Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Either my mind is strong or deluded, I went to adoption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Tomo-chan continues to be great.

Also y'all have lived some very sheltered lives if young mothers/parents are completely alien and shocking to you. In 8th grade over a dozen girls at my school were pregnant. In high school one of my good friend's mother was only 14 years older than her.

Certainly not ideal but that's life, not a horror story.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Still hosed up though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Teenage pregnancy is a thing and a very real problem. I'm glad some people don't dismiss it as a "horror story" and "hosed up", and instead draw attention to it in their works for teenage girls and boys.

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 11, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Teenage pregnancy is a thing and a very real problem. I'm glad some people don't dismiss it as a "horror story" and "hosed up", and instead draw attention to it in their works for teenage girls and boys.

drat, these jokes are getting too meta for me. :(

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why is everyone talking about teenage pregnancy?? It's almost definitely a "she looks young" joke!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Why is everyone talking about teenage pregnancy?? It's almost definitely a "she looks young" joke!

Latest page specifically states the mother is 28 years old and has a 15 year old daughter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It could also just be a remarriage.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

She probably told her daughter a younger age without thinking ahead how that might look. Oops, its a joke in a comedy comic. What a surprise.

Or it's true and....

Everybody freaking out like comic books are corrupting the youths or something.

"Huge Rise in Teen Pregnancy Sweeping Japan. Tomo-chan pulled from bookshelves"

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I expect its a one off joke that will never come up again, or if it does the followup will be something like her dad turning out to be even younger

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I thought the page before it was the most recent, I see why people were freaking out now lol

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I don't know if this will make you feel better, but the original Japanese line is:

「ママはたしかー28歳だよ」

where "tashika~" has this entry in the dictionary:

perhaps; probably; maybe; I think; I suppose; I dare say; I am sure; if I am not mistaken; if I remember right(ly); if my memory serves me (well).

So it's not necessarily an accurate fact.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In this context it's "I am sure" more than anything IMO

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

a kitten posted:

"Huge Rise in Teen Pregnancy Sweeping Japan. Tomo-chan pulled from bookshelves"

Or "Tomo-Chan writer given medal, " considering Japanese birth rates recently.

Anyway, I somehow doubt that a fun and cute 4-koma is going to delve deeply into teen pregnancy. Or maybe Carol is just a very mature-looking 11-year-old who skipped a few grades! You don't know!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Truga posted:

While I'm sure this won't be related to Tomo-chan specifically, the problem is that literally every Japanese manga/anime/drama I've seen that has teenage pregnancy as an element also portrays the girls choosing to keep and raise the baby as the Morally Correct solution. The vast majority of the time the plot concludes with the girls' family and friends helping them raise the baby and the girl expressing relief that she didn't have an abortion. While abortion isn't usually flat-out morally vilified (in the sense that the girls who have them aren't portrayed as being evil or anything), it's definitely portrayed as being worse, with the characters who had an abortion usually expressing regret over their decision (and the girls who didn't expressing relief over their choice).

I wonder how much of this is due to Japan's population issues, though I imagine most of it is probably the same stuff that motivates pro-life advocates in the US.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shoujo is for teenage girls dude. in american media for teen girls they keep the baby too, im not seeing bella going through an abortion or anything

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I hope Tomo-chan stops having jokes in the future, so this sort of posting can be avoided.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Should have taken Misuzu's advice.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Me after reading 20 posts about Tomogate

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The hairstyles in Tomo are my favourites.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Teen pregnancy storylines are pretty much universally terrible regardless of origin but there's little that'll make me NOPE out of a manga faster. It's a more tolerable if they're set sometime after the kid is born and is actually a character (Bambi to Dhole for example, although that's a teen father instead of a mother) but I've never read one that had a pregnancy plot that was fit to read. Not that any of that has to do with Tomo-chan, just saying in general.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
jfc did none of you even read the chapter, it even says right there

Dezinus posted:

Me after reading 20 posts about Tomogate

I miss Jun's incredibly childish pettiness. He should do it more often.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Carol's keeping the childish quota, while Mizuzu is busy being a meanie. They are a good comedy couple, and are covering for Jun not being around as much.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fans of Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: I keep trying to read/watch this series since I like the fairy-tale theme but it feels really slow :11tea:

I understand the FeMC is more practical but is there anything outstanding other than it's calm?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Intense alchemy action? Honestly not really. I like the characters, the relationships and the art is cute. I don't consider it outstanding, but I do enjoy it greatly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't read the manga but have been watching the show and the appeal for me are the characters and relationships. It's not really an action-y show although it has moments, and the main couple's relationship has developed at a reasonable pace -- I haven't ever felt frustrated after watching it like they weren't getting anywhere because they're just really cute together.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I enjoy that there's basically 0 relationship drama.

In other news: new Kimi ni Koishite Ii desu ka. If you don't know what that is, I don't blame you because I also don't know Japanese the last update was April 2015

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 11, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
holy crap how long has it been since that updated!

e: hope it's not another year before another one jeez

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 11, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

In other news: new Kimi ni Koishite Ii desu ka. If you don't know what that is, I don't blame you because I also don't know Japanese the last update was April 2015

Ah, it's like a shoujo version of Angel Densetsu without most of the humor and where the guy doesn't really look scary at all (not that this means it's bad; Angel Densetsu is kind of a high bar to clear).

I think this particular scene from the beginning happened in exactly the same way in Angel Densetsu - http://bato.to/reader#81c14532ca9ea264_12

edit: I like the part where he's comparing his situation against the shoujo manga and notices how the "second guy" was just discarded. I always feel bad for the guy in shoujo manga who is obviously there only to indirectly help set up the main couple.

Davincie posted:

shoujo is for teenage girls dude. in american media for teen girls they keep the baby too, im not seeing bella going through an abortion or anything

I'm not just talking about shoujo; I'm also referring to stuff like live-action television dramas.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 12, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And the new tomo moves on without a problem

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Captain Invictus posted:

And the new tomo moves on without a problem

Still waiting for Carol to reveal she has three older sisters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Latest update of Hidamari ga Kikoeru was not good for my heart at all :ohdear:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I saw someone had mentioned this when I was reading through chat thread backlog but it's a josei title so I'm gonna talk about it here a bit: Shirogane no Ou and its sequel Fenrir Craft.

quote:

A lone mercenary traveling in a foreign land is forced to participate in a street brawl, fighting back-to-back with a gun-toting man wearing a pelt around his shoulders. When they emerge from the attack unscathed, the man orders him to become his bodyguard. Only then does the mercenary-turned-bodyguard learn a surprising fact - this spirited fighter is the King; and between near-daily assassination attempts and His Majesty's obvious disdain for him, his life at the palace is not an easy one. But eventually, the bodyguard begins to realize that there is a reason behind the King's arrogant demeanour - one which he becomes determined to find out. Still... how can he protect a man who doesn't want to be protected?

It's a fantasy adventure with hot guys, plus there's a talking wolf pelt and a lady who is also an entire castle :v: It's a fun manga and the first part is complete at one volume so it's not a huge time commitment if you're interested enough to check it out. The sequel was a dead project for a while but Bamboo Feathers has picked up and started from where Storm in Heaven left off so even though there are translations floating around for chapters 2 and 3 already, they do a good job and I'd just read their releases instead of those others which IIRC were kinda rough. Chapter 4 just came out today and they're doing pretty frequent releases to finish it out so I'm excited to actually be able to read the rest of it!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like this manga about a manga-ka who is struggling with her latest series but doesn't give up on her work with the support of her editor : http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/pen-to-chocolate-r6463

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Tomo-chan Chapter 9-17 Specials/Omake/Extras

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

good

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The best.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

For a minute I thought the side art was supposed to be Tomo with a stand, until I realised it was her mother and father in highschool. :3:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tomo-mom with a stand clearly isn't far off, either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Magan and Danai continues to be funny and cute.