck wondering where they were all getting this from, like they were all issued a book on How To Internet, 1993 Edition that they read cover to cover. I presumed there was a chapter on going into USENET groups and posting "me too".

E: One lady actually said she was on "American Airlines"; maybe that's a clue

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Ziptar posted:

More often then not, almost without exception, every single person whose computer I worked on back in the day referred to it as "My CPU" or "The CPU". For a brief period I tried to explain it to them but, it was pointless.

In the dark days of my beginnings in IT doing desktop support I had several people who would refer to their tower case (which was usually on the floor) as "the hard drive"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

My IT friend once had someone hand him a CRT monitor believing that was the "computer"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Stop it, you're giving me traumatic flashbacks to my phone support days, desperately trying to explain to the nurse that you have to hold the power button on the computer to force it to turn off after a bluescreen and they repeatedly just turn their monitor off and on because they don't know what the box under the desk is for :(

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
What do I do with this confounded foot petal? I got this question a couple of times. They were, of course, referring to the mouse.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

OOPS, wrong thread.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The first time I encountered any kind of DRM was a copy of the Settlers I borrowed from a friend. The manual had sequences of runes or symbols on each page, and every time you fired the game up it would prompt you to enter rune 2 from page 19, rune 1 from page 30, and so on until it was satisfied.

The only other one I remember was Earthbound I think, which would let you progress pretty far and then delete your save.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kecske posted:

The first time I encountered any kind of DRM was a copy of the Settlers I borrowed from a friend. The manual had sequences of runes or symbols on each page, and every time you fired the game up it would prompt you to enter rune 2 from page 19, rune 1 from page 30, and so on until it was satisfied.

The only other one I remember was Earthbound I think, which would let you progress pretty far and then delete your save.

I always liked the games that would get creative about it if you failed. Like the code wheel for good old Starflight:

If you put in the wrong code when you launch your spaceship, a little while later the Interstel Corporate Police would catch up to you. They'd give you one more chance to put in a valid code, and if you fail that they'd blow you out of the sky.

In the same kind of thing, Gold Rush! would have you look up a word in the manual, and if you got it wrong, your character got hanged for claim-jumping before the game exited back to DOS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Earthbound let you get to the last boss then it would declare you a pirate.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Turdsdown Tom posted:

for me that was

/j #jackass

i used to chat with brandon dicamillo and poo poo when i was a kid growing up thinking i was gonna fling myself into bushes for a living

those guys couldn't use an irc client

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powered Descent posted:

I always liked the games that would get creative about it if you failed. Like the code wheel for good old Starflight:

If you put in the wrong code when you launch your spaceship, a little while later the Interstel Corporate Police would catch up to you. They'd give you one more chance to put in a valid code, and if you fail that they'd blow you out of the sky.

In the same kind of thing, Gold Rush! would have you look up a word in the manual, and if you got it wrong, your character got hanged for claim-jumping before the game exited back to DOS.

The issue with that is the same issue with modern DRM - the false positives are much worse than the false negatives.

There was a shooter released around 2000 I think that would silently degrade your character so that it was impossible to win if it detected piracy. The issue was that enough people pirated it that they thought it was just a lovely game, and so the game wasn't that successful.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Alceste posted:

In the dark days of my beginnings in IT doing desktop support I had several people who would refer to their tower case (which was usually on the floor) as "the hard drive"

This is prevalent enough to be referenced during Jen's interview in the first episode of The IT Crowd.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How do I change my screen saver? You know, that picture behind all of my icons.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Cojawfee posted:

I think Earthbound let you get to the last boss then it would declare you a pirate.

Even better, it would jack up the monster spawn rate for the entire game to make it nearly unplayable, and then during a line of dialog in the final boss fight it would lock up and delete all your saves

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How do I change my screen saver? You know, that picture behind all of my icons.

Help, I think my son uploaded a virus to the modem and now none of computers at home are working!

source: my father

six years ago :cripes:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

computer parts posted:

There was a shooter released around 2000 I think that would silently degrade your character so that it was impossible to win if it detected piracy. The issue was that enough people pirated it that they thought it was just a lovely game, and so the game wasn't that successful.

Soldier of Fortune?

Good ol'TAGES. I bet it slowing down a game caused many pirates to howl how the "game ran baaad". Then rumors of poor performance spread to the mainstream gaming media and hurt overall sales for a lot of games. :(

My favorite was with the original Deus Ex. The pirated version, whether intentional or not, lacked the boat to leave the first level. You could always tell who pirated by having people asking why they couldn't get to the second level. "They said there's a boat but there's no boat!".

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

BelgianWaffle posted:

Good times

if you're interested in total nonsense deathmatch, there's a mod for HL2 that's been in development for a few years called Jaykin Bacon: Episode 3 which sounds a lot like the crazy mod you're describing. best weapon in the game: the Fart Cop, who is actually a player model and not a weapon. to kill enemies, you've got to run up to them and immediately do a 180 and point your rear end at them, then right click to release a death fart.

it is fuckin good

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My first real IT job was working for a small computer shop in '96 doing some sales and bench work. A women comes in panicked that her computer won't boot. "It says it can't find my hymen!"

Turns out HIMEM.sys wasn't loading.

3 years later I found myself working as Jr. Admin for a local, 500 user ISP. I was also the tech support guy and got a call from a guy who was having trouble loading our CD. We gave out CDs that ran a script that configured Dial up Networking and updated IE with some bookmarks and updated the homepage.

Everything I try won't get this drat CS to load. I finally have him eject it and have me read me the print on the CD in case he got the wrong one. "There's nothing on there. It's just all blue." He was looking at the business side of the CD-R we gave out.

Yes. I have actually gotten the "CD shiny side up" tech support call.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

This is a good game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I liked Raptor up to the point until Tyrian went freeware. Cygnus' next game, DemonStar is very good, tho.

Speaking of DOS vertical shooters:

https://youtu.be/bjZ_67Ttznk

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Turdsdown Tom posted:

if you're interested in total nonsense deathmatch, there's a mod for HL2 that's been in development for a few years called Jaykin Bacon: Episode 3 which sounds a lot like the crazy mod you're describing. best weapon in the game: the Fart Cop, who is actually a player model and not a weapon. to kill enemies, you've got to run up to them and immediately do a 180 and point your rear end at them, then right click to release a death fart.

it is fuckin good

Speaking of absurd mods: Rocket Crowbar for HL1. Fairly standard deathmatch gameplay, but with a dizzying array of bizarre weaponry: exploding scientist shotguns, laser snarks, gravity grenades, and of course the rocket crowbar itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

That image fills me with tremendous nostalgia. I loved that game. I even liked the wheel. The wheel was more fun than the Chuck Yeager Advanced Flight Simulator method of making you look for word #x on page #y in the manual.

For years, I couldn't find anyone who knew what I was talking about when I mentioned Starflight. Now, it's recognized as an all-time classic computer game. I think it made a big splash when it first came out, and got a lot of praise and positive press, but something happened where it faded into obscurity for a couple of decades before people suddenly started remembering it.

It is also still available for purchase:
http://www.gog.com/game/starflight_1_2?pp=e7ee3efaf77443c04473b4a88385f8f7806071d5

There is no publisher about whose games I have more or fonder memories than Apogee. Not that long ago, I played all the way through Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, and some of the Commander Keen series. Holy poo poo were video games brutal in those days!

Beyond the Titanic, Kingdom of Kroz, Crystal Caves, Duke Nukem I and II, Major Stryker, Monster Bash, and on and on. I would read their ANSI catalogs and squirm with excitement at the idea of owning one of the games that had "Over a megabyte of detailed, high-resolution graphics," and "parallax scrolling." Twenty or thirty bucks was a total pipe dream to me or my family for most of my childhood, but I could dream. Remembering that feeling makes me briefly a little less disappointed to still be breathing.