Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

To be fair she was seeing a psychiatrist. Between that and dating an Osborne, a suicide attempt is hardly surprising.

Of course, it's not surprising, just tragic. Like Gideon still being alive.

Tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

shrike82 posted:

it's like the english have engaged in a breeding program with this as the end goal

Literal definition of the aristocracy.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO sometimes the Welsh are awesome:

If Scotland does the same thing we can drain England of all their Doctors and reclaim it once the culling is over.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Off topic but remember when I said you should read E/N for the hilarious stories it produces? One's happening right now http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763504

A story of her brother almost dying takes a sharp twist within the first page.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Off topic but remember when I said you should read E/N for the hilarious stories it produces? One's happening right now http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763504

Jesus Christ.

Like, when I had that done in hospital I genuinely didn't think anyone could possibly enjoy doing it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And that's why you should always read E/N.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Fans posted:

If Scotland does the same thing we can drain England of all their Doctors and reclaim it once the culling is over.

The SNP are too busy not bothering trying to save it and trying to shove it under the rug as much as they can.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tesseraction posted:

And that's why you should always read E/N.

We have to have something since Stars Wars Girl got banned.

Again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If there's one positive in all this [doctor horrorshow], it's that poo poo's finally falling apart far enough and fast enough to pull my family out of their liberal groove of "well that's just how it goes, the Tories mean well and are making the best of a bad situation" and towards seeing that they're selfish malicious bastards.

On the downside this is manifesting mainly as electoral and political apathy, because of course Labour are just as bad :v:

Labour would gain a great deal of ground just by promising to refund the NHS imo; complaints about cost ought to be easily deflected by stressing the importance of the service if they shout loud and long enough, they just need to do it.

Tesseraction posted:

Hahaha gently caress, called it by the end of the first post. Twelve year olds, man.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
It has been confirmed that Gravitational Waves have been detected for the first time. This is a BIG DEAL.

quote:

Being 1.3 billion light years away means that these black holes collided 1.3 billion years ago. The gravitational waves have been travelling through space for 1.3 billion years. When they arrived at Earth on 12 Sept. 2015, they caused the LIGO machinery to move by 1/1000 of the width of a proton particle. LIGO detected it. Amazing.

There is just so much that's awesome about this whole thing, so here's a link to the Guardian's live blog.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...lack-holes-live

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

It has been confirmed that Gravitational Waves have been detected for the first time. This is a BIG DEAL.

There is just so much that's awesome about this whole thing, so here's a link to the Guardian's live blog.

Yeah watching the live stream, I'm pretty happy I got to see this day.

MikeCrotch posted:

We have to have something since Stars Wars Girl got banned.

Again.

Who's Star Wars Girl or do I not want to know?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Is Star Wars Girl the one who couldn't deal with her basic finances and day to day stuff because she kept buying Star Wars action figures?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

"The power put out [by the black hole colliision] was 50 times greater than all the energy put out by all the suns in the universe"

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Is Star Wars Girl the one who couldn't deal with her basic finances and day to day stuff because she kept buying Star Wars action figures?

Yeah. Terrible at budgeting but also an ego the size of a very large thing. She was pregnant, goons kept telling her to stop eating deli meat or she was ricking stuff like early labour and the baby getting some horrible infection, she kept eating deli meat because I don't really know - she really liked it and goons are stupid? - then had the baby 6 weeks early and last post he had some infection that was possibly meningitis. It was all a bit odd. Also her husband was obsessed with Star Wars.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Aw man I never made it to the end of that thread and that's just horrible.

On the other hand it's nice to know that no matter how much of an irresponsible mess I might be in other areas, at least I'd never let my child's mother live on pastrami during pregnancy.

Because pastrami won't last around me for however long it takes me to get pickles, bread, and mustard out of the kitchen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't the deli meat thing one of those things from the US Surgeon General's office like never eating shellfish or fish or touching a drop of alcohol, whereas the UK equivalent is more like "don't drink to excess and avoid raw chicken, like you should be doing anyway"?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'll never stop loving the apparent national irony of Americans, being overly hysterical about drinking and smoking while living on a diet where "normal" toast bread is more sweet and hosed up than an Aberdeen buttery.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Aren't Scots even fatter than Americans?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Aren't Scots even fatter than Americans?

No.

65% overweight/28% obese vs 69%/36% for the Americans

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Health/TrendObesity
http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/Pages/overweight-obesity-statistics.aspx

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Broccoli salad, American style!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvepivtcoZs&t=72s

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Why is this gravity wave business exciting? Science articles in newspapers are always either uninformative or simplify things to the point of nonsense i.e. one of the guardian livestream things being like "lemme explain it to you plebes, imagine you had a tv with one channel then suddenly it started playing other channels!"

I assume its a combo of the fact that it was an incredibly lucky and impressive thing to pick up at all and also that it goes some way to confirming that gravity is a distortion of 4(or more)D space? They suggest the gravitational waves travel at the speed of light which is interesting and probably means something to someone more physicsy than I.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

different definitions of adults,
sorry m8

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Einstein was pretty loving clever.

I cannot even comprehend how awesome this is but I'm fairly sure this is pretty loving awesome!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From what I've gathered gravitational waves allow us to look further back in time towards the big bang, which allows us to make clearer observations on how the universe came into being, which can potentially allow us to explore questions on dark matter and dark energy.

Physics grads feel free to call BS on me there, I'm just regurgitating what I read in the papers.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Seemed like an incredible waste of money; it's good they're being defunded

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

shrike82 posted:

:eyepop:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

Why is this gravity wave business exciting? Science articles in newspapers are always either uninformative or simplify things to the point of nonsense i.e. one of the guardian livestream things being like "lemme explain it to you plebes, imagine you had a tv with one channel then suddenly it started playing other channels!"

I assume its a combo of the fact that it was an incredibly lucky and impressive thing to pick up at all and also that it goes some way to confirming that gravity is a distortion of 4(or more)D space? They suggest the gravitational waves travel at the speed of light which is interesting and probably means something to someone more physicsy than I.

To quote me in the physics thread,

It's an important experimental verification of a prediction of General Relativity and demonstrates that using Michaelson interferometers to detect gravity waves can tell us things about the universe.

But unless you're an astrophysicist this will have very little day to day impact, if any.

(Slightly less terse post to follow)

shrike82 posted:

Are they?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Why are you replying to Shrike? Don't do that. There's no good reason to do that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Are there any practical applications for this research though?

I'm talking about hoverboards. Real ones, not those lovely loving ghetto ones that keep exploding on youtube.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Genuinely surprised by this. Must be all that heroin :scotland:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pork Pie Hat posted:

How will Corbyn recover from this??

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Here's Jeremy Hunt running away from a junior doctor.
https://twitter.com/VileIain/status/697820953854787584

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

So to directly respond to a few things:

The universe being "4D" is more generally, in physics circles, referred to as being 3+1 dimensional; three spatial and one time. 3+1 rather than 4 because time and space are related but are not the same thing - this goes back to Special (rather than General - the gravity one) Relativity.

The 11 (or however many, more than 3+1 anyway) dimension thing is to do with quantum gravity, and in particular string theory. While it also deals with gravity in practice the things are very different - quantum gravity is about the exceptionally tiny force of gravity at a very small scale, whereas General Relativity is about astronomical scale gravity which is much easier to observe. GR doesn't "do" quantum scale, which is why there's the hunt for a quantum theory of gravity instead of having two exceptionally good theories about how things work that are completely mutually incompatible.

We've had indirect evidence for gravity waves (and that gravity travels at the speed of light) for a bit - if two heavy things are really close to eachother for a long time (most notably binary star systems) they send off gravity waves, and that takes energy out of the system that we can measure (the Sun also is sending off gravity waves - note that this is distinct from gravity the force, like the difference between a beam of light and an electric field - but only with about the same amount of power as a toaster, rather than something a thousand million million million times more or so like some binary systems). This was the first direct measurement.

The main thing is that it demonstrates that hunting for gravity waves can tell us things (because they exist :v: ) - we hadn't, for example, observed two black holes combining before but it happened just as theory suggests.

The reason that it lets us study all the way back to whenever you like is that gravity waves don't get absorbed by things. Put a bunch of stuff in between you and something interesting and the light and other particles coming from it will be blocked but gravity waves just keep on trucking.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is there a reason why the Doctors have been striking in such an ineffective manner?
Two 1-day strikes with a lot of caveats doesn't seem to have done anything except made it appear that Hunt got his way

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

tooterfish posted:

Are there any practical applications for this research though?

I'm talking about hoverboards. Real ones, not those lovely loving ghetto ones that keep exploding on youtube.

Nope

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gonzo McFee posted:

Here's Jeremy Hunt running away from a junior doctor.
https://twitter.com/VileIain/status/697820953854787584

I still maintain that he has some sort of deal with the rest of the cabinet as a human flak jacket in order to divert attention away from all the other poo poo that is being done while we are looking away. See also: Michael Gove as Education Secretary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

shrike82 posted:

Is there a reason why the Doctors have been striking in such an ineffective manner?
Two 1-day strikes with a lot of caveats doesn't seem to have done anything except made it appear that Hunt got his way

Same reason they work in the first place, because they care more about their patients than most anything else.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
You can use gravity waves to do astronomy, same as you can use light waves. It's just much harder to build the detectors. So this is cool because 1) we've confirmed a very old theoretical prediction, so yay relativity, and 2) we've demonstrated that we can in fact build gravity-wave detectors. There are plans for more: there'll be a facility in Italy soon that's comparable to LIGO (the American observatory that made this discovery). Then a few years down the road we'll get LISA, which is a giant gravitational-wave detector made up of three satellites that fly in a triangle formation, a million kilometres apart, and shine lasers between each other. That massively boosts your sensitivity.

Gravitational-wave astronomy is interesting because it lets you see things that electromagnetic-wave astronomy can't. It may even let you see back before something called the Epoch of Reionisation, which was about 300k years after the Big Bang, and before which space was opaque to electromagnetic radiation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

I still maintain that he has some sort of deal with the rest of the cabinet as a human flak jacket in order to divert attention away from all the other poo poo that is being done while we are looking away. See also: Michael Gove as Education Secretary.

The same as Gideon and the child tax credit cuts, I think a large part of it is to appear very right wing and unflappable in order to appeal to the baser Tories Tory base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Someone at the Courier thinks Scotland could stay in the EU if the UK leaves- without Scotland being independent.

http://archive.is/pH17L

That would be amazing.

• Locked thread