Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's nothing to do with Korean culture, that's your boss being a pants-on-head retarded hellfucker idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

He puts it all back and comes to my office. He wants memory replaced where the alert said the halt came from. I let him know I can order the memory but that it might not even be the main issue. I let him know that if something is broken that its under warranty and that the diag will give me a better idea what is wrong. Nope, just order the memory.

Korean culture is just weird sometimes. He use to work with servers 15 years ago and because he is my elder, his way is the best way. Whatever, it isn't my money.

Just download more ram.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Che Delilas posted:

You're rationalizing, and you're making it worse for everyone who works in your department because your boss can hold you up as an example. Managerial pressure to overwork yourself to death is bad enough without adding peer pressure.

hahaha I'm not making it worse, I generally don't work these hours (rationalization blah blah blah), our loving technical architect works 80hours or more a week, he's the one that caused this and that's not going to stop.

I WILL leave this job, but it's not going to be in the next week or month.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In the US it's illegal to make you work over 40 hours a week without comp time or overtime. Doesn't matter if you're salaried or not, or what the "policy" may be.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MF_James posted:

this is a sore subject, I was just moved to salary (with a 10k raise). And "policy" aka un-official not documented anywhere policy is that you work 8 hours every day regardless of whether you worked 20 the day before because gently caress you. The only reaosn I worked as long as I did was because I was learning a good bit by making all those changes. The kind of poo poo that will definitely further my career, otherwise i would have clocked my 8 and walked right out the loving door.

Also, at some point I'm going to have a chat with my manager an inform him of how dumb the policy is, and that if we (the sys admins) actulaly just put 8 hours a day in the loving sky would fall because we're understaffed and overworked and his awful management style is kiling morale. Obviously put nicely and possibly without insulting his management ability, but yeah ramble ramble the helpdesk called me 3 hours after I went to bed because of :dumbissues: now I'm awake and I hate the world.

Don't let someone else profit off work you aren't getting paid for. Despite all the wrong ways your manager is going about things you are just as much at fault for letting it happen to you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

In the US it's illegal to make you work over 40 hours a week without comp time or overtime***. Doesn't matter if you're salaried or not, or what the "policy" may be.

*** Unless you agree to it, even passively. Disagreeing may not get you fired for absence, but may get you fired for some other bullshit reason the company can come up with like "lack of teamwork" or "failure to meet project deadlines" or "Incompatible with Office Environment". At-will employment is great, everybody!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Hey guys, it's time I stopped lurking this thread.

I've been working in this industry for all of four months now and I'm trying to step up or at least replace my current job. Right now I'm the sole IT technician at a small San Diego startup that is having some major growing pains (just cut 2/3 of staff and reduced my hours) but looks better on my resume than nothing at all I guess. I've done lots of different stuff including help desk, Windows system administration, pulling all new network cable for a call center, and maintaining a weird virtualization cluster made up of Mac Pros. Lots of different stuff but I don't feel like I've had enough opportunity to learn bigger industry standard tech.

So my problem is I really don't know where to look, and I'm likewise not sure where this kind of experience can take me. Help desk? Sysadmin? Cable monkey? Aside from the work experience I have a general A.A. from the local community college and an A.S. in information systems tech from a highly rated local tech school, and a couple extra certs (A+, and another from the same tech school).

So... Any tips? Like, what job search boards are a good plan. I'm interested in contract work as well. I've already registered with a local staffing agency but I haven't heard much back from them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

*** Unless you agree to it, even passively. Disagreeing may not get you fired for absence, but may get you fired for some other bullshit reason the company can come up with like "lack of teamwork" or "failure to meet project deadlines" or "Incompatible with Office Environment". At-will employment is great, everybody!

True. But from his post it sounds like they're already short-staffed, so it's not like they're looking for people to fire.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

psydude posted:

In the US it's illegal to make you work over 40 hours a week without comp time or overtime. Doesn't matter if you're salaried or not, or what the "policy" may be.

Salaried exempt?

That being said, next time you do this make it clear in no uncertain terms you are taking off the next N hours and turn your phone off. Or forward it to whomever is oncall.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

Hey guys, it's time I stopped lurking this thread.

I've been working in this industry for all of four months now and I'm trying to step up or at least replace my current job. Right now I'm the sole IT technician at a small San Diego startup that is having some major growing pains (just cut 2/3 of staff and reduced my hours) but looks better on my resume than nothing at all I guess. I've done lots of different stuff including help desk, Windows system administration, pulling all new network cable for a call center, and maintaining a weird virtualization cluster made up of Mac Pros. Lots of different stuff but I don't feel like I've had enough opportunity to learn bigger industry standard tech.

So my problem is I really don't know where to look, and I'm likewise not sure where this kind of experience can take me. Help desk? Sysadmin? Cable monkey? Aside from the work experience I have a general A.A. from the local community college and an A.S. in information systems tech from a highly rated local tech school, and a couple extra certs (A+, and another from the same tech school).

So... Any tips? Like, what job search boards are a good plan. I'm interested in contract work as well. I've already registered with a local staffing agency but I haven't heard much back from them.

You could probably make the jump into a jr system admin\help desk role pretty easily. I would cast your net far and wide. LinkedIn, Dice, Indeed, hell even a post on your facebook mentioning you are looking for any opportunities could prove fruitful. There are an absolute poo poo ton of staffing agencies so I would apply to any and all that you find. Robert Half is frowned upon here but you may have some success there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

Completely, totally false. Many categories of employees in the United States are exempt from FLSA provisions on minimum wage, overtime pay, or both. Most non-entry-level IT workers fall under the professional exemption covered here:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17d_professional.pdf

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

psydude posted:

Haha, not if you are salaried.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And to wrap up a week of migrating DNS providers I just submitted the change I will get yelled at the loudest for loving up. :v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Dear diary,

Today a service account was getting its password changed. I spent an hour yesterday getting my portion of the change approved and today was the big day.

I got logged into all the servers, had a the tasks arranged for a quick change and dialed in for a quick job.

Four hours later, it turns out that the task was actually to change the password to be the same as it already is, which from a philosophical point of view kinda stretches the definition of change.

Hooray for a productive day.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Docjowles posted:

The T definitely has issues but yeah it's only completely awful compared to NYC which is god tier mass transit. As he said, at least it exists. Let's talk about subway / rail options in Denver, or the entire southern US, or Southern California. It will be a short chat

There are 8 different Subway Lines in Los Angeles, and they run every 20 minutes, (10 during rush hour,) and I think are closed between 2am and 4am for maintenance.

SoCal Metro is the best transit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One train every ten minutes :gonk:

That doesn't seem like a lot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The nice thing about the Skytrain here being fully automated is that trains in rush hour are every 90 seconds.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
So this is probably a silly question but how do you apply for a job and get an office? That seems like such a petty declaration, but I work from home in my perfectly laid out home office where everything is exactly how I want it. I don't need to interview for a new job if they're going to show me to my cubicle, that is a non starter. But how do you even bring it up? "Hi I'd be happy to work for you if there's an office involved" - I've got no idea.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

So this is probably a silly question but how do you apply for a job and get an office? That seems like such a petty declaration, but I work from home in my perfectly laid out home office where everything is exactly how I want it. I don't need to interview for a new job if they're going to show me to my cubicle, that is a non starter. But how do you even bring it up? "Hi I'd be happy to work for you if there's an office involved" - I've got no idea.

I talked about it at my in person interview. I was initially going to be put into a cubical but I talked about it being a downgrade for me when they were in the discussion of what it would take to get me to make the move. Generally office space is pretty limited depending on the company but I was fortunate to be moving in a department with an open office. I assume it would be hard to work into a phone conversation and not sound like a prima donna.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'd count on a cubicle or "open office" type thing for vast majority of positions. The only place I'd worked where everyone was guaranteed an office regardless of tenure was the government.

And yeah, wait until a face to face interview to bring that up.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I would think to bring it up as late as possible, it's the last reason someone would pass on a non-entry level employee - if an office is an option.

But it seems like a silly requirement that would be unnecessarily career limiting. I've worked in a bad job where most people had private offices and other good ones that didn't really use them outside of execs and conference rooms, and definitely would not have traded. It can be something to maneuver for when you're talking about benefits, but would you really pass on a good opportunity because you might have to be closer to other people?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Haha, not if you are salaried.

Just because you're salaried doesn't mean you're exempt. And even then, just because an employer tells you you're exempt doesn't actually mean you're exempt.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I haven't been to the office in 4 or 5 days?

Commuting is a huge waste of time and the workplace incredibly distracting with "Hey Tab8715, look at this funny video of on YouTube!" moments.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What kind of jobs are you applying for? If they are still technical without management, then lol.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

Commuting is a huge waste of time and the workplace incredibly distracting with "Hey Tab8715, look at this funny video of on YouTube!" moments.

Wait until / if you have kids. The office is an oasis of peace and calm, even with annoying cat videos from 2004. There is absolutely no way I could work from home and get anything done, even a phone call would be hell.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Kids destroyed my at-home productivity.

And my carpet.

And my walls.

I push for more flexible work from home options all the time but I could never do it myself right now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Having my own personal office rules

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I could happily work from home a couple days a week, but I lack the self discipline to do it as a permanent thing - I'd just end up working from bed by day 4 and showering somewhere around lunchtime.

I'm not hugely bothered about having private office space at work, but I do appreciate well designed work environments. Currently I'm sat about 5m away from our support guys who spend all day on the phone, and one of them loves to loudly giggle about stuff and just talks far too much in general. My headphone investment is certainly paying off.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Oh dude, working from home is great. I only go to the office to collaborate with coworkers, get free food/beer, or to let everyone know I'm still alive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

What kind of jobs are you applying for? If they are still technical without management, then lol.

I've had offices before with big solid doors and locks and everything. I work from home most of the time now, so I just grab either a temp office or an open spot in my department when I'm in the building.

Never been part of management. I'm at crossroads now for that, but not really interested in supervising people from a dealing with budgets, raises, bonuses, discipline and all that other happy horse-poo poo.

psydude posted:

Oh dude, working from home is great. I only go to the office to collaborate with coworkers, get free food/beer, or to let everyone know I'm still alive.

Same.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Last place I worked had an open office format.

I went down to my colleague's floor since she offered me some leftover birthday cake and that's also where the salespeople sit.

They ... have a gong and use it whenever someone closes :downsgun:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

air- posted:

Last place I worked had an open office format.

I went down to my colleague's floor since she offered me some leftover birthday cake and that's also where the salespeople sit.

Hahaha, those loving gongs.

Our operations floor is seperated from sales mostly by two short hallways, so inevitably, we'll hear that loving thing go off once or twice a week. It's worse when they have partners re-sign and then upsell them because that's two more gong hits! "Oh hey? Did you work on this Steve? Steve did you help close!? Come here you sonuvabitch ring the gong."

I hate sales.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I really hate hearing those gongs on the other end when trying to deal with a sales rep.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Completely, totally false. Many categories of employees in the United States are exempt from FLSA provisions on minimum wage, overtime pay, or both. Most non-entry-level IT workers fall under the professional exemption covered here:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17d_professional.pdf

Most IT workers do not meet all of the requirements for the professional exemption. The computer worker exemption or the highly compensated employee exemption is more common. You also have to consider state or other local laws. Misclassification between salary and salary exempt is common. Even if your employer classifies you as an exempt employee you may still be eligible for overtime pay under federal and local law. Tons of well known reputable companies have been sued for not paying overtime. If you are not sure if you should be getting paid for the time you work, get a free consultation from a local lawyer.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I've had offices before with big solid doors and locks and everything. I work from home most of the time now, so I just grab either a temp office or an open spot in my department when I'm in the building.
I'm not saying that IT staff shouldn't have offices, I'm just saying that trying to ask for one in the interview stage is unlikely to go well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As a programmer and the project manager of a huge multi million dollar project that could last a year or more, I really really REALLY wish I had an office. I need to make calls, setup meetings with people in other time zones, manage 2 other engineers, and program. About 5 times a day I am interrupted by another guy walking up to me behind my back and tapping me on the shoulder.

Its really hard for me to work and program when there is so much going on around me, but we simply don't have any offices left. :smith: I think I am going to request working from home a few days a week.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Lots of great replies to my question about wanting an office, but I'll quote one of the good replies and address something specific

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But it seems like a silly requirement that would be unnecessarily career limiting. ... would you really pass on a good opportunity because you might have to be closer to other people?
My thing is this - I can not overstate how much I like working at home. Being at the office has the social component, but working from home means I can do whatever I want at any time. And I mean ANYTHING. This probably disqualifies me from working with any of you in a position to hire me but working from home I'll take a nap, sleep in, shower between meetings, play Nintendo on a conference call, listen to music, watch movies, and take care of the kid. All while getting the highest marks on every performance review I've ever had. It's madness how much I get away with. Not sure I want to give that up to go sit in a cubicle, even if I do feel like I might have reached my ceiling at this job.

It's a major struggle for me. Career vs fun, more money vs current money, socializing vs convenience.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If you aren't happy with the money you are getting now, it might be a trade off for the extreme amount of freedom you enjoy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like you have a pretty decent gig at the moment to be honest.

Do the maths on commuting costs, the time it would take you do get that done, figure out what that time's worth to you, and then decide how much of a raise you'd need to take to lose the working arrangement you currently have. Chances are the extra money might only break even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

air- posted:

At my first job IT sat right next to sales, who had a ship bell they rang when someone closed.

Eventually me and my coworker stayed late one day and after all the sales people went home we filled the bell with expanding foam.