Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

http://imgur.com/gallery/koU6w

Why do people use Imgur as a diary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

because triumphant, meme-filled diary entries add to your internet score.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

because triumphant, meme-filled diary entries add to your internet score.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

cash crab posted:

People do this all the time with social media. When your identity is well known and all your friends can see it, it usually ends up being very boring diary posts, like Facebook. The more anonymous you get, the more personal the entries get, until you get to places like 4chan where people are admitting real life violence and dark sexual urges every day. Imgur is....in the middle somewhere?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

cash crab posted:

Who in their right mind would want to use the internet to get things off their chest and possibly receive advice?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Again, why do people use Imgur as a diary?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You're just proving your point there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plan Z posted:

Ugh, the guy's shirt still matters to these people:

The best is finding teenagers who say "in the real world, you are able to wear whatever you want to work without someone bitching at you."

The really loving stupid thing about this is both are completely misrepresented.

Slut Walks are not about women being allowed to wear whatever they want whenever they want, its to wear what they want and not be harassed by men and told that they're responsible for their rape by dressing provocatively.

The anger over the dudes shirt came from STEM jobs are very hostile to women in many cases, and over all many women are not choosing to go into them because they are so heavily male dominated. Most STEM employers have been trying to make it more welcoming to women, but this guys shirt was just a symbol of the all boys club that these kinds of places are seen. Plus that shirt was offensive becuase its not appropriate wear. Having loving hentai on your shirt is just loving gross.

Thing is, the guy apologized and admitted that the shirt was a poor choice, but the MRAs hold it up as a symbol of FEMINISM GONE WILD! WOMEN ARE TRYING TO PUNISH MEN FOR BEING MEN!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's not surprising at all but it's really gross whenever someone the alt-right worships tacitly admits that they did something stupid/lovely and yet their supporters can't muster the bare minimum self-awareness to challenge their own assumptions.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

One of my friends tried defending that man and his choice of shirt. He knew he was going to be on tv, and yet he still put on his disgusting hentai shirt. He should have been fired for even bringing it to his workplace, yet alone consciously deciding to wear it on a day he knew he was going to be interviewed on tv.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it takes a lot more than wearing a dumb shirt to get fired from NASA

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it takes a lot more than wearing a dumb shirt to get fired from NASA

Yeah probably, but the kind of dude who wears a poo poo like that to his job is probably going to be gross in many other ways.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah probably, but the kind of dude who wears a poo poo like that to his job is probably going to be gross in many other ways.

He's basically walking around advertising that he jerks off to cartoons. I don't want to know what anyone I work with jerks it to.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
It was a piss ugly shirt but ya'll makin it sound like he was walking around in a loli shirt where she's going "n-not so rough, onii-chan~!". It was more like 80's era sci-fi/action girls in leather with guns, not even good spank material.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

It's not surprising at all but it's really gross whenever someone the alt-right worships tacitly admits that they did something stupid/lovely and yet their supporters can't muster the bare minimum self-awareness to challenge their own assumptions.

In this particular case, I see a lot of posts about how the mean feminazis literally harassed him to tears (something no man should ever have to go through, as men don't cry) and that the apology was the only way to make them stop. Even if it wasn't sincere. Which it wasn't. Because he shouldn't have had to apologize. This is what people actually believe.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Je suis fatigue posted:

It was a piss ugly shirt but ya'll makin it sound like he was walking around in a loli shirt where she's going "n-not so rough, onii-chan~!". It was more like 80's era sci-fi/action girls in leather with guns, not even good spank material.

You're right; if he had only selected his sexier naked cartoon girl shirt the problem could have been easily resolved and his professionalism would not be in question.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dogfish posted:

You're right; if he had only selected his sexier naked cartoon girl shirt the problem could have been easily resolved and his professionalism would not be in question.

Don't be dense.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Je suis fatigue posted:

As nose art, or as an actual picture that'd be fine. But as clothes it seems a bit much.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Don't be dense.

Je suis fatigue posted:

not even good spank material.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

^^^ hehe woops i made a joke on comedy website forums

Dogfish posted:

I left out the end of my original post where i said it should never been worn in public for some reason I dont know why i did that.

My general point though is it was kind of a non-issue beyond the outrage at outrage from MRA types. He wore a really gross shirt, got called out on it an apologized, and that should have been the end of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That shirt is hilarious.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Je suis fatigue posted:

I left out the end of my original post where i said it should never been worn in public for some reason I dont know why i did that.

My general point though is it was kind of a non-issue beyond the outrage at outrage from MRA types. He wore a really gross shirt, got called out on it an apologized, and that should have been the end of it.

I agree with you.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That shirt is hilarious.

I don't agree with you.

edit: Actually I do agree that the shirt itself is hilarious and I would probably love it if one of my friends wore it to a BBQ. Wearing it to a press conference is not, however, hilarious.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Je suis fatigue posted:

What was sad was that it was created specifically for him by a friend of his. Who is a woman far more awkward and ugly than Dr. Taylor will ever be.

http://www.ellyprizeman.com/

She even made a hoodie based off the gamergate waifu mouthpiece Vivian James.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dogfish posted:

I agree with you.

I don't agree with you.

edit: Actually I do agree that the shirt itself is hilarious and I would probably love it if one of my friends wore it to a BBQ. Wearing it to a press conference is not, however, hilarious.

Oh I agree. It wasn't appropriate at all for a professional press conference, but like you said, at a BBQ/pool party it would be a hit.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Je suis fatigue posted:

So just to clarify, what makes these women "anime"? Because I'm really not seeing it.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh I agree. It wasn't appropriate at all for a professional press conference, but like you said, at a BBQ/pool party it would be a hit.

I freely admit that I own, and make things out of, lots of weird fabric, including endless rows of corn on the cob and sexy firemen (that one was a gift for my very best pal, who now has an apron made of half-naked dudes). But yes, just like there are some jokes that you shouldn't tell at work, there are some shirts that should never leave the home.

(To clarify, the corn on the cob and sexy firemen are different patterns. Although now I have a great idea for a new fabric design!)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kay Kessler posted:

So just to clarify, what makes these women "anime"? Because I'm really not seeing it.

Nothing, people are dumb.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

What was sad was that it was created specifically for him by a friend of his. Who is a woman far more awkward and ugly than Dr. Taylor will ever be.

Haha oh man. When this story was all over the place the most I saw was "um actually his girlfriend made it, therefore it's okay to wear". I wonder if she's actually an awful person or just saw an easy way to make some money?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Realtalk though; the issue isn't that his outfit is "unprofessional" or ugly, it's that it's heavily reinforcing the "boy's club" mentality of STEM professions, and AFAIK he just tried to be funny without thinking of the implications and admitted that it was dumb and shortsighted after being confronted about it. :shrug:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Hahaha $140 for a replica poo poo that you could find hidden on the back row of a Wal-Mart for $5. Gotta hand it too her, she probably made a killing selling those to guys who wanted to try and "troll feminists".

Edit: I'm leaving the typo in.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Realtalk though; the issue [is] that it's heavily reinforcing the "boy's club" mentality of STEM professions, and AFAIK he just tried to be funny without thinking of the implications and admitted that it was dumb and shortsighted after being confronted about it. :shrug:

I agree with you about this part but I also think that presenting yourself publicly without thinking about the implications of how you do so is pretty unprofessional. Like, as a woman (a woman who works in science, even!) I 100% agree that this event was a great window into the boy's club that is still a huge problem in science, but also I was definitely judging him for his poor professional judgment so I don't totally understand your scare quotes around "unprofessional." Wearing a Hawaiian shirt with semi-nude woman on it is DEFINITELY unprofessional.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Your Computer posted:

Realtalk though; the issue isn't that his outfit is "unprofessional" or ugly, it's that it's heavily reinforcing the "boy's club" mentality of STEM professions, and AFAIK he just tried to be funny without thinking of the implications and admitted that it was dumb and shortsighted after being confronted about it. :shrug:

I mean it's also the first thing as well. Like, have some fuckin' respect for your job, man. You guys landed a man on the moon, dress like it. I work in security, which is like the biggest old boys club there is, and yet people still manage to put on a polo shirt and slacks to give talks at conferences. If there was some kind of terrorist attack and one of the guys who was my professor came on the news to give a quote or w/e he'd never be employed again if he was wearing a tittyshirt, just like I don't go to audits dressed in stripper pumps and a four inch skirt. There's a time and a place for everything and the time for that shirt is maybe at a weekend BBQ as a joke.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dogfish posted:

I was definitely judging him for his poor professional judgment so I don't totally understand your scare quotes around "unprofessional."

Those weren't meant to be scare quotes, I'm just bad at using quotes :downs: It was way unprofessional, and it would have no doubt have made the news even if it was some other dumb thing like rows of corn or unicorns. I was just trying to point out that it's worse to reinforce those toxic stereotypes than to dress unprofessionally.

Your Computer has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Feb 14, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The biggest reason the right had a meltdown over it is because the guy apologized. The right's view is "never apologize for anything, at all, ever."

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Those weren't meant to be scare quotes, I'm just bad at using quotes :downs: It was way unprofessional, and it would have no doubt have made the news if it was some other dumb thing like rows of corn or unicorns. I was just trying to point out that it's worse to reinforce those toxic stereotypes than to dress unprofessionally.

I like how much we're all agreeing now! :shobon:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest reason the right had a meltdown over it is because the guy apologized. The right's view is "never apologize for anything, at all, ever."

No no, white men should "never apologize for anything, at all, ever."

Black people and women should be constantly grovelling and apologizing.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Je suis fatigue posted:

I bet this dude has a bitchin' van.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

wyoming posted:

I bet this dude has a bitchin' van.

And a cool holographic anime waifu.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kay Kessler posted:

Eh that was a bad memory on my part. For some reason I remember it being anime not cheesecake pinups. The point still stands though, its a gross shirt for wearing in a professional environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Je suis fatigue posted:

The worst part is that someone MADE that shirt. That is not a store bought shirt.

The fabric is designed by Alexander Henry (he creates a lot of sexy lady and shirtless hunks printed fabric): http://www.amazon.com/fighter-fabric-Alexander-Henry-multiples/dp/B00L5E32R8?tag=skim0x92398-20

• Locked thread