Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hi I read the OP and I am interested in these card driven games, what is a good one if I do not have a ton of money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Honestly, either start with 1960 if you can find it or just go for the classic, Twilight Struggle.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Go for Twilight Struggle, it held its #1 bgg spot for years for a reason. Alternatively, if you want some proper spilling of blood in your wargame, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage will also do nicely for a starter.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There's also Old School Tactical by Mark Walker. I picked up the PDF beta version and had the map printed at my local Staples store. The artwork is really great and it flowed pretty well when I played a few sample rounds. I'm waiting to see the final rulebook and such before I make judgement on it. The beta rules were just bullet points, so hopefully they spruce all of that up. Right now it feels like reading a patent application.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Washington's War is also super easy and pretty good/fun (although I'd still defer to TS unless you really like the Revolutionary War and demand blood).

e: The Cuba Libre reprint hits next month if you demand more players too: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-497-cuba-libre-reprint-edition.aspx

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 11, 2016

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Tekopo posted:

I'm just hoping that it it isn't too ARVN-like. The government in ADP is great because although nominally attached to the coalition, they don't have to fight the same fights as the coalition, and are actually encouraged not to: the ARVN even though it is in the same position, pretty much ends up fighting the same fight in the end anyway.

drat it Tekopo, stop working with the Taliban! This was not part of the plan... :eng99:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

drat it Tekopo, stop working with the Taliban! This was not part of the plan... :eng99:
I just aim to provide the maximum Afghanistan experience for any prospective Coalition players! They'll thank me in the end when I siphon away aid to help my buddies, literally do nothing to actually remove the growing Taliban threat and divert all my possible resources to combating the northern warlords that are semi-allied to the Coalition.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Alright, thanks for the recommendations, I'll see what I can pick up out of them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh also, I forgot, you also need to send your troops on spurious operations into the back country in order to leave coalition troops open to attack.

EDIT: In other words, if the coalition doesn't feel that the government is their biggest enemy in the game, the government isn't doing their job right.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

Yes, I love to see other people not finish games like me.

chaoslord posted:

Last page but I would be interested. I own this game and have opened the box many times but have never actually gotten a chance to play so if you aren't ok with rookies I would at least be interested in reading it.

Alright, I'm getting it set up now. Just need a thread title.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Here we go! If someone actually gets a Pyrrhic Victory with Pyrrhus, I will be most pleased.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I just found out I can still use the War of the Ring java app at work, so I've also made the multi-player War of the Ring game I've been meaning to do.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Is anyone interested in playing some Vassal Totaler Krieg/Unconditional Surrender? 3P or 2P? I'm really itching to give either of them another go like we did at the start of this thread.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Is anyone interested in playing some Vassal Totaler Krieg/Unconditional Surrender? 3P or 2P? I'm really itching to give either of them another go like we did at the start of this thread.

If you'd like, or if no one is interested in a live game, I'd be willing to run another thread for either one for you. If it's only 2p or 3p, it should be much easier to keep going.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Taran_Wanderer posted:

If you'd like, or if no one is interested in a live game, I'd be willing to run another thread for either one for you. If it's only 2p or 3p, it should be much easier to keep going.

If it's thread based, count me in!

I can't do live VASSAL, but would be interested in a PBP or PBEM of Unconditional Surrender

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with Enemy Action: Ardennes? The chit pull for combat seems interesting, as well as the way cards are used for activations and combat. But the price...ouch.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

I am always up for a game of TK.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

If it's thread based, count me in!

I can't do live VASSAL, but would be interested in a PBP or PBEM of Unconditional Surrender
I'd rather do a live game to be honest.

BM: are you free any time on weekends?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Rockker posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Enemy Action: Ardennes? The chit pull for combat seems interesting, as well as the way cards are used for activations and combat. But the price...ouch.

I've seen a playthrough on Youtube and it looks really great and smartly designed, for a solo game. But the for the price and the rules investment, I could buy all three "D-Day at _____" games (which seem to use a similar impulse system).

Man, I forgot about the D-Day games, they're fun as hell. Probably my favorite solitaire mechanic.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

My wife is going out of town on March 9th, and will be gone til the 19th. I'm free to play plenty of live VASSAL during that window :)

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

I'm usually free Sundays, Saturdays are more variable. I also have this Monday off so I could potentially play during your afternoon/evening

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sounds good, we could do a session sunday/monday, let me know the time.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GMT has a P500 up for 1960: The Making of the President. Very, very excited to order that.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

chaoslord posted:

GMT has a P500 up for 1960: The Making of the President. Very, very excited to order that.

Yeah, I just got that email too. Some nice stuff up on P500: Pendragon; Triumph & Tragedy...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Heroes of the 'Nam came in the mail today, and hooooly smokes it's beautiful. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the cover art, the components are just great. Rounded, individually die-cut counters in 5/8" and 7/8" (huge!), 9 maps, more than 25 scenarios, a ton of player aids, a 60 page rulebook (half of which is examples), and a huge scenario book... man, you definitely get your money's worth. After seeing it in real life, Lock N Load Tactical gets an A+ from me.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Pendragon looks cool. I like how the base/fort locations are all named. And mercenary groups could be interesting.

E: huh, I thought Skies over the Reich would be like RAF, but it looks like the inverse of B-17 instead. Neat.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 12, 2016

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I just noticed there was a designer diary for Mark Herman's new game like Churchill posted recently. Pretty cool! No dice!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I was just looking at that, too. It looks pretty interesting.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm also looking forward to seeing if Carl Paradis' new game is any good. The eastern front in 3-4 hours with no dice sounds really interesting but I'm skeptical. I really like everything but the Na Berlin content in the first No Retreat game but his track record since then doesn't inspire confidence. I'm all about card based resolution.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

cenotaph posted:

I'm also looking forward to seeing if Carl Paradis' new game is any good. The eastern front in 3-4 hours with no dice sounds really interesting but I'm skeptical. I really like everything but the Na Berlin content in the first No Retreat game but his track record since then doesn't inspire confidence. I'm all about card based resolution.
Which game is that?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Falling Sky looked cool, but reading the blurb for Pendragon, it sounds even more awesome. I only want to buy one but... I'll probably end up with both, won't I

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Speaking of COIN, is there a general consensus of which is the "best" game? Just played Andean Abyss for the second time and had forgotten how good the system was, was considering picking another one up. Preferably nothing much more complex than AA though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

INinja132 posted:

Speaking of COIN, is there a general consensus of which is the "best" game? Just played Andean Abyss for the second time and had forgotten how good the system was, was considering picking another one up. Preferably nothing much more complex than AA though.
It really depends on what you mean by best. FITL is the most polished (well, I dunno if that's 100% the case anymore due to LOD), but ADP is my all time favourite due to the politics and CL is the most accessible one. AA is certainly the worst but still a good game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Which game is that?

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-573-absolute-war.aspx

He's been talking about it for a while but this is the official announcement. Too bad there are no images yet.

Also they should just ban him from using exclamation points.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 13, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

cenotaph posted:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-573-absolute-war.aspx

He's been talking about it for a while but this is the official announcement. Too bad there are no images yet.

Also they should just ban him from using exclamation points.
Thanks! I'm not sure what you are talking about regarding the exclamation marks though!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I think that's the catch with COIN. It's a great system and clearly works in a variety of settings, but even people who love the system are a little wary that all COIN games might end up feeling too similar to warrant purchase.

That said, I own FITL and eagerly await Cuba Libre, yet I'm tempted by all the new versions, too. Is this what being a 18XX fan is like?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

I think that's the catch with COIN. It's a great system and clearly works in a variety of settings, but even people who love the system are a little wary that all COIN games might end up feeling too similar to warrant purchase.

That said, I own FITL and eagerly await Cuba Libre, yet I'm tempted by all the new versions, too. Is this what being a 18XX fan is like?

Not really. Most 18xx are pretty diverse.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Thanks! I'm not sure what you are talking about regarding the exclamation marks though!

Absolute War!
No Retreat!
No dice!
!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I know for certain that the classical history nerd in me is going to make me buy Pericles, Pendragon, and Falling Sky shortly.

Looking forward to Absolute War too, only played No Retreat once, but I really enjoyed it even though I can't remember a good chunk of the game and many mistakes were made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

God drat, that's really sexy looking. I might be more excited for Pendragon than I am for Falling Skies.

Ugh, I'm an addict to COIN games. I just bought Heroes of Normandy instead of A Distant Plain though, that's progress...