Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Advice posted:

gently caress! I should have called this. I totally thought they were hiding Raizou, mainly because I thought it odd that a Yonkou's right-hand man would waste his time for multiple days on an island unless he were 100% sure the ninja was on the island. I mean, if he's so important, you'd probably want to scour the area for him, not spend time torturing cats while he escapes further? it seemed oddly incompetent for a yonkou.

Well, I think it's clear that Jack is type that doesn't plan ahead. He did attack a ship carrying some of the strongest marines in the world without a second thought, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Well the friendship between the samurai and the minkmen would lead Jack there to ask them where the hell raizou is.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

davidHalestorm posted:

Well, I think it's clear that Jack is type that doesn't plan ahead. He did attack a ship carrying some of the strongest marines in the world without a second thought, after all.

Probably quite overconfident of his own strength.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Came in not really caring a lot about the Minks.
I currently consider them my favorite side characters.
Freaking love their animal tendencies, their leaders are awesome, and they are the ultimate bros it seems.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
I watched the anime up until around Punk Hazard, and I was always concerned that I would never be able to truly appreciate the great moments of the manga the same way I appreciated the great moments of the anime, since I've never really read manga before and knew I would have a tough time enjoying dramatic moments without the music, colors, voice actors, etc. Dressrosa kind of confirmed my suspicions, as it was enjoyable to read but I still couldn't shake being used to the anime.

However this chapter recaptured the spark I felt when watching huge moments from the anime. What an incredible chapter.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Can Anime Garfield just join the crew please. I have not been this enchanted with a side character in One Piece like this in a very long time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Not an Owl posted:

I watched the anime up until around Punk Hazard, and I was always concerned that I would never be able to truly appreciate the great moments of the manga the same way I appreciated the great moments of the anime, since I've never really read manga before and knew I would have a tough time enjoying dramatic moments without the music, colors, voice actors, etc. Dressrosa kind of confirmed my suspicions, as it was enjoyable to read but I still couldn't shake being used to the anime.

However this chapter recaptured the spark I felt when watching huge moments from the anime. What an incredible chapter.

The first 700-something chapters are available in full color.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The first 700-something chapters are available in full color.

It's how I read them on my initial marathon after discovering it was a possibility. It was pretty fun, and definitely made that busy panelwork way more comprehensible.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Asuron posted:

Can Anime Garfield just join the crew please. I have not been this enchanted with a side character in One Piece like this in a very long time.

Yeah he's like if someone took Jinbei and made up good. I'd be down with him.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So was the conflict between dog man and judo cat all fabricated for the purposes of deceiving outsiders? They didn't seem particularly disdainful of each other once the samurai showed up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think that the immediate suspension of their fight is there to further highlight just how much they respect the people of Wano.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Radish posted:

I think that the immediate suspension of their fight is there to further highlight just how much they respect the people of Wano.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do have a hate-on for each other, but the samurai are more important than that.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Didn't see this coming, but I love it. This may be my favorite reveal since the start of the New World. Loving the Minks so far.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I have never read the colored Chapters. Does Oda go full Araki and change color schemes at random?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Fat_Cow posted:

I have never read the colored Chapters. Does Oda go full Araki and change color schemes at random?

No, Oda is probably consulted on the colors, but he didn't personally do any coloring and it's all very consistent throughout.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

stonewhitebeardcoat.jpg

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I told you guys, we got the Stone-Stone man to do that so his coat wouldn't blw away! Geez!

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Just hit Skypeia in my re-read. A few things caught my fancy

1. Southbird shenanigans were hilarious
2. Going Merry gets hosed up basically from the time they get it, I dunno how that ship could love that crew
3. Wapol is wearing Robson's brother as a coat. :aaaaa: (Robson was Wapol's white hippo horse thing)

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i always forgot how great amazon lily is as an arc, luffy covering up hancocks sisters tats because it was like death to them in luffy logic was one of my favourite OP moments

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think one of my favorite sight gags in Skypeia was when Usopp tried doing a fancy triple flip out of harm's way, only to bang his head on the Maxim ship railing instead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yet another reason why usopp is the best strawhat

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I'm glad there seems to be more love for Skypeia than there used to be.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
And I have enjoyed watching Noland's ascendance to Most Important Flashback Character. Well, other than Roger, and it isn't nearly as fun when he comes up.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Captain Invictus posted:

yet another reason why usopp is the best strawhat

The undetachable rope belt is easily a top 3 gag in the entire series.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Usopp vs Luffy is still a top-tier fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Comic posted:

I always really liked the beginning of skypeia, from jaya up through them going into vearth or w/e they called it. it dragged on a little with the priests there but dials were cool and enel is one of my favorite one piece bad guys

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Comic posted:

It was always my favorite arc. I usually don't like Zoro fights, but that arc gave him two excellent ones in the form of Ohm and Brahm because it was actually him struggling in fairly even fights. Plus the setting, Nolands flashback, Nico Robin gets a kickass fight (give us bloody more of them Oda) and just so much more.

Plus of course, it gave us the birth of the Eneru Face.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
There should be a fight where zoro is completely healthy and has no outside considerations to worry about and he loses in like 4 panels.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Work Friend Keven posted:

There should be a fight where zoro is completely healthy and has no outside considerations to worry about and he loses in like 4 panels.

you mean when he fought hawkeye

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Eneru and Aokoji/Kusan when they took out the whole crew

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Work Friend Keven posted:

Dude, you can't hope for a guy to break a vow. That's not cool at all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Dude, you can't hope for a guy to break a vow. That's not cool at all.

Surely he's already broken it by this point? I guess it depends on what you count...

• Mr. 3: OK, not technically a loss because Zoro was planning to "win" at the cost of his own feet. Also, Mr. 3 used a sneak attack.
  • Enel: A pretty clear loss. I guess Zoro wasn't at full HP at that point, but it's not like it would have made any difference.
  • CP9 guys at Water 7: I can't remember who, if anyone, Zoro fought there, but I think it was actually CP9 who retreated despite them having the upper hand, so not technically a loss for Zoro.
  • Shu (the guy with the rust DF): I guess Zoro might have won bare-handed if Usopp hadn't intervened? So not a loss.
  • Moria: Knocked Zoro out by stealing his shadow. Not a very fair fight, though.
  • Oars: Did Oars even knock out Zoro? I can't actually remember.
  • Kuma (Thriller Bark): Not a loss, since Kuma left.
  • Kuma (Saobaody): Oda clearly intended this one to count as a loss, since the chapter title is "Zoro Lost." The "not at full HP" excuse does apply, however.
  • Yeti Cool Brothers: Another sneak attack.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think it only counts against swordsmen or something like that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I think it only counts against swordsmen or something like that.

Zoro explicitly said he didn't want to fight Crocodile because it would be breaking his vow if he lost.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Actually, a different translation on that Kuma chapter is "Zoro, Disappeared". I'm pretty sure lost didn't mean lost in that sense.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I think "lose" means die. He will not die until he beats Hawkeye.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Surely he's already broken it by this point? I guess it depends on what you count...

• Mr. 3: OK, not technically a loss because Zoro was planning to "win" at the cost of his own feet. Also, Mr. 3 used a sneak attack.
  • Enel: A pretty clear loss. I guess Zoro wasn't at full HP at that point, but it's not like it would have made any difference.
  • CP9 guys at Water 7: I can't remember who, if anyone, Zoro fought there, but I think it was actually CP9 who retreated despite them having the upper hand, so not technically a loss for Zoro.
  • Shu (the guy with the rust DF): I guess Zoro might have won bare-handed if Usopp hadn't intervened? So not a loss.
  • Moria: Knocked Zoro out by stealing his shadow. Not a very fair fight, though.
  • Oars: Did Oars even knock out Zoro? I can't actually remember.
  • Kuma (Thriller Bark): Not a loss, since Kuma left.
  • Kuma (Saobaody): Oda clearly intended this one to count as a loss, since the chapter title is "Zoro Lost." The "not at full HP" excuse does apply, however.
  • Yeti Cool Brothers: Another sneak attack.

• The fight wasn't over, then Zoro tagged in Luffy so no loss.
  • Zoro got back up and went to fight him again, seeing as part of Zoro's shtick is getting beaten to poo poo and then winning I don't think this one counts either. A loss is being killed or giving up.
  • Zoro and Luffy got thrown out into the deserted town, then CP9 dipped. Tie goes to Strawhats for not running away.
  • Dude broke one of Zoro's swords, he's lucky Usopp took him out of the fight.
  • Moria didn't actually fight Zoro. Getting captured isn't a loss.
  • The Strawhats kicked Luffy-Oars' rear end until Moria took control. Then Luffy jumped in before it was actually finished.
  • Not a loss because :zoro: . It doesn't matter whether Kuma left or not.
  • Zoro is lost in a geographic/unknown location sense, as are the rest of the crew for once. As a whole the crew and captain are defeated but none of the individually lose since they're actually being sent to their ideal training location.
  • Same as being captured, being knocked out doesn't count.

Crazyeyes posted:

I think "lose" means die. He will not die until he beats Hawkeye.

While he frequently comments that he can't die until he beats Hawkeye, when he makes his promise to Luffy it's to never lose again. Since he improbably survives Hawkeye's slash, he's yet to die.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
drat I love the straw hats..

I am trying to hold judgement because the sagas definitely flow better when there isn't a break btwn chapters but I feel like the manga might have lost a little of it's magic... still better than every other comic out there.

Edit: I like the side characters for the most part but I am glad like it seems Oda is focusing on the crew this arc

dazoner fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 13, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Hey everyone if you like this go read toriko. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Death Bot posted:

Hey everyone if you like this go read toriko. It's good.

i like my mangakas not trying to buy underage girls thank you very much