Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Metroid's dead, y'all. So's Megaman and Earthbound. So're all the other games we loved as kids. Time for us to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I had two problems with EDF 2025 on the PS3. One of them was the frame rate. I've now got EDF 4.1 on PS4 and the frame rate is much smoother. But they didn't fix my other problem with the game, which was that when a building collapses there isn't enough smoke! They couldn't have much smoke on PS3 because the frame rate was bad enough as it was but the PS4 has frames to spare, so dial up the smoke! As it is I can see the bits of building falling into the floor and it doesn't look good. The effect was done better in the old PS2 version which used- can you guess?- lots and lots of smoke.

Also I tried to upload a screenshot and when it was done the game hadn't paused and I'd been killed by enemies while uploading my screenshot. Does it not auto-pause? Presumably that's a setting somewhere I can change?

You want the framerate to suck on EDF, it adds to the magic.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Metroid's dead, y'all. So's Megaman and Earthbound. So're all the other games we loved as kids. Time for us to move on.

30 year old gamer clutching his Samus, Megaman, and Ness Amiibos: NO! I'll never let go! Never!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Screaming Idiot posted:

At least Earthbound ended on a high note.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inco posted:

At least Earthbound ended on a high note.

Metroid did, too
Because Other M doesn't actually exist

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I mean there's Shovel Knight and Undertale (or LISA if you like LISA, I don't). I don't have my finger on the pulse of not-Metroid as much but there's Axiom Verge and Ghost Song the shameless Super Metroid clone is coming out this year-ish and looks like it has a decent shot at being good. Indies have taken over a lot of dead franchises, in spirit if not in IP.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I bought Devil May Cry 4 for the PC after buying and beating 3, and I literally cannot play it. For some reason when I try to run forward with Nero, he only walks. He can run in any direction but forward. I tried recalibrating my controller, but no dice. Apparently this has been a known issue since the game came out, so I either have to buy a new controller that doesn't have that weird dead zone or I have to use the keyboard controls.

Also the keyboard controls are a travesty, with your basic attacks bound to weird buttons like I or K. I could try to deal with only walking, but several people on the Steam support page mentioned a frog boss that is nigh impossible if you cannot run forward.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Death waves in Cities: Skylines. Sometimes it's like my whole city has a skull and bones over each building. And why the hell do cemeteries only have 12 hearses whose programming is so lovely that no dead ever get collected? I've tried many mods but none fix it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
X-com 2 wonderful game that I would probably really enjoy if it actually loving started on my system because it seems to be really poorly constructed.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

X-com 2 wonderful game that I would probably really enjoy if it actually loving started on my system because it seems to be really poorly constructed.

Weird, because it runs better than it should on my crappy desktop that doesn't even have a proper graphics card yet. I gave it a shot expecting it to either not run at all or have a horrible frame rate, but surprisingly enough it's good enough to be both playable and enjoyable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Metroid did, too
Because Other M doesn't actually exist

Prime 3 was very weak compared to 1 and 2 too

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Death waves in Cities: Skylines. Sometimes it's like my whole city has a skull and bones over each building. And why the hell do cemeteries only have 12 hearses whose programming is so lovely that no dead ever get collected? I've tried many mods but none fix it.

You have been selected as High Gravelord of the Necropolis. This is a tremendous honor.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Never! Just wait until my metroidvania earthbound inspired jrpg with noir elements made in rpgmaker2015 comes out on kickstarter, then you'll all see that games aren't dead! -90% of indiegame devs.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Never! Just wait until my metroidvania earthbound inspired jrpg with noir elements made in rpgmaker2015 comes out on kickstarter, then you'll all see that games aren't dead! -90% of indiegame devs.

And yet the indies are utterly eclipsing the lovely Kickstarted has-beens like Mighty Number 9.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm grateful to Mighty Number 9 for showing people exactly what happens when you kickstart a game based on nothing but spite and nostalgia -- a mediocre mess that will quickly be forgotten save for its value as a punchline. Thanks, Inafune, for showing us that Megaman is finally dead.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

And yet the indies are utterly eclipsing the lovely Kickstarted has-beens like Mighty Number 9.

Isn't that almost every big kickstarter game so far? Even Schafer suffered from it on Broken Age.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I never heard mighty number 9 came out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Holy crap you're not kidding. I honestly wrote it off during the ks due to the lack of any inspiration in the art (beyond "NUH UH, it's totes not copyright infringement") and the fact that there was no talk at all about why it'd be a good game beyond "remember megaman????"

Check out this video, skip to about 4 mins in. The art direction is trash, the movement is somehow both slow and jerky, the levels and weapons don't look fun at all, the person playing the game is horrible at it, and the discussion about what makes the game good seems like he doesn't get the community at all ("well, we put in hyper mode where everything is instakill so the hardcore gamers will love that")
https://youtu.be/1L236S9dqSY

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Isn't that almost every big kickstarter game so far? Even Schafer suffered from it on Broken Age.

Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun. Though D:OS was only partly Kickstarter-funded.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Eh, KS has a reputation for that but there have actually only been a couple big time letdowns or failures, whilst mostly it seems to have a pretty standard mix across the quality and backer enjoyment range.

But hey speaking of which, I enjoyed Dead State well enough but god drat does it have a long and dragging middle game. Early game is great, you're getting your bearings, struggling for decent gear, wondering where to get your next meal, etc.. Late game is good because it gives you a solid objective to work towards. Middle game is pretty much directionless, and worse, lasts for loving ever. Game really needed modability to get more content in there or something.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sentient Data posted:

Holy crap you're not kidding. I honestly wrote it off during the ks due to the lack of any inspiration in the art (beyond "NUH UH, it's totes not copyright infringement") and the fact that there was no talk at all about why it'd be a good game beyond "remember megaman????"

Check out this video, skip to about 4 mins in. The art direction is trash, the movement is somehow both slow and jerky, the levels and weapons don't look fun at all, the person playing the game is horrible at it, and the discussion about what makes the game good seems like he doesn't get the community at all ("well, we put in hyper mode where everything is instakill so the hardcore gamers will love that")

They also removed the various transformations because they ran out of money.

Probably the one thing I was looking forward to.

At least that Bloodstained game looks cool, and I find it hilarious that the main character's most prominent feature is a rose on her right tit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sentient Data posted:

I'll be honest, I dropped my interest in the game like a hot coal the second I saw the first previews where they didn't use a 2D style like the concept mockups and instead used that god awful 3D visuals that somehow managed to look worse than any of the 3D megaman games. Then they made the pre-order bonus a "retro" costume straight out of minecraft. Hearing the rest of this is just absolutely hilarious.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Digirat posted:

I never heard mighty number 9 came out.

It didn't, its delayed again.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alteisen posted:

At least that Bloodstained game looks cool, and I find it hilarious that the main character's most prominent feature is a rose on her right tit.

It's a worthy follow-up to the main character whose most prominent feature was her extremely backless outfit.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Sentient Data posted:

Lol.

I'm Doctor White.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think in a vacuum MN9 looks fine but jesus everything about Inafune has done around it seems awful. I don't care about your dumb anime that you want to launch man, focus on your dumb game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm playing Nom Nom Galaxy off of PS+. It's similar to Terraria from general gameplay; you build soup factories, harvest ingredients and defend your factory, and a big part of it is automating the processes. For the tutorial it throws you in a fully built factory, which is overwhelming at first, but you quickly learn what all the automation elements do, how to interact with them, and generally how things are supposed to flow. And then once you've got your head around it, you enter the game proper where you start with nothing and have to unlock elements and features one by one, and everything suddenly seems like pointless busywork.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

My Lovely Horse posted:

And then once you've got your head around it, you enter the game proper where you start with nothing and have to unlock elements and features one by one, and everything suddenly seems like pointless busywork.

That's part of why I wasn't a big fan of Metroid Prime for a similar reason. You get to go around blowing poo poo up being badass for five minutes, then some arbitrary plot event happens that makes you lose all your poo poo and now all you can do is walk around, shoot your basic weapon with no charge feature, and jump 2 feet. Cool, thanks game! I love doing several hours of scavenger hunts before I get to have fun again.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

You mean "The Underside"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8utQ5x0oM

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

quote:

the game's graphics and engine are (believe it or not) completely original.

It's not even any of those things, it's Cave Story. It's just Cave Story. Dude's site even compares the game's gameplay to Cave Story like no one will realize the aesthetic, platforming and combat mechanics are identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0CCkH49g0

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personally I'm 100% A-OK and on board with him ripping off as much of Cave Story as he wants as long as the game actually comes out, but it's been over 10 years and it's not going to.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JaggerMcDagger posted:

quote:

This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.

Well that happened fast.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Caphi posted:

It's not even any of those things, it's Cave Story. It's just Cave Story. Dude's site even compares the game's gameplay to Cave Story like no one will realize the aesthetic, platforming and combat mechanics are identical.

This is so nostalgic. I miss the old indie games scene.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like everything about Cave Story but I've never finished it. I continuously lose interest in every attempt and I've never made it further than the jetpack thing. Metroidvania games are my jam and I love the graphics and music of Cave Story but I just cannot finish the fuckin' thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RyokoTK posted:

I like everything about Cave Story but I've never finished it. I continuously lose interest in every attempt and I've never made it further than the jetpack thing. Metroidvania games are my jam and I love the graphics and music of Cave Story but I just cannot finish the fuckin' thing.

Booster 0.8 or 2.0?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't know? I know they're different but whichever one I got, I just lost steam right afterward.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RyokoTK posted:

Cave Story's not really a Metroidvania. It's more of a Mega Man game where you can move in directions other than right.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Underside still isn't out yet!?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RyokoTK posted:

I don't know? I know they're different but whichever one I got, I just lost steam right afterward.

I was wondering if you were on path to the bonus dungeon or not. When Booster falls down you have to jump over the gap and proceed onward without the Booster 0.8. He'll show up later with the 2.0, which allows finer flight control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've beaten Cave Story but not legit, I always grab the Booster 2.0 because it's a much cooler jetpack but then I have to go through the practice-for-Hell version of the final dungeon and I am just not good enough at video games. It's entirely my own fault but hey.