Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

V for Vegas posted:

The second NATO mission in Black Sea where you have to clear out a city but can't destroy buildings is one of the worst missions ever.

This mission is exactly why I posted about clearing buildings.

My men can never spot the units in buildings so they always get ambushed.

But if I try to suppress every building I come across I'll both run out of ammo and expose my men.

Even after I "clear" buildings and move my armor up, some bastard survivor with an RPG will shoot a Bradley or Abrams in the rear end and blow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Yeah it's an enormous pain in the arse clearing urban environments in Black Sea. To be fair though, I have no idea how any army would ever be able to do that now. Every building has several thousand possible firing points, spread across however many dozen floors. I found the best method to be just ignore the buildings if possible, use infantry to clear any that really need clearing (accepting the crazy casualties) and use APC cannons to ruin anyone who pops their head up. Armoured casualties are a fact of life in CM:BS I fear.

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

V for Vegas posted:

The second NATO mission in Black Sea where you have to clear out a city but can't destroy buildings is one of the worst missions ever.

First world problems.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

When points only allow you to bring less than a company, but the Russians bring a whole loving Battalion. It was like the end of Saving Private Ryan mixed with the Alamo.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I want to play Red Thunder so badly but whenever I boot it now it just hangs on a black screen till I kill the process.

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed on the PC and Normandy and Black Sea still launch fine.

Anyone got any ideas? Or am I stuck redownloading the installer over and over again for the next 4 days as battlefronts ancient servers give me network errors at 95℅ completed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is Pike and Shot worth the $35? I am kind of annoyed at this stupid 13% off discount (Same as the winter sale) if only because off the odd number. I'm sorely tempted, but I'm also a really frugal bastard.

Someone convince me (or not) before the sale ends in 9 hours, tia.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I really like it, it's a fun beer-and-pretzels tactical game, and the strategic layer added in Campaigns is decent enough. Don't start as Parliament in the English Civil War because the Royalist horse is invincible but otherwise go hog wild.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Also don't buy any of that poo poo for iPad because it is no longer supported. Great game, though. They did a good job making it fun, but still capturing the feeling and lack of control of the era.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Abongination posted:

I want to play Red Thunder so badly but whenever I boot it now it just hangs on a black screen till I kill the process.

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed on the PC and Normandy and Black Sea still launch fine.

Anyone got any ideas? Or am I stuck redownloading the installer over and over again for the next 4 days as battlefronts ancient servers give me network errors at 95℅ completed.

You aren't using Intel Graphics are you?

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Alchenar posted:

You aren't using Intel Graphics are you?

I'm not him/her but I recently bought cmbn and cmfi and I can play italy almost flawlessly on integrated gfx but normandy gives me an absolute poo poo framerate. Kinda pissed because they're supposed to be the same engine; I thought that was the whole point. Not sure if its the bocage or what but the 2 games are leagues apart in performance for me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Normandy was made on 2.0 and FI was on like 2.1 or whatever after they introduced support for normal maps in the year of our lord 2012. Normandy runs kind of garbage because it's a Combat Mission title because its assets were created prior to more efficient rendering techniques being introduced to the series.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Abongination posted:

I had problems with one of the Combat Mission titles on my laptop--IIRC it would do the same or similar until I switched it over to the high power nvidia chipset.

Also, don't know if you've already found this thread or if it's relevant for you, but it could be helpful.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea combat mission games generally run like poo poo. I have a pretty strong computer but I can barely run Black Sea, I run Normandy a little bit better but still poo poo. Even on low graphics.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Italy always ran worst on my pc. I read the vineyards don't have a low res version and they take up a lot of ram. The biggest performance booster for me has always been to turn off shaders, so if you have not tried that you might want to.

Really though they never optimized it and it runs on a single core so unless you got a really good cpu and at least a mid tier nvidia card you are gonna stand a real chance of getting bad framerates.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

INinja132 posted:

Yeah it's an enormous pain in the arse clearing urban environments in Black Sea. To be fair though, I have no idea how any army would ever be able to do that now. Every building has several thousand possible firing points, spread across however many dozen floors. I found the best method to be just ignore the buildings if possible, use infantry to clear any that really need clearing (accepting the crazy casualties) and use APC cannons to ruin anyone who pops their head up. Armoured casualties are a fact of life in CM:BS I fear.

In Fallujah the USMC did this job by employing weaponized white phosphorous (shh) and it was still costly. And in the case of Fallijah we are talking about going against an asymmetric opponent. Quite a bit different than fighting professional soldiers with universal access to sophisticated training and battlefield technology.

The other common way to clear building, I hear anyway, is (if the building itself is of no value or you aren't at risk of killing civilians) by complete obliteration from the air, direct fire, or from indirect artillery fire.

I'm sure though there are actually military goons around here somewhere with experience in clearing structures in modern conflicts. Whether or not they are also grognards and post here, is another question.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bring back flamethrowers.

Werent there various Novel Explosive/Thermobaric rounds developed post-Fallujah to help? My biggest issue in Combat Mission games was making sure the building I was taking wasnt exposed on nearly all sides by guys who would fire from buildings across the way with RPG's/RPO'. loving building abstraction can be a bitch :(

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Abongination posted:

Can't speak to the first part, but I definitely feel you here. It takes me a week to download every CM game because every time I leave it to download overnight I come back to some network error that killed it at like 70%. When I built my new PC I just gave up on downloading from their site and transferred everything from my laptop piecemeal on a tiny USB stick.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Abongination posted:

I just used getright in tyool 2016 to download it lmao

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Why do you people continue to give Battlefront money?! Wtf is wrong with you?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a grogs gotta do what a grogs gotta do.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Happy Hedonist posted:

Because I can't steal their games more easily.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The games have worked well on my pc for years and I've never had a single problem with their download service. The game itself chugged sometimes before I upgraded but it is no where near as bad as aegod or scourge of war or even hearts of iron 3.

As well I like the gameplay, the community is large and great, and at least graphical mods are plentiful and easy to do.

I don't see why any one would have an extreme reaction to them.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Happy Hedonist posted:

It's an abusive relationship but you just can't stop. I'm so stoked for the next opportunity to pay them $60-$80 for essentially the same game.

Cheers for the suggestions folks.

LordPants posted:

I just used getright in tyool 2016 to download it lmao

I think I might just have to buck up and get it from battlefront, and also install a download manager for the first time since I had a 56k modem.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 13, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They are often as bad as Scourge of War. I was playing one of Black Sea's smaller scenarios (the one where you're an American platoon assaulting a tiny AA fortification along a river) and I was constantly getting a framerate in the teens. You should know how well any map with a decent number of buildings runs.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ITT people seriously underestimating how hard it is to optimize rendering things.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's not that I don't get how hard optimization is. I understand it. But the fact that they refuse to put ANY effort into it and constantly act as though it's not a large factor in why the genre's so niche and outright garbage is fairly frustrating. You have the advantage of your team being smart computer people instead of history nuts trying to make a game they're incapable of making.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
People keep giving Battlefront money because Combat Mission is (sadly?) the best game out there in its category.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

abelian posted:

People keep giving Battlefront money because Combat Mission is (sadly?) the best game out there in its category.

Basically this.

If there was any good competition out there Battlefront would have to re-examine how they conduct business

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't know why someone doesn't whip up a copy in unity...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

ITT people seriously underestimating how hard it is to optimize rendering things.

Like you would know mr "all my game is is a series of numbers and squares and circles on map of the world" - The Battlefront Devs.

;)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

I don't know why someone doesn't whip up a copy in unity...

I'm an ideas and books guy. Who wants to start a company?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Let's ALL start a company.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Alikchi posted:

Let's ALL start a company.

Isn't this essentially how the Admiral's Edition of WitP got made?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We need
  • Hyper realistic bullet physics that brings modern computers to a crawl
  • A rendering engine designed in the 1990s that is unaware of video cards
  • Absurd controls
  • An unintuitive UI
  • Store page that scares people
  • NEVER get on steam

what am I missing?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

We need
  • Hyper realistic bullet physics that brings modern computers to a crawl
  • A rendering engine designed in the 1990s that is unaware of video cards
  • Absurd controls
  • An unintuitive UI
  • Store page that scares people
  • NEVER get on steam

what am I missing?

-Split the game in as many expansions/modules as possible and price them aggresively
-Sell engine upgrades

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've honestly thought about trying to teach myself Unity/UE4 not for this express purpose but it'd be an interesting exercise. According to the not-Myth Deadhold developers Unity is INFINITELY better for strategy. UE4 is a loving garbage engine out of the box for anything but shooters apparently.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've dabbled with teaching myself how to code and honestly, I don't think making an absolutely barebones hex-and-counter game would be incredibly hard at all. The AI would strike me as probably the hardest part of it.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 13, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really like the idea of team based asymmetric games. Kinda like a WW2 AI War.

So AI war with Tanks.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Wtf is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Drone posted:

I've dabbled with teaching myself how to code and honestly, I don't think making an absolutely barebones hex-and-counter game would be incredibly hard at all. The AI would strike me as probably the hardest part of it.

Just make it multiplayer, sell it, promise AI support in the future and then... huh what?