Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

some texas redneck posted:

An hour.. that's cute. :allears:

(a bit over 6 hours yesterday)

Difference being you work from yours. If I had to do your work I'd buy an auto diesel S80 first day. So goddamned comfortable. Acceptable economy.

Most of the NVH is due to the road I'm on, constant droning at the same rpm over stretches of ridged concrete roadway sucks, I'm thinking of putting a bit of soundproofing on the doors then the floor, see what that does for me. I need to sort an aux in as well, I'm missing putting Google music through the car stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

88h88 posted:

...and then there's this dude, aged 70 in the video and lifting more than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA

:drat:

I have no aspirations to be like that amazing dude, but going to the gym has noticeably improved my health and weight in the last 4 months. I got a pretty late start at 50, but I like the results so far and definitely want to keep this as a habit in my life from now on. As an office drone, I was getting pretty round and soft.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I used to love listening to music while driving somewhere, but ever since I started working in one of the busiest retail stores in the state, I can't loving stand it and I enjoy the silence of driving by myself and nobody saying anything

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

I used to love listening to music while driving somewhere, but ever since I started working in one of the busiest retail stores in the state, I can't loving stand it and I enjoy the silence of driving by myself and nobody saying anything

When I was younger, I could not go anywhere without good music, usually blasting out of the system. Then I had kids, and I listened to a lot of Kids Place Live on XM, which was surprisingly non-suicide-inducing. Now that I have some quiet time in the car, I find myself listening to NPR. It's weird.

But, I've been listening to a lot of Afghan Whigs when working in the garage lately, so credibility regained.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I used to listen to the radio a hell of a lot more before I started driving a car with a V8 and nice exhaust.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

To study I sometimes listen to chillwave or house or other not-crazy electronica but I'm seriously considering getting noise cancelling headphones.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Kastein your snapchat this morning cracked me up. That's how I felt the other day driving to Jerry Springer. A 1.45hr trip one way took over 2.5hrs each way cuz there were flurries and everyone was driving like a bitch. The snow was barely even sticking to the road smh.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

88h88 posted:

It makes me sad to see people not taking care of themselves, even though I have a gym in the garage and tootle to work on a bike every day I still feel like I'm not doing enough despite being fitter than ever. Seems when people get older they just do less and start to feel bad and then use that as an excuse to do even less because they're not as fit as they once were. It's just an endless loop of loving themselves over with excuses.

My plan is to lift some weights, but I have no desire to look ripped like that. Just. No.

Good on him, though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The head unit in the BMW died and I have no tunes at the moment, but my drives rarely last longer than 20 minutes.

I enjoy the Bavarian six piece symphony very much thanks to the CAI and a heavy foot. Every now and then I want music, but it has to wait until we close.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Radios are Xanax for old cars. Worried about noises and odd creaks? Turn up the radio.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ilkhan posted:

My plan is to lift some weights, but I have no desire to look ripped like that. Just. No.

It's highly unlikely you ever would, that right there takes a serious amount of dedication. Your comment is kinda like women who think they'll end up looking like the incredible Hulk is they even approach a squat rack. Ain't gonna happen! :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

So we went out for dinner tonight since I couldn't get off work for V-Day. Went to an upscale Japanese steakhouse that we like and had amazing food. The tables are u-shaped around the grill so the guy throws your food at you as it's done? You know the type?

So anyways, we sit next to this couple and their clearly a shut-in nerdy as gently caress son and they're celebrating his 27th year of being a weird creep and he starts trying to take a selfie and get my girlfriend in the frame. It was weird as gently caress. Like was he trying to instagram it and be like "here's this hot chick i'm totally not on a date with!" It got so uncomfortable we had to switch seats and then he got up and went and sat at the bar for the rest of the time we were there.

Awkward as gently caress.

Awkward, indeed.
That's really the only thing I don't like about those hibachi grill places - unless you go with a huge group, you end up sitting next to strangers.

KozmoNaut posted:

I am STEAMING loving MAD right now.

My insurance company apparently believed the other persons testimony more, even after viewing my dashcam video, so they're saying I'm 100% at fault. They're saying I should have looked out for other traffic before performing a lane change and that I "forced her into the other lane". How that somehow justifies the fact that she rammed me, I have no idea

I calmed myself down a bit and wrote a very clear an concise email that I did not accept that ruling, that I did in fact check my mirrors and over my shoulder, and it was completely clear before I began my lane change, and that it was only after I had begun my maneuver that she tried to overtake and then rammed me.

gently caress!

In the US, unless you actually changed lanes into the other car, if you were ahead, you were in control of the lane and therefore not (or less) at fault. Usually.
It may be lawyer time, if there are significant $$ at stake.

Nice! That Phantom's got a pretty good camera, and the drone itself seems nice and stable in the video.
My Parrot AR.Drone is neat, but it's almost too lightweight to fly outdoors, and too big for indoors. It does at least have both a forward-facing and a down-facing camera, and it is controlled and streams to my iPhone over WiFi (I need an newer iPad to fly it POV - screen's too small on my iPhone 5.) It's pretty fun to fly, but any wind sends it skittering all over. I got it for all of $75, so I'm not complaining. And yes, I got the FAA license, though I need to put a sticker with the number in/on the drone.

So uh... it's a good thing when you check your oil and there's just a tiny drop on the end of the dipstick, right? :stonkhat:

Either it's developed a sudden leak, or it's started burning a lot of oil. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and it was just a hair under the full mark. Yeah I know, I should check it more often, but I've only had to add one quart, once, between oil changes, so I wasn't really expecting the oil to drop like that. I have oil and filters, and it's been about 6000 miles, so I'm going to go ahead and change it a little early (and send a sample off to Blackstone).

Thanks for reminding me that I should check my oil soon.
Just ordered a test kit to send a sample to Blackstone myself, since I don't really know the CV's service history prior to my purchase.

88h88 posted:

Dang! That's impressive.

88h88 posted:

I'm not going to tell someone not to spend money on speakers, because music is the best thing in this lovely world.

Decent speakers make even a mediocre factory stereo so much better.
And yeah, separates are surprisingly expensive. You should look at Sonic Electronix, BTW. Same stuff as Crutchfield, plus a bunch of cheaper stuff, and they include dash kits and adapters like Crutchfield does. I believe they even include mounting and harness adapters on door speakers. I've had good luck with them so far.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

88h88 posted:

It's highly unlikely you ever would, that right there takes a serious amount of dedication. Your comment is kinda like women who think they'll end up looking like the incredible Hulk is they even approach a squat rack. Ain't gonna happen! :v:

Yeah, that takes a whole lot of work. He's in competition, so he's working specifically to look like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

In the US, unless you actually changed lanes into the other car, if you were ahead, you were in control of the lane and therefore not (or less) at fault. Usually.
It may be lawyer time, if there are significant $$ at stake.

I'll stick to the complaints process for now, as there is a well-defined complaints process with several escalating levels, the highest being the insurance complaints board.

My main argument is that her reported version of the events directly contradicts the video on several points. The most important of those is that she claims that I accelerated wildly along side her to overtake her on the inside, when in fact I was ahead of her the whole time.

And of course the collision only happened after I was actually fully within the lane and had completely finished my maneuver.

She could have braked at any point during her hazardous overtaking maneuver or even just released the accelerator, and nothing would have happened.

Her report is also extremely accusatory and tries to pin anger issues etc. on me, which is part of why I'm so amazed my insurance company actually believed it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 11, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

88h88 posted:

There is a young woman at my gym who is the proof of this. She is very shapely (to say the least), not big at all (maybe 120#? I'm bad at weight guessing), and you would never guess if you saw her that she was a weigh lifter.

She does over 300# on the weird forward leaning squat machine, and does around 200# on the barbell. It's pretty funny seeing this girl out lift the massively ripped dude's.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything for myself with my tax refund - just pay off some bills. Then I cranked up the stereo in my car yesterday. :downsgun: Just made an order with Crutchfield for new front speakers. Affordable ones, at least (Polk coaxials). And I'm current on every single bill for the first time in about 6 months (and a zero balance on every credit card now), so $75 on new front speakers + adapters to tie them into factory wiring doesn't seem too terrible. Right?

Right?

:doh:

Sonic Electronics has the Polk db651s for $65.
I'm not sure what you consider "good", but they have Rockford Fosgate PRIME R165-S components for $65.
JBL GTO608C for $71.
Infinity Reference 6030cs for $107.

Huh. When did Precision Power become a budget brand? I remember when they were high end, at least for amps.
Oh, wow, Soundstream, too?
Is Hifonics any good any more? seems like half the brnads from when I was into Car Sereo in the '90s are budget (probably Chinese) brands now

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll stick to the complaints process for now, as there is a well-defined complaints process with several escalating levels, the highest being the insurance complaints board.

My main argument is that her reported version of the events directly contradicts the video on several points. The most important of those is that she claims that I accelerated wildly along side her to overtake her on the inside, when in fact I was ahead of her the whole time.

And of course the collision only happened after I was actually fully within the lane and had completely finished my maneuver.

She could have braked at any point during her hazardous overtaking maneuver or even just released the accelerator, and nothing would have happened.

Her report is also extremely accusatory and tries to pin anger issues etc. on me, which is part of why I'm so amazed my insurance company actually believed it.

Yeah, if there is a complaint process, definitely follow that. I posted before I saw that you commented such a thing existed. The ability to complain to an official board or oversight is... I'm not even sure that's something that we can do here in the US. Probably, but no one knows how to do it, and then no one there cares, most likely.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

Consumers pay $35.22 in taxes for every gallon of spirits [in washington state], according to a survey by Washington, D.C.-based Tax Foundation in 2013. The next-highest state tax rate is Oregon's, at $22.73 a gallon. Most states charge $10 or less a gallon of liquor taxes; there are 3.78 liters in a gallon.

I think I like beer better anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExplodingSims posted:

So on one hand, destroying a walk in cooler and freezer combo with a combo of sledgehammers and sawzalls is really, really fun.
On the other hand, carrying 30 panels filled with solid ice to a dumpster is not so much fun. And now my arms feel like spagetti.

In conclusion, demolition day is day of many mixed emotions.

In other news, why is that when I don't have the money for it, I can find the truck I'm looking for all over craigslist for cheap, but now that I have the money to spare on it, it's nowhere to be found.
Such is the life of loving vintage trucks I suppose.

Agreed. Demo is a ton of fun, construction is a ton of fun... hauling around sharp, pointy, nasty, moldy, heavy, and/or ungainly chunks and bags of demolition debris SUCKS.

I only have one and a quarter more rooms to demo and clear before I can hang up my wrecking bar and NEVER DO DEMO AGAIN. At least until it's time to do the front and back porches, all the siding, and the windows.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I already went through trade school and have been in the field since 2010. I made bank when you don't get laid off for 8 months out of the year. All the non-union shops pay like half of what my union gig did but you still get laid off all the time. If I moved 2 hours east to Boston it'd be a lot easier to land a job, but I absolutely hate Boston with a passion.

Move to Dorchester or Brockton. Much closer to Boston for work and all the sights and sounds of home.

e:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Kastein your snapchat this morning cracked me up. That's how I felt the other day driving to Jerry Springer. A 1.45hr trip one way took over 2.5hrs each way cuz there were flurries and everyone was driving like a bitch. The snow was barely even sticking to the road smh.
:lol: the loving pavement was DRY and we spent several minutes on the highway at a dead stop. Then got going again and... there was nothing there to cause any sort of a slowdown.

gently caress I hate the driving public.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 11, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

The fiber optics guy called and since it's been 60 days since I failed the piss test they gave the go ahead to take it again, probably next week. On the lookout for the official email. So loving pumped.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God it's so soul crushing filling out a resume/linkedin profile with loving sears.

I feel like it almost counts as a net negative against my no-poo poo A.S. in automotive technology.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Been there. Done that. gently caress that, not for me. I'm not a computer janitor anymore for a reason.

That reason is probably that the job was bad, not that an office environment inherently sucks the soul out of you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Locator posted:

There is a young woman at my gym who is the proof of this. She is very shapely (to say the least), not big at all (maybe 120#? I'm bad at weight guessing), and you would never guess if you saw her that she was a weigh lifter.

She does over 300# on the weird forward leaning squat machine, and does around 200# on the barbell. It's pretty funny seeing this girl out lift the massively ripped dude's.

My mother is 73 and she lifts Bro. Has for the last 30 years, she also puts the gym bros to shame. It's so hilarious to say the least that some slim old lady throws about 20Kg plates like toys.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I cancelled that interview anyways. I called this morning before I left and he said the pay rate was $10/hr. And that's with a 90 minute roundtrip I'm a car that gets 18MPG if I'm lucky. Thank god my dream job called me back today.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Noice. The P3 Pro is a good bird. On your yaw rolls if you slow down you will get a lot less rolling shutter/moire effect. I have had my Inspire 1 a little over a year and I absolutely love the machine. I just got a new iPad Mini 4 for my birthday so I am looking forward to hooking it up and flying with a bigger screen than my iPhone 6. Waiting for better weather as it sucks major balls at the moment.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Noice. The P3 Pro is a good bird. On your yaw rolls if you slow down you will get a lot less rolling shutter/moire effect. I have had my Inspire 1 a little over a year and I absolutely love the machine. I just got a new iPad Mini 4 for my birthday so I am looking forward to hooking it up and flying with a bigger screen than my iPhone 6. Waiting for better weather as it sucks major balls at the moment.

How does that land without smacking the poo poo out of the camera? Does it fold under or do you have to catch it?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

These loving jackasses sent out a form email about how our company "just missed" our annual target so we get a reduced bonus that's loving word for word ripped from the email sent last year.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Tusen Takk posted:

I wonder if the all the stores have the same music. I guess I'll find out when I move back to Dallas next month.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Biodome posted:

I wonder if the all the stores have the same music. I guess I'll find out when I move back to Dallas next month.

Nah when I open I chose an Apple Music Radio station and it stays for a good chunk of the day. I usually have the Alternative placelist going. it's nice because we dont have to worry about the music being censored so the occasional swear word isn't a big deal and makes the music choices better

obviously i can only blast lil jon and fetty wap before and after business hours :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Today is one of those days where you just look at poo poo and go what the gently caress. Found out I got paid and got my tax return today, so I woke up with an extra $1700 in my bank account. I came in today to find out that either our assistant manager is quiting or our ISS is getting fired for something. Then in the middle of it, my boss tells me I'm getting promoted to full time (not to either of these positions thankfully). So I'm bouning around all happy meanwhile everyone else is stressed out, pissed off and miserable. I feel a tad bit guilty. :ohdear:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Today is one of those days where you just look at poo poo and go what the gently caress. Found out I got paid and got my tax return today, so I woke up with an extra $1700 in my bank account. I came in today to find out that either our assistant manager is quiting or our ISS is getting fired for something. Then in the middle of it, my boss tells me I'm getting promoted to full time (not to either of these positions thankfully). So I'm bouning around all happy meanwhile everyone else is stressed out, pissed off and miserable. I feel a tad bit guilty. :ohdear:

Never feel guilty about success unless you stepped on someone's neck to get there.

It took me far too much of my life to figure out that there is nothing wrong with being more successful than your coworkers, as long as you aren't doing things to undermine them in order to succeed.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Darchangel posted:

How does that land without smacking the poo poo out of the camera? Does it fold under or do you have to catch it?

The arms go upwards to allow for 360* of camera movement without any obstruction. It has capability for dual operator too so one can fly the second controller moves the camera. Look up DJI Inspire 1 and you'll see it between arms down and arms up mode.

Elmnt80 posted:

So I'm bouning around all happy meanwhile everyone else is stressed out, pissed off and miserable. I feel a tad bit guilty. :ohdear:

Today is a win. Own it. Carry that momentum and make your life awesome all the time. Seriously it's contagious and when you can repeat the results and help others do the same is when you grasp that your potential is without limits. Good work!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My mother is 73 and she lifts Bro. Has for the last 30 years, she also puts the gym bros to shame. It's so hilarious to say the least that some slim old lady throws about 20Kg plates like toys.

Feel free to tell your mom that some random dude on the interwebs thinks she is awesome.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

88h88 posted:

Yeah, I understand the difference.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good news/bad (maybe) news time.

http://www.badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/binky-the-public-unveiling/

quote:

It is with much excitement that we can announce that the public unveiling of Project Binky will be at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed. From 23rd to 26th June, we’ll be at the famous Goodwood circuit in West Sussex.

As part of the Link Engine Management stand, we’ll be there showing off the car -whether it’s finished or not – drinking tea and generally hanging out watching some of the world’s greatest vehicles and drivers hooning up a hill.

The Link Engine Management stand is no.77 so if you’re going to this amazing event, please come along and say hi.

We simply cannot tell you how excited we are about this opportunity and we have to express our deep thanks to all at Link ECU for making this happen, especially to Philip Royds who came up with the idea in the first place.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Good news is that Binky's going to loving Goodwood! Bad (maybe) news is that we might not get another video until then :smithicide:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Texas goons, I may be going to Houston next month. Are there any restaurants to check out? I don't know where I'll be staying but I'll be working at the MD Anderson hospital.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1500quidporsche posted:

These loving jackasses sent out a form email about how our company "just missed" our annual target so we get a reduced bonus that's loving word for word ripped from the email sent last year.

That seems to be the mantra of companies this year. "We just missed our goals, so gently caress you" Businesses aren't that terribly off, I know my work place dropped from 5.5 billion in profit from 2014 to this years paltry 5.1 billion. But if you work here, its like we went broke.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I mean, I understand that despite we're number one or two in every segment we're in across the board were always going to "just miss" the "Key Performance Indicators" that determines our bonuses. I just wish it was slightly less cynical than pulling up the email from last year and changing 2014 to 2015, then sending it out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Locator posted:

Feel free to tell your mom that some random dude on the interwebs thinks she is awesome.

2 dudes on the interwebs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That seems to be the mantra of companies this year. "We just missed our goals, so gently caress you" Businesses aren't that terribly off, I know my work place dropped from 5.5 billion in profit from 2014 to this years paltry 5.1 billion. But if you work here, its like we went broke.

I guess we are an anomaly then, as the company announced that it was giving all eligible employees a one-time 401k allocation of a percentage of the employees salary at the end of the year. It's not a huge amount, but it beats a kick in the head.

My company has no bonus positions at all to the best of my knowledge, so nobody ever gets a bonus smaller than expected. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The bonus at my company was an all-expenses paid trip to NYC. I couldn't go, so I got nothing.

• Locked thread