Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pander posted:

I'm guessing you mean Bernie, not HIllary, and what about his record are you not feeling? What is he missing?

Oops yep, meant Bernie.

Pro-choice is kind of the religious angle on women, a lot of women understand how those feelings become intense and complicated. You'll find a lot of very liberal women who still won't admit that they'd be uncomfortable having one (or flatly unwilling), and a lot of religious people who have had one or facilitated a friend. Obviously the government shouldn't be making this decision, but most women have some amount of compassion for the other side (including cases of rape, where if you thought the baby was a full human you probably wouldn't allow any exceptions).

Meanwhile, maternity leave is something I have never encountered a woman against. Hillary far more consistently mentions it. There's WPS, gender equality legislation before the senate (including wage gap), there's her law record, there's her taking huge flack for her statement on how women suffer in times of war, blah blah. These things are a lot more straightforward to most women. But Bernie always whips out the pro-choice record, but I think it indicates he doesn't realize women feel they have equally big, or bigger, problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Joementum posted:

No, but really, why is a Democrat defending Henry Kissinger in 2016?

I'm not sure why she wouldn't jump at the chance other than a general desire to not be seen as too aggro

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Proposition Joe posted:

Hillary Clinton is a Republican.

*Progressive

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Is there a reason you're not telling us?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

Hillary Clinton is a Republican.

triangulation happened

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm sorry for any remarks that may have seemed out of line tonight I just really can't think clearly when it comes to Scott loving Walker and what he loving did to my state

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah who the gently caress is against maternity leave in 2016? Why is this even a topic?

Yes, let's just have the woman pop out the child on the office floor.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Clinton's positions are entirely defensive. No visible campaign platform to speak of besides "vote for me because I'll be a good president." Bernie brings up the issues and she downplays their impact or downplays what can be done about those issues. Nothing to get excited about there. I'll vote for her if she is the nomination, but she's running as Obama's third term and that's not inspiring at all.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Joementum posted:

She knows something we don't?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"I listen to Kissinger, then do exactly the opposite! Ha ha!"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Harlock posted:

*Progressive

A Progressive Republican! I think it was Robin Williams who said that "It's like a Volvo with a gun rack."

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Maybe she's the Democrat's Richard Nixon?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

uncurable mlady posted:

I'm not sure why she wouldn't jump at the chance other than a general desire to not be seen as too aggro

Or perhaps, and I'm just spitballin' here, she's part of some kind of political establishment that is still friendly to him.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

A Man and his dog posted:

Yeah who the gently caress is against maternity leave in 2016? Why is this even a topic?

Yes, let's just have the woman pop out the child on the office floor.

Paid maternity leave. The FMLA sucks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Or perhaps, and I'm just spitballin' here, she's part of some kind of political establishment that is still friendly to him.

he knows where the secret hams are stashed. there are like fifty hams hidden in the walls of the pentagon alone.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

please don't troll, here in the most troll-free forums on the internet

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm 100% about calling Hillary out for the Kissinger thing but I really don't want to lose that whole "Churchill" thing either.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

The CFR doesn't like her

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pick posted:

he knows where the secret hams are stashed. there are like fifty hams hidden in the walls of the pentagon alone.

Doesn't sound kosher.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

Paid maternity leave. The FMLA sucks.

Even the lack of protections regarding duration of unpaid are huge problems.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Doesn't sound kosher.

well that's why they're still there

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Brannock posted:

God gently caress Tom Barrett and his completely limpdicked campaigns

Burke was better, but not by enough. I think she would have had been a very competent governor, but didn't have quite enough charisma to win an election, sadly

Wisconsin should run Tommy Bartlett instead!

I remember when Obama went on a national tour when all that poo poo was going down and they drove right past wisconsin.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

STAC Goat posted:

I'm 100% about calling Hillary out for the Kissinger thing but I really don't want to lose that whole "Churchill" thing either.

:gas:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I posted this in irc but didn't see if someone stole it

"The Mandela thing makes sense, Hillary probably feels some sort of connection to politicians who spent a lot of time in prison"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/697999047538429952

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hillary is literally Richard Nixon, it all makes sense now

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pick posted:

Even the lack of protections regarding duration of unpaid are huge problems.

Well, by statute it's super short anyway (also iirc it's cumulative within a year so gently caress you if you have a kid and something else happens that you need time for), and there's no really good way to enforce it because you'd have to sue which is probably tricky if you don't have a job any more'

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
She is not a crook.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

By Bangladesh, does he mean Kissinger supported W. Pakistan in that war? Oh my god.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Non-Americans that are on the short list of leaders respected by many Americans, that aren't too obscure:

1. Churchill
2. Gandhi
3. Mandela
4. Pope Francis maybe?
5. The Dalai Lama (lol)
6. Simon Bolivar... Maybe? Okay probably not.
7. Ancient generals from antiquity that Dad keeps watching on the History Channel

I understand why Bernie went with the safe answer.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

STAC Goat posted:

Bernie had to come up with two leaders off the top of his head. The Kissinger thing has been kicking around for a bit now, she should have had a better answer.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Non-Americans that are on the short list of leaders respected by many Americans, that aren't too obscure:

1. Churchill
2. Gandhi
3. Mandela
4. Pope Francis maybe?
5. The Dalai Lama (lol)
7. Ancient generals from antiquity that Dad keeps watching on the History Channel

Bernie should have said MLK for opposing the Vietnam war. It would have been perfect.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/697997382726905857

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

memy posted:

Bernie had to come up with two leaders off the top of his head.

That should have been easy for a candidate of his longevity.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Woooo!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

Well, by statute it's super short anyway (also iirc it's cumulative within a year so gently caress you if you have a kid and something else happens that you need time for), and there's no really good way to enforce it because you'd have to sue which is probably tricky if you don't have a job any more'

Right, I think maybe I misunderstood you. My point was that the lack of paid maternity leave is bad, but the unpaid angle is also super bad. It's bad to the core.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

1. Churchill
2. Gandhi
3. Mandela
4. Pope Francis maybe?
5. The Dalai Lama (lol)

It's also a reach across the spectrum, like Obama loving Lincoln, and likening some of his own political acumen to Reagan (at one debate, forgot which one)

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

AH, so she is a liberal after all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

By Bangladesh, does he mean Kissinger supported W. Pakistan in that war? Oh my god.

Yes.

Henry Kissinger is directly responsible for the deaths of millions of human beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
so is FDR

• Locked thread