Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Otisburg posted:

The official Bespin mat is gorgeous and you should get it.

Bbbbut the perspective isn't accurate for what bespin's orbit would look like!!

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Going back to my parents' this weekend, and I've packed two squadrons to play at the local store. Which means that yesterday I spent a couple of hours mangling bits of foam into shape. gently caress these silly expensive toys.

Tell me about transport and storage options, goons.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Throw them loose into a box together. They will be fine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Counterpoint:
B-wing Wingtip canons, quad lasers on the Decimator.
Source:
Personal experience :smith:

Even lost a couple X-wing canons, though they're pretty forgiving about bending back into shape a few times.

I use pluck foam.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Otisburg posted:

Counterpoint:
B-wing Wingtip canons, quad lasers on the Decimator.
Source:
Personal experience :smith:

Even lost a couple X-wing canons, though they're pretty forgiving about bending back into shape a few times.

I use pluck foam.
The only thing I lost was the cannon on one of my Z-95s, still don't know where it ended up. The only time I had B-Wing cannons bend is when me and my foam carrier bag were hit by a motorbike, something which also fractured my wrist and snapped one of the wings on my Hound's Tooth, so overall the B-wings are pretty durable. Thank god that the inties I was also carrying didn't snap.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I had a friend who wisely recently quit magic at the height of the latest bubble and sold all his cards to the shop, at $1300 store credit. Before I could stop him, he said he wanted a new 40k IG detachment to go with his small space marine army. I had taught him X-wing but hadn't gotten to play a full game with him yet. I'm sure I could've had him hooked, saved from the clutches of GW, like the 2 friends before. :negative:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

I had a friend who wisely recently quit magic at the height of the latest bubble and sold all his cards to the shop, at $1300 store credit. Before I could stop him, he said he wanted a new 40k IG detachment to go with his small space marine army. I had taught him X-wing but hadn't gotten to play a full game with him yet. I'm sure I could've had him hooked, saved from the clutches of GW, like the 2 friends before. :negative:

Purge the unclean

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's really sad because even $1300 retail could've p much bought him everything he needs for several top tier tournament armies right now and allow him enough room for a couple waves. Like he could buy Brobots, VSP, Poe/Corran/Dash/A, 4 TLT, including all the ships just for upgrade cards...

Meanwhile, $1300 GW retail probably means a couple platoons with heavy weapons teams and a tank.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 12, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Sever

his head from his shoulders

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm not sure I have spent $1300 on this game and I've been in since day 1.

Around here, we've had a lot of people jumping ship from WH. I hear their stories of that game and I die a little inside each time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

enigmahfc posted:

I'm not sure I have spent $1300 on this game and I've been in since day 1.

Around here, we've had a lot of people jumping ship from WH. I hear their stories of that game and I die a little inside each time.

This is retail we're talking about, though. Looking at han shopped first you can get all of that minus duplicates that I didn't care enough to sift through for $900. So maybe $750-800 after removing duplicates?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sever

his head from his shoulders

:eyepop:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I'm tempted to do this to see if I can make some nerds* freak out.

Tekopo posted:

Thank god that the inties I was also carrying didn't snap.
A man with his priorities straight.

*I know I'm posting in a forum about toy spaceships

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I painted my wang, pretty pleased with how it's turned out.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I don't buy the defender hype. It's definitely moved out of garbage tier, but the dial is still trash. no boost. High PS Aces will dance around pick them apart. I can't see any competitive lists having them as a core. Soontir still rules the 30+ point range by a huge margin, and vader is still second.

That said, as a thing to round out a list, they have a place. I'm sure veterans will have a ps 5-6 with EPT, which opens up interesting (if not expensive) options. Predator/Marksmanship + Ion/Tractor & tie/D. A threat your opponent can't ignore leaving Omega leader and Soontir go to work.

With the z7 title, it's a ship that's better at being elusive than consistently putting guns on target so it's a good decoy ship. And a generic with Juke would do a decent job of it.

I'm still hoping the unspoilt unique pilot does something really cool and is top tier, but with low PS I have doubts.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
How is the Defender's dial trash? I've always sort of liked it, but the points associated with the Defender meant I always chose something else. I definitely like the idea of Defenders being used more often (at all, really), but I don't go along with the whole gamebreaking, sky is falling talk that comes along with Imperial Aces.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The ps1 Defender x7 with twin ion engine mk ii for 29 points is a hell of a buy. The mk ii engines more than fix the dial, you don't have to worry about getting blocked, and you get a free evade for a white k-turn. I wouldn't be surprised to see it showing up in competitive play.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The red hard turns kill it. Defender lives and dies on its actions and there's almost no good ways for it to get action economy outside Vessery which is still made difficult thanks to a dearth of target locks. It's why Rexler is rubbish, he'll almost never have a spare focus token. I had a laugh at someone earlier wanting more action economy from Poe. poo poo man, he's capable of taking 3 actions without ending up stressed and on top of that his focus can be used multiple times. What more could you want?

The red turns mean it basically needs the tie engine mod to shed stress without going straight (into the teeth of a swarm). They're just really predictable ships and because of that, easy to focus down.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
with the white kturn I've never missed the hard turns. One thing you can say about it is you can pull a hard turn when your opponent isn't expecting it, having planned for the more obvious kturn.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Defender is cool and good, sure. But it's not a meta changer. 28 for the PS1 with x7 title. Same points as the T-70 PS4 red veteran with Autothrusters and an EPT to spare. If you ask me it's almost a wash, but in the current meta I'd prefer the T-70 almost every time.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The red hard 1 turn is why I consider it a 'faster' ship, and somewhat less agile. The MK II title does make it better, though, and I have a feeling I will prefer the Tidy title to make a bit more of a hit-harder kind of chip. I have a feeling i will never take more than 1 Defender on a list, but I like the fact that soon (well, soon in FFG title, so July...) we may be seeing Defenders work its way into the mix. I do agree that the T70 may be a better choice in some instances, but that's one of the things I like best about X-Wing - nearly every ship (except the Syke) has a place depending on people's play styles.

And yeah, thinking that Poe needs any kind of fixing or nudging up at this point is pretty dumb.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm thinking Mareek with Marksmanship, tractor and tie d is going to be the pick of the builds. Expensive, but a brute of a ship.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ro5s posted:

Did you have to re-primer the ship, or did you just paint right over the original coat? That looks gorgeous.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Did you have to re-primer the ship, or did you just paint right over the original coat? That looks gorgeous.

Thanks :v: I just painted over the original, it covered fine without primer.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010
I simply cannot beat Rebel regen aces.

I've been running a standard Soontir+Vader+Palpmobile list and it chews up most things, but just gets destroyed by Rebel regen aces. Last night I played 2 games about Poe+Miranda+Blue Squadron (T70 w/ R2D2) and couldn't get a single ship off the board. I'm thinking about dropping Palpatine for Omega Leader to counter Poe. Thoughts?

Weirdneal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 12, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ro5s posted:

That is a very clean and fine looking wang you have there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's a nice wang. I wish I had a nice Black One.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The T-70 is a great ship but the survivability of a t-70+autothrusters doesn't really compare to Tie Defender X7- the X7 title very comparable in value to 3PO on the falcon- a free evade most turns but not every turn.
Again I don't know if people who are saying it's not a meta changer have seen the mathematical efficiency of the ship now. It doesn't need to lean on its white k-turn to be a good ship-
For reference- the Z-95 is the 'best' ship in the game on raw die efficiency and gets the reference value of 100. This doesn't include other factors but suffers from a weak dial and 2-dice attacks being weak vs a lot of the current meta %. The defender went from an abysmal 77.2%, which is about the level of most turreted ships (that aren't TLT Y-wings), to 102% (assuming 75% activation of the evade ability). The defender, of course, has a pretty sweet dial, especially with the Tie mkII mod (which does drop its efficiency to about 100%).
That's why people are talking about how the defender is going to shake up the meta. It's now one of the best ships in the game at raw jousting, without the weaknesses of its competitors.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think some of it is dampened by the fact that it doesn't change the base 2-ace + Palpatine scheme that Imps have going for it right now. You can even go with triple ace (3 amigos) and that list is still solid, but less popular due to Palpatine. You'll still fire for effect at not-Soontir first and it doesn't matter if it's Vader or a defender.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Weirdneal posted:

I simply cannot beat Rebel regen aces.

I've been running a standard Soontir+Vader+Palpmobile list and it chews up most things, but just gets destroyed by Rebel regen aces. Last night I played 2 games about Poe+Miranda+Blue Squadron (T70 w/ R2D2) and couldn't get a single ship off the board. I'm thinking about dropping Palpatine for Omega Leader to counter Poe. Thoughts?

I don't know how you fly it but when I fly against any ship with regen, I try to get every single gun I can on the target that takes the first point of damage and ignore everything else until that dude is dead. I may try to get Miranda first just because she seems the most susceptible to attacks with her single defense die.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Irom posted:

I don't know how you fly it but when I fly against any ship with regen, I try to get every single gun I can on the target that takes the first point of damage and ignore everything else until that dude is dead. I may try to get Miranda first just because she seems the most susceptible to attacks with her single defense die.

Yeah, I focused on Miranda, but she would just 3 bank and SLAM and be out of range for a 2nd attack and then I've got my guys pointed at nothing. Guy I was up against is one of the better players in the area too so he knows how to fly well.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So I played in my first league on Monday with a list I made for fun, Wedge with Outmaneuver and R2, Garven with Torps, and Horton with ion canons. I did ok, but got torn apart when I got into it with TIE swarms. What's the best way to deal with them if I'm Rebels? Should I be splitting up my ships to draw them away from each other, or concentrate a joust to take out the ace of the swarm?

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Weirdneal posted:

Yeah, I focused on Miranda, but she would just 3 bank and SLAM and be out of range for a 2nd attack and then I've got my guys pointed at nothing. Guy I was up against is one of the better players in the area too so he knows how to fly well.

at least if Miranda bugs out she can't activate her regen ability

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

sarmhan posted:

The T-70 is a great ship but the survivability of a t-70+autothrusters doesn't really compare to Tie Defender X7- the X7 title very comparable in value to 3PO on the falcon- a free evade most turns but not every turn.
Again I don't know if people who are saying it's not a meta changer have seen the mathematical efficiency of the ship now. It doesn't need to lean on its white k-turn to be a good ship-
For reference- the Z-95 is the 'best' ship in the game on raw die efficiency and gets the reference value of 100. This doesn't include other factors but suffers from a weak dial and 2-dice attacks being weak vs a lot of the current meta %. The defender went from an abysmal 77.2%, which is about the level of most turreted ships (that aren't TLT Y-wings), to 102% (assuming 75% activation of the evade ability). The defender, of course, has a pretty sweet dial, especially with the Tie mkII mod (which does drop its efficiency to about 100%).
That's why people are talking about how the defender is going to shake up the meta. It's now one of the best ships in the game at raw jousting, without the weaknesses of its competitors.

I think this perfectly illustrates why it won't be game breaking, actually. Please show me the meta defining list which revolves heavily around the Z95 as a cornerstone.

Oh, there isn't one?

Funny, that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Gate posted:

I think this perfectly illustrates why it won't be game breaking, actually. Please show me the meta defining list which revolves heavily around the Z95 as a cornerstone.

Oh, there isn't one?

Funny, that.

Uhhhhhhhh.....uhhhhhh I mean you still have people still not liking this list 2 years later

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

hoiyes posted:

I don't buy the defender hype. It's definitely moved out of garbage tier, but the dial is still trash.

The dial is scary with /x7. It can turn/Evade, K/Evade, straight/Evade, bank/Evade, or forego the Evade to catch you snoozing. Being able to keep a Defender in arc to where it, and none of its companions, can shoot back at you is legitimately challenging. You really should play this matchup if you haven't, particularly DVD with a three-ship list. It is brutal.

quote:

no boost. High PS Aces will dance around pick them apart. I can't see any competitive lists having them as a core. Soontir still rules the 30+ point range by a huge margin, and vader is still second.

I don't know what else to say besides "no." Vader is still eminently playable, but depending on your local meta, Soontir oscillates between "decent" to "suicidally bad choice." When I made the jump to trying out Empire full-time, I used Soontir as the fulcrum to build plenty of lists around, and I came away unhappy. His hard counters counter him too hard, if that makes sense. Empire's magic number isn't even 35 anymore - it's 26, to fit in OLeader, who is (in my mind) unquestionably a better inclusion in most lists than Soontir Fel is.

quote:

That said, as a thing to round out a list, they have a place. I'm sure veterans will have a ps 5-6 with EPT, which opens up interesting (if not expensive) options. Predator/Marksmanship + Ion/Tractor & tie/D. A threat your opponent can't ignore leaving Omega leader and Soontir go to work.

DVD is nothing but meta-shredding efficiency. I don't know why people think staying out of three well-deployed arcs is easy, even for someone like Fel; DVD does not fly like a swarm does, and I think many people may believe that? I think the best answer to the list is actually generics with munitions or something like The Gate suggested, BBBBZ. Three aces versus DVD is punishing. Try it.

quote:

With the z7 title, it's a ship that's better at being elusive than consistently putting guns on target so it's a good decoy ship. And a generic with Juke would do a decent job of it.

I'm still hoping the unspoilt unique pilot does something really cool and is top tier, but with low PS I have doubts.

Even at PS1, an /x7 Defender gets Focus/Evade every turn. You can either shoot at it - and not hit, most likely, or hit and plink away at the 6EHP - or it can shoot you back with a modified three-dice attack. The white-K is a constant threat, and even if you plan for it, there are two other Defenders extant on the board, one of whom you must evade at all costs or die (Vessery w/ Tractor Beam and Ruthlessness or whatever and an Ion Cannon). The other Defender pilots being released would have to have the same "prohibitively expensive" trait that most people decried about the original batch in order to avoid being meta-warpingly good.

I realize this isn't a popular tack to take, because unreleased content has so many "but if"s attached to it, and I fully recognize that I could be hilariously wrong. I'm saying that as printed, barring knowledge of any other future updates, Defenders become terrifying. Those of you who do have matchup experience, please teach me, because the only success I have ever had against DVD is with POW, once, and with a gimmicky Guri + Concussion/Chips Zs list. They're not "decent," they're not "well I guess they're okay now," they're very, very good. As someone who is generally "down" on new content, and who deliberately avoids hype trains, Imperial Veterans has me excited/concerned.

enigmahfc posted:

And yeah, thinking that Poe needs any kind of fixing or nudging up at this point is pretty dumb.

Not as dumb as Boba on a small ship, heyooooo

But seriously no it isn't dumb. If you look at the game from a purely balance perspective, Poe has terrible action economy, multiple hard counters, and a mediocre dial. If you think Poe is broken or anything resembling it, you are probably not great at X-Wing. He has advantages for the tourney-circuit, for sure, but one of them is "he has very little in the way of fancy tricks that you can mess up." When you're playing sixteen hours of X-Wing on a given Saturday, or whatever, "limits pilot error" is a much more attractive option than having to write KALLUS CLOAK FCS DECLOAK FOCUS on your hand and hoping it doesn't get smudged or you just don't forget.

ro5s posted:

That looks incredibly clean and neat. I seriously love this. Nice job, man.

re: regen aces - the T-70's dial is mediocre if you aren't running Ello Asty. Poe will be Focusing every turn that he wants to shoot, will get shot at, or wants to regen. You can use this knowledge when planning, plus knowledge of the mediocre dial, to line him up in arc and kill him. Omega Leader hurts him bad; PS11 Vader hurts him bad; Soontir Fel can token-tank reliably through any shot that a T-70/T-70/TLT list can get. Miranda, if she wants to regen, is throwing pitiable amounts of dice at you, and must attack to regen shields. She also makes a poor "kill first" target because of SLAM and her turret. Burn down the wangs and you should be fine. Do not split your fire - focus one target until it dies, and then move on. VFP can absolutely win this matchup.

EDIT:

The Gate posted:

Oh, there isn't one?

Funny, that.

I feel like you completely missed the point of that post. The Z-95 is pound-for-pound the first-or-second most efficient ship in the game atm, next to or ahead of the TIE Fighter; the new Defender is more efficient, therefore better at the joust, and lacks the conventional weaknesses of the Z-95 and TIE Fighter.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 12, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

hoiyes posted:

I'm thinking Mareek with Marksmanship, tractor and tie d is going to be the pick of the builds. Expensive, but a brute of a ship.

Yeah, definitely gonna run this setup. Should I bother with any missiles on him?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Gate posted:

Oh, there isn't one?

Funny, that.
Did you actually read my post? Zs and cheap ships in general suffer from 2 attack dice being bad in the current meta, having bad dials, and/or being prone to being picked off.
Tie defenders have none of these problems, including an actively good dial. This combined with unparalleled dice efficiency is why they are good. They get the biggest advantage of a swarm without most of the downsides.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
They're still very inefficient on red dice, though? Almost 30 points for 3 red dice isn't good. It's attached to a very durable body, sure, probably more durable than 2 Z95, but it's not pouring out tons of hits for that cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Chill la Chill posted:

Uhhhhhhhh.....uhhhhhh I mean you still have people still not liking this list 2 years later

Okay, but the list isn't called 3Z and Han. It's Fat Han. Plus whatever escort you choose, one of which is 3Z. The Z95 isn't the cornerstone of the list.

Edit: also people hate Han, not Z95's.

• Locked thread