Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Might well just jump on this once I get my tax return: https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se18t0

Then I'll just get a cheap USB numpad. I can't seem to find a 104-key 55g Topre board and while I use the numpad, I don't use it so often that it's crucial I have a Topre one.

Anyone have one and can comment on how good the feeling of oneness with cup rubber is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So my code in clears just showed up at work and now I can't think of how much nicer a real force would have been.

Once you go Topre you can not stopa.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does that elitekeyboards one look like a good buy, or could I get a 55g Topre board with decent keycaps cheaper elsewhere?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

Once you go Topre you can't stopre.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Been loving my Novatouch but been curious about the HHKB Type-S 55g. Any comparisons? Is the price jump worth it?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Topre rhymes with Oprah not toe-pour

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Been loving my Novatouch but been curious about the HHKB Type-S 55g. Any comparisons? Is the price jump worth it?

I want you to know there is no such thing and it involves cannibalizing a $200+ keyboard for 55g domes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did it. I bought the Topre.

The real test will be to see if I can stand to leave this thing at work or if I'm going to be carting it back and forth every day because I want to use it at home, too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If anyone is in the market for a Bluetooth 104 key board, there is a poll up on Massdrop for the Filco Convertible 2 in either reds, blues, or blacks.

Not that I need another Bluetooth mechanical keyboard but i really want one so who knows.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hello keyboard megathread, it's finally happening. I'm actually seriously considering buying keycaps because my Ducky Zero default ones are starting to get smooth and shiny. I don't mind the shiny part so much, but the smoothness is kinda annoying.

Current caps are what came with the Ducky Zero, laser etched mystery plastic. I don't know which of the alphabet soups is the good plastic.
A local reseller has these for sale for 25 euros, do you guys have any idea if it's a good buy or if I should just suck it up because I'm not paying over 50% the price of the keyboard for caps?

As far as I can tell from 5 minutes of google, the dude's reflection is part of the official KBParadise promotional images. :downs:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

ABS more like AB rear end!! :xd:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Geemer posted:

Hello keyboard megathread, it's finally happening. I'm actually seriously considering buying keycaps because my Ducky Zero default ones are starting to get smooth and shiny. I don't mind the shiny part so much, but the smoothness is kinda annoying.

Current caps are what came with the Ducky Zero, laser etched mystery plastic. I don't know which of the alphabet soups is the good plastic.
A local reseller has these for sale for 25 euros, do you guys have any idea if it's a good buy or if I should just suck it up because I'm not paying over 50% the price of the keyboard for caps?

As far as I can tell from 5 minutes of google, the dude's reflection is part of the official KBParadise promotional images. :downs:
These are the Tai-Hao ones and they're good poo poo. The Ducky Zero has a standard layout as far as I can tell so these will match.

There is no "better" plastic, ABS is quite solid and can hold double-shot legends better, it's just that they go "shiny" with use - but at least the legends won't rub off. If you decide you're not into them, well, you can try out the PBT ones later.

You can probably get them for cheaper from Amazon right at the moment but if you want them straight away it's a not a bad price to pay.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8CDW14/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_AMrVwb1W1ABYA

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you want your keys to stay rough you need to buy PBT caps.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

There is no "better" plastic, ABS is quite solid and can hold double-shot legends better

Well your just wrong.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

These are the Tai-Hao ones and they're good poo poo. The Ducky Zero has a standard layout as far as I can tell so these will match.

There is no "better" plastic, ABS is quite solid and can hold double-shot legends better, it's just that they go "shiny" with use - but at least the legends won't rub off. If you decide you're not into them, well, you can try out the PBT ones later.

You can probably get them for cheaper from Amazon right at the moment but if you want them straight away it's a not a bad price to pay.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8CDW14/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_AMrVwb1W1ABYA

Nice to hear.

I'm in The Netherlands, though. So Amazon is not as attractive an alternative to a Dutch mechanical keyboard reseller. Considering they stock pretty much just Ducky, I'm not too worried about the fit.

I'll have to figure something out for my media and function keys, I guess.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
PBT has the superior finger feel

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
And won't go shiny as its a harder plastic.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
Guys, help, I can't stop buying keyboards.

I got this one about a month ago. It's got cherry mx blue switches and it's great to type on but a bit large for me.

So I ordered this one and it arrived today it's great too. It's got matias click switches in it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

CrapFish posted:

Guys, help, I can't stop buying keyboards.

I got this one about a month ago. It's got cherry mx blue switches and it's great to type on but a bit large for me.

So I ordered this one and it arrived today it's great too. It's got matias click switches in it.

Your problem is that you don't have a split ergonomic board. If you did, you would stop buying more because you'd then be happy with your keyboard (and you don't want to shell out for another one).

Says the person with multiple split mech keyboards.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

leper khan posted:

Your problem is that you don't have a split ergonomic board. If you did, you would stop buying more because you'd then be happy with your keyboard (and you don't want to shell out for another one).

I never really liked the look of a split keyboard. But I've never used one either. How much better is it than a normal keyboard?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

ABS v PBT is just one of those holy war things, like the ones we have over the MX switches on whether you like your keys to be noisy as poo poo or not.

"Shiny" just means it's been broken in. In fact I can get a good idea of where my fingers are on the keyboard just from the feel.

Having said that, there are some sexy PBT sets out there, but they do cost a bit. The Granite drop a few weeks ago would've been great, PBT, double shot, lots of options. In the end I didn't go in that time, having bought too many other stupid things lately, and besides I'm waiting on the Danger Zone ones which finally shipped today.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

CrapFish posted:

I never really liked the look of a split keyboard. But I've never used one either. How much better is it than a normal keyboard?

I can second that using an ErgoDox ruined standard asymmetrical keyboards for me. I'd never pay premium for a keyboard with that layout. Unfortunately that means if I want to feel oneness with cup rubber I'd have to pay $500+ for a uTron.

The Deadly Hume posted:

"Shiny" just means it's been broken in. In fact I can get a good idea of where my fingers are on the keyboard just from the feel.

Geemer said they didn't like that their keys had smoothed out and changed feel. I don't think it's controversial to say PBT maintains a consistent feel far longer than ABS.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Internet Friend posted:

Geemer said they didn't like that their keys had smoothed out and changed feel. I don't think it's controversial to say PBT maintains a consistent feel far longer than ABS.
Yeah that's fair enough. I've worn the legends off keys before, so whatever type of plastic, having durable legends trumps what sort of plastic it is (as long as the plastic itself is durable, of course.)

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

leper khan posted:

nah his problem is that they arent topre switched

The Deadly Hume posted:

ABS v PBT is just one of those holy war things, like the ones we have over the MX switches on whether you like your keys to be noisy as poo poo or not.

Having said that, there are some sexy PBT sets out there, but they do cost a bit. The Granite drop a few weeks ago would've been great, PBT, double shot, lots of options. In the end I didn't go in that time, having bought too many other stupid things lately, and besides I'm waiting on the Danger Zone ones which finally shipped today.

until this thread I have legit never seen a single person advocate abs as superior or even equal to pbt

its really nothing like clicky vs linear

e: i'm thinking about getting a HHKB Pro2 (that tock sound is too loving satisfying) and I can't decide between all black or white + additional expense for a HHKB black keyset to get that sweet sweet storm trooper look

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 12, 2016

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

nah his problem is that they arent topre switched

That'll probably be the next one I buy. But, I'm going to wait awhile for that.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

CrapFish posted:

That'll probably be the next one I buy. But, I'm going to wait awhile for that.

I had 3 cherrys (black brown blue) until I got a realforce 87u 55g and sold everything else

The guy who swayed me had quite a few cherries too before getting a HHKB. He sold them all off and now has 5 topres (novatouch, hhkb, realforce 104 hipro, 87u silent variable, leopold fc660)

Better to get it ASAP cause once you do you'll be wondering why you wasted all that time and money messing around with cherry switches :xd:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I had 3 cherrys (black brown blue) until I got a realforce 87u 55g and sold everything else

The guy who swayed me had quite a few cherries too before getting a HHKB. He sold them all off and now has 5 topres (novatouch, hhkb, realforce 104 hipro, 87u silent variable, leopold fc660)

Better to get it ASAP cause once you do you'll be wondering why you wasted all that time and money messing around with cherry switches :xd:

God damnit I wish EliteKeyboards would just ship my 87U 55g already.

If I end up liking Topre as much as you do, at least I only have one MX board to replace. It's hard not to drool at the HHKB Professional.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So.... where the heck do I get cool keycaps? I'm on a massdrop for these:

but they don't ship until like June or something insane. Where do people get neato keys otherwise?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You sorta don't. You wait. Or wait even longer. Or buy blanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and pay shitloads

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/ might be good, but i've never used it

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

echinopsis posted:

You sorta don't. You wait. Or wait even longer. Or buy blanks

Wait, like wait on Massdrops?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Wait, like wait on Massdrops?

No, he means buy them and wait until June.

Super fancy keycap sets like the ones you linked are almost exclusively sold in the manner Massdrop sells them - the week or two long period where people can purchase them, and the long 1-3 month wait for them to be manufactured and shipped. Sometimes they don't even start production until the buying period is closed, even if they meet the minimum number necessary for the buy to "succeed" a day after the sale. Keycaps are a luxury niche within the already small niche of mechanical keyboards, so it's hard for manufacturers to justify cranking out sets of expensive plastic where there is little demand. Sucks, but it's how the market is right now.

Alternatively you can try eBay for used keycaps.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
This may be a dumb question, but what would an illuminated code keyboard with a custom set of keycaps look like? Would the light leak through enough to be visible a bit? Or would it just look like poo poo?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Thirst Mutilator posted:

No, he means buy them and wait until June.

Super fancy keycap sets like the ones you linked are almost exclusively sold in the manner Massdrop sells them - the week or two long period where people can purchase them, and the long 1-3 month wait for them to be manufactured and shipped. Sometimes they don't even start production until the buying period is closed, even if they meet the minimum number necessary for the buy to "succeed" a day after the sale. Keycaps are a luxury niche within the already small niche of mechanical keyboards, so it's hard for manufacturers to justify cranking out sets of expensive plastic where there is little demand. Sucks, but it's how the market is right now.

Alternatively you can try eBay for used keycaps.

I can wait. I just hear the NovaTouch is kinda loud with the not great stock keycaps. I was thinking I could get something decent in between now and June, and use them on my home mech (the NovaTouch is for work) after I get the Massdrop ones in June.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This may be a dumb question, but what would an illuminated code keyboard with a custom set of keycaps look like? Would the light leak through enough to be visible a bit? Or would it just look like poo poo?

I will tell you as soon as my granite set gets here. I'm curious about this myself.

As it stands I don't use the backlight because it causes people to talk to me about my keyboard. Granites aren't going to help this.

Edit: what I mean to say is ask me in three months.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

EDIT: ^ oh hey - I've got Granites on my CODE in the photo below.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Not great.

I keep it off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Eh, that looks ok. How functional is it in the dark though?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That doesn't look bad at all, and I really would only have it on when necessary which is probably 5% of my use of the keyboard. I just like having the function if necessary, but I would really like to put some different keycaps on the code when I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Eh, that looks ok. How functional is it in the dark though?

Max backlight brightness, screen off

Max backlight brightness, screen on

• Locked thread