Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

someone photoshop a stone haven outfitter or weapons trainer with 6 bone saws tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Elyv posted:

someone photoshop a stone haven outfitter or weapons trainer with 6 bone saws tia

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's everything I ever wanted, thank you

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If I'm stupid enough to play the Gauntlet thing I shouldn't be salty it assigns me Burn, yet again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

If I'm stupid enough to play the Gauntlet thing I shouldn't be salty it assigns me Burn, yet again.

Honestly it sounds like a really reasonable approximation for what Modern is at this point in time

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly it sounds like a really reasonable approximation for what Modern is at this point in time

Match was 10 minutes long. The sequence was drop dudes turn 1 and 2, then just drop a three burn spells for the win. It's not interesting in any way. It's barely even Magic; its just stupid Spike poo poo that wins tournaments sometimes. I mean, it doesn't even have the amusement level that Turn 2 Emrakul swinging has. It's just outright dumb.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Match was 10 minutes long. The sequence was drop dudes turn 1 and 2, then just drop a three burn spells for the win. It's not interesting in any way. It's barely even Magic; its just stupid Spike poo poo that wins tournaments sometimes.

And it's one of the top ~5 best decks in the format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Match was 10 minutes long. The sequence was drop dudes turn 1 and 2, then just drop a three burn spells for the win. It's not interesting in any way. It's barely even Magic; its just stupid Spike poo poo that wins tournaments sometimes. I mean, it doesn't even have the amusement level that Turn 2 Emrakul swinging has. It's just outright dumb.

Whoa hey man don't talk bad about burn or you'll have a bunch of people yelling at you about things like sequencing that are irrelevant 99% of the time anyway.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
playing the modern gauntlet and of course Naya Burn with Goyf is 4-0 after I was having lots of fun trying Goryobrand for the first time. Of course my sideboard had 4x Leyline for some godawful reason instead of something useful like removal

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
came back for more, got saddled with Izzet Eldrazi which was hilarious because my first opponent was running the UR control list with Pia & Kiran, Batterskull, and four mainboard Blood Moon. They never missed a drop :shepicide:

(still won bc Reality Smasher is loving aces)

Four Score fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 12, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How much play did Madness see when it was last around? Did people build decks around it?

I've started to wonder if they would reprint LotV in Eldritch Moon. It's a bit daft but I noticed she's in the same outfit she wore for the card in the promo art for the set. She'd be nuts with Madness. Don't know how I'd feel about it, it would devalue my playset, but I'd have a playset of the best card in standard day one.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

How much play did Madness see when it was last around? Did people build decks around it?

I've started to wonder if they would reprint LotV in Eldritch Moon. It's a bit daft but I noticed she's in the same outfit she wore for the card in the promo art for the set. She'd be nuts with Madness. Don't know how I'd feel about it, it would devalue my playset, but I'd have a playset of the best card in standard day one.

Wild Mongrel was better than Siege Rhino

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

A big flaming stink posted:

Wild Mongrel was better than Siege Rhino

It didn't see much play in TIME SPIRAL :smuggo:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Losing the lottery with the Gauntlet is getting that piece of poo poo Abzan deck, which doesn't even have two basic plains to cast Archangel of Thune out of a Blood Moon (hope that for your Bird/Hierarch they don't have Bolt/Electrolyze/Anger/Snapcaster/Izzet Staticaster loving lol!!!) And if you do get out Archangel? Cryptic/Burst Lightning kicked!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

UG Madness was dope and the first "budget" Standard deck I can remember, as a lot of the deck was commons and uncommons (Mongrel, Basking Rootwalla, Arrogant Wurm, Roar of the Wurm, Circular Logic etc.) The only rares I can remember going into the deck were Call of the Herd (a chase rare in its day) and Spellbane Centaur. And it was one of the decks to beat back then!

The Magic of my youth was a simpler time indeed.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

C-Euro posted:

UG Madness was dope and the first "budget" Standard deck I can remember, as a lot of the deck was commons and uncommons (Mongrel, Basking Rootwalla, Arrogant Wurm, Roar of the Wurm, Circular Logic etc.) The only rares I can remember going into the deck were Call of the Herd (a chase rare in its day) and Spellbane Centaur. And it was one of the decks to beat back then!

The Magic of my youth was a simpler time indeed.

The deck's survived pretty much intact in Pauper

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

A lot. UG madness was (along with Psychatog) a format-defining deck, both during standard and extended. The shell was:

Enablers:
4x Wild Mongrel
4x Aquamoeba

Madness cards:
4x Basking Rootwalla
4x Arrogant Wurm
4x Circular Logic

Other:
2x Wonder

Then you can add Roar of the Wurm or Careful Study or whatever to mix.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
How does madness play with end of turn discard? Does it go on the stack during my opponent's upkeep?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You play it during the clean up step, and then the clean up step starts over again. The same way triggered abilities are put onto the stack that begin at the end of your turn.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

In the spirit of LSV, I drafted a deck with 4 Bone Saws today.

went 1-2, but got a Thought Knot Seer so whatever

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
OK whoever said Eye of Ugin was the more broken land in the Eldrazi deck was right. Sigh.... I guess Tron is gonna get the splash ban.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
LSV is a national treasure.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
LSV and Marsh Hulk are basically the only Magic personalities I don't find off-putting in some way or another.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If you guys haven't watched LSV's latest stream, go watch it in his past broadcasts. He drafts that sick 6-Saw deck, and then calls Owen in for some...unusual opinions. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

OK whoever said Eye of Ugin was the more broken land in the Eldrazi deck was right. Sigh.... I guess Tron is gonna get the splash ban.

I can't believe it took you almost a week to actually listen to the opinion of literally every other poster in this thread (and probably everywhere else too) about this.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cernunnos posted:

I can't believe it took you almost a week to actually listen to the opinion of literally every other poster in this thread (and probably everywhere else too) about this.

I sure can.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cernunnos posted:

For McMagic, this forum has always been a write-only medium.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cernunnos posted:

I had to play with the deck myself.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

lol

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

I had to play with the deck myself.

Yeah the thing is, when you play the deck, you realize Temple only ever taps for 2 mana. Once you're casting multiple spells in a turn Eye is generating 4 or 6 mana, which goes beyond Ancient Tomb and into like, Gaea's Cradle-level stupid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That being said, banning Temple DOES nerf the deck a lot.. I'm just not sure it nerfs it enough.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eye of Ugin is more powerful but at the same time Eldrazi Temple is almost certainly enough of a hit to the deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Or you could just ban Eye of Ugin

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

rabidsquid posted:

Or you could just ban Eye of Ugin

Why? It doesn't even tap for mana

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they'll try to avoid splash damage from bannings if they can.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think they'll try to avoid splash damage from bannings if they can.

The solution would be to ban Temple and restrict eye but they don't do that in modern.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

The solution would be to ban Temple and restrict eye but they don't do that in modern.

There's no reason why they couldn't start.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
To be honest Tron could afford to take a hit. Losing Eye maybe might let a control deck actually exist, except for all the other reasons why control decks don't exist.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Count Bleck posted:

There's no reason why they couldn't start.

I brought it up once and everyone called me a Yugioh loving dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I haven't heard a good argument for not banning Eye other than people who play Tron, and I don't think it's a compelling argument.

• Locked thread