Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Killing trolls: Gimli with a Citadel plate works well, otherwise give as much +attack to whoever has the highest base attack. Direct damage abilities to avoid their defense, when they are engaged with you, since one troll stops you from damaging them otherwise. That is, sneak attacking in Gandalfs.

But you also will probably want to play with two decks, because you'll get a minimum of 4 sacks, which can take out everyone if you play with one deck. You usually want to stall a bit on the first quest card to build up before the trolls get there, but at the same time keep your threat down, so having a threat reduction deck should also help. That way you can keep the trolls in the staging area until you want to take them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

theroachman posted:

Okay, thanks for the clarifications.

I was indeed asking what the Sack mechanic does, should have made that clearer. At first I thought it was meant in the sense of sacking a city, but I get it now, it's an actual sack you put a character in. FFG really do know how to do top-down design, don't they? If only they knew how to use consistent templating of rules text... (you can probably tell I'm a recovering M:TG player)

Treasures still sound a bit like lazy design though. Making a couple of overpowered cards and then basically banning them outright except for in some specific situation. But I guess it's an interesting exploration of the design space and it can be ignored so it doesn't really bother me.

Magic has cards that get banned in some situations too :cheeky: but yeah I guess they're not exactly DESIGNED to be banned like that from the get-go.

You should be able to ignore them if you don't want to deal with it, yeah.

As for "sacking", haha.
I like the idea of Trolls telling Gandalf and Elrond that they're fired and need not come to work next week.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My houserule is that if you have the same heroes by Flies and Spiders, you get the troll treasures even if you didn't earn them, but not during Misty Mountains and Goblin Town.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Baron Porkface posted:

Speaking of Hobbit how am I supposed to kill the trolls when I can only send one guy to attack them?

Not sure about your card pool but this will probably work. I went with 1 core and 1 ohuh

1x Aragorn (Core Set)
1x Eowyn (Core Set)
1x Gimli (Core Set)

Ally: (27)
2x Bofur (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Faramir (Core Set)
3x Fili (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Gandalf (Core Set)
2x Gondorian Spearman (Core Set)
2x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set)
2x Horseback Archer (Core Set)
3x Kili (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Northern Tracker (Core Set)
2x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set)
2x Veteran Axehand (Core Set)
2x Wandering Took (Core Set)

Attachment: (8)
1x Celebrian's Stone (Core Set)
2x Citadel Plate (Core Set)
2x Dwarven Axe (Core Set)
2x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Event: (15)
2x A Test of Will (Core Set)
3x A Very Good Tale (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set)
2x Feint (Core Set)
2x Hasty Stroke (Core Set)
2x Quick Strike (Core Set)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Zephro posted:

When we played that quest, Elrond, mighty half-elven Lord of Rivendell and Herald of the Great Host of the Second Age, was the first character to be stuck in a smelly sack by some random troll. Good times.

Doing dumb things, flavor-wise, is one of my favorite things about the LOTR LCG. The first time I went through the Fellowship of the Ring Book 1 quests, we got to Bree and met Strider. . . despite the fact that Aragorn had been in our party all along. We imagined it went down pretty much like this:
:geno:: "Well met, Frodo. I am Strider."
:what:: "Aragorn what the gently caress are you doing? We've been travelling together for days now."
:mad:: "No my name is Strider now!"
:what:: "Shut up, Aragorn."

Then, Frodo got stabbed at Weathertop, and the only one who can heal the wound is the great healer Elrond, so we have to race to his house in Rivendell. Of course, Elrond is in our party, racing alongside us.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Doing dumb things, flavor-wise, is one of my favorite things about the LOTR LCG. The first time I went through the Fellowship of the Ring Book 1 quests, we got to Bree and met Strider. . . despite the fact that Aragorn had been in our party all along. We imagined it went down pretty much like this:
:geno:: "Well met, Frodo. I am Strider."
:what:: "Aragorn what the gently caress are you doing? We've been travelling together for days now."
:mad:: "No my name is Strider now!"
:what:: "Shut up, Aragorn."

Then, Frodo got stabbed at Weathertop, and the only one who can heal the wound is the great healer Elrond, so we have to race to his house in Rivendell. Of course, Elrond is in our party, racing alongside us.

Elrond, can't you cure these wounds?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I left my morgul blade healing herbs in my other pair of pants. We gotta run to my house real quick. Sorry guys...

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Spoilers for The Grey Havens are up on cardgamedb and Hall of Beorn! Lots of snazzy looking Noldor cards, and the events that can trigger multiple times should be interesting, though probably most useful in an Elf deck. My friend will really enjoy Grappling Hook in his Tactics heavy decks. Might even be useful in my Hobbit deck on Merry. Mariner's Compass and Explorer's Almanac are interesting new location management tools. Probably not any better then what we have already, but interesting. Finally, Narya. Interesting and subtle effect, especially since you're giving up an action with Gandalf/Cirdain, who have pretty great stats in and of themselves. Bonkers in an Ent deck?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Spoilers for The Grey Havens are up on cardgamedb and Hall of Beorn! Lots of snazzy looking Noldor cards, and the events that can trigger multiple times should be interesting, though probably most useful in an Elf deck. My friend will really enjoy Grappling Hook in his Tactics heavy decks. Might even be useful in my Hobbit deck on Merry. Mariner's Compass and Explorer's Almanac are interesting new location management tools. Probably not any better then what we have already, but interesting. Finally, Narya. Interesting and subtle effect, especially since you're giving up an action with Gandalf/Cirdain, who have pretty great stats in and of themselves. Bonkers in an Ent deck?

Oh yeah I do love Grappling Hook.

Narya is pretty amazing, especially for Ents like you say, although my Gandalf hero is in another deck. I guess you could attach it to ally Gandalf but then you lose it at end of turn.

I'm interested to see how all the new ship mechanics work out for the encounters.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I was reading Anchor Watch and I was wondering: What happens if you have multiple defenders on an attacker? Add shields together and choose which character takes the damage? Does damage overflow to other character when the first one's out of wounds?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

theroachman posted:

I was reading Anchor Watch and I was wondering: What happens if you have multiple defenders on an attacker? Add shields together and choose which character takes the damage? Does damage overflow to other character when the first one's out of wounds?

Yeah, there's actually a few cards that let you defend with more than one character.

AFAIK you do indeed add together their shields, and then you distribute damage as you see fit among all those characters who participated in defending. You have to take as many wounds total as the difference in attack value unless all your characters die, but you can have each of three characters take one wound, for example. You couldn't have somebody with 2 hit points take 3 wounds though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah I do love Grappling Hook.

Narya is pretty amazing, especially for Ents like you say, although my Gandalf hero is in another deck. I guess you could attach it to ally Gandalf but then you lose it at end of turn.

I'm interested to see how all the new ship mechanics work out for the encounters.

Might be fun to try with the Over Hill and Under Hill Gandalf. Tales from the Cards built a fun deck centered on using Gandalf's toys with that Gandalf.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You still gotta ditch him at end of turn. Unless you eat the threat I guess but that's gonna build up pretty quick. In the right deck it could work for a bit but Narya would be better with Hero Gandalf overall.

Plus I gotta think about like, if I'm playing with somebody who is using my other deck with Gandalf as a hero then I can't use him as a hero or ally in my ent deck because he's unique.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I just realised all the "Resolve that effect again for each copy of ______ currently in your discard pile (you may choose different targets)." cards make Message from Elrond finally work.

Not particularly well, but holy poo poo I never thought that card would be good for anything.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

AFAIK you do indeed add together their shields, and then you distribute damage as you see fit among all those characters who participated in defending. You have to take as many wounds total as the difference in attack value unless all your characters die, but you can have each of three characters take one wound, for example. You couldn't have somebody with 2 hit points take 3 wounds though.

Not according to the official FAQ:

"(1.04) Damage and Multiple Defenders
If a player uses card effects to declare multiple
defenders against a single enemy attack, the defending
player must assign all damage from that attack to a
single defending character."

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Single Tight Female posted:

I just realised all the "Resolve that effect again for each copy of ______ currently in your discard pile (you may choose different targets)." cards make Message from Elrond finally work.

Not particularly well, but holy poo poo I never thought that card would be good for anything.
Did you ever get my PM, by the way? :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CaptainRightful posted:

Sheeeeet

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Zephro posted:

Did you ever get my PM, by the way? :)

Balls! I knew I meant to do something when I got back. Uh I just turned on the thingy that lets users email you if you want to do that. I've never needed PMs before so gonna save the :10bux:

LOTR LCG Law in effect! When faced with two options, assume the worst.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I swear the split damage as you like was a ruling at some point.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

http://stimhack.com/peachhack-the-art-of-running-ep-1-travis-hb-fast-advance-vs-holly-noise/ Local streaming group put up a pseudo-teaching video where they played a game then went back and had the players give commentary on their thoughts and decision making. This is awesome and something I've been looking for for a while.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Oh awesome. I was watching that hive tyrant YouTube guys conquest vids, but his commentary lags just a touch and it sucks. He needs a co-comnentator too.

Speaking of conquest, played a game the other night and was destroyed. Completely under appreciated how bad my starting hand was. Drawing no units second turn, also bad.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
With the Gandalf ally if you give him the ring you can then sword thain him to gain resources.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Cassa posted:

Oh awesome. I was watching that hive tyrant YouTube guys conquest vids, but his commentary lags just a touch and it sucks. He needs a co-comnentator too.

Speaking of conquest, played a game the other night and was destroyed. Completely under appreciated how bad my starting hand was. Drawing no units second turn, also bad.

I built a Urien deck after not playing for an entire year, took it to my local shop, and got absolutely slaughtered. I did nearly mill my opponent in one game, so there's a nice small consolation. :v:

I make a lot of the same mistakes as I do in AGoT: I lose the game in setup. I just flat out make the wrong decision. It's so frustrating.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You lost when you decided to play Urien :v:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GrandpaPants posted:

You lost when you decided to play Urien :v:

Yeah I know, I know. Honestly it performed better than expected, but the way I distributed my units across planets totally sunk me. I think I had actually lost the game by turn 3. I just need to read articles or watch videos and try to get a better handle on the deployment phase. I end up stupidly saddling my Warlord with most of my guys and end up getting wrecked in each battle.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If you want to give a play by play, I'm sure myself and the rest of the thread would be happy to give you advice on plays and where you went wrong.

Conquest is still my favorite lcg probably specifically because there are all these important decisions to make.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

It's been a couple weeks, so if i can remember the details I'll be happy to share. I faced the new Chaos Warlord, Worr, and Old One Eye. OOE was the opponent I nearly milled to death, but I made the mistake of taking the first two planets despite the fact they didn't share symbols. I blew most of my Torture cards to mill/card-deny him, and ended up with no shields. I don't remember what the unit is, but there's a Tyranid that stands after smashing a 3-cost or lower. I could be mistaken but I know it's something along those lines. This guy: http://www.conquestdb.com/en/card/08-decree-of-ruin/023-striking-ravener In the game-point planet battle, that lone 'Nid smashed all 5 guys I had deployed at that planet. My deck runs a lot of weenies and I certainly paid for it. My largest mistake was probably blowing my load on the first two planets to get a fast start. Each subsequent deployment allowed him to wreck my exhausted HQ guys, and as I said, I blew Torture cards to trigger my supports and win those first two battles.

I realize there's a lot of holes, I'll try to recall more. When I see them again, I'll ask them to recount in vivid detail how thorough their victories were :v:

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 12, 2016

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Is CardgameDB the best place to netdeck AGoT decks?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

https://thronesdb.com is pretty good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

I realize there's a lot of holes, I'll try to recall more. When I see them again, I'll ask them to recount in vivid detail how thorough their victories were :v:

In general, there's very little reason to put more than one unit at a planet you're not fighting at or for. If you wanted to seed the second planet, throw in some cheapo 1 for 1 unit there (I forget what this actually is for DE, aside from Sslyth Mercenary, which requires some finesse...), or at best some 2 for 1 unit (Hellion Gang is a pretty solid one for DE). That way, you can get the claim on the planet without A) dedicating a whole lot of resources and B) showing your intention to fight for that planet. If you come out strong and plop 2 units on planet 2 on round 2, I'd be happy to let you overextend, and then grow economy on planets 3-5 so that I can hit you back when it really matters and when all your dudes come into play exhausted because they came from HQ.

Your ideal turn 1 is to play a decent 2-3 drop on Planet 1 (because why give it to them for free?), then putting as many cheap 1 command units on the other planets as possible. Throw in a Promotion in there just to be a dick. I legitimately don't remember any Torture cards that are useful besides Suffering I guess? But that's a good way to win Planet 1 if they put in some random 2 ATK unit.

Urien is also very much not a combat unit, so feel free to use him to snipe claim if it doesn't make much of a difference where your HQ retinue ends up.

But yeah, the number one thing I notice new players doing is just piling units on a planet without realizing that there are 4ish other planets in the game. I would gladly give up planet 1 on turn 1 if it means that I can get the claim on planets 2-5.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

CaptainRightful posted:

Aha, thanks. So, not such a good effect then.

It's kind of sad that this is not explained in the core game rulebook, at least I think I saw the same effect on one of the core tactics event cards.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, there is a core event card to let you block with as many as you like.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
I keep reading that FFG thinks the LCG space is saturated and that the consensus is that a game will be retired when they launch Five Rings. Is that right, and is the idea that it will likely be LOTR? I'd be kinda bummed about that since it occupies a unique space in being co-op and playable solo, which is how I play. I also just started getting into it and would love to collect everything (sans Nightmare cards) eventually. If they go in that direction, I hope they keep stuff in print a while, or design a new game that allows for solo play.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mr. Met posted:

I keep reading that FFG thinks the LCG space is saturated and that the consensus is that a game will be retired when they launch Five Rings. Is that right, and is the idea that it will likely be LOTR? I'd be kinda bummed about that since it occupies a unique space in being co-op and playable solo, which is how I play. I also just started getting into it and would love to collect everything (sans Nightmare cards) eventually. If they go in that direction, I hope they keep stuff in print a while, or design a new game that allows for solo play.

Yeah I hope not. That game rules. I have been worried about it too and have just started buying whatever I can find

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
It's possible, as LOTR has had a good run, but I don't think it really competes with anything else out at the moment, so I'm not sure if discontinuing it would help with a saturation problem.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I doubt it. LOTR is one of the higher selling LCG'S outside of Netrunner and I guess now Thrones. Besides they already killed COC so there's space for one more LCG on the roster.

Even if they announced the end of LOTR they still have a ton of products in the pipeline. Plus the way LOTR is setup up you can collect everything and still play it solo unlike COC or Invasion.

So you know have no fear of buying into it. It's a great game that provided me hours fun.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Mr. Met posted:

The only reason they would do that is if they wanted to get completely out of the cooperative realm in LCGs, which I doubt.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

One can only hope they'd kill off the SW LCG.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Met posted:

Is Five Rings going to be an LCG too then? That's cool. I played a bit of Legend of the Five Rings back in the day and it had some fun mechanics. I especially like the multiple victory conditions allowing you and your opponent to play radically different strategies.

Sucks if they're retiring something though, there's not really all that much. Like you said LOTR LCG is great because its co-op OR solo, both of which are pretty rare for TCG type games.

I love me some Netrunner hardcore, but its purely 1v1 and that's just kinda inherently limiting. I don't have a ton of friends who I can play with who are on an even playing field with me competitively because they aren't as into it, but if I go to some random tournament I'm playing with smelly neckbeards who aren't very fun to talk to.

I'd really like it if they could come up with some kinda alternative format for netrunner where you're fighting against an auto AI deck like LOTR LCG so you could play solo, but I have no loving clue how you'd fit that into netrunner's existing mechanics. You couldn't really, even if you made a bunch of new cards for it to work, you'd have totally different deck strategy for playing that variant versus the normal mode.

Magic came up with some fun variants where one player would fight three players but would have special powers, things like that. I'd be interested in seeing variants like that for LCGs, although they're usually gimmicky so I understand focusing on the competitive game.

Anyways they're JUST releasing the whole naval expansion to LOTR LCG! Don't cancel it now!

If anything I would probably say cut the game of thrones LCG but they just re-upped that one with a second version, so it won't be that one.

S.J. posted:

One can only hope they'd kill off the SW LCG.

Ah yeah there's a prime candidate.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Cthullu was the one killed for Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I remember reading that Star Wars is one of their best selling LCGs, surprisingly enough. I think a lot of people must buy it just because of the property but not actually play it.