Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thespaceinvader posted:

(admittedly also PS6, but meh)

And also no autothrusters. And no boost. Or double mods.

Edit: Defenders are going to punch hard, though. I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why is TIE/x7 such a "gamebreaker"? It's only a two point reduction and the Defender will still gather dust in plano boxes across the country.

I don;t think its gamebreaking at all, it just makes makes the Defender pretty good. I don't get the 'gamebreaking' talk either. It makes them faster, but not as good up close. Yeah, some of that is negated by the white K turn, but that thing is easy as hell to see coming. It means you will see Defenders sometimes, where as you hardly ever see them now. That, and you have to choose between the X7 and Tidy title.

edit: and most people are likely to not take the X7 title on Vessery or Rexler because keeping the cannon is a good thing on them.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 12, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

I don;t think its gamebreaking at all, it just makes makes the Defender pretty good. I don't get the 'gamebreaking' talk either. It makes them faster, but not as good up close. Yeah, some of that is negated by the white K turn, but that thing is easy as hell to see coming. It means you will see Defenders sometimes, where as you hardly ever see them now. That, and you have to choose between the X7 and Tidy title.

edit: and most people are likely to not take the X7 title on Vessery or Rexler because keeping the cannon is a good thing on them.
What? I don't really get what you're trying to say.
It doesn't make them 'faster' at all, nor does it make them 'worse up close'. It just gives them a huge durability boost while reducing their cost. You aren't going to get it every turn but you're going to get it often enough- again the best moves on a defender's dial are their 3-hard turns and their 4-white-k. You're not going to have to warp the way you fly the ship much.
You're going to see a lot of defenders. The numbers are just too good for them not to. I don't think it's going to break the game at all but it is going to make a huge splash in the metagame.
This isn't even getting into tractor beam Tie/D Vessery, who is going to be a total monster for only 37 (ed. thanks) points (VI+Tractor Beam).

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 12, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sarmhan posted:

It doesn't make them 'faster' at all, nor does it make them 'worse up close'. It just gives them a huge durability boost while reducing their cost. You aren't going to get it every turn but you're going to get it often enough- again the best moves on a defender's dial are their 3-hard turns and their 4-white-k. You're not going to have to warp the way you fly the ship much.
You're going to see a lot of defenders. The numbers are just too good for them not to. I don't think it's going to break the game at all but it is going to make a huge splash in the metagame.
This isn't even getting into tractor beam Tie/D Vessery, who is going to be a total monster for only 34 points (VI+Tractor Beam).

That's 37 points.

Rexler Brath (37)
Juke (2)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Delta Squadron Pilot (30)
Tractor Beam (1)
Stealth Device (3)
TIE/D (0)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Juke (2)
Stealth Device (3)
TIE/x7 (-2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 98

I'm assuming that Double Defender won't be the most viable thing in the world but :shittypop:

You put the tractor beam on your d that shoots last. I'm not fan

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Vessery in particular really synergizes with multiple attacks thanks to his ability. If you're going to take the Tie/D title, Vessery is the obvious candidate.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

It's been awhile since I built an x-wing list, but this looks interesting to me:

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced 29
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers 1
Advanced Targeting Computer 1
TIE/x1 0
Ship Total: 31

Colonel Vessery — TIE Defender 35
Veteran Instincts 1
Tractor Beam 1
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II 1
TIE/D 0
Ship Total: 38

"Omega Leader" — TIE/fo Fighter 21
Juke 2
Comm Relay 3
Stealth Device 3
Ship Total: 29

Thread tracers are a lark, but the gimmick is a couple of unspent target locks for Vessery to take advantage of and use on both his tractor and regular shot. Could be cool. Maybe Vader wants VI, or drop the TIE mk2 and initiative bid to get him engine, but just spitballing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

You put the tractor beam on your d that shoots last. I'm not fan

Yeah, I just realized that Vessery wants the D and VI real bad.

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

Rexler Brath (37)
Juke (2)
TIE/x7 (-2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

I don't feel like Rexler is necessarily the best x7 choice but until we see the other pilots he'll have to do.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

Rexler Brath (37)
Juke (2)
TIE/x7 (-2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

I don't feel like Rexler is necessarily the best x7 choice but until we see the other pilots he'll have to do.

Yeah, with all 3 of them at PS 8, they can all shoot right after that tractor beam. That's a lot of red dice.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I played against someone last night with the Vassary/Tractor combo and it worked very well.

Funnily enough, I also had Vassary, though I had flechettes, using my "locking buddies" list I mentioned above. While I maneuvered well through the asteroids (no hits, came close once, as opposed to my opponent running over an astriod and a debree) overall I didn't maneuver great. I missed a chance to lock with my ZL and he got fried right away. I just couldn't get in close range and got destroyed. My opponent simple maneuvered to have far more attacks than me.

I did nearly kill his Vassary who had 1 HP left, but I missed.

In hindsight, I should have sharp left turned at the beginning and gone for his Vassary which was on my left and tried to cut him off instead of charging forward full speed (my typical 1st move) towards his decimator (it was nearer the middle and I was on the far west side of the board, so not directly, I was hoping to swoop in and come from the side/rear).

I'm not 0-3 in my league (Technically 1-3 I think because of a drop), at last place in my pod. :P

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

sarmhan posted:

This isn't even getting into tractor beam Tie/D Vessery, who is going to be a total monster for only 37 (ed. thanks) points (VI+Tractor Beam).

I meant faster as in tending to move at speed 3-5, and less tight turns up close. It just means that if someone is going for that evade as often as possible, you can kind of predict where they are likely to not be. I wasn't dogging the title at all, just saying I don't think its over-powered or gamebreaking.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Sorry if this is a newbie question that gets asked a lot, but are the official FFG mats a good option? I was also looking at these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/245589368/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-gaming-mat?ref=shop_home_active_6

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Is there every anything that's not a hundred boring rear end points? Like ,150 or 200?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Lump Shaker posted:

Sorry if this is a newbie question that gets asked a lot, but are the official FFG mats a good option? I was also looking at these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/245589368/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-gaming-mat?ref=shop_home_active_6

A 3x3 mat in general is incredibly useful for the sake of having a nice clean and uniform perfectly defined play area. I grabbed a Fantasy Flight one and am happy with it for the ~$35 that it cost. The only real negative is that it's actually a little too smooth meaning stuff is still easily bumped; I know that some of the unofficial mats deliberately have a more textured surface to stop this. Also, I dunno how anal stores actually are about enforcing it, but if I recall correctly if you provide your own mat for a sanctioned thing it's technically supposed to be the official FF ones, so avoiding any kind of conflict in that regard was another reason I just defaulted to it. All of that's probably a non-issue really, so I'd just go for whichever one you think looks the coolest.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kilo147 posted:

Is there every anything that's not a hundred boring rear end points? Like ,150 or 200?

I've played 200 point games with my buddies, but things tend to get a little ridiculous. 100 really is ideal for non-Epic games.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Kilo147 posted:

If you mean game formats, there's nothing stopping you from playing 150 or 200 point games. It's going to take a good deal longer than a 100 points game, but if you set the time aside sure.

I've tried to play 200 point games twice, but we ran out of time both times after playing for a few hours. I would like to someday actually finish a 200 point or even epic game.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kilo147 posted:

Play games with as many or as few space wars points as you want. 100 is just tournament standard and what many people enjoy.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

Rexler Brath (37)
Juke (2)
TIE/x7 (-2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

I have a pretty similar list with Whisper occupying Rexler's spot. I like it well enough. Then again, I'm a sucker for lists that are a little off the beaten path. You should see my Kath Scarlett list...

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Kilo147 posted:

The place near me routinely does non-100 point tournaments to break things up after Store championship season. They've done 150 aces only, escalation, and one where each player had to make one generic ship at (i think) 35 points, and were given 2 generics of their faction (2 Z's for Rebels, 2 TIE fighters for Imperial, and 2 M3-A's for Scum).

They were pretty great for changing things up after some intense championship season stuff.

and then there is Epic, but no one in their right mind plays Epic. I'd love to actually finish an Epic game just once

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

If you mean game formats, there's nothing stopping you from playing 150 or 200 point games. It's going to take a good deal longer than a 100 points game, but if you set the time aside sure.

I've tried to play 200 point games twice, but we ran out of time both times after playing for a few hours. I would like to someday actually finish a 200 point or even epic game.

I've found playing 125 point games, 2 epic points is a pretty good sweet spot for time. We can usually wrap it up in 2 hours at most and lets us get a fair bit more variety in our army lists.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 12, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Are there 1 point epic ships? I can never find a good listing of epic points of ships besides the Tantaive and Transport.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

Are there 1 point epic ships? I can never find a good listing of epic points of ships besides the Tantaive and Transport.

ERrrr 2 points! My bad...

Tantive/Imperial Assault Cruiser are 3 points and the Transport/Gozanti are 2 points.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Took Brobots tonight; ended up facing the same guy who has been running 5 Bombers with Howlrunner. I failed to listen to my own advice of avoiding the initial joust and managed to give them two good rounds of shooting. Should have lead him through the asteroid field instead of being an idiot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kilo147 posted:

There's a format called Escalation where you start with a list that's 60 points, then the second round of play you add 25 points to it to bring it to 85, then the third round you bring it to 100, and the fourth and final round you bring it up to 125.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

There's a format called Escalation where you start with a list that's 60 points, then the second round of play you add 25 points to it to bring it to 85, then the third round you bring it to 100, and the fourth and final round you bring it up to 125.

I just want to use my Gozanti in regular play. Its soooo much fun to use.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

kingcom posted:

I've found playing 125 point games, 2 epic points is a pretty good sweet spot for time. We can usually wrap it up in 2 hours at most and lets us get a fair bit more variety in our army lists.

kingcom posted:

Welp, as a Gozanti owner, who hasn't gotten to use it much (the two previous cut short games), now I know what format I'll try to convince people to play on my next casual game.

kingcom posted:

ERrrr 2 points! My bad...

Tantive/Imperial Assault Cruiser are 3 points and the Transport/Gozanti are 2 points.
Do you have an official source for this? (Besides the Tantaive/Transport which are listed in the Epic rules) I can never find it. Nevermind, it's in the newest version which my search engine doesn't find, I had to go to the FFG site to find it.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 12, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kingcom posted:

Some people play 'Semi-Epic', at either 150 or 200 points.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Some people play 'Semi-Epic', at either 150 or 200 points.

Yeah using the Team-Epic rules but just having 1v1 works well too and isnt particularly time consuming. Just need to get other people to play it more.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, I just realized that Vessery wants the D ... real bad.

Hehehe

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Could also just use defenders to replace the traditional mini swarm in a single-ace list. Same amount of hit points, same amount of defense dice, but you get superior mobility and evasion at the potential cost of attack power (though it depends on the target).

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Tactician (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

TIE/x7 (-2)

TIE/x7 (-2)

Total: 97

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've been abusing x7 deltas but with Vader armed to the dick instead. It's a really good list.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Scum TIEs when

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

kingcom posted:

Scum TIEs when

ugh

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I want to do the opposite of team epic--normal points but each player on the team only gets a single ship, so you have to try and coordinate with your team without giving anything away.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

I want to do the opposite of team epic--normal points but each player on the team only gets a single ship, so you have to try and coordinate with your team without giving anything away.

I did that to teach people how to play and get some people to try it out. It turns into a hilarious clusterfuck to say the least.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I'm going to be doing a team "Furball" tournament this Saturday. 4 teams of 2 on a single field, each player has a single ship, so that's 8 players total.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I did play a tournament where it was 110 points. It was actually really fun.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Foolster41 posted:

I'm going to be doing a team "Furball" tournament this Saturday. 4 teams of 2 on a single field, each player has a single ship, so that's 8 players total.

8 tie fighters all on the same team, versus 1 fat Han.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

hooman posted:

8 tie fighters all on the same team, versus 1 fat Han.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lump Shaker posted:

The official Bespin mat is gorgeous and you should get it.

• Locked thread