Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Are there any good srpgs on the vita that aren't PSX/PSP games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

disgaea 4? i dunno what/if the distinction is between S and T RPGs

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There isn't really any distinction. Disgaea is your best bet, the vita really hasn't seen many srpgs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Raiden, isn't this just a type of role playing game?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Are there any good srpgs on the vita that aren't PSX/PSP games?

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

They said "good".

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Motto posted:

They said "good".

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goodess Black Heart

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goodess Black Heart

You have a funny understanding of 'good', friend

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

kirbysuperstar posted:

No the game has a lot of great features!

-There are traps on the map, and they only apply to your units.
-You often have to split your moves into multiple turns if one is nearby because the pathing AI for your units does not move around them even if you have sufficient moves left, and they will instead walk straight into them, ending their turn on top of being hit by the trap.
-There are some levels in the game that require you to solve a throwing/stacking minipuzzle before getting to the action. In Disgaea this could require clever ideas and be fun. Instead this is tedious and bad.
-Some maps have a turn limit on top of all this, with enemies way spread out everywhere.
So if that sounds appealing you will love Hyperdevotion Noire.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This guy gets it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
e: haha whoops wrong thread

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Looper posted:

e: haha whoops wrong thread

I like world maps because otherwise the alternatives are often:
-You don't really explore the world and just pick where to go from a menu.
-The game makes you walk more or less everywhere. In order to keep that interesting most of the game's dungeons are now fields and forests. Eventually you will get an airship and pick where to go from a menu.

I don't really like the second option there because most of the time it makes a lot of the game locations unexciting. The first option works fine but I still like the idea of being able to get an airship later and fly around the whole world in a minute.
There are some games that do the second way well though. Final Fantasy X is a good example as most of that game's world is colorful and interesting and there's a lot happening all throughout your journey from place to place.

edit: Oh you edited that. It was a bit discussion about world maps in RPGs.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

You cannot stop the person who platinumed criminal girls from liking bad games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

13/f/cali posted:

I like world maps because otherwise the alternatives are often:
-You don't really explore the world and just pick where to go from a menu.
-The game makes you walk more or less everywhere. In order to keep that interesting most of the game's dungeons are now fields and forests. Eventually you will get an airship and pick where to go from a menu.

I don't really like the second option there because most of the time it makes a lot of the game locations unexciting. The first option works fine but I still like the idea of being able to get an airship later and fly around the whole world in a minute.
There are some games that do the second way well though. Final Fantasy X is a good example as most of that game's world is colorful and interesting and there's a lot happening all throughout your journey from place to place.

edit: Oh you edited that. It was a bit discussion about world maps in RPGs.

i meant to post in the rpg thread where it was relevant :blush:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ruggington posted:

You cannot stop the person who platinumed criminal girls from liking bad games

I never played and never will play the Noire game. I have standards.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I never played and never will play the Noire game. I have standards.

Can I make you play bad games? Is that a part of your dark pact

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Ah, well. Thanks, Vita thread.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ruggington posted:

Can I make you play bad games? Is that a part of your dark pact

I have Dragon Fin Soup. I'm already in the Shadow Realm.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

LibrarianCroaker posted:

TBH, with Disgaea 2, 3, 4 and Tactics Ogre you should be set for 2 decades until another Disgaea game is ported to the Vita.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Takoluka posted:

They're supposedly still working on the patch!

https://twitter.com/TheGrimmBros/status/690946901248733184

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Unless someone else can find better info, wikipedia tells me Project Setsuna is due out in Japan on the 18th. I'm assuming it's not the case, as I haven't heard anything about the game since its reveal back in sep/nov of 2015.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Unless someone else can find better info, wikipedia tells me Project Setsuna is due out in Japan on the 18th. I'm assuming it's not the case, as I haven't heard anything about the game since its reveal back in sep/nov of 2015.

There have been some updates:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=www.tokyorpgfactory.com%2Fnews.php&edit-text=&act=url

The official website was update on january 27 and still says feb 18:

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/setsuna/

And they announced a preorder version with a lower price and a theme included:

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/setsuna/limited.html

Also for those who hadn't heard of it, gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ot0dz7Ypg0

Heike
Dec 26, 2013
Also, this was just posted yesterday and gives a bit more of the game play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knk8HkX7Anc

There hasn't been a ton of information released on it, but I'm excited. I've got it pre-ordered.

Which reminds me...I don't need to swap my US PSN account around on my Vita to play this right? I thought I had read somewhere that I could pop Japanese games into my Vita and it'd be fine with storing my saves on my US account memory card.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Physical games will work just fine in the Vita on a US account, but you will be region-locked out of DLC. That's it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Heike posted:

Which reminds me...I don't need to swap my US PSN account around on my Vita to play this right? I thought I had read somewhere that I could pop Japanese games into my Vita and it'd be fine with storing my saves on my US account memory card.
If you import the cart then you're fine. Savegames will store on your american memory card just fine. You will however be locked out of any DLC there may be, since you can only use DLC you can buy via the us store.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Takoluka posted:

So Dragon Fin Soup. I guess all the text in that game is just like one big file and when you talk to a dude it's like like 'print line 17' and then the next dude is like 'print line 18' etc. Except I somehow skipped a line so every character then said the next plot line instead of their own dialogue, even if it was another person's or like hours away story-wise or whatever from where I currently was. Until I got to a point where I guess the next person I talk to is supposed to make me put on a disguise or something mid-dialogue which obviously doesn't work because the wrong person is telling me that dialogue at the wrong point so it just hard crashes and there is no backup save or way for me to continue playing.

So if that happens to you force the app closed immediately or you're hosed forever.

I think it happened because I died after talking to a plot character and when it reloaded me it didn't set that text back so I talked to them again and it went haywire forever.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 12, 2016

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
You shouldn't be playing Dragon Fin Soup anyway.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

boho posted:

You shouldn't be playing Dragon Fin Soup anyway.

Yeah also that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Like I said, Shadow Realm.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Hopefully you haven't fully left yet because V is basically the best answer. If you ever played FFTactics and enjoyed it, PSP game or not, you owe it to yourself to get Tactics Ogre (Let us kill together). If you're into more comical and sometimes very weird humour, Disgaea 4 is pretty great.

Mithaldu posted:

TBH, with Disgaea 2, 3, 4 and Tactics Ogre you should be set for 2 decades until another Disgaea game is ported to the Vita.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

Dragon Fin Soup
It's not a horrible game, just was released incomplete and buggy, with patches getting stuck thanks to them using a third party company to do the vita port which is apparently dragging their heels.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

It's not a horrible game

It's pretty bad. At least accidentally eating shoes more than once and getting a recipe for a gimp mask was funny for a few moments, though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

why are there no good roguelikes/lites on the vita anyway

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

voltcatfish posted:

I almost exclusively played Isaac on the Vita, and I didn't seem to encounter the vast plethora of problems everybody else has.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess it depends how you define roguelike but aren't Spelunky/BoI/Rogue Legacy/Crypt of the Necrodancer roguelikes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Both frames per second of Vita Isaac were good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

voltcatfish posted:

This was true like a year or two ago. Now I'd say you aren't looking.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Saoshyant posted:

This was true like a year or two ago. Now I'd say you aren't looking.

I guess I haven't looked at the vita new releases in the past six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

voltcatfish posted:

I guess I haven't looked at the vita new releases in the past six months

Sins of this nature can only be cleansed with a serious dose of Nep.

e:
Speaking of, the insert "manual" for Nep VII on PS4 has an entire page for Vita Remote Play controls. If there is one franchise that will never abandon the Vita, it's that one.