Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

[Armchair Dev]
Personally, I'd like to see Large Ships as virtually immobile in combat- thrusters being weak, momentum very high, etc. Their primary mode of transport is Jumping. Perhaps adding in a smaller jump drive that only goes a few K for smaller large ships, but anyway. Plus, gun turrets being hardened a bit. Lastly, AI turrets target powered blocks sources randomly-- they don't target Guns first, they roll a die and pick, say, and oxy generator to shoot at. Decoy blocks get a better chance of being picked, and turrets pick a new target every 5-8 seconds until they find a command chair, gun, or reactor (and/or, set by the Control panel)

The idea being that two Large Ships can beat on each other for a long time, encouraging the use of directed-fire weapons (ideally, Homeworld-style Ion cannons added) and Fighters/Bombers. Have three Tiers of gun turret- Antiperson/Point Defense (can target missiles and locks quickly), Medium (current, but with tracking speed slower, can't target missiles, takes several seconds to target Small blocks), and Large (most damage, can't target Small at all, lousy tracking).

Now you have two+ capital ships duking it out and blasting holes in each other, with several fighters dogfighting between them (or a Large bombarding a Station, etc).
[/Armchair Dev]

Realistic space combat would likely be more "divert comet to hit enemy planet/landing zone(s)"... there will never be 'battleships' or 'carriers' as reality/scifi knows them. Imagine trying to hit an enemy ship in Kerbal.

realistic space combat hovers between denying potentially useful orbits and raining down death rocks on the stupid fuckers who are still inside the gravity well

fake edit: asteroids can do both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

The first thing would have to be a revamp of the damage model. As it is now an armor block can deform a bit and vaporize any non-deformable block attached to it or even a block away because it does infinite damage. Then the weapons need to be redone as well.

For new systems I think a power management system would be good, The old "Divert power to weapons/engines" kind of thing where everything can't just run at max all the time or turned off. It would be good for non-combat stuff too.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jigoku San posted:

The first thing would have to be a revamp of the damage model. As it is now an armor block can deform a bit and vaporize any non-deformable block attached to it or even a block away because it does infinite damage. Then the weapons need to be redone as well.

For new systems I think a power management system would be good, The old "Divert power to weapons/engines" kind of thing where everything can't just run at max all the time or turned off. It would be good for non-combat stuff too.

the engine already hitches when two deformable objects hit each other at low speed

an asteroid peaceing through a large block ship sounds easy but once the engine has to evaluate every single block that it hits?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jigoku San posted:

energy based weapons would be neat, we already have a bit of energy management in the game so it wouldn't be difficult to add power management with energy weapons.

I suspect the machine guns are currently hitscan which sucks

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They aren't hitscan.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

pun pundit posted:

Aurora 4X is the spreadsheetiest of all games, but its combat is like that.

Yes, I played some Aurora but just couldn't get past the interface, and I love dwarf fortress. The Harpoon series is also games about modern naval warfare, and I'd go mostly in that direction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

one bushwhacking long-range strike

That should be enough. It's a game of see but not be seen. Ideally and when your enemy has done his homework, his first attack should so blindingly cripple the vessel as to not give a chance of a counterattack or running away. When you're hit "out of nowhere" you haven't seen the enemy who has already seen you and are basically at his mercy. The interesting thing is that with long range weapons, you would have no real confirmation of if you actually killed your target or if he's just playing dead, having seen your attack. In real naval battle, that confirmation sometimes is the hard part, at least without giving your own position away and opening yourself to counterstrike in case you didn't actually get them or get them all, but then the earth is round. Of course this all wouldn't be realistic but I'd at least find it interesting. I'm aware this is way past what the engine actually does and will never happen but boy would I find it to be fun. As the game is now, it's mostly a space mining simulator. Well, nothing wrong with that.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

GotLag posted:

They aren't hitscan.

Then they need to slow the bullets down because they may as well be

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Splode posted:

Then they need to slow the bullets down because they may as well be

They can't touch you if you fly at max speed. Do the Battlestar Viper thing and just drift by on inertia while strafing the hell out of them.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I guess I'm just bad at the game

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Some sort of long range targeting/detection system, with the ability to align your ship automatically to the target for gravity torpedoes or long range railgun like weapons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Some sort of long range targeting/detection system, with the ability to align your ship automatically to the target for gravity torpedoes or long range railgun like weapons.

I just use a Telescope :v:. The game sorely needs a proper sensor/radar system though.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
I built an RB-79 Ball from Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That is a thing of beauty :captainpop:. How self-destructive are the arms and gun in flight?

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is a thing of beauty :captainpop:. How self-destructive are the arms and gun in flight?

Thanks.
They wobble like crazy, but I cheated and slipped some shield generators in it so they don't immediately rip themselves apart.
It handles just like the real thing, It's nicknamed the "Mobile Coffin" for a reason.

I'd like to try setting up some arm controls with a precise rotor script.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I actually also built something new.

Wait, hold on, it's missing something...

That's better. :yarr:

The cannons are from Rider's Cannon Pack, they're 900mm broadside jobs. With enough room for a small angle of fire, in theory.

Still trying to get it to hover on Atmospheric Thrusters though. Right now it sinks like a stone without Hydrogen Thrusters :gibs:.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Patch dropped!

Drui posted:

Summary
In this week’s update we are introducing a new batch of bug and enhancements.
We fixed batteries and solar panels not outputting power, we resolved the issue with safe environment on dedicated servers and improved the visual feeling of trees and bushes that may have looked like a plastic. Also we fixed as issue with LCDs screens where images would be displayed there permanently.
Make sure you check out the video update, there is a small sneak peak for you on what we are working on. Bare in mind that what you are going to see is work in progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLh7cSU9RI

Fixes
- fixed character is getting damage when grinding/welding blocks
- fixed blocks working without electricity
- fixed audio volume bug (too loud)
- fixed programmable block missing functionality: GetBlockGroupWithName
- fixed flora and Sun Rotation is off by default on DS
- fixed cryochamber not powered in tutorial 1
- fixed trash removal removing rotor top parts and piston top parts
- fixed sound playing louder when player is holding tool
- fixed antenna broadcasting without power
- fixed some players can't hear a-thrusters but others can
- fixed turret sound cutting too early
- fixed rotating wheel does not have same color as the font (in loading screen)
- fixed sorter list is full of welders
- fixed solar panels not recharging batteries on DS
- fixed particle effect of grinder is really big
- fixed no sound when moving objects in inventories by holding Ctrl/Shift
- fixed respawn ship cooldown not persisting on DS
- fixed crash when setting max. floating objects in DS console
- fixed LCD - removal of a texture from "Selected Textures" window doesn't switch the texture off
- fixed Gatling turret control is not damaging blocks around you
- fixed hostility setting on DS keeps resetting
- fixed plastic grass

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

In this week’s update we are introducing a new batch of bug and enhancements.
Sounds about right

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week's notable bug is that Small Block rotors won't attach to Large Block rotor bases. Needless to say, I am less than thrilled by this.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This week's notable bug is that Small Block rotors won't attach to Large Block rotor bases. Needless to say, I am less than thrilled by this.

Nononononnono don't tell me this is happening.

Like half of what I make relies on that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bondematt posted:

Nononononnono don't tell me this is happening.

Like half of what I make relies on that.

I am REEEEAAAAAALLY hoping that it's just something due to them fixing rotor/piston heads and will get fixed in the inevitable day-one hotfix. It's already pretty much legit design rather than something hacked on by players by chance, because the developers allowed rotor heads to be de/reattached and gave us separate rotor head parts around the time people started showing off that trick.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hey guys, I made a rambling post about fission and fusion on the official suggestion forums, what do you think?
http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/making-fission-reactors-interesting-and-maybe-adding-fusion.7379821/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

Hey guys, I made a rambling post about fission and fusion on the official suggestion forums, what do you think?
http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/making-fission-reactors-interesting-and-maybe-adding-fusion.7379821/

I'd be more interested in just seeing a big multi-part reactor. Like a core that pumps out player-killing radiation if unshielded with reinforced armor/lead blocks while running. Whoops, there's a hole in the reactor from that last hit and it's nuking half the ship! :ohdear:. Even when turned off, it'll take a few minutes for the rads to drop down to non-lethal levels.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd be more interested in just seeing a big multi-part reactor. Like a core that pumps out player-killing radiation if unshielded with reinforced armor/lead blocks while running. Whoops, there's a hole in the reactor from that last hit and it's nuking half the ship! :ohdear:. Even when turned off, it'll take a few minutes for the rads to drop down to non-lethal levels.

That could be fun, but I think adding just a little bit of strategy to the different power types is much more worth it, IMO.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Multipart machines are very much my thing, but does space engineers have the capability for them to exist yet?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I think mods have managed it? I don't see why not.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know that. That's good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I take it back about the rotor bug, looks like with further testing that only the Battlecarrier decided to spontaneously disconnect its central core and manufacturing plate. Despite them both being maglocked securely in place :argh:.

Interesting undocumented change though; detached blocks now remember what should be in the hotbar/timer instead of that generic cube. Popped the factoring plate into its rotor and the console showed all the projectors on the hotbar like it never left.

edit: If you haven't already, check out the Rotorless Graphical Radar script. The height isn't too great, but you can set the horizontal range up to 50km (theoretically).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 12, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the things that's been a minor annoyance with the Avalon is that it's a feature-creeped rebuild-of-a-rebuild-of-a-rebuild with lots of stuff crammed in just where it'd fit. I wanted to try making something similar-sized from the ground up while waiting/hoping for the bugs involving landing gear and rotor heads to get fixed.

Say hello to the Avarice-class Battlecarrier. I haven't touched the interior yet beyond a basic guess at a layout for triple hangar decks and the engine room.

I only wanted to make it a little larger, but it turns out 1/3rd wider at it's widest point is actually quite a bit more (45 blocks vs 30) than I thought it'd be and it's become a fatty-fat fat fat. Incidentally, the Avalon has four banks of twenty Heavy Defense Turrets. The Avarice has eight banks of twenty-four :orks101:.

The main engines are somewhat armored, and I'll leave the four fighter-filled tubes to the Battlestar fans to guess what they're for.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
That's really nice work, Neddy. :) I like the way you use angle blocks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

That's really nice work, Neddy. :) I like the way you use angle blocks.

I really like the way the armor ribs between the broadside guns turned out :allears:.

That said, I'm stuck reinforcing the armor from the outside in before doing anything with the interior.

I've done most of the back half, inbetween fiddling with the three hangar decks, but still need to do the front half of the ship.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
New patch!

All details and video with that poor programmer dude looking awkward in front of the camera here...

http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-122-hit-confirmation-bug-fixes.7380132/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Like so;

quote:

Summary
This week we are introducing a hit confirmation on all weapons. A successful hit to any NPC character or a character in multiplayer with a weapon will be represented visually by changing the cross-hair, including its color, and auditory, with a sound effect.
On the visual side we tweaked glass surfaces a bit to look more visible with added scratches and dirt.
Don’t forget to check the video update for more information about saving the bandwidth in multiplayer explained by one of our programmers.
NOTE: the cross-hair hit confirmation visual representation demonstrated in the video is a WIP version and differs from the one that is included in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnif7doBi78

Features
- Hit Confirmation

Fixes
- fixed Increase the distance of picking up items from ground
- fixed memory leaks in render
- fixed oxygen causing performance issues
- fixed writing into two chats at once when in scenario screen
- added control over rotor and piston locking
- fixed mass not recalculating correctly
- fixed deleting asteroids does not remove .vx2 file
- fixed desync of ranks on reconnect DS
- fixed landing gear can locked on welders "area of effect"
- fixed bounding box of items is never updating the size
- fixed cannot place blocks Issue on planets
- fixed blueprint pasted and changed, still is saved with old tool
- fixed conveyor still working after it's grinded down

And man is that poor programmer really looking awkward in front of the camera :allears:.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
When is this game going to get stable enough to see multiplayer goonplay pick up again? What's holding things back?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

When is this game going to get stable enough to see multiplayer goonplay pick up again? What's holding things back?

Multiplayer's what they're currently working on at the moment, it's just not something they can push a bunch of interstitial updates out on before it's ready like they did with Planets. They're burning down the entire netcode and redoing it from scratch in a way that is Not (Completely) poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
e: poo poo, wrong thread.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing of note for the week, they fixed the bug causing locked landing gear to detach rotor heads. My ship's CPU core and manufacturing cell live once more :peanut:.

Incidentally the Avarice's CIC is a... little more Battlestar-y.

The table at the center is the projection table for the Holographic Radar Mod. The sloped-down LCD's are gonna have the Rotorless DRADIS Radar script.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I've decided, after binging on Star Trek a bit, that my future ships will follow the Cardassian model of ship design; make it look like a fish. :v:

Also the Cardassians had sweet looking ships.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rhjamiz posted:

Also the Cardassians will have sweet looking ships.

This isn't star wars.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Spookydonut posted:

This isn't star wars.

Isn't the Cardassian empire ~400 years old when DS9 happens? They may have sweet ships right this moment! :techno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
When testing fighter-launching gravity catapults, it turns out it's a good idea to empty the 10,000,000+kg of ammo in your pockets first. It's also prudent to then dial down the number of mass blocks in said test fighter to account for this lack of excessive ammo or else it may get... wobbly.

I also updated the published version of the Hawk so if anyone's playing with one, they can now catapult them too.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 19, 2016

• Locked thread