Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Bellamy wasn't around for the grounder lovefest in Season 2. He was with the Skaikru-Grounder Coalition for like one day before Clarke sent him off on his spy mission (where he was subsequently betrayed by his Grounder Bro, though Lincoln had more reason than most). The next he heard of the Great Grounder Alliance, they hosed off and left them to die, and a genocide happened. Not saying he's particularly justified in his current course of action, just pointing out that literally every single time Bellamy Blake has trusted a Grounder, it has ended badly for him. And basically everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because we're supposed to accept that because of a 3 month off-screen unexplained relationship with a redshrit girlfriend he's now broken enough to compeltely throw away two seasons of character development. It's bad writing.

It's like the writers bought into their own hype a little too much about how dark and gritty and badass their show was and have abandoned all nuance in order to just continue to push the limits of what they can get away with on the CW.

Bad writing: that's a good way to put it. I hate to jump to "bad writing" too quickly when I watch shows (because I like to write, but can't write scripts worth poo poo), but this episode did seem really scattered and random. Kind of like when I was playing with my action figures as a kid, and I'd have to come up with weird reasons why certain dudes would fight the others.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
can I trade pike for jaha? I'm sorry I made fun of you jaha please come back you were way better than this douche

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The big fight was good and tense because it really could have gone either way.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Pike went full Trump. You never go full Trump.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
No need to trade Pike for Jaha. I'm pretty sure we're going to get more of both than we could have ever wanted.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They need to just keep Jasper locked in a room somewhere.

Hopefully for a long time. without food.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is all so forced, so contrived. I'm so disappointed.

:agreed:

Troposphere posted:

can I trade pike for jaha? I'm sorry I made fun of you jaha please come back you were way better than this douche

These last 2 episodes needed a lot more of Jaha's wild ride. :colbert:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Lexa is a psychopath and I think I'm in love with her.

When did Bellamy become a complete blithering retard? This feels more like plot for the sake of plot than something Bellamy would actually do. I was convinced he was working with Kane to trap Pike right up until it became painfully clear he wasn't.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Troposphere posted:

Pike's position is understandable. His entire relationship with the rounders has involved them trying to kill people from the Ark. From the second the farm station landed, the grounder a killed his people, including children. He knows they tried to kill the 100. When he did give a grounder the benefit of the doubt, it got Mount Weather blown up. After all of that I'd also be skeptical of a grounder army that surrounded my camp "as protection".

If Roan beat Lexa, that army would have been given orders to kill the Sky Crew.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because we're supposed to accept that because of a 3 month off-screen unexplained relationship with a redshrit girlfriend he's now broken enough to compeltely throw away two seasons of character development. It's bad writing.
Yeah if this is what they're going for it's the first major misstep the show's made

also bring back Jaha and the Murphster, holy poo poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Bellamy wasn't around for the grounder lovefest in Season 2. He was with the Skaikru-Grounder Coalition for like one day before Clarke sent him off on his spy mission (where he was subsequently betrayed by his Grounder Bro, though Lincoln had more reason than most). The next he heard of the Great Grounder Alliance, they hosed off and left them to die, and a genocide happened. Not saying he's particularly justified in his current course of action, just pointing out that literally every single time Bellamy Blake has trusted a Grounder, it has ended badly for him. And basically everyone else.

Fair point, but still doesn't work out in light of his decision to completely and unequivocally trust a random grounder girl he knew for all of a day (and who hosed off and left him to die at Mount Weather right alongside Lexa)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Fair point, but still doesn't work out in light of his decision to completely and unequivocally trust a random grounder girl he knew for all of a day (and who hosed off and left him to die at Mount Weather right alongside Lexa)

The gist of that post was that Echo was probably the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of Bellamy trusting Grounders on basically anything.

They still could've done it better though. I mean, come on. Why invent a character to be his girlfriend just to kill her off? They could've used someone we already knew. Hell, it didn't even have to be his girlfriend. We all know Bellamy's got a huge big brother complex: just show him being a good big brother figure to Harper or Monroe, have them be his little protege now that Octavia spends most of her time being a warrior princess. Put them in the mountain and have THEM be the ones who die a semi-badass death bleeding out and still trying to save everyone. It would mean so much more, and it would make so much more sense for both the audience and Bellamy to be really torn up about it. We don't know Harper or Monroe that well, but at least we loving know them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm still chuckling at Abby and Kane tossing the Chancellor pin back and forth, then Pike comes up out of nowhere and snatches it while dunking on those 2 nerds. :slick:

also I thought the Chancellor still had to vote on stuff and wasn't just a dictator.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just watching it now, popped in to say

gently caress YOU ICE QUEEN!

edit: gently caress YOU PIKE!

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This show is in danger of approaching Under the Dome level of nonsensical character decisions and plot development. And it's managed to do it in 4 episodes. That's crazy.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Finally, a Chancellor with good ideas and the courage to see them through. The man the Arkers needed and the one they deserve.

Pike does nothing wrong.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lexa is Aussie?

Sydneykru represent!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Troposphere posted:

I'm glad I'm only really invested in Clarke and Lexa because this super dumb plot development will definitely make them closer and give them lots of screen time together!

Judging by your avatar/custom title you are way more invested in fictional lesbians than I am but I agree because holy poo poo Clarke and Lexa's relationship really is the only good plot thread in this season so far. There's two characters I like acting according to previous characterization without any nonsense offscreen development, the actresses are killing it, and I have been emotionally moved by a few scenes. Everything else about season 3 is the exact opposite... Well maybe except Murphy. He's still hilariously terrible and that's why we love him

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I really thought they were gonna spend an episode on the election.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I knew Pike was going to become Chancellor. :argh: Bellamy is letting his emotions for his dead girlfriend and trusted earth skills teacher sway him and I'm not a fan of this character twist.

Which, according to the preview, he's going to regret but not before they slaughter Treekru's army. :argh:

Everything at Polis was awesome. :black101:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
you know pike's right that they have to prove that skicrew isn't just collateral damage.

The problem is that they're attacking the wrong grounder clan.

otoh trop is right that this will lead to more Clexa action so I'm a - okay with that.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The Season 3 CW Syndrome is starting to get visible here. New characters that are just a variation of a departed character. Established characters suddenly behaving differently for drama's sake. Other characters not appearing at all for several episodes without explanation. I really hope this PIKE/TRUMP/FINN 2016 thing does not start taking all the show's time. Everything in Polis was loving awesome from Lexa showing everyone just who's the boss to Clarke trying to save Lexa behind with murder sleeves and some good world building. The whole black blood Commander thing is a really cool way to explain it beyond spirits choosing the next Commander. Some rare blood mutation that may have a small advantage in strength or stamina, easly recognized and the ones with it being trained from childhood makes sense within the world.

It's a bit of a problem for the show as a whole that most of the good stuff depends on a guest star who's on a big other show as well. When FTWD starts it will be painful to watch Lexa as a rather useless teenager instead of chopping heads left and right.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man it really does not feel like Debnam-Carey is guest starring. Even in season 2 she practically felt like a main character.

Still can't believe she's only been in 12 episodes technically.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Don't quite understand the hate for Pike.

Someone has to lay the groundwork for Clarke's season three killing spree.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

He's a one-note instigator and his plotline so far has been extremely predictable. That might change but so far he's terrible. He's filling the same role the vice-captain of the guard did last season but unlike her Pike's motivations are laid plane.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

hollylolly posted:

I knew Pike was going to become Chancellor. :argh: Bellamy is letting his emotions for his dead girlfriend and trusted earth skills teacher sway him and I'm not a fan of this character twist.

I think we could have got to this point with Bellamy, without the Gina angle. Bellamy has always been willing to go to extremes when either he or his people were threatened. Let's not forget that he captured and tortured Lincoln, allowed 300 people on the Ark to be killed to avoid facing the consequences of shooting Jaha, and was leading the charge to kill grounders when Finn and Clarke wanted to make peace. Last season he let his guard down, as Pike did in the episode before, and in return for risking his life to free all the grounders, Lexa left them all to die once she had gotten what she wanted. When Clarke pulled the level to irradiate Mount Weather, she was killing Cage and mostly faceless people. Bellamy joined her in eradicating everyone even after being saved and aided by the good Mountain Men. Now, the grounder who probably best understands what Bellamy went through to save them, betrayed him and got Mount Weather blown up. It would have been completely reasonable for Bellamy to join Pike's grounder extermination force without the dead girlfriend motivation.

Even Pike is acting fairly rationally given the information he has. The Farm Station have been getting killed by grounders from the minute they landed, and now there is a "truce" assured by the grounder commander, whose actions would have likely left no remaining Ark survivors for him to have reunited with. Under this truce, some grounders still blew up half of Pike's people - and now there is an grounder army surrounding them. You would have to be pretty naive to believe that the army surrounding you were there to help.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
The rampant stupidity displayed in this episode has made it one of the few times I have legitimately been disappointed in this show. Lexa Katnissing the Ice Queen was pretty great though. That fight was pretty good for the CW.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

It's going to be amazing when Clarke's next genocide is her own people.

Bellamy's really the only plot line bugging me. I was hoping when Pike was convincing Bells to give them weapons he'd refuse and force Pike to knock him out, but nope Bells is a dum-dum.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the Pike stuff might have been easier to swallow if he didn't just come out of nowhere as a character nobody ever mentioned before and was all "yes, I am super important and everyone respects me." Especially bad with an anti-authority person like Bellamy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I know it won't happen, but it would be pretty great if the 10 dudes Pike took with him to attack the grounder army were wiped out completely. Turns out they aren't so easy to ambush and numbers > guns.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is all so forced, so contrived. I'm so disappointed.

Seriously it's really really bad

And just earlier in the episode they reminded me why I like this show (the spear throw) just to subsequently remind me why I frequently think it's dumb and bad (idiots deciding to attack the helpful grounders for no reason).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Which, according to the preview, he's going to regret but not before they slaughter Treekru's army. :argh:

Everything at Polis was awesome. :black101:

Yeah I just feel so much more invested in the grounder drama and stories than everyone at Arkadia being idiots.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah I just feel so much more invested in the grounder drama and stories than everyone at Arkadia being idiots.

Hopefully it'll just be the [preview]one surprise attack on their friends, and then Bellamy will realize he's an idiot but Pike won't relent and Wanheda will come kill Pike. Monty's mom is kind of blood thirsty, too.

Farm Station should be helping Arkadia figure out their food growing situation, not leading the charge of breaking up a coalition they know nothing about. :argh: They should have all been inside Mt Weather!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm wondering if anyone else could've filled in the Pike role. Maybe Monty's mom would've been a better choice so we had some basic connection to them?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pike isn't awful, his characterization is just rushed.

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, the Pike stuff might have been easier to swallow if he didn't just come out of nowhere as a character nobody ever mentioned before and was all "yes, I am super important and everyone respects me." Especially bad with an anti-authority person like Bellamy.

Basically for this reason. He's been at the Ark like a week and somehow everyone in the Ark is swayed by his appeals for war? I get the farm station being on his side, and even some of the Ark looking for retribution for Mt. Weather, but enough to steal the election from Kane? One episode dedicated to Pike (hell a flashback episode with him on the Ark and on the ground would have been neat) to show how he was a respected member of the Ark Station, and how he managed on the ground would have been worth the time.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Agree that they should have given Pike more time to develop but then again he is pretty much slated for death.

The Polis stuff was great though.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
they could have at least shown the election

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Agree that they should have given Pike more time to develop but then again he is pretty much slated for death.

This is true, Clarke might just execute him next episode to make a point lol.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Farm Station should be helping Arkadia figure out their food growing situation, not leading the charge of breaking up a coalition they know nothing about. :argh: They should have all been inside Mt Weather!

Despite not knowing a whole lot about the history of the grounder alliance, Farm Station still have a much better grasp of the situation that the Sky people currently face. Roan was one lunge away from getting all of Arkadia murdered in their sleep. The only actual "allies" the Sky people have among the grounders are a recently-unbanished Lincoln, the healer, Indra, and Lexa (and that's almost entirely down to her having a thing for Clarke). Most of the grounders want to kill them, and even as commander, Lexa didn't prove capable of keeping them safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

If Indra has a radio I don't see how a sneak attack would be possible. Just warn her that some idiots with guns are heading their way.

Except she's not likely to order her army to melt away into the woods, and more likely to defend herself with extreme prejudice, so then more Skykru are killed by Grounders.....

I think I'm just disappointed that Pike doesn't have any nuance right now?

• Locked thread