Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread is about the Apple AIDS watch, and Apple AIDS, not watching Apple AIDS consume some faggots internet personality thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

imagine being unable to understand why apple would want to make some extra money from the huge third party industry that has sprung up around their devices by selling accessories to norms.

imagine

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

This thread is about the Apple AIDS watch, and Apple AIDS, not watching Apple AIDS consume some faggots internet personality thread

please dont use slurs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

not only does apple officially suggest using screen protectors on their phones now, they have a totally separate 3rd party with their own branding and equipment performing the installation of screen protectors in apple stores. lmao.

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i liked stux better when he had the typo gimmick

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

i liked stux

this is where things went wrong

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I like how

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
lol if anyone thinks stock market price is an indicator of success or failure for Apple's products. the only thing investors care about is explosive growth, it has nothing to do with the quality of the products they make. investors will put money into a factory that shits into peoples mouths while they drone down an assembly line watching reruns of married with children if they think that they'll make a return on investment on it.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol

stux is right but the trolls wanna be apple haters so they gotta agree with stymie

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

do labor.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gas

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BONGHITZ posted:

do labour.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

go into labor.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ posted:

do labor.

or at least RP a laborer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cremnob posted:

lol

stux is right but the trolls wanna be apple haters so they gotta agree with stymie

actually people agree with me because i am correct and post facts

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

lol

stymie is right more often than not which is more than can be said of you, stux or thc.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
im in team stux which almost got autocorrected to stud which i agree with

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

DaNzA posted:

lol @ all the people arguing about brands that are making money off them

it would be nice if we could all agree that it's all future garbage instead of doing all this console warrior bullshit

I'm tired of all these star wars

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Dodoman posted:

stymie is right more often than not which is more than can be said of you, stux or thc.

you buy and recommend gaming laptops

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i buy them yes, i don't recommend them.

the xps15 valeyard and i were talking about is not a gaming laptop.

the asus g751958349324gy which i have is a gaming laptop, i would not recommend you buy something this big unless you absolutely have to.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

you buy and recommend gaming laptops

:vince:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

sorry, i got you confused with the xbone guy

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

sorry, i got you confused with the xbone guy

Dodoman posted:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
https://youtube.com/watch?v=fY-ahR1R6IE

An interesting bug relating to the date and time system in iOS has emerged recently. Several users have discovered that if you change your iOS device’s date to January 1st, 1970, your device will be permanently bricked. You can see the process in the video below, and while I don’t have any desire to try it out to confirm, it’s pretty apparent based on separate reports that it’s a legitimate issue.

In order to change your date and time settings, you have to go to the Settings app, tap the General menu, choose Date & Time, and turn off the Set Automatically option. From there, you’ll have to scroll through the menu until it reaches as far back as it goes. After that, go back to the General menu then go back into the Date & Time settings and scroll backwards again. You’ll have to repeat this process until you reach 1970. The video below shows specifically how to do it.

After you successfully set your iOS device’s date to January 1st, 1970, you’ll then want to reboot your phone and book a trip to the Apple Store. Once you reboot, your device will reportedly not come back on. You can put it into DFU and even get iTunes to recognize it to perform a restore, but even after that, it will remain stuck on the boot up screen.

This bug affects any iOS device that uses a 64-bit processor and is running iOS 8 or newer, including iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches. For those unsure, 64 bit processors are the A7, A8, A8X, A9, and A9X (iPhone 5s or later, for instance). If you use a 32 bit device, you’re in the clear.

A Reddit thread offers a handful of possible causes of the issue. The most reasonable appears to be that it all comes down to time zones and that setting the date to January 1st, 1970 causes the internal clock to be set to less than zero, which confuses the device and crashes it.

Another user claims that he inadvertently suffered this bug when he changed the time zone on his iPhone from Bejing back to New York, experiencing the same issue.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

psychotic user behaviour

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
hurr durr i'm apple *writes datetime in signed storage*

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

broken clock opsec posted:

hurr durr i'm apple *writes datetime in signed storage*

:five: for username and post context

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Earliest date you should be able to select is June 29, 2007

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theultimo posted:

In order to change your date and time settings, you have to go to the Settings app, tap the General menu, choose Date & Time, and turn off the Set Automatically option. From there, you’ll have to scroll through the menu until it reaches as far back as it goes. After that, go back to the General menu then go back into the Date & Time settings and scroll backwards again. You’ll have to repeat this process until you reach 1970. The video below shows specifically how to do it.

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

did u know u can wipe ur iphone with no way of recovering the data? to do so you throw it into a pool of lava. looks like its back to the fruit stand for any affected users!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Larry Parrish posted:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Stux posted:

did u know u can wipe ur iphone with no way of recovering the data? to do so you throw it into a pool of lava. looks like its back to the fruit stand for any affected users!!

actually if you did that you could re-download all your data from icloud

i mean on to a new phone obv

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

actually if you did that you could re-download all your data from icloud

i mean on to a new phone obv

blessed be timb

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Being able to permanently brick a device in 2 minutes is not anything to be worried about

-AIDS infected yosposter

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

single greatest phone ever made

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

theultimo posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fY-ahR1R6IE

An interesting bug relating to the date and time system in iOS has emerged recently. Several users have discovered that if you change your iOS device’s date to January 1st, 1970, your device will be permanently bricked. You can see the process in the video below, and while I don’t have any desire to try it out to confirm, it’s pretty apparent based on separate reports that it’s a legitimate issue.

After you successfully set your iOS device’s date to January 1st, 1970, you’ll then want to reboot your phone and book a trip to the Apple Store. Once you reboot, your device will reportedly not come back on. You can put it into DFU and even get iTunes to recognize it to perform a restore, but even after that, it will remain stuck on the boot up screen.

This bug affects any iOS device that uses a 64-bit processor and is running iOS 8 or newer, including iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches. For those unsure, 64 bit processors are the A7, A8, A8X, A9, and A9X (iPhone 5s or later, for instance). If you use a 32 bit device, you’re in the clear.

A Reddit thread offers a handful of possible causes of the issue. The most reasonable appears to be that it all comes down to time zones and that setting the date to January 1st, 1970 causes the internal clock to be set to less than zero, which confuses the device and crashes it.

Another user claims that he inadvertently suffered this bug when he changed the time zone on his iPhone from Bejing back to New York, experiencing the same issue.

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tbf my clamshell ibook and wallstreet g3 powerbook running os9 both warn me at boot that setting the date to "before january 1st 1970" will cause unexpected behaviour

frankly it's just stebe's fault for not anticipating time travel to before 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana

• Locked thread