Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drythe posted:

So, last night Patton won a game for us even though he was dead in the next few hits. He did this by causing an ammo explosion on the enemy's CT, making it go boom, which in turn blew up his engine. If he hadn't stored ammo in his CT they would have won the game.

Though not Patton, this is what can happen when you have CT ammo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Supraluminal posted:

Ammo in torso sections is risky because the ammo can be critted and explode as soon as the armor is gone on that section. As far as I know engines aren't affected by damage until a torso section is fully destroyed, so by putting ammo in there you're basically risking giving up on all the structure HP.

Obviously ammo exploding anywhere is bad, but generally the head and legs are the safest places for it. People don't often intentionally go for legs (except on lights), and in any case if something is going to get blown up a leg is better than a torso section.

Another good image to bring up:

That is the order ammo is consumed in a mech, starting from 1.

:siren:Warning, dumb fiddly poo poo ahead:siren:

This means that your head isn't a terrible place to put ammo because it will be consumed first, and while that logic might apply to CT storage as well, until 5 tons of ammo are required to be stored (1 in the head, 2 in each leg), we most certainly shouldn't even consider it (heads are generally difficult to hit and their low hit points mean that if it were to be exposed you're more likely to die from the shot that caused a crit than the explosion anyways). Let's say we have to store 7 tons of ammo, though. If we stored the remaining two tons in the CT, we need to be drat sure that ammo is used up before that section is exposed, because if it isn't the damage from the crit will most likely blow us up. For example, if you had a ton of ac/20 ammo there, if it exploded unused it would deal 140 damage to your CT, which is more than any mech has for CT structure HP. If we instead put the two tons in our arms, it would still receive consumption priority over our legs, and if it does explode so long as we don't have an XL engine it is very possible that we could survive it, depending on badly we're damaged (ammo explosions deal damage to that section first, and then travel inwards toward the CT dealing structure damage until there is none remaining to deal). However, if you're in an atlas and half decent at torso twisting, putting it in your arms means it will be under fire first, be more likely to explode and damage your side torsos badly, or at the very best fall off when the arm does and result in losing most of your available ammo. It's easy not to worry about it because it's hard to see how bad placement effects you, but it will matter sometimes.

This is another reason why lasers are preferred in a lot of mechs, as none of this poo poo applies. Similarly, SRMs tend consume ammo quickly enough that any extra tonnage outside the head/arms will be consumed before those sections are exposed, and LRMboats are generally screwed if they're in a position where they have exposed structure anyways. This is also why C.A.S.E. for IS mechs is almost entirely pointless, because either the ammo exploded in your arms/legs and would have likely stopped at the side torso anyways, or you stored ammo in your side torso and lost that half of your mech anyways.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Here's how big the rifleman is BTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgFH4pZFvzk

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
There isn't a single rifle on that thing. I call shenanigans.

E: can someone critique this build. It's almost there, but something seems missing.
BOUNTY HUNTER II

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 11, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

veedubfreak posted:

E: can someone critique this build. It's almost there, but something seems missing.
BOUNTY HUNTER II

You had free slots left in it - I fixed it for you.
BOUNTY HUNTER II - Improved

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Why wait for the enemy to kill you when you can do it yourself?

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

A.o.D. posted:

Why wait for the enemy to kill you when you can do it yourself?

This made me remember my favorite MWO video ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrA6djaVm1g

I don't even know if you can do that poo poo anymore, but there you go.

Here's my Dumb Dad from the previous page. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=92&l=73456fb5fdce115bee061192fc4b2606d5f6bfe8

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
In case it hasn't been posted here is this weekends challenge http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/02/1478-valentines-weekend-challenge

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Been playing this game to hit the MechWarrior craving I have been getting. I have to say I am enjoying it so far. Would be interested in joining GIRL. My in game name is Ramba Ral von Franco.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ramba Ral posted:

Been playing this game to hit the MechWarrior craving I have been getting. I have to say I am enjoying it so far. Would be interested in joining GIRL. My in game name is Ramba Ral von Franco.

Casval Rem Deikun is gonna kick your rear end!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TeeMerk posted:

In case it hasn't been posted here is this weekends challenge http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/02/1478-valentines-weekend-challenge

:stare:

Is that firestarter trying to gently caress the forklift?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

kingcom posted:

:stare:

Is that firestarter trying to gently caress the forklift?

I think it already did.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Don't you shame the firestarter for finding its true love.

Those loading cranes have actuators for days.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

I have definitely launched in a heavy with a pair of small pulse lasers because someone yelled at me to ready up in a group and I immediately did so while forgetting to save my mech lab build. So this could be an accident.

It probably isn't.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Ok, i think i can do all of those excluding hero mechs.
And ill have to whore myself to someone for private matches i guess.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
btw you guys seen those?
http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/02/1477-sweet-deals-mc-2

Cant check ingame to see how much of a deal "free" mastery packs actually are.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Mastery pack cash prices are here.

https://mwomercs.com/store/gifts

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Turns out i cant check the shop either.

On the other hand i didnt exactly plan dropping 100 bucks anyways, so its kinda moot what they throw in for that.
I might finally go for mechbays though, and id get an urbie horn on top :3:

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Yolomon Wayne posted:

btw you guys seen those?
http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/02/1477-sweet-deals-mc-2

Cant check ingame to see how much of a deal "free" mastery packs actually are.

Considering how ridiculously overpriced all of those packs are for what should be a micro transaction that's probably a decent sized bonus. You would still have to be mostly insane to consider it anything but a charitable donation to PGI though.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Iunno, 7$ for 4 mechbays sounds pretty great. in addition to even more mechbays whenever they go on sale again.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

TheParadigm posted:

Iunno, 7$ for 4 mechbays sounds pretty great. in addition to even more mechbays whenever they go on sale again.

I could be wrong but I think you only get the reward associated with the phase you purchased it in. I also have no idea why mechbays are even a part of this game, just let people buy mechs without other crap!!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I could be wrong but I think you only get the reward associated with the phase you purchased it in. I also have no idea why mechbays are even a part of this game, just let people buy mechs without other crap!!

Youre right, you only get the reward from the phase in which you purchase, but you can purchase again in the next phase. Or the same phase if so you like.

I thought id be waiting for a mechbay sale, but i cant resist warhorns, so imma dump 15 bucks on 11 mechbays and the urbanhorn.
Ive sunk enough hours into game this to justify this purchase to myself while crying myself to sleep.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Since I am in Australia I don't get to play with WoL all that often. I usually have to painfully grind out the CW mech bays with pubbies. Some house pubbies and units are ok, but man the FRR units and pubbies are pants making GBS threads retards. These guys make your average MWO pubbie look like some kind of mech god.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Best time for CW is the weekend. US Friday & Saturday nights / Australian Saturday & Sunday afternoons ( 14:00 til 17:00 AEST ). There's at least one if not two full CW groups in mumble at theses times and if you hang around in channel for a match folks will generalky rotate and free up a slot for you to join. Everyone is in a pretty good mood because the Americans are generally several drinks in and we antipodeans are approaching cocktail hour. Sometimes people are too busy shooting the poo poo to pay too much attention to the game ( this is not a complaint by the way ), but a lot of the opponents we'll drop against are pretty terrible so it's almost always in our favour.

Weekend CW is a hella good time.

AEST Weeknights have always been problematic, but there a small number of semi regular Australian & American night owl players who will check mumble frequently to see if anyone else is playing before committing to an evening of MWO - you won't see any CW action during this time however.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 12, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ZombyDog posted:

Best time for CW is the weekend. US Friday & Saturday nights / Australian Saturday & Sunday afternoons ( 14:00 til 17:00 AEST ). There's at least one if not two full CW groups in mumble at theses times and if you hang around in channel for a match folks will generalky rotate and free up a slot for you to join. Everyone is in a pretty good mood because the Americans are generally several drinks in and we antipodeans are approaching cocktail hour. Sometimes people are too busy shooting the poo poo to pay too much attention to the game ( this is not a complaint by the way ), but a lot of the opponents we'll drop against are pretty terrible so it's almost always in our favour.

Weekend CW is a hella good time.

AEST Weeknights have always been problematic, but there a small number of semi regular Australian & American night owl players who will check mumble frequently to see if anyone else is playing before committing to an evening of MWO - you won't see any CW action during this time however.

I joined clan wolf so you guys should get with the party and get in here, tons of CW tonight. We won every match and I made 5 million cbills and got to rank 3. Dropdeck of 3 hellbringers and a ebon jag all with laservomit builds is just unstoppable. We didn't lose a single game. There are two wolf clans that do pretty frequent CW and welcome outsiders.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

I joined clan wolf so you guys should get with the party and get in here, tons of CW tonight. We won every match and I made 5 million cbills and got to rank 3. Dropdeck of 3 hellbringers and a ebon jag all with laservomit builds is just unstoppable. We didn't lose a single game. There are two wolf clans that do pretty frequent CW and welcome outsiders.

gently caress i just joined bears last night to get to rank 2.
in the meantime, are there any plans to "reset" the map?
The clans look basically wiped out.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Yolomon Wayne posted:

gently caress i just joined bears last night to get to rank 2.
in the meantime, are there any plans to "reset" the map?
The clans look basically wiped out.

I think ms and 228 are doing it just to prove to pgi how their map and game mode suck.

Washout fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 12, 2016

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'd bet on a map reset with CW Phase 3

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Washout posted:

I think ms and 228 and doing it just to prove to pgi how their map and game mode suck.

Seriously goon CW is never going to be a thing, anyone who wants to do it should give serious thought to coming and hanging out with MS who generally seem to be *chill dudes* and cool to hang out with.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
What do you guys think of my mech? TBR-S

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

I don't know if it's a good value, but it's a much better deal than the free mech bay when you spend 90 dollars worth of MC deal they were offering a few weeks ago.

Kurzon posted:

You've got a 16% slower rate of fire on all your guns, and your beam burn times are all 16% longer. You also torso twist slower than an atlas. Lookin' good!

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 12, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

A huginn is $11

Holy moley

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Can I get an invite to the goon unit? I think i got missed before :( my in-game name is nonesuch and I don't mind which unit

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I tried making a laser boat out of my S. I wouldn't... Or I would when they remove negative quirks from clan mechs.

But that's pretty garbage. :(

Also the Black Knight is... Ok. It's hard points are in really inopportune locations but it can mount a poo poo ton of pulses with a Standard in it. You can shoot lasers out of your belt buckle into light mech face.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Reduce your prices by half and I would buy so much random crap, pgi

TheFlippantHam
Mar 28, 2007

YOSPOS
So i picked up the Maruader Pack. Tell me how not to poo poo fit my new robutts.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Timbers don't really make great laser boats. They make excellent SRM/spl boats though.
TBR-S

You can put a D on your right shoulder (:giggidy:) for 1/2 ton more ammo instead of JJ if you prefer.

TBR-S

Nevermind, just use the 2nd one.

Also, the lasers are only for if you know you have a clear buttshot. Otherwise the missiles are your main weapon.

Why the hell won't :pgi: show the rewards for the event?

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 12, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

veedubfreak posted:

Timbers don't really make great laser boats. They make excellent SRM/spl boats though.
TBR-S

You can put a D on your right shoulder (:giggidy:) for 1/2 ton more ammo instead of JJ if you prefer.

TBR-S

Nevermind, just use the 2nd one.

Also, the lasers are only for if you know you have a clear buttshot. Otherwise the missiles are your main weapon.

Why the hell won't :pgi: show the rewards for the event?

TBR-S

Could go even higher on the DPS scale for only a 3% drop in heat balance.

Bah, beat me to it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I like my timbwolf because I can pretend it's my stormcrow but with 2 machine guns and an extra pulse laser :dance:

ZenVulgarity posted:

Reduce your prices by half and I would buy so much random crap, pgi

i wanna paint my mechs stupid colours but it's so expensive it's dumb

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

I like my timbwolf because I can pretend it's my stormcrow but with 2 machine guns and an extra pulse laser :dance:

i wanna paint my mechs stupid colours but it's so expensive it's dumb

The good old way of thinking EVERY SINGLE f2p game has.
"if we made colors/decals/hats 1 dollar, wed be rich. but if we made them 10 dollars, wed be 10 TIMES AS RICH!!!!"
No you wont, cause almost nobody is going to buy poo poo if its overpriced.

• Locked thread