Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHT0mAajO-M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

b) After the GE the incoming POTUS dies before inauguration. What happens?

Bear with me, this may not be 100% accurate:

Headline: VP candidate on winning ticket PROBABLY takes his/her place, OR Congress chooses a president.

20th amendment says VP takes president elect's spot if he dies before being sworn in.

However, there is some gray area concerning when, technically, the winner of the popular vote on election day actually becomes "president elect" - once the electoral college has convened, or perhaps not until congress in a joint session officially counts the votes of the electoral college?

If the person dies AFTER the electoral college votes but BEFORE congress counts the votes, congress might decide whether to count votes for that person. If they do, then succession kicks in an VP candidate takes the presidency. If congress does NOT count the votes, then obviously the loser of the election doesn't have a majority of 270 EVs, so then congress chooses the president in accordance with the 12th amendment. Congress has only dealth with a deceased loser in the past and chose not to count EVs for Horace Greeley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Greeley

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe just go with Joementum my history degree is European, not American.

I know more about 18th-20th century Russia/USSR and early-mid 20th century Germany than I do about U.S. hsitory.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

Also, as we found out in 2000, the Supreme Court can just decide to make poo poo up if they want, so that could happen too.

Finally, something Trump can relate to in Washington.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Vile posted:

Trump said in an interview yesterday, I think it was with Hannity, the he wants to pick someone "very political" to be his Vp. He admits he doesn't really understand how the government works so he wants someone like a Biden (seasoned vet in the politics game) to be his Vp.

"I want somebody, you know, who's been in the Senate for a thousand years."

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Ah yes Horace Greeley. On his tombstone are inscribed the words "Life's a bitch and then you die, but first you lose the presidency."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eschers Basement posted:

a) Chaos reigns.

No, honestly, it depends on how close to the actual election it occurs. Technically, people aren't voting for a candidate, they're voting for a slate of electors who promise to go off to the Electoral College and vote for that candidate; but those promises aren't legally binding and if the candidate died (or was arrested or fled the country or whatever), chances are the VP candidate would take over the top position and the electors would vote for them instead. The mechanics of how the VP would take over the position are completely unclear, though, as it's never happened before, and might be as simple as the VP insisting he's in charge and various party luminaries agreeing or might be as convoluted as holding an emergency mini-convention to nominate a new candidate.

Didn't Horace Greenly die before the Electoral College met but after the votes were cast (where it showed he wasn't going to win anyway) for the 1872 election? There, his votes were distributed among the other Presidential candidates, strangely enough.

EDIT: I barely remember reading a fiction book dramatizing what would happen in my college political sci class, it was written by a CNN talking head, but I remember it being enjoyable. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lmao

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
If Trump actually wins the election but then dies before assuming office I am legit going to be super loving pissed off.

Jesus, that's exactly the kind of gut-punch crap that happens on this gay earth.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

This made me cackle. Holy poo poo I love seeing the GOP try to deal with the loving monster they've created

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Boosted_C5 posted:

If Trump actually wins the election but then dies before assuming office I am legit going to be super loving pissed off.

Jesus, that's exactly the kind of gut-punch crap that happens on this gay earth.

Don't worry, terrible people always live longer than anybody expects, he'll make it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Boosted_C5 posted:

I mean there's a lot of factors that would make it likely beyond simple cosmic spite against you and your ilk.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thanks for the informative replies. :) Sounds complicated....

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Shageletic posted:

Didn't Horace Greenly die before the Electoral College met but after the votes were cast (where it showed he wasn't going to win anyway) for the 1872 election? There, his votes were distributed among the other Presidential candidates, strangely enough.

EDIT: I barely remember reading a fiction book dramatizing what would happen in my college political sci class, it was written by a CNN talking head, but I remember it being enjoyable. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sure, but he lost in a big way, so no one actually cared. The electors were allowed to vote as they wished, and as Boosted said, 3 still voted for Greeley, because they were from Georgia and thought a dead man would still be a better president than Ulysses S. Grant. Congress accepted the votes for the other Democrats, but threw out the votes for Greeley.

Edit: to be clear - Greeley's electors were allowed to vote as they wished; 13 voted for Greeley's VP candidate, 42 voted for Greeley's biggest rival at the convention, and 3 said gently caress it and still voted for dead Greeley.

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 11, 2016

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Especially if you pick a VP whose name rhymes with "News"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Vile posted:

Trump said in an interview yesterday, I think it was with Hannity, the he wants to pick someone "very political" to be his Vp. He admits he doesn't really understand how the government works so he wants someone like a Biden (seasoned vet in the politics game) to be his Vp.

Sounds like Ted Cruz! It would be very Trump to offer Cruz VP after defeating him for the nom because he needs an establishment insider. The rest of Cruz would melt from shame, assuming he has any capacity to feel it.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

OAquinas posted:

idk, I'd be pretty cool with President Terry Crews

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
1872 was a weird loving election. It's overshadowed by 1860 and 1876, but it was a wild ride.

Sometimes, like 1872, the wildest elections end in anticlimactic blowouts. See also: 1924, 1972.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's funny because... actually it's not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLuk691tbo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lol

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Eschers Basement posted:

Sure, but he lost in a big way, so no one actually cared. The electors were allowed to vote as they wished, and as Boosted said, 3 still voted for Greeley, because they were from Georgia and thought a dead man would still be a better president than Ulysses S. Grant. Congress accepted the votes for the other Democrats, but threw out the votes for Greeley.

gently caress those guys, grant was awesome

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

In which Ted Cruz compares conservatism to a harmful addiction.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Eschers Basement posted:

Georgia has a long and proud history of supporting the worst possible candidate. Hello, George Wallace!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eschers Basement posted:

Edit: to be clear - Greeley's electors were allowed to vote as they wished; 13 voted for Greeley's VP candidate, 42 voted for Greeley's biggest rival at the convention, and 3 said gently caress it and still voted for dead Greeley.

Interesting!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Are you implying Trump's VP will be Newsmax Prime?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

This made me cackle. Holy poo poo I love seeing the GOP try to deal with the loving monster they've created

I'd like a ten hour loop of the last second "eh-ah-eh"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

In which Ted Cruz compares conservatism to a harmful addiction.

I like how they also imply, correctly, that Cruz does not have a pretty face.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Newsmax Prime is an imperfect clone of John Kasich, like Solid Snake was of Big Boss.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vile posted:

He chooses Biden. then he becomes president, and then immediately quits, allowing biden to take the lead. trump gets to have "been president" but take no responsibility, biden reigns. I like it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

God bless this plucky robot.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hahaha, throw it on the pile with the rest of the broken robots.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

On SC: I wonder whether Trump will do well in the state that was anti-establishment enough to attempt secession, where Republican voters are (statistically) low-income, uneducated and racist, and where there's a very high number of veterans.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
E: Nevermind

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It is so difficult to keep up with this thread. So pre Iowa, it looked like if Trump took Iowa, then he'd romp it home. THen when Rubio came third, it looked like if Rubio did OK in NH then he'd be able to win it.

Now that neither happened, what are we looking at? If Cruz takes the next primary (SC?) then he should take it? Or Trump if he takes it? What pathways do these candidates have? I'm assuming people like Gilmore, Bush, Carson have no real chance?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Joementum posted:

I have this sense that Cruz' ad department is basically him telling his really bad jokes and saying "now make that an ad." Its just remarkable how many of his adds display the same totally unfunny sense of humor that Ted seems so proud of.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I hope at the debate on February 25th CNN goes "gently caress it" and lets Gilmore on stage.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

im not going to listen to talk radio, what are right-wing podcasts and stuff that are not completely unbearable? andy levy is funny and there's a guy from national review on Left, right & Center, but that's all i know. there must be more republicans that are acceptable for european liberals

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Jesus Christ, get the man some help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

teacup posted:

It is so difficult to keep up with this thread. So pre Iowa, it looked like if Trump took Iowa, then he'd romp it home. THen when Rubio came third, it looked like if Rubio did OK in NH then he'd be able to win it.

Now that neither happened, what are we looking at? If Cruz takes the next primary (SC?) then he should take it? Or Trump if he takes it? What pathways do these candidates have? I'm assuming people like Gilmore, Bush, Carson have no real chance?

The race is closer than it looked directly before or after Iowa, with Trump ahead. Rubio is second, Jeb still has a small chance, and pundits/markets say Cruz has more of a chance than Jeb but I personally think Cruz's chance is the worst of anybody's.

Kasich, like Bernie, did good mainly because it was in one of the states most favorable to him so no one's taking him particularly serious.

• Locked thread