Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
In XCOM2, mugshots of your alien-killing, collaborator-fragging badasses show up in wanted posters :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

In XCOM2, mugshots of your alien-killing, collaborator-fragging badasses show up in wanted posters :clint:

XCOM 2 has a lot of great things, but so far my favourite is probably the sword that the Ranger class gets. They managed to get the animation for it just right, it's ridiculously satisfying to use. Every time I meet a new type of alien I make sure to properly greet them on earth by going medieval on their rear end. :getin:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have you done that to the muton yet

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Deadly Premonition's flamethrower is obtainable only via a long, collectathon sidequest, and it's utterly worthless - except against one particular enemy type, the wall crawlers, which are a royal pain in the butt if you don't have it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Darkest Dungeon has a few options to let you adjust specific parts of its difficulty in the menu. You can remove the RNG from retreating, lower enemy crit damage somewhat, remove corpses (a dumb and bad choice) and a couple other things.

I removed the random check for retreating - I think the mechanic does a great job of being punishing without needing to be yet another diceroll, and I wish more games would let you remove one particular thing without having to mod files directly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I met him too!

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I really enjoy the corpse mechanic to Darkest Dungeon. Keeps some of my party relevant at times, where waaay long ago, some of my people would become useless once the rear enemies stepped forward to take the place of their fallen friends.

So happy that game is finally "officially" out. It's one of those games I've finally gone back to after so much time away from it.

You get a class that uses an attack dog! :3:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
If you haven't already, make sure to buy and use his self-heal. It is the best heal. Dogman is a really good and versatile class, and also the most adorable.

I have no idea why anyone would want to play without corpses, unless you really want to run two lepers mashing the front line forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

flatluigi posted:

Does it really? That's weird.

It also adds in a transmog armor option that is Shadow of the Colossus themed.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
You can also stumble across a Kratos champion mob in the Ruins of Sescheron.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gitro posted:

Darkest Dungeon has a few options to let you adjust specific parts of its difficulty in the menu. You can remove the RNG from retreating, lower enemy crit damage somewhat, remove corpses (a dumb and bad choice) and a couple other things.

I removed the random check for retreating - I think the mechanic does a great job of being punishing without needing to be yet another diceroll, and I wish more games would let you remove one particular thing without having to mod files directly.

What specifically can you adjust? This is starting to sound Don't Starve-ish. Which is great because I could never play that game if I couldn't make the game easier.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

In case anyone else was confused , the Last of us Map is Playstation only.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I haven't played a Need for Speed game in roughly a decade, so I'm very thankful that my friend just informed me that the 2012 NFS: Most Wanted has some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen in it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HMS Boromir posted:

I haven't played a Need for Speed game in roughly a decade, so I'm very thankful that my friend just informed me that the 2012 NFS: Most Wanted has some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen in it.

It's also free on EA Origin right now.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Digirat posted:

Imagine if you had to go through the rest of your life walking on slopes because you knew all that queued falling damage would hit you the moment you stepped on flat ground again.

Just wear high heels idiot

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

In Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!, there is a DLC where you go inside of the game's annoying robot mascot, Claptrap. Once inside, you find that he's riddled with various malware, adware, bloatware, and pretty much any sort of awful thing that antivirus programs would ordinarily kill off. My absolute favorite being the adware.

They are little drones that fly at you and shoot a non-damaging beam at you. All it does is make holograms of in-universe advertisements for the in-game gun manufacturers.

Then there are the pop-up ads. Literal pop-up ads that slide up from inside the floor and prevent you from walking forward. You can shoot the X in the corner to get rid of it, jump over it, or in some cases, interact with it to spend money and get what it's advertising. The stuff you get from it is, of course, overpriced and lovely.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Mario and Luigi Paper Jam lets you hold down R to speed up cutscenes. It's gonna be so hard for me to go back to games that don't let you do that.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

What specifically can you adjust? This is starting to sound Don't Starve-ish. Which is great because I could never play that game if I couldn't make the game easier.

Without being able to load the game and check: you can turn off penalties for dragging out combats, allowing you to potentially heal to full health/stress in any fight. You can turn off corpses, which help the enemy group maintain formation, but there's plenty of ways to deal with them already. You can tone down enemy crit damage, don't know how much, you can remove the rng from retreats, though afaik you still won't be able to run on the first round, and finally you can remove the quest-length debuffs from people hitting death's door.

It's not super modular, but it's more than most games and if it's not enough the files are pretty readable if you want to try modding. I think most commonly people expand roster size and the amount of new heroes that show up each week.

E: for clarity, these are all binary on/off choices, the options don't have sliders for stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dad Jokes posted:

Mario and Luigi Paper Jam lets you hold down R to speed up cutscenes. It's gonna be so hard for me to go back to games that don't let you do that.

Ah, the only bane of emulators. Once you remember that button, you have to stop yourself from using it all the time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ryu Hayabusa just showed up in my Warriors Orochi game and he's so grotesquely OP that I love it. :allears:

He starts rear end deep in enemy territory and just cuts his way through to you making the most able A.I unit in the games history.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Ryu Hayabusa just showed up in my Warriors Orochi game and he's so grotesquely OP that I love it. :allears:

He starts rear end deep in enemy territory and just cuts his way through to you making the most able A.I unit in the games history.

I saw some info about the game and I misstook him for the Ryu from Street Fighter at first. I'm kinda sad I wasn't right about it.

Dad Jokes posted:

God, finally.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MisterBibs posted:

Ah, the only bane of emulators. Once you remember that button, you have to stop yourself from using it all the time.

This became the most common cause of my deaths in the FFV Four Job Fiesta last year; I'd fast-forward for just a little bit too long, meaning I couldn't react to the first attack of the fight.

Paper Jam's, fortunately, is only for the cutscenes.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Perestroika posted:

XCOM 2 has a lot of great things, but so far my favourite is probably the sword that the Ranger class gets. They managed to get the animation for it just right, it's ridiculously satisfying to use. Every time I meet a new type of alien I make sure to properly greet them on earth by going medieval on their rear end. :getin:

My first soldier (Jane) promoted in the game was a Ranger who kicked indescribable melee rear end, my wife was watching Mad Max at the time so I nicknamed Jane 'Furiosa' blackened her face, shaved her head, and never looked back. Now she's the most decorated soldier currently serving and has never gotten reduced will.

On the other hand my first recruit ever was literally named Charlie Brown. He was nearly killed, partially by friendly fire, in his first mission and immediately became depressed.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
double post :argh:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

HMS Boromir posted:

Oh god, the wheel of police cars is amazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XniAosUftbQ

The mission pack dlc has another really drat good one.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

Why couldn't the Aaron Paul movie have been more like this.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HMS Boromir posted:

Wait, those are actually in the game stock? :stonk:

I played a lot back in 2012 but never saw them.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

skooma512 posted:

Wait, those are actually in the game stock? :stonk:

I played a lot back in 2012 but never saw them.

Yeah it's for every time you race in a certain event. It was one of my favorite parts of the game. You would be playing this realistic car game and than bam a video out of the blue, and then back to car game lol.

HMS Boromir posted the police event, this is for the rivals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vkB85cWobs

Nude has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Feb 8, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If we're discussing bonkers cutscenes in otherwise grounded games then Amped 3 definitely deserves a mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B6cf8UfheM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9WKg6yhebU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqz7JGs_rzg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For those that don't know, amped 3 is a snowboarding game

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Amped 3 is one of the most disjointed narratives I've ever encountered. It's like they actually tried to make the story pointless. fun stuff.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Grow Home is adorable. You play a little robot who's gathering energy for this gigantic flower. When you finally get up to your spaceship, the ship(called M.O.M.) has a bunch of pictures of you adorned around the inside:

and some of what looks like early beta versions of B.U.D.(the robot guy you play as)

:3:

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Feb 8, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

I saw some info about the game and I misstook him for the Ryu from Street Fighter at first. I'm kinda sad I wasn't right about it.

God, finally.

The game also is great about tutorials: they say "Hey, do you want to know more about this feature?" and you can just say "No", at which point the game responds "Okay, well if you need more info just check the guide book!" and then never bothers you about it again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

HMS Boromir posted:

CJacobs posted:

These are all loving brilliant.

Sleeveless posted:

Why couldn't the Aaron Paul movie have been more like this.

I watched that movie over a 20 hour flight and now I'm retroactively disappointed.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So now that Viscera Cleanup Detail is officially released, they've brought out another DLC, this time based around horror movies in a delightfully corny level called House of Horror. Appropriately, you can find props from famous horror films all around the level, like Michael Myers' mask and knife, Ash's boomstick, Freddy's glove etc. If you get all these items and put them in your box to steal them take them back to your office, you get achievements. I haven't finished the level completely so I don't know if they actually have any effect in your office, but we'll see!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Morpheus posted:

The game also is great about tutorials: they say "Hey, do you want to know more about this feature?" and you can just say "No", at which point the game responds "Okay, well if you need more info just check the guide book!" and then never bothers you about it again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HMS Boromir posted:

The game is free on Origin right now. This just got me to go and dust off my old EA account to download it.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
This is the stupidest little thing, but it's a feature I wish were in every RPG I play –

In Pillars of Eternity each savegame, including autosaves, is grouped by character so if you start over you don't risk overwriting old saves. That was a nice change of pace when wanting to play through the game as different classes or with alternate story choices, without having to hunt down and remember which save was which or for what character.

The game has a number of little things like that many of which were already talked about in this thread, but this one was a very pleasant surprise for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That was in the first Mass Effect, and while most of the things that weren't explained in game were explained in the manual (like how the Mako has two guns), I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

So when I started a second playthrough and then later went back to start a new-game plus and couldn't find my old saves, it scared the crap out of me before I figured out what the on-screen description of what the y-button does.