Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I remember the first FNM where Odyssey was legal I built a deck based around Upheaval/Zombie Infestation because I saw someone lose to that in sealed at the pre-release. The deck was awful but I went 4-0 anyway and everyone complimented me on having such a cool original deck. I wonder if any of them remembered saying that to me a few months later when they were losing to good Tog decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
24 lands, 36 act of treason effects

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think Eldrazi would be a broken deck with either of the lands banned. It would just lose its consistency.

I think if either of the lands get banned it's not a deck at all anymore. It could probably survive temple being banned in some form, but if eye goes as everyone seems to assume I don't see any build surviving.

That's the main reason I'd like to wait on all the ban talk-see if there is something that can come up and challenge it and/or shake up the metagame because any of the bannings just kill it dead. And it's very unlikely that anything in the future would revive the archetype.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I posted up that interview I did with Ian Duke a while back, and I was sort of able to follow up with him this past weekend when I went to cover Pro Tour Atlanta. It's a pretty surreal experience to actually be there are not competing, but I had a fun time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Btw I wouldn't worry about the low price of UG madness if the components are reprinted (doubtful) because every list will contain Jace and that's your entire deck price right there

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

Same but for Simoon and Undead Gladiator, the latter whose removal from the modo cube is a huge travesty.

Same but for the once Best Two Drop of All Time, Wild Mongrel.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

alansmithee posted:

I think if either of the lands get banned it's not a deck at all anymore. It could probably survive temple being banned in some form, but if eye goes as everyone seems to assume I don't see any build surviving.

That's the main reason I'd like to wait on all the ban talk-see if there is something that can come up and challenge it and/or shake up the metagame because any of the bannings just kill it dead. And it's very unlikely that anything in the future would revive the archetype.

All of the solutions I've seen so far (obviously it's only been a week so :shrug:) are either comically bad, like Painter, or arguably worse for the format, like Ensnaring Bridge and Worship. The problem is I don't think there's anything in the format (outside of killing them on turn 2/3) that's capable of beating their very good draws, and their best draws kill you on turn 2 through 5 toughness worth or blockers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
PV in his article today saying that he thinks Blood Moon should be banned :coffeepal:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

In what, Modern? Which decks are even playing it right now?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

alansmithee posted:

The problem is that there is almost assuredly something that could challenge the deck. The problem is that when you end up with Caw Blade and anti-Caw Blade your format sucks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Everything and anything red that isn't tron, I believe.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

PV in his article today saying that he thinks Blood Moon should be banned :coffeepal:

That's quite the cherry pick out of a list of cards that fall in line with the idea of banning splinter twin in an article that isn't even about bannings :psyduck:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

I shouldn't overstate what he said, he doesn't make an impassioned argument or anything, just includes it on a list of cards that would be banned if he had his druthers

quote:

As much as I would love for that to happen (along with a couple other bans, such as Mox Opal, Inkmoth Nexus, Simian Spirit Guide, Gitaxian Probe, Blood Moon, etc.)

Zoness posted:

That's quite the cherry pick out of a list of cards that is rather reasonable.

Well I mean, that's why I mentioned it and not the other cards? It's a pretty big non sequitur :shrug:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zoness posted:

That's quite the cherry pick out of a list of cards that fall in line with the idea of banning splinter twin in an article that isn't even about bannings :psyduck:

Probably because he wrote another article like 6 months ago that was also calling for a Blood Moon ban and his main problem with it boiled down to "he doesn't like playing against it" and had nothing to do with what it did to the format as a whole.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Well I mean, that's why I mentioned it and not the other cards? It's a pretty big non sequitur :shrug:

Blood moon fits in that list in terms of cards that he considers to make modern less interactive.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

Blood moon fits in that list in terms of cards that he considers to make modern less interactive.

I mean if you know they have blood moon maybe you should consider not being so greedy with your mana base, hm?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Hey guys.

I'm hosting an event in Baltimore on the 20th, so if you're on the east coast you should consider coming by!

The event is a Modern 1k, with a Mox Ruby door prize. We're also randomly giving away a foil Tarmogoyf to someone who shares our event and likes our Facebook page before Thursday. You don't have to come to the event to win the goyf, either.

Links:
The event
https://www.facebook.com/events/1688811814735245/

Our page
https://www.facebook.com/MooseLootLLC

If any of you guys are local, make plans to show up! I hope to see you guys there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

Paulo's on record asking for the entirety of 8th and 9th Editions to be banned from Modern (e.g. Blood Moon, Ensnaring Bridge, all of the Tron lands) as well as Lantern (which is straight up a hate-ban since removing 8th Edition would kill Lantern as a deck), Wasteland banned from Legacy and during Theros standard I remember him talking about wanting Pack Rat banned, too. Not to mention Mox Opal, Inkmoth Nexus, Simian Spirit Guide, Gitaxian Probe, Goryo's Vengeance, etc.

People seem to get really upset when they realize the pros don't like the lucksack poo poo that Modern by its nature enables. Owen pretty much spelled out the actual reasoning why so many high level players don't like Modern as a competitive format, but everyone got mad because Owen can be a dick sometimes.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 12, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

I mean if you know they have blood moon maybe you should consider not being so greedy with your mana base, hm?

Since I play affinity and storm and love doing terrible things to my opponent I don't really share PV's views but I can at least empathize with them. He wants to play as many spells that interact with as many decks as possible and that means the BGx or URx decks need to have good mana. What it basically comes down to is that modern's mass appeal comes from things that aren't as fun to a pro who favors consistency over power level in deck choice (PV's playstyle in a nutshell).

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Instead of banning Ensnaring Bridge or loving Lantern they should make all the actually opressive stax cards legal in Modern like, let's say, Winter Orb, Contamination, and Smokestack itself.

I'd even settle for just the original Braids

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Instead of banning Ensnaring Bridge or loving Lantern they should make all the actually opressive stax cards legal in Modern like, let's say, Winter Orb, Contamination, and Smokestack itself.

no one would play original braids, that card is way too slow and vulnerable

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

I forget that we arent supposed to interact with lands

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Smokestack and Braids are terrible though. Even Contamination would only be borderline playable in Modern.

Stasis, on the other hand... :getin:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 12, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I forget that we arent supposed to interact with lands

The only moral interactions are my interactions

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

What you guys are discounting is that Braids is insanely cool

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Elyv posted:

no one would play original braids, that card is way too slow and vulnerable

dies to doomblade too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

dies to doomblade too

Braids is black.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Andrast posted:

Braids is black.

Braids is also not black. :v:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So, I haven't played competitive in a long time. I bought an Eye of Ugin for a Daretti EDH deck for $4 about a year ago. The dang thing is now worth $40 ish. Is is epected to eat a ban any time soon? Should I dump it now, or will it continue to increase in price?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zoness posted:

Since I play affinity and storm and love doing terrible things to my opponent I don't really share PV's views but I can at least empathize with them. He wants to play as many spells that interact with as many decks as possible and that means the BGx or URx decks need to have good mana. What it basically comes down to is that modern's mass appeal comes from things that aren't as fun to a pro who favors consistency over power level in deck choice (PV's playstyle in a nutshell).

I mean pretty much the whole problem is that you don't have to choose consistency over power level in any practically meaningful way anymore, unless you define power level solely as winning on turn 4 or earlier, but that means that cards like lotv, decay, goyf etc. aren't "powerful" which seems pretty silly.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I think I would be for cutting the old core sets out of modern. There are a few cards from the sets that are from a previous era that really warp modern play. Weird, really specific hate cards like choke, blood moon, bridge, and even fringe playables like worship that will be seeing a lot of play soon in modern as well.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

So, I haven't played competitive in a long time. I bought an Eye of Ugin for a Daretti EDH deck for $4 about a year ago. The dang thing is now worth $40 ish. Is is epected to eat a ban any time soon? Should I dump it now, or will it continue to increase in price?

It's either getting banned or the deck will get shut down hard by metagame answers. Sell now, don't ever look back.

JerryLee posted:

I mean pretty much the whole problem is that you don't have to choose consistency over power level in any practically meaningful way anymore, unless you define power level solely as winning on turn 4 or earlier, but that means that cards like lotv, decay, goyf etc. aren't "powerful" which seems pretty silly.

There were zero of any of those "powerful" cards in the Pro Tour top 8.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Someone tell me if the game day playmat is actually good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ancestral Vision being banned is pretty much comical at this point.

Sickening posted:

Someone tell me if the game day playmat is actually good.

It's the Zendikar Resurgent art with goofy Chandra face.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 12, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

Ancestral Vision being banned is pretty much comical at this point.

Speaking of why has that card spiked to almost double what it was about a month ago?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Speaking of why has that card spiked to almost double what it was about a month ago?

Because Aaron Forsythe referenced it as a card that would be looked at for an unban.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cernunnos posted:

It should still be banned.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Because people bought in thinking it might get unbanned, and @mtgaaron tweeted that with splinter twin gone cards like it could possibly come back, so people are holding.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Because people bought in thinking it might get unbanned, and @mtgaaron tweeted that with splinter twin gone cards like it could possibly come back, so people are holding.

Maybe it'll be legal to play in some states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It should still be banned.

There's no legitimate reason that Ancestral Vision is banned given that the game is probably decided by the time it resolves and its one of the most miserable topdecks in Magic.

• Locked thread