Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003

OhYeah posted:

Yakunin was reportedly were well regarded in Putin's inner circle until very recently. It seems like he's getting the shaft now. They are bringing in corruption/tax evasion charges so it's possible he'll have to flee the country.

Yakunin mismanaged his way out of favor in late 2004 when Russian Railways cut a bunch of unprofitable routes to far-flung regions that for many were their only link to the rest of Russia/the world. Mr. Yakunin evidently got drunk and forgot that he was in charge of a government-owned company and thus at least had to pretend to operate in the interest of the public good.

The affair ended a year ago with Putin's personal intervention.

https://www.znak.com/2015-02-04/skandal_s_elektrichkami_dobralsya_do_putina_prezident_potreboval_vernut_otmenennye_marshruty (in Russian).

Vladimir Putin posted:

Trains have stopped running in some regions? Have you lost your mind?

One Friedman unit later, Yakunin is force retired. Another Friedman unit later, they "find out" about all the money he stole and welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

http://belsat.eu/en/news/protest-action-of-foreign-currency-mortgage-borrowers-in-moscow/

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

"Help! I'm being oppressed!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This is basically what I picture in my head when I think "Eastern Europe"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

This is basically what I picture in my head when I think "Eastern Europe"
Somebody reminded me of this bit lately and it's spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mYqY5YELd0

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Palpek posted:

I think that Rade (dude who's speaking to them) putting his bike seat on his bike before cycling away is a neat little touch.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
What movie is that?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

What movie is that?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eurotrip/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ruslan Leviev had his various accounts on the internet hacked, including his Bellingcat contributor account, so I woke up to this

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

Ruslan Leviev had his various accounts on the internet hacked, including his Bellingcat contributor account, so I woke up to this

I really don't understand what hackers think this accomplishes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

lol @all the butthurt comments and other Eastern Euro users dissing Slovakia

Toto že a Bratislava ? Choďte sa vycpať americký debili Skorej Luník preklad:gently caress You

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

steinrokkan posted:

lol @all the butthurt comments and other Eastern Euro users dissing Slovakia

Toto že a Bratislava ? Choďte sa vycpať americký debili Skorej Luník preklad:gently caress You

Haha, I remember the indignation here in Slovakia when the movie came out.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

"needs to be cured much more than published" sounds ominous.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Friendly Tumour posted:

I really don't understand what hackers think this accomplishes.

They basically remind people that modern day Russia is basically Mordor and it's minions are everywhere. Cyberattacks like this one are meant to strike fear into the hearts of Russia's enemies.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Libluini posted:

They basically remind people that modern day Russia is basically Mordor and it's minions are everywhere. Cyberattacks like this one are meant to strike fear into the hearts of Russia's enemies.

Do you get fearful when you see that dumb propaganda post?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Friendly Tumour posted:

Do you get fearful when you see that dumb propaganda post?

Well, no. But then, there's a difference between "meant to be" and "actually working". :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently a Prague hospital thought this was a good way to indicate the foreigner emergency care section:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And I thought this Czech add for genuine chocolate face was slightly "un pc"

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I don't see how you can judge them for that, though. Most EE states are ridiculously homogenous and never really experienced diverse societies. Only lately with more global exposure will that very slowly change.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Czechs have a huge Vietnamese population which they do their best to totally ignore and generally think of as some sort of automatons that run grocery stores. There isn't really horrible racism, but there's a really weird lack of any sort of interaction. The Vietnamese just come over to run a store for a few years to send money back home and generally do not put down roots or try to interact with the locals, and the locals make absolutely no effort to interact with them. They aren't really hated like the roma, just totally ignored.

Here's an interesting article written by a Vietnamese american on their experiences in eastern europe, specially Prague.
http://praguemonitor.com/2010/03/26/confession-vietnamese-czech-republic

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 11, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Baronjutter posted:

The Czechs have a huge Vietnamese population which they do their best to totally ignore and generally think of as some sort of automatons that run grocery stores. There isn't really horrible racism, but there's a really weird lack of any sort of interaction. The Vietnamese just come over to run a store for a few years to send money back home and generally do not put down roots or try to interact with the locals, and the locals make absolutely no effort to interact with them. They aren't really hated like the roma, just totally ignored.

Here's an interesting article written by a Vietnamese american on their experiences in eastern europe, specially Prague.
http://praguemonitor.com/2010/03/26/confession-vietnamese-czech-republic

This looks excellent, thank you!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's a Good Article and I'm saying that as a Czech. She hits the nail on the head of a lot of the problems - if you had to describe the Vietnamese community here in one phrase, it'd be "inobtrusively omnipresent". They originally did their drat best not to alert anyone - and I honestly can't blame them, the whole roma issue and more recently the immigration clusterfuck prove that if anything, the Czech majority is racist as hell. The Vietnamese if anything managed to dodge a bullet there by being sterotypized as hard-working and comical as opposed to being outright despised which is what happens to, well, just about everyone else.

I had a couple Vietnamese schoolmates at the college and we talked about this, apparently there's a young generation that actually wants to stay and expand behind the niches they're forced into, but they're finding resistance both from Czechs and the older Vietnamese that seem to regard the country as means to an end. I'd love to say there's a chance for this generation to actually grow some roots here - but I'm not too hopeful.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 11, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brown Moses posted:

They missed the opportunity of making it just "Cyberkut", shameful.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
When they aren't running potraviny the Vietnamese make some killer drunk food in Prague. There's a small shop right across from jiriho z podebrad that is def worth visiting if you're in the area

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

never trust an elf posted:

When they aren't running potraviny the Vietnamese make some killer drunk food in Prague. There's a small shop right across from jiriho z podebrad that is def worth visiting if you're in the area
It's hard to find ones that make actual Vietnamese food, though. Most of them run fastfoods that, uh, cater to the traditional Czech tastes. See: fried cheese.
They also spawned some popular but truly unholy abominations like gyros with noodles.

It's a shame; I recently ate at a Vietnamese market and the food there was delicious.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
The restaurants in Sapa seems to be pretty authentic as I mostly see other Vietnamese people eat there. Also a great place to get ingredients for your own cooking.

The article is absolutely correct but also something anyone could've told you after being here for for more than a week-long vacation. I work at a multinational company and despite running into Russian and Ukrainian colleagues and customers all the time, there are disproportionally few Vietnamese in this kind of environment. They mostly make Bún bò Nam Bộ for our lunch...

That said, I just thought that by this point there'd be enough awareness to realize that crude racial caricatures aren't the most appropriate way to represent foreigners, especially in Prague where there are a noticeable population of Asian and black people.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

anilEhilated posted:

gyros with noodles

what

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Something like Doener kebab (usually chicken) with noodles:

I'd wager that nobody ever saw anything like this in Vietnam but here it's good drunk food, as has been pointed out.1

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

mobby_6kl posted:

Something like Doener kebab (usually chicken) with noodles:

I'd wager that nobody ever saw anything like this in Vietnam but here it's good drunk food, as has been pointed out.1
:wtc:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's got an inherent advantage in that it at least looks like meat, unlike what you get in standard fast foods.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

Hakcing someone's stuff like this is basically just the equivalent of tearing down a few posters and putting up your own. There is absolutely nothing scary about that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

vetinari100 posted:

Haha, I remember the indignation here in Slovakia when the movie came out.

Pretty much the same as Kazakhstan when Borat came out. It's clear that Sacsha Baron Cohen has never been there, no one looked at all Asian in any of the Kazakh reel. IIRC, they actually shot that in some Roma ghetto in Romania.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

-Troika- posted:

Hakcing someone's stuff like this is basically just the equivalent of tearing down a few posters and putting up your own. There is absolutely nothing scary about that.

...if you were a guy that assassinated people and invaded other countries, that'd be pretty scary

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/02/03/ukraines-economy-minister-abromavicius-quits/

One reformer down, can't say there are many left.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the FT paywall trick?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

What's the FT paywall trick?

google the title & click the link

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I saw a link to WW3 Inside the War Room on BBC News recently. What's the general consensus of that program?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Now taking bets on the imminent downfall of the Poroshenko government, odds are 20:1 for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay it's a few days later now but I can't stop looking at that kebab and noodles without really wanting it. gently caress y'all who think that's gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Friendly Tumour posted:

Now taking bets on the imminent downfall of the Poroshenko government, odds are 20:1 for.

The actual odds are 0%, because there is no such thing as the Poroshenko government. (He is not the head of government)

• Locked thread