Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Waffleman_ posted:

What's red and white and coming to Crunchyroll in like an hour?

Ultraman Nexus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaXzYBAjN9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Reports are saying that Ninnin will have the worst sales since Timeranger.

And nobody shed a single tear.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not sure they could pull a go busters and go "well we're NEVER doing anything this series did again!!!!", especially when it used a theme that's worked before, so I hope they notice how horrible the whole takaharu thing was and just don't do that. Probably, though, means that mecha's going to be very simple looking from now on.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

John McClane posted:

okay now I feel like all my complaints are justified now that I can point to numbers and say 'no, it was just American Goons saying this sentai was bad, even Japanese kids didn't like it'

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

John McClane posted:

The V-Rex is loving awesome though.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh whoops. Meant Akaranger, not Akared. My bad!

Pretty sure you mean Akaninger, not Akaranger as that would be even stranger.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost was kind of boring this week until Aran used the Nekrom Eyecon to posess Spectre and from there the whole episode suddenly got good.

If I have one hope right now, it's that Akari and Igor get to be SCIENCE rivals, and that Akari gets to legit try to one-up him and help fight against him with her own SCIENCE abilities.

Probably won't happen, but one can dream, yeah?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

AzraelNewtype posted:

Pretty sure you mean Akaninger, not Akaranger as that would be even stranger.

Akarenger does appear in episode 7.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Akari's science armor today was just a bootleg Tackle cosplay, wasn't it :allears:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Stallion Cabana posted:

Akarenger does appear in episode 7.

(guess who didn't actually watch a single episode of this show at a rate slower than zipping through every 50 frames to find trim points, welp me)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AzraelNewtype posted:

(guess who didn't actually watch a single episode of this show at a rate slower than zipping through every 50 frames to find trim points, welp me)

It's fine, you didn't miss anything, Ninninger was terrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What else is red and white and on Crunchyroll?

Ultraman Gaia!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

AzraelNewtype posted:

You actually came out ahead of me in this exchange because that means you didn't watch the show at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Akari's "science skills" continue to be useless but she still has more guts than Takeru ever will. She also believes in herself considerably more than he does despite the catch phrase. Pity that Onari's similar self-confidence was so misdirected, though. I dunno what his contribution will be now that they don't really need to track down the ganma events, but it sure as hell won't be to fight.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Takeru doesn't put in a tenth of the effort the other two do. He just sits on his rear end all day while Onari does all of the investigation work, then he punches Ganma and says he believes in himself despite acting like a wimp all of the time and is handed more power-ups.

At least Spectre has the benefit of having some kind of internal Ganma radar that lets him appear out of nowhere at any time when Takeru isn't around.

I miss riders having monster radars, it saves a lot of time when you can just run straight for the monster rather than dealing with a victim of the week.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It honestly surprises me how this series had me go from "Onari and Akari are the worst support characters in Kamen Rider since Wizard" to "holy poo poo Akari and Onari are great even if they end up failing".

It's like the first few episodes were a totally different show. Except in Takeru being lame, that keeps being true.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Akari never gives up trying to understand this whole ganma thing with science, because she believes in herself. Onari does everything he can and is willing to risk his life to help people, as though he is intent on making his life burn bright. Takeru whines and mopes a lot and then wins fights because he was given incredible power. I guess he can also provide life-saving hugs, though he hasn't done it in a while. That's something, at least?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Looks like I didn't miss much when I stopped watching Ninninger. The only thing I'm still curious about is the End Shuriken. What was it's deal? I can't find much info online. Was it just an omnipotent wish-granting macguffin or something?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AtheistMantis posted:

Looks like I didn't miss much when I stopped watching Ninninger. The only thing I'm still curious about is the End Shuriken. What was it's deal? I can't find much info online. Was it just an omnipotent wish-granting macguffin or something?

Yeah, basically. It did whatever the owner needed it to so long as the owner was the Last Ninja, otherwise it wouldn't appear. Kyuuemon uses it to summon monsters then the Ninningers use it to unsummon monsters and destroy the End Shuriken itself. At one point the idea of using it for world peace is brought up but it's immediatly shot down because erasing it was better because ??? (okay, the reason was that The End Shuriken was apparently the cause of everything so the world would be at peace so long as it didn't exist, which makes about zero sense because Gengetsu did not attack for The End Shuriken, and the plots of Goranger, Kakuranger, Hurricaneger and Magiranger had nothing to do with it either).

It also kept Yoshitaka alive after he apparently died years ago.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

AzraelNewtype posted:

That still makes you a martyr in my book, that show was awful. You guys were wasted on that piece of dreck.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

Akari never gives up trying to understand this whole ganma thing with science, because she believes in herself. Onari does everything he can and is willing to risk his life to help people, as though he is intent on making his life burn bright. Takeru whines and mopes a lot and then wins fights because he was given incredible power. I guess he can also provide life-saving hugs, though he hasn't done it in a while. That's something, at least?

you guys are being really hard on takeru

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What's the best Ultraman series on CrunchyRoll right now, since they've been adding so much?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Elfgames posted:

probably cause he came right after a really strong main character in Shinnosuke

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

What's the best Ultraman series on CrunchyRoll right now, since they've been adding so much?

Nexus

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double post I guess?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EDit: Three times? What the gently caress SA.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Elfgames posted:

You try to sell me on Takeru. He barely has a personality. "i believe in myself" and "i should protect my friends" is not a personality.

Takeru's power progression is exactly the type I dislike: he's handed more power whenever things start to get tough rather than solve the problem through his own power. It's kind of mandatory these days since we have a shitload of power-ups to sell, but Takeru completely blew through his time limit lazing around doing nothing for weeks at a time and was handed power having overcome no adversity. Takeru has not convinced me that he's done enough to earn his power.

Getting a you stronger form that renders your base form completely obsolete and screws over the second rider very quickly is a constant problem in new series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He had come to terms with his own mortality. However, while Takeru was fine with dying his friends definitely were not fine with it. But instead of trying to get them to accept it he just kinda chilled while they desperately tried to find a way to save him. He did this for weeks! Then, the whole issue was resolved without Takeru doing a drat thing so he didn't learn anything from it. Dude is lazy as hell and he never has to face any consequences, so he has no reason to grow as a person.

The funny part is that Takeru probably isn't supposed to come off as lazy at all, but he is still much worse than Tomari whose entire initial personality was being lazy and unmotivated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The real parallel to draw with Takeru is Eiji, our last boring personality-devoid rider held up by the strength of the supporting cast.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

The real parallel to draw with Takeru is Eiji, our last boring personality-devoid rider held up by the strength of the supporting cast.

Eiji being an empty shell of a person was a plot point, albeit a poorly executed one. The show actually acknowledged that he had problems even if they didn't really do much with it. Takeru lazes around and waits for plot to show up while the supporting cast fawns over how wonderful he is.

I don't expect Takeru to be perfect, but it is maddening how his incredibly obvious flaws are never mentioned. How is he supposed to develop if the show treats goofus like he was gallant? I guess I just don't see why the protagonist has to be terrible when most of the cast is not.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Eiji at least had a good actor behind him who played the part he was given well. Did Takeru ever get to the point where his line about burning up was ever believable? I dropped out some episodes into Starninger appearing. With Ghost I didn't last much longer to be honest, but that was more the show just not grabbing me and missing episodes due to working on the weekend. Robin Hood was the last one I saw there.

I'm super excited for the new Sentai this week, though!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Reds posted:

You try to sell me on Takeru. He barely has a personality. "i believe in myself" and "i should protect my friends" is not a personality.

Takeru's power progression is exactly the type I dislike: he's handed more power whenever things start to get tough rather than solve the problem through his own power. It's kind of mandatory these days since we have a shitload of power-ups to sell, but Takeru completely blew through his time limit lazing around doing nothing for weeks at a time and was handed power having overcome no adversity. Takeru has not convinced me that he's done enough to earn his power.

Getting a you stronger form that renders your base form completely obsolete and screws over the second rider very quickly is a constant problem in new series.

i'm not saying he's great but you guys make him out to be awful. also we actually don't know what he was doing during the time skips as time was skipped but i assume it would be pretty hard to find a person with an item of the hero's who's also super passionate about them, like whenever a case came in he was always the one investigating using his ghost powers. also he was gifted his power through his self sacrifice+his dads sacrifice for him. it's way better than kouta(?) from gaim literally being given power or hell even gentaro didn't really earn any of his power untill the final one.

also maybe it's just me but i always took his spouting "I belive in myself and gonna make my life burn bright" as more fake it until you make it deals.

edit: also i didn't watch drive, gaim had killed my interest in rider and i thought the suit was ugly so i skipped it

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 12, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Drive is good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Skipping Drive to watch Ghost is a bad deal and if it were me I wouldn't take it.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Drive is good.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I'm quite fond of Ghost and I still wouldn't skip Drive for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ghost is a mixed bag so far. Drive is very good aside from the first few lackluster episodes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Eiji was good.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I think Takeru has a chance to become interesting. Like I think he's a fine character; the new time stuff with it running down to his death after he saved Kanon made me think that there was a kind of Zen Acceptance of his death. There are issues with him being motivated, I can agree, but to me his current 'slump' doesn't really feel like a slump, but more like confusion; he doesn't want to fight, which I think he's made pretty clear, and he sees a way out; Aran and Makoto used to be friends, so surely they can become friends again, but he's unsure how to make it work, because it's kind of hard to get into the head space of an Invulnerable Super Ghost Kamen Rider who hands you your rear end whenever you try to fight him and doesn't seem particularly interested in a conversation.

It can probably be portrayed better, but I can understand what they're going for.

And the supporting Cast and Fighting are both top notch at this point so it can kind of make up for his weaknesses.

It's not Drive good but it's gotten better since like episode 4 (When Spectre showed up to start to punch Takeru in the face) but there's no denying it could become even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think that the old sage guy and Yurusen are the weakest parts of Ghost so far: they have a chance to add to scenes or give Takeru some direction to help flesh him out and...they're just there saying vague poo poo.

• Locked thread