Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

I have fifteen runed mummies twice and yes, they are horrible and their early-mid game is a slog to say the least, but if you can grind through it and essentially cheese your way by abusing no hunger and sif channeling, they become hilarious in the late game.

The main reason I dislike mummies is because I don't get any of my precious precious mutations, one of the most fun aspects to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think octopodes are pretty easy in the very early game because constriction is so powerful. They suck right after that.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I need a second opinion: are High Elf Hunters (bow) as godawful as I think they are (early game), or am I just starting them off wrong? I'd honestly rank my odds of getting an ogre to midgame higher.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LordSloth posted:

I need a second opinion: are High Elf Hunters (bow) as godawful as I think they are (early game), or am I just starting them off wrong? I'd honestly rank my odds of getting an ogre to midgame higher.

I can't get high elves to lair most of the time. Unless it's wizard, assassin or berzerker

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

LordSloth posted:

My successful high elves have been ones with a book background that played like slightly less squishy deep elves.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
High elves should always be scalds. Use all dem aptitudes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Salvor_Hardin posted:

High elves should always be scalds. Use all dem aptitudes.

Thats like saying mummies should always be berzerkers. Way to kill yourself right out of the shoot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
MuBe seems fine compared to other mummy starts, actually. You get powerful summons for no experience investment, you get MR++ on demand to prevent nasty confusion situations, you get strong melee-and it's not like mummies can't melee. They're not good at it, but, they're not good at anything, so it's a valid choice. My one mummy win is as a skald.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

MuBe seems fine compared to other mummy starts, actually. You get powerful summons for no experience investment, you get MR++ on demand to prevent nasty confusion situations, you get strong melee-and it's not like mummies can't melee. They're not good at it, but, they're not good at anything, so it's a valid choice. My one mummy win is as a skald.

mummies can't berserk though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, but they can still use the other stuff and trog gifts are not bad.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

MuBe is probably the strongest casual background for a Mummy, just because Trog is that good. MuSu of Sif is also still really good, but requires a lot more effort to play.

I prefer MuCK because I don't get tired of Xomscumming and seeing how long I can gamble on free acquirements before Xom banishes me or deals more fire damage than my max HP.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If you can survive long enough to get some gifts and enough piety to lean on trog abilities that aren't berserk, then I guess it's ok. We're talking about a weak start though.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

MuBe is probably the strongest casual background for a Mummy, just because Trog is that good. MuSu of Sif is also still really good, but requires a lot more effort to play.

I prefer MuCK because I don't get tired of Xomscumming and seeing how long I can gamble on free acquirements before Xom banishes me or deals more fire damage than my max HP.

I think MuNe of Kiku is an underrated background for mummies - they're actually good at necromancy, and a pain branded fast weapon makes for a cheap investment for melee damage. Plus you can actually use Kiku's torment ability which is cool.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
How do I disable weapon autopickups as an unarmed character?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

With lua, conditional options as described under 6-c of the Crawl Options Guide.

... I don't think it does weapon autopickups by default? Are you certain you haven't set up some option already?

Edit: check for autopickup and autopickup_exceptions in your config file

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

jerkstoresup posted:

How do I disable weapon autopickups as an unarmed character?
Are you picking up e.g. tomahawks and throwing weapons or ammo? Use the \ menu.

If you're grabbing random weapons yeah that's a custom configuration, link to your rcfile and maybe someone will figure out what's doing it.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

LordSloth posted:

With lua, conditional options as described under 6-c of the Crawl Options Guide.

... I don't think it does weapon autopickups by default? Are you certain you haven't set up some option already?

Edit: check for autopickup and autopickup_exceptions in your config file

Ah right I'm using HilariousDeathArtist.rc with its autotravel config. Nothing else customized besides keyboard macros. I suppose I'll clone it and start adjusting it.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 11, 2016

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
So I splatted my Octopode and after the glowing review of Ghouls of Pakellas I've been trying that out. I've cleared Lair, Orc, Swamp, and Spider, and I'm not sure where to head next. Elf? Poke into the Depths?

Also I'm currently wearing rElec artifact plate mail and an amulet of regeneration, but I also have rFire plate mail and an Amulet of the Air (and no other source of rF right now, I don't think). Is it worth swapping out the regen and dealing with the inaccuracy ego to try out the Amulet of the Air, or should I just keep rolling along like I have been?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just came across a HEWr ghost who only knows blink. This has to been have done on purpose. It keeps blinking away from me, never attacking.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's...not unsurprising for a Warper. Of their starting book, only two spells qualify for ghost spells, the other being Teleport Other.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

That's...not unsurprising for a Warper. Of their starting book, only two spells qualify for ghost spells, the other being Teleport Other.

If only ghosts could get Apportation and pick up items and use them!

PleasingFungus: FR that. Give it and Tukima's Dance to Maurice also.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Let Warper ghosts use Portal Projectile. They can't throw or shoot things, so they should just be able to cast Teleport Other at range via portal instead.

e: I'm gonna splat a billion Draconian Warpers. Endlessly blinking drain-breathers for everyone!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 12, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

AngryDiplomat, that is pure evil, and I'll hate you from the depths of my heart. If you can, don't forget the distortion weapon. If not that, poison or electric daggers. This is absolutely not something you should do.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Elf has become a pretty good choice for my third rune. It used to take a long while before I got a third rune, I'd do vaults:4 and crypt and depths and etc before choosing slime or V5, but now I can just go to elf and have a sorcerer teleport me to the rune vault. It's real easy, my last rune vault only had 2 blademasters, 2 sorcerers and a smoke demon.

I don't know why the elf rune is called 'abyssal' though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I did not know that! New question, what is a good strength cutoff for OgBe's? I don't just put EVERY stat bonus into STR, do I? At what point should I put points into DEX for some suitability (or do I do that at all)? Just hit level 12 with a base STR of 27.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would probably put every point into dex.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Another Chaos Knight 15 runed :toot:
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1300-g6e8322c (webtiles) character file.

16118134 Xavori the Conqueror (level 27, 159/159 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Chaos Knight on Feb 11, 2016.

Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Feb 12, 2016!

The game lasted 05:27:33 (97377 turns).

Xavori the Conqueror (Gargoyle Chaos Knight)       Turns: 97377, Time: 05:27:33

Health: 159/159    AC: 74    Str: 31      XL:     27
Magic:  26/26      EV: 24    Int: 18 (19) God:    Xom [*.....]
Gold:   10641      SH: 35    Dex: 15      Spells: 7 memorised, 11 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis .    u - +9 eveningstar (freeze)
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    D - +9 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    P - +5 large shield of the Gardener {+Blink +Fly}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    l - +2 hat
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    n - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    J - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    h - +1 pair of boots of Wodaamen {rC+ MR+++ Stlth+}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    K - amulet of regeneration
Stlth  +.........               O - ring of resist corrosion
                                C - ring of Jum Pam {rN+ Int+3}

@: mighty, agile, very slightly contaminated, hasted (expiring), repel missiles,
invisible, very quick, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, very
unstealthy
A: big wings, beak, claws 1, hooves 1, icy blue scales 1, large bone plates 1,
clarity, clever 1, clumsy 2, fire resistance 3, frail 2, low mp 2, magic
resistance 1, negative energy resistance 1, regeneration 1, screaming 1, shaggy
fur 1, electricity resistance, wild magic 3, unbreathing, petrification
resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
gently caress Neqoxecs/Cacodemons forever. Three times this game I autoexplored into one and got malmutated before I could do anything about it. First time it ate my SInv, then the next two were 2 ranks of frail :(

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

I did not know that! New question, what is a good strength cutoff for OgBe's? I don't just put EVERY stat bonus into STR, do I? At what point should I put points into DEX for some suitability (or do I do that at all)? Just hit level 12 with a base STR of 27.

Ogres really have enough Str - unless you feel like doing something silly (OgBe of Chei with all Str), the choice is only all Dex or all Int. For OgBe definitely Dex. The only thing that might change that is finding early GDA, then I'd probably want to check a few combinations in wizmode.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
What is the damage of large rocks based off of? Is it pure strength + throwing skill + fighting, or is it str + dex + skills?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
They have base damage 20, but otherwise the damage is calculated like UC, i.e. 1 point of Throwing adds 1 point of base damage and then a bunch of other calculations happen that scale up the damage, dunno what they are. UC is 3 base damage for reference.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I was trying to look that up and it looks like strength weight weapon property is completely gone?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, which also means dex doesn't matter for that either. Str always means a little more damage and dex always means a little more tohit.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 12, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So now 100% STR goes into increasing weapon damage and 100% DEX goes into increasing weapon accuracy! Still just as opaque how much is affected!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If I'm reading right all weapons get the same bonus from stats, which is (38+1d(Str-11))/39

Stones get half bonus from Throwing skill

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mystery Prize posted:

What is the damage of large rocks based off of? Is it pure strength + throwing skill + fighting, or is it str + dex + skills?
Rock damage property, throwing skill, strength, fighting skill, slaying, and whether you're a shadow or not

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Just 15 runed my first game after an extended break :toot: Question: how do you play literally anything that isn't VSBe?

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Don't know if anyone's reported this yet, but picking up the Elven Rune in Linesprint lists it under the % screen but not the } screen. :iiam:

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Philip Rivers posted:

Just 15 runed my first game after an extended break :toot: Question: how do you play literally anything that isn't VSBe?

Play DECj by magic darting everything you see while training only conjurations until you reach xl3, then memorize dazzling spray and keep conj only until xl5, then memorize battlesphere and train only charms until it is castable. Worship vehumet, use his gifts unless they suck, always rest to full many after fights, use conjuration spells on things until they die. Don't fight orc priests if you can run away. Get some stealth and some Dodge after battlesphere is online. Spellcasting for extra spell levels if you need them.

Run away a lot.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Spray really that much better than Mystic Blast or whatever. I thought Dazzle was a suck rear end debuff for the most part. Also I haven't played much since like 0.11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Spray is pretty good, mystic blast is much better for single target damage, but dazzling spray does decent damage early on, costs less and the debuff can be very helpful if you know how to use it (either use it to enable stabs, or blind someone then run away, it will make it much harder for them to track you. It's not like confusion, where they're pretty much helpless, but it can still be used for escape as long as the thing you're trying to run from isn't already right next to you).

• Locked thread