Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

John McClane posted:

I think that the old sage guy and Yurusen are the weakest parts of Ghost so far: they have a chance to add to scenes or give Takeru some direction to help flesh him out and...they're just there saying vague poo poo.

I thought there was an interesting scene with Yurusen a couple of episodes ago where Takeru had a question and he said something like 'Knowing things like that is dangerous so I don't know that.' which makes it seem like what he knows isn't stuff he has control over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
There was a scene a few episodes ago that seems to imply that Yurusen doesn't actually know any more than he/she is saying.

So I think it's mainly Gramps that's holding back information and being vague.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elfgames posted:

edit: also i didn't watch drive, gaim had killed my interest in rider and i thought the suit was ugly so i skipped it

This is like skipping Fourze to watch Wizard.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

If there's one thing Ghost did right, it's that Specter has the sickest bass for his theme song.

I feel the show has improved quite a bit from the first month, where Takeru seemed to just bumble as a protagonist (A lot of Ryotaro comparisons could be made to him early on), but over time, he's showing that he has a grasp at what he wants, but doesn't really know how to exactly GET it. As Stallion Cabana said, Takeru doesn't see the point of the Ganma and humans being at ends. And it seems like over time, the reason WHY there's contention will be revealed, with how Aran mentions the Ganma World has no wars (Forgetting to mention that there's no war because the strong seem to just subjugate everyone so there can't be any room for rebellion), and humans being flawed would mean they'd cause disaster for themselves anyway.

It's getting interesting so far, but obviously, it's unknown if it will stick the landing. (Also don't watch Wizard, unless you want to be bored for several, several episodes)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

John McClane posted:

I think that the old sage guy and Yurusen are the weakest parts of Ghost so far: they have a chance to add to scenes or give Takeru some direction to help flesh him out and...they're just there saying vague poo poo.

The sage is just some dude from the ganma world who acts mysterious in order to manipulate Takeru. Kanon knows who he is, which is why there was that scene where he was incredibly obvious about hiding from her. He wants Takeru to come back to life, but just why that is is unclear.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Kanon seems kind of kreepy.
Even Makato calls ganma world hell but she seems to be okay with it and with Prince Aran, like there's something still kind of wrong with her.
I know we aren't even to episode twenty yet but I do kind of wish they'd hurry the reveals up just a little.

I can confirm Drive owns really hard. It is NOTHING like Gaim and if you skipped it you need to go back and watch it, especially if you are not currently liking Ghost.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

Kanon seems kind of kreepy.
Even Makato calls ganma world hell but she seems to be okay with it and with Prince Aran, like there's something still kind of wrong with her.
I know we aren't even to episode twenty yet but I do kind of wish they'd hurry the reveals up just a little.

I can confirm Drive owns really hard. It is NOTHING like Gaim and if you skipped it you need to go back and watch it, especially if you are not currently liking Ghost.

I'm under the impression that Kanon was kept sheltered in the palace by Aran while Makoto was doing whatever dark poo poo he needed to in order to acquire the Specter Driver. Her lacking a physical body entirely probably made her really easy to contain and "educate" for Aran, whose entire deal is thinking that physical bodies and individuality are way overrated as features for a species to have.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blaze Dragon posted:

It honestly surprises me how this series had me go from "Onari and Akari are the worst support characters in Kamen Rider since Wizard" to "holy poo poo Akari and Onari are great even if they end up failing".

I just want Onari to succeed at something. This week where he actually knocked the Ganma down with his staff was pretty good, but I kind of want more. I know he's a comic relief side character and he's not going to become a super badass or anything but I'd really like it if his training paid off and he gets to the point where he can at least handle the low level mooks. I guess I'm just not fond of the whole thing where the hero does nothing and is just gifted awesome power, whereas someone else trains really hard but is destined to fail.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Has Ghost gotten really as bad to be compared to Wizard? Fourze and Drive were both pretty good, though, I agree.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Has Ghost gotten really as bad to be compared to Wizard? Fourze and Drive were both pretty good, though, I agree.

No, Ghost is markedly better than Wizard.

I was making the analogy of skipping a series that's widely considered really good to watch one that's much worse.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

No, Ghost is markedly better than Wizard.

I was making the analogy of skipping a series that's widely considered really good to watch one that's much worse.

Okay, because I do feel like I'd like to revisit Ghost at some point if it turns out that it was pretty decent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Honestly, I still don't remember much about Wizard beyond Phoenix getting kicked into the sun and infinite, unending powerups.

Ghost at least has three Riders right now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Potsticker posted:

Where did you stop at? Ghost really started to pick up once the Spectee arc started, and while it's not GREAT right now, it's certainly solid, and still has its awesome moments.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

Honestly, I still don't remember much about Wizard beyond Phoenix getting kicked into the sun and infinite, unending powerups.

Ghost at least has three Riders right now.

The episode where he got Infinity Form was pretty cool. I liked how the belt shouted "INFINITY" like a half dozen times to hammer home the fact that this was some Bad poo poo.

Anyway, Ghost is fine. It's not Wizard Bad, it's not Drive Good. I'd put it about on the same level as OOO as far as my enthusiasm level goes, which is: pretty enthusiastic. I like it more than I liked the first half of Kabuto.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
just ordered Dairanger on amazon so i can marathon that and zyuranger before kakuranger comes out

whoop whoop sentai come on Shout keep turning this poo poo out, gimme official Ohranger and Bioman

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I still need to finish Zyuranger. I kind of lost it after the kindly old landlord and the gnome dressed up in camo and started throwing grenades and firing rockets at a child.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

eh i liked wizard and fourze about the same (wizard is a worse series for sure but drat i love the costumes and belts)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Takeru isn't that bad, you guys! Now let me explain just how awful my taste is...

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
name anything exceptional about fourze outside of gentaro

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Literally The Worst posted:

just ordered Dairanger on amazon so i can marathon that and zyuranger before kakuranger comes out

whoop whoop sentai come on Shout keep turning this poo poo out, gimme official Ohranger and Bioman

I'd really like it if Shout would stop authoring their subtitles in srt and then rasterizing that for the DVDs before we really lean in to hoping they do the whole franchise. I mean, it's not like anyone else will if they don't, but I'm getting really tired of stuff getting hard for a seasoned subtitle reader to follow because they're worried about overlapping with signs (hello Dairanger attacks constantly) when I know if they were making their subs in any other way, they could move one or the other to the top of the screen. Or make them a secondary color at the very least. You know, anything other than what they actually do, in the name of making it marginally easier to stream the episodes down the line.

Elfgames posted:

an exceptional protagonist is significantly more than wizard has to account for itself, so im not sure this is the path you want to take

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 13, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Elfgames posted:

Cancer, Taurus.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AzraelNewtype posted:

an exceptional protagonist is significantly more than wizard has to account for itself, so im not sure this is the path you want to take

gentaro is a great character and he carries the show well. but they both have huge stretches of meandering non plot, poor villains, terrible side characters (i hated wizards less because there were less of them) also wizard has a legitimately great character in nitou (who even got to be the actual real hero which was kinda cool.) fourze had even more useless powers many of them poping up once and never again, wizard just got too many upgrades (mostly looking at the stupid drago time gauntlet thingy), fourze's suits were really ugly and meteor fought with a beyblade, both series had really underused main villains.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Elfgames posted:

meteor fought with a beyblade

I'm really not seeing the negative here.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

I'm really not seeing the negative here.

you're right that was literally the only good thing about meteor

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The side characters are the best part of Fourzr

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Miu should have been the protagonist of Fourze. :colbert:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Elfgames posted:

terrible side characters
Boooooooo

Get in the friendship locker!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Elfgames posted:

The Virgo reveal. Meteor's over-the-top karate yells. The golf episode. JK's focus episode where he finally stops being a tool.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Elfgames posted:

POWAH

DIZER

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, so people liked lots of things about fourze. It is almost as if it was a good show?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Fourze is pretty refreshing considering the majority of high school heroes like peter parker or buffy summers portray the rest of their school as basically the enemy. Even the Might Morphing Power Rangers mostly kept to their own little incrowd. Gentaro faces a lot of the same adversity but never lets up trying to understand others instead of just deciding they are, in fact, their stereotype and not worth his time.

Like compare Miu to Cordelia Chase. Even before she gets relegated to catchphrase duty, Miu is actually very wily and driven, while Cordelia is in fact completely a cheerleader as portrayed by a bitter nerd. Or Kengo, in Spider-Man's world he would've ended up as a villain based on some random animal.

I don't really get the Meteor hate, since he's basically mocking the concept of the loner angsty teenage hero and his confusion at the KRC is pretty funny but whatever. I didn't expect to like Fourze but it ended up being one of my faves.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Acne Rain posted:

the majority of high school heroes like peter parker ... portray the rest of their school as basically the enemy.

leaving aside that spider-man is a grown rear end adult now the idea of a teenager as a superhero and not a sidekick was so insanely novel that spider-man was literally the first one, as was the idea of heroes not being happy shiny members of the community that marvel popularized at the same time

Acne Rain posted:

Or Kengo, in Spider-Man's world he would've ended up as a villain based on some random animal.

literally all of spider-man's enemies are adults though. adults are the enemy.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The reason why people dislike Meteor, at least from what I've seen, is that his issues relate a lot to an earlier rider, Accel. Angry dude who dislikes the protag, and is only so angry because he's driven by revenge.

I do like Meteor's suit design a lot, and his groovy disco theme, and his vocal theme.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
accel loving rules though

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, even the throwaway songs were great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lnvcR4sk1k

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meteor has two major problems.

His arc takes for-loving-ever and it eats the show while it is going on. Just a small eternity of him being a secret poo poo and the show focusing on it instead of anything else. The other is that he really is a light rehash of Accel but executed more poorly, right down to his secret mentor actually being one of the villains seeking to drive the heroes to embrace the dark side in order to defeat the unstoppable chairman.

Oh, wait, and his upgrade is absolutely hideous so that's three problems.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Dexie posted:

POWAH

DIZER

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The rest of the cast owned so much that one lovely character wasn't gonna hurt anything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Meteor has two major problems.

His arc takes for-loving-ever and it eats the show while it is going on. Just a small eternity of him being a secret poo poo and the show focusing on it instead of anything else. The other is that he really is a light rehash of Accel but executed more poorly, right down to his secret mentor actually being one of the villains seeking to drive the heroes to embrace the dark side in order to defeat the unstoppable chairman.

Oh, wait, and his upgrade is absolutely hideous so that's three problems.

The fact that they actually had the narration called the show Kamen Rider Meteor at one point is saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Literally The Worst posted:

accel loving rules though

Accel Returns is one of my favorite Rider movies, and Terui's budding relationship with Akiko was one of the more adorable things about W. :3:

• Locked thread