Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Paycheck 24 and I'm maxed for the year :toot:

That's on top of the pension (best funded public pension in the state) and the retirement health savings plan.

I think after me, the department colleague who contributes the most does like $5,000 a year :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I think I'm experiencing this: https://www.creditkarma.com/article/how-to-overcome-debt-fatigue-828152

I'm not living on ramen and depressed or anything, but being so proactive about paying down debt and realizing it's a couple years before I'll have enough leftover net of taxes and expenses to pay everything off is disheartening sometimes. Other times I'm really excited about it. It's like I'm financially bipolar.

I'm contributing to my net worth at a steady pace. The giant increase is where I replaced a bad car situation with a good situation, although with a large increase in debt. I still have zero regrets about it, though.

Debt has remained constant for the last couple months. It would look a lot nicer, but I took my first and only real vacation this summer and bought a CPA prep course. It's mostly gone on plastic at 0% APR to use cash for my auto loan. I'll be making a $3,000 payment on the 30th. Now that I won't be spending much, I expect that graph to be a lot less sad by the time it captures a full year. On pace to be worthless in 14 months. :pervert:

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

It's amazing how good "I'm worth nothing!" feels when, financially, you've been worth less than that for so long.

It's a grind to be sure but keep up the good work. It really is worth it.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
First in my family to go to college, to graduate, and to generally get out of poverty. Moved from Michigan to Texas in January 2014 and my pay jumped from $30k to $60k. I'm now at $62k~ish before taxes, and that's without side gigs and passive income.

Found out Friday I'm in the right performance tier for a 10% raise this year but that will depend on the department budget, etc etc. Some days I still eat like I'm poor, others I eat like I'm hood rich. If I don't screw around too much, I'll be debt free sometime next summer. One of my big 2016 goals is to publish at least one new puzzle book, even if it's just an eBook, to build my content library for more passive income.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

After carefully tracking my money (thanks, YNAB!), I have about 2.5-3 months living expenses saved up, and am out of credit card debt (after a high of almost $18k in my early 20s - I was young, dumb, and reckless. Be ye not so stupid). My credit score, similarly, is slowly recovering now too. I own my car and live pretty frugally, so now it's tackling my student loans.

Just in time for all this to happen, because it looks like I'm going to be out of a job in 4-6 weeks -- the grant that's been funding my position is up, and it'll be back on the job market for me. I've been madly applying for positions all over.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I think this is actually my favorite graph of mine:

It shows the results of the one aspect of my finances I'm focusing on. Aside from minimum payments on my student loan, zero APR cards, and maxing my HSA, all of my cash is going towards that auto loan. Should take care of it around tax time. If I can keep it running ten to fifteen years (2014 Hyundai with about 3,000 miles) I'll feel okay with spending as much as I did.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
After about 10 interviews since graduating back in May, I finally landed my first real job. I had another offer before the one I took, but the pay was well below market ($22/hr as an aerospace engineer), benefits were a joke, and the work was outside my interest area. I still might have taken it if I hadn't had another interview scheduled a week later for a far better prospect. I didn't get that one, but by then I'd lined up yet another interview with the same company (different division, different location), and got the offer for that one. Feels good now that I can tell any more interview requests that I'm no longer searching.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Hit my house savings goal for the year one month early :cheers:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

TNO posted:

Feels good now that I can tell any more interview requests that I'm no longer searching.

The best feeling.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

gently caress it, i'm killing this bitch off next month in it's entirety, I can handle an extra grand out of savings. Debt free soon except for mortgage! :getin:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
That'll be a good way to start of 2016!

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

Realized today that I get excited for pay day just to be able to budget out the next X amount ahead, and see the charts move in happy directions... not because I care about my bank balance.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

anitsirK posted:

Realized today that I get excited for pay day just to be able to budget out the next X amount ahead, and see the charts move in happy directions... not because I care about my bank balance.

Ha, same here. I forgot it was the 15th, and while I was sitting at a light on the way to work, I realized it was payday and that I'd have enough to transfer to savings between ESPP sales, roommate's rent payments, and a few other inflows of people paying me back some petty cash that I'd have exactly as much extra in my checking account over the usual buffer amount as I'd need to fully fund my Roth IRA for 2016 on Jan 1. So I launched my Mint app and logged in and yelled out "getting paid, muthafuckas!" just to give myself that little confidence boost.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Bitchkrieg posted:

After carefully tracking my money (thanks, YNAB!), I have about 2.5-3 months living expenses saved up, and am out of credit card debt (after a high of almost $18k in my early 20s - I was young, dumb, and reckless. Be ye not so stupid). My credit score, similarly, is slowly recovering now too. I own my car and live pretty frugally, so now it's tackling my student loans.

Just in time for all this to happen, because it looks like I'm going to be out of a job in 4-6 weeks -- the grant that's been funding my position is up, and it'll be back on the job market for me. I've been madly applying for positions all over.

Rollin' by to say that I quit my lovely soul-sucking job last week (Merry Christmas!) and got an offer that same day for a position that pays 2.5 x the salary, full benefits, 401k, and with room for professional growth and development :toot:

I'm moving in two weeks to a new, more exciting city, and my YNAB buffer is keeping my financial life from erupting into chaos during the 6 weeks between jobs.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Were you expecting the new offer, or did you suddenly pull the eject handle on the current job and accidentally stumble into another one? If you had an offer on the way, I'm surprised you didn't wait to get that in hand before quitting the first job.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

Were you expecting the new offer, or did you suddenly pull the eject handle on the current job and accidentally stumble into another one? If you had an offer on the way, I'm surprised you didn't wait to get that in hand before quitting the first job.

I was cautiously optimistic about an offer but did not have it when I quit.

My old job was bad to the point where I couldn't sleep, was moody/anxious all the time, etc. The prospect of being unemployed was nothing compared to walking into the office one more day. I've worked poo poo jobs -- waitstaff, retail -- but this position was a whole other level of toxic.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bitchkrieg posted:

I was cautiously optimistic about an offer but did not have it when I quit.

My old job was bad to the point where I couldn't sleep, was moody/anxious all the time, etc. The prospect of being unemployed was nothing compared to walking into the office one more day. I've worked poo poo jobs -- waitstaff, retail -- but this position was a whole other level of toxic.

There was a dude in the IT thread that was verbally abused and yelled at when he put in his notice. Escaping a bad job is crucial

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I'm starting the new year off right, with a positive net worth finally. I'm hoping to get my student loans paid off completely this year now that I have a higher paying job and a second job providing a little extra income, but it's still about 12k in student debt. Well see.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I'm starting the new year off right, with a positive net worth finally. I'm hoping to get my student loans paid off completely this year now that I have a higher paying job and a second job providing a little extra income, but it's still about 12k in student debt. Well see.

That's awesome. I'm hoping by about November I will be positive, finally ;)

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

anitsirK posted:

That's an AMAZING feeling! :)

My contribution: After realizing that I spent a shameful amount of money on food/tea last year (25% of my budget), I challenged myself to only eat out this year if I'm with other people. I've only eaten out once since Monday--on NYE with my boyfriend. I was worried this would be really difficult, but I already am starting to enjoy cooking and eating healthier food at home.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just did some 2016 start net worth calcs and found that I'm nearly 6-figures net worth at 27. Student loans were aggressively paid off thanks to a lucrative work assignment, the cars are paid off and my 401k survived decently over the last year. Not to mention that this is the same year I moved cross-country, bought a house, replaced all the major 15+ year old appliances and managed to keep a healthy 6-month emergency reserve with zero debt aside from the mortgage. Additionally, I managed to snag a promotion at work that came with a 12% raise and a potential extra 2% in the next couple of weeks.

I totally realize this is a humblebrag but I'm truly excited for the first time about where I sit financially and professionally. Here's to a happy 2016 where I can do the things I want to this 20 year old house and cash all of it!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Higgy posted:

I totally realize this is a humblebrag
This is the thread for braggy brags, not humble brags. Take that modesty and get the hell out of here!

j/k, congrats on the big milestone!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of student loans...

Hey Navient/Sallie Mae, guess what?

Go

gently caress

Yourself!

(Another 18k loan with a higher interest rate was paid off early 2013)

Now debt free except for mortgage! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

devmd01 posted:

Speaking of student loans...

Hey Navient/Sallie Mae, guess what?

Go

gently caress

Yourself!

(Another 18k loan with a higher interest rate was paid off early 2013)

:hellyeah: Nice work!

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw

devmd01 posted:

Inspired me to take a chunk of my savings and do the same yesterday. Debt free 2016!!!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
For the past year I've been adding additional principle payments to my mortgage every month. My original loan terms were $203K with a fixed rate 30 year mortgage at 6.75% in 2009. I financed way too much of the value of the home.

In August the monthly interest finally got down into 3 figures.

Today I did the math and if I went to just minimum payments today, I should be paying it off in 13 years, 5 months. In the past year I knocked over 10 years off the life of the loan. If I can sustain double payments I can clear it in 5 years. I got the mortgage when I was making just a tad over 50% of what I earn now, and have been adding between 66% and 100% of my minimum payments in principle reduction instead of blowing it on frivolous consumer goods.

:feelsgood:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

For the past year I've been adding additional principle payments to my mortgage every month. My original loan terms were $203K with a fixed rate 30 year mortgage at 6.75% in 2009. I financed way too much of the value of the home.

In August the monthly interest finally got down into 3 figures.

Today I did the math and if I went to just minimum payments today, I should be paying it off in 13 years, 5 months. In the past year I knocked over 10 years off the life of the loan. If I can sustain double payments I can clear it in 5 years. I got the mortgage when I was making just a tad over 50% of what I earn now, and have been adding between 66% and 100% of my minimum payments in principle reduction instead of blowing it on frivolous consumer goods.

:feelsgood:

Did/Do you not have enough equity to refinance? That's a pretty turd sandwich rate. We went from 5.75% in 2009 (30 yr) to 3.375% (15yr) in 2013 and our payment only went up ~$80/mo (which was a wash since we had been putting $100 towards principal each month on the 30yr).

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Moneyball posted:

I think this is actually my favorite graph of mine:

It shows the results of the one aspect of my finances I'm focusing on. Aside from minimum payments on my student loan, zero APR cards, and maxing my HSA, all of my cash is going towards that auto loan. Should take care of it around tax time. If I can keep it running ten to fifteen years (2014 Hyundai with about 3,000 miles) I'll feel okay with spending as much as I did.

What are you using to make that graph?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Rocks posted:

What are you using to make that graph?

Looks like YNAB to me.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Did/Do you not have enough equity to refinance? That's a pretty turd sandwich rate. We went from 5.75% in 2009 (30 yr) to 3.375% (15yr) in 2013 and our payment only went up ~$80/mo (which was a wash since we had been putting $100 towards principal each month on the 30yr).

Around 83% ltv. When I get solidly under 80 I'll refinance with my credit union for a fixed fifteen, and should be lowering my minimum payments assuming rates don't hike significantly.

I try to help people not make the same bad with money mistake I did in the house thread.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I guess it's sort of an achievement that markets taking a huge dump affected my paper net worth by like $25k :v:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Started 2015 with ~$75k in debt (student loans for me and my spouse plus car loan), starting 2016 with ~$45k. Paid off $30k in debt while saving ~$10k and we're on track to be debt-free by this time next year. Feels good man!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
When my wife quit working to have our son, and stayed home, I thought it was going to be awful on our finances.

Today our net worth hit $100k :unsmith:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

CelestialScribe posted:

When my wife quit working to have our son, and stayed home, I thought it was going to be awful on our finances.

Today our net worth hit $100k :unsmith:

Congrats! We were hoping to hit that this year and would be able to even if the market stayed flat, but with the big dive to start the year we may not get there til sometime in 2017. Oh well v:shobon:v

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Got another small bill paid off (Only 66 a month), and got a 5/hr raise (Moved into a new role). :woop:

Had another kid :negative:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
In P2P lending I've finally crossed the line for making $1k net and reinvesting it. It's taking 16 months from the start and slowly investing $10k over that time. The number of charged off loans set this goal back a couple of months.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
We got our tax return today (which was way too much) and it's been blissfully boring trying to figure out what to do with the money.

I very much credit YNAB and just better overall planning in general to being at the point where we're like "Uhhhh, so what do we do with this extra month of income? Save it, I guess?" There is nothing that we immediately need, and one really expensive medical mistake has already been budgeted and saved for so it's just uninspired "Extra money to all YNAB savings categories" kind of thing. It's glorious.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Over the past five years, I've rebuilt my credit from absolutely horrible to 740, gotten two emergency credit cards (I use one simply for cashback rewards and pay it off at the end of the week,) and I'll have my private student loan paid off by the end of the year. It's so awesome.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good day today.

6.78% Raise
14% Bonus

Really can't complain right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I've been beating myself up for scheduling a SCUBA trip and also agreeing to visit Los Angeles with my sister. While I'm still clearly an impulse spender, at least I have made a great improvement in terms of food spending:

The first column is how much I spent on food in that month last year, and the second column is this year's spending. I used to be really bad about eating out, and I was definitely an emotional eater so any time I was stressed I would get some fast food or sushi. Now I spend a lot on groceries. I only have to lose roughly 20-30 more pounds before I'm at my goal weight, so I buy lots of fresh vegetables, baked chicken, diet-versions of chocolates and sodas. I know I should just cut out the chocolates entirely and I should really switch out the diet sodas for tap water, but it keeps me from eating regular chocolates and sweets in the office, and the diet sodas keep me from drinking alcohol (which tends to lead to spending, eating out, etc) at social/work functions. I was really beating myself up about this, but I feel like the improvement in food spending is really great so I should at least keep going and trying to reduce where I can.

Something I tried in February was only going to the grocery store every two weeks. I noticed this really encouraged me to eat fewer of my diet chocolates and drink less soda. I kind of fell off that wagon at the end of February, but I think I should experiment with that again in March.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 3, 2016