Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

I really dig the style of the armor and the crisp shininess of the graphics in general in this game. It's a shame y'all didn't pick orcs / bretons / redguards, because that's clearly the coolest faction.

Uh no gently caress that. You clearly haven't had to trudge through the same storyline for 3 fuckin zone. Plus Emeric is kinda insufferable.

Reggin, Omar and the rest of the PvP crew all rolled DC at launch because PvP reasons, and ended up leaving pretty quickly. The few that remained ended up rolling EP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

JackBadass posted:

Sorry, but I can't hear you over how much better I look in my light and medium armor than your ugly rear end heavy armor with no benefits.

You'd think light and medium armor would have better acoustics.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 12, 2016

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

radiatinglines posted:

I really dig the style of the armor and the crisp shininess of the graphics in general in this game. It's a shame y'all didn't pick orcs / bretons / redguards, because that's clearly the coolest faction.

I am DC on my character. Name is same as my SA user.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

DC's story is alright. The whole thing suffers because High Rock is the most conventional of fantasy looking provinces though.

Edit: But some people like that, so thats alright IMO.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 11, 2016

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

DC's story is alright. The whole thing suffers because High Rock is the most conventional of fantasy looking provinces though.

Yeah, I like that though. It's not gray and depressing to grind through, at least.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
So far AD's story has been pretty sad for the elf queen, when you know what happens in the future and the prominence of the Thalmor within the Dominion :saddowns:

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

radiatinglines posted:

I'll make an argonian as soon as I come up with a name.
For reference, they're Ebonheart Pact. Bosmer, Altmer and Khajiit for AD.

Aramek posted:

Bad-With-Names.

Also this is great.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Raruna posted:

So far AD's story has been pretty sad for the elf queen, when you know what happens in the future and the prominence of the Thalmor within the Dominion :saddowns:

My bad on doublepost but this is sort-of true. It's like everything she tries to accomplish is undermined by assholes. And daedra worshippers. And fish elves. But it's kinda hilarious if you treat the KINMUNE thing as canon (lol) because then it's like the Heritance (who I imagine infiltrate the Thalmor in the future) shot themselves in the foot. "By the Eight, she's just what we needed! drat it all!"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Dvsilverwing posted:

But I want the Legion to control everything. :(

Yeah, we're a few hundred years before Tiber Septim's Legions curb-stomped the rest of Tamriel into Oblivion (perhaps literally, given the whole Big loving Robot thing). These are the Legions that serve the tattered remnants of the Cyrodiilic Empire of the Reman Dynasty and Akaviri Potentates. They're still a threat, but the latest Empress is basically a puppet for Mannimarco and his Worm Cult, who's totally worshiping Molag Bal now, hence why they're helping with the Planemeld, and he's totally not planning to betray Bal or anything, no sir.

Legions nowadays are Daedra worshippers basically planning to institute Daedric rule on the rest of Tamriel, specifically Molag Bal, and if you know anything about him, that's... not really a good thing.

Just picture yourself as a Last Legionnaire or something, fighting to free his homeland so it can rise up and crush them all a few hundred years later when some guy from Atmora Alcaire wherever rises up and crushes them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

For reference, they're Ebonheart Pact. Bosmer, Altmer and Khajiit for AD.

Also this is great.

Oh poo poo, I was confused because the OP says most goons play EP. I fuckin hate altmer, but khajiit are cool I guess.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, we're a few hundred years before Tiber Septim's Legions curb-stomped the rest of Tamriel into Oblivion (perhaps literally, given the whole Big loving Robot thing). These are the Legions that serve the tattered remnants of the Cyrodiilic Empire of the Reman Dynasty and Akaviri Potentates. They're still a threat, but the latest Empress is basically a puppet for Mannimarco and his Worm Cult, who's totally worshiping Molag Bal now, hence why they're helping with the Planemeld, and he's totally not planning to betray Bal or anything, no sir.

Legions nowadays are Daedra worshippers basically planning to institute Daedric rule on the rest of Tamriel, specifically Molag Bal, and if you know anything about him, that's... not really a good thing.

Just picture yourself as a Last Legionnaire or something, fighting to free his homeland so it can rise up and crush them all a few hundred years later when some guy from Atmora Alcaire wherever rises up and crushes them.

Though there are "good" legions still, milling around. You run into them here and there usually in the zones around, iirc there's a whole squad in Reapers March that are basically from Colovia, which is largely independent of Cyrodiils and daedra influence for the time being. You run into friendly legion soldiers in Cyrodiils fighting daedra and stuff too.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
This game had a plot?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Made a khajiit named Fujen, the same as my druid from the nostalrius server if anyone played that.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Out of veteran zones so far, only one I've really liked is Alik'r Desert for its aesthetics and Ra'Gada. It's a welcome change from conventional and gloomy DC, but the last zone looks it carries on with the tradition.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

JackBadass posted:

This game had a plot?

I actually thought the Vestige storyline (i.e. everything you do with The Prophet and crew) was pretty good by TES standards. The final quest, at least, was pretty drat cool and definitely felt more like an end than any TES since climbing Red Mountain to fight Dagoth Ur (or at least attack the Heart a few times).

By far the easiest 'traumatic choice' I've ever had to make in any game ever, though. 'Oh, who do I have to pick? A cool Nord girl, a cool Redguard, or the guy who caused this whole god drat mess in the first place AND is now super old? Yeah, let's go with Door 3 there, chief pretty drat cool Imperial. Final answer.'

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Without going into the details because it seems like there's a lot of new players joining the thread right now, it'd interesting to see the numbers on what people pick, honestly.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

Without going into the details because it seems like there's a lot of new players joining the thread right now, it'd interesting to see the numbers on what people pick, honestly.

I took door three as well, just because I didn't give a poo poo about any of them.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

I actually thought the Vestige storyline (i.e. everything you do with The Prophet and crew) was pretty good by TES standards. The final quest, at least, was pretty drat cool and definitely felt more like an end than any TES since climbing Red Mountain to fight Dagoth Ur (or at least attack the Heart a few times).

By far the easiest 'traumatic choice' I've ever had to make in any game ever, though. 'Oh, who do I have to pick? A cool Nord girl, a cool Redguard, or the guy who caused this whole god drat mess in the first place AND is now super old? Yeah, let's go with Door 3 there, chief pretty drat cool Imperial. Final answer.'
Door 3 is the only choice. You hit it on the nose.

JackBadass posted:

I took door three as well, just because I didn't give a poo poo about any of them.
Though all 3 are pretty paper-thin, you know there's only one choice.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Door 3 is the only choice. You hit it on the nose.

Though all 3 are pretty paper-thin, you know there's only one choice.

I just wanted the resto staff.

This game really needs reskinning like TSW.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Dude, get with AD party. People talkin' about anal, art films and how bad tanking is while giving away free poo poo on the reg and being the nicest groupers I've seen.

This is 100% true. I hope cross-faction doesn't ruin pugging on AD, it's the only place where it works smoothly.

Sky Shadowing posted:

That's how try #1 goes. On tries #2-#8, it's: "Finally, I can see the other- never mind, gently caress that guy."

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Aramek posted:

Dog bloggin'

If you want a picture of last night's Nerien'eth fight, imagine this dog chewing on a human face -- forever.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Edit: Got the invite thanks!

Passburger fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 12, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Passburger posted:

Hey goons, I'd like to join the goon-guild.

Invite sent!

e: vvv You, too!

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 12, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
@Capetorial requesting invite (that's a capital 'C') to Ebonheart.

e: got it, thanks!

Verge fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 12, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah, I chose door 3 as well. Story reasons aside, his voice really annoys me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dude, get with AD party. People talkin' about anal, art films and how bad tanking is while giving away free poo poo on the reg and being the nicest groupers I've seen.

If I wanted to roll with a three-raid, prox-nado spamming blob of bananas in Cyrodiil, I would have gone with AD.

Seriously, trying to fight any amount of AD outside of the Axe of Belzhara campaign (stomping on AD there is like clubbing baby seals really) goes like this:

-Take a resource
-Start sieging the keep
-Watch the yellow tidal wave rush out of the keep from every opening imaginable
-Fall back to our captured resource and try to bottleneck them into our killbox
-Watch as they completely overwhelm us with sheer numbers because for every 3 DPS, the have 2 healers spamming Breath of Life, Barrier, and Purge and insta-rezzing anyone who dies (Battle Resurrection + Templar passives + Kagrenac's 5pc) and because their mere presence of 60 people makes the game lag to a lovely 1998 era slideshow.

It's retarded poo poo like the above that makes me glad we're getting the Vicious Death set and caps to Barrier and Purge.

Gonna run Alchemist + Vicious Death with Prox Det/Soul Tether for maximum burst now and watch the hordes of yellow fall to friendly fire.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
Just bought the game, I have not played since beta but I have heard a lot of good things about the changes they have made. After reading this thread I am excited get back into it. Any good newbie tips? Do I still need to join Ebonheart to play with the Goon guild or have they changed that?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Scyantific posted:

If I wanted to roll with a three-raid, prox-nado spamming blob of bananas in Cyrodiil, I would have gone with AD.

Seriously, trying to fight any amount of AD outside of the Axe of Belzhara campaign (stomping on AD there is like clubbing baby seals really) goes like this:

-Take a resource
-Start sieging the keep
-Watch the yellow tidal wave rush out of the keep from every opening imaginable
-Fall back to our captured resource and try to bottleneck them into our killbox
-Watch as they completely overwhelm us with sheer numbers because for every 3 DPS, the have 2 healers spamming Breath of Life, Barrier, and Purge and insta-rezzing anyone who dies (Battle Resurrection + Templar passives + Kagrenac's 5pc) and because their mere presence of 60 people makes the game lag to a lovely 1998 era slideshow.

It's retarded poo poo like the above that makes me glad we're getting the Vicious Death set and caps to Barrier and Purge.

Gonna run Alchemist + Vicious Death with Prox Det/Soul Tether for maximum burst now and watch the hordes of yellow fall to friendly fire.

Haven't done any PvP stuff yet. If I'm gonna I'll roll a new character in EP and run with you guys. Or wait for the cross-faction stuff and use my main. I dunno. But group dungeons, trade, chat and general atmosphere are great if you wanna do that kinda stuff in AD.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

All of that except PvP is grewt in Ebonheart, too. And despite my prospensity at sniffing out and capturing forts for the Goons (at least when I'm active), PvP doesn't interest a lot of the Goons.

Also, gently caress Nazi Elves on principal. :colbert:

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Indeed. They do suck. Though the Nazi variety are the ones you fight against in AD. The Bosmer and Khajiit, however, are awesome and, along with Argonians, are the only not-poo poo races on Nirn. Well, maybe-kinda the Redguards, too.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

All of that except PvP is grewt in Ebonheart, too. And despite my prospensity at sniffing out and capturing forts for the Goons (at least when I'm active), PvP doesn't interest a lot of the Goons.

We had a goon crew doing PvP a few weeks back, but on of them got banned for disturbing an ERP session and they haven't returned.

Also please remain active for more than 2 days when TG launches.

Pretty sure ennu and I (and by extension, Pluto) will be in PvP once TG goes live since getting Magicka Detonation will be much easier now (my stamina sorcerer is pretty much poised to unlock everything in the assault and support skill lines with the new changes).

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Logic posted:

Just bought the game, I have not played since beta but I have heard a lot of good things about the changes they have made. After reading this thread I am excited get back into it. Any good newbie tips? Do I still need to join Ebonheart to play with the Goon guild or have they changed that?

Yup Ebonheart Goons is still the way to go. Plenty of green text still happening! I'm playing a dunmer at the moment and just got to 16. Still fresh, in case you want a leveling buddy and are inclined to go Pact. :) (Handle is: @bloodyolchap)

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Pretty sure ennu and I (and by extension, Pluto) will be in PvP once TG goes live since getting Magicka Detonation will be much easier now (my stamina sorcerer is pretty much poised to unlock everything in the assault and support skill lines with the new changes).

Definitely. Would be nice to get some ult from kills, too.

Logic posted:

You can be whatever faction you want in the Goon guild. Most people are Ebonheart, so if you're into PvP (e: or want a leveling buddy, forgot about that :blush:), you'll want to be Ebonheart, too. Otherwise, we can put pledge runs together on whatever faction now, and true cross-faction dungeons are coming with Thieves' Guild in a month.

My standard advice is: do what's fun. The questing part of the game is pretty forgiving and you can respec everything (but race and class), so you don't have to minmax as you go. There's plenty of room to experiment with skills and put together a build you enjoy (here's an example). Speaking of which, try to level every skill to the morph, especially after level 50 when you'll have plenty of skill points. Sometimes a really good skill (Repentance) is hidden behind a so-so skill (Restoring Aura).

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 12, 2016

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I made the mistake of making my cook an AD khajit NB. I gave him all the recipes for a long time. He is only lvl 12, but closing on max provisioning. Eventually I will have to level him some at least. Point me toward some preferred NB builds?

Also, should I care about leveling legerdemain before the TG release. Haven't don't much with that yet.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"We reduced the effectiveness of Breath of Life so that each class can fulfill each role, promoting diversity"

Literally a thing that Eric Wrobel said about the BoL nerf.

I mean you can buff up Restoration Staff to be as good as Restoring Light, but gently caress that right? Better to gimp one class than to buff one weapon line.

Paging Doomfunk to the thread, please start an in-studio petition to have Wrobel fired and replaced with someone who actually knows how the gently caress the game works because he is so. god. drat. disconnected.

E: Oh man apparently this ESO Live was nothing but pure comedy gold. Definitely gonna have to watch that tonight when I get home from watching Deadpool

E2: Apparently his "proposed fix" for shield stacking is to "add cast times to damage shields." :laffo:

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 12, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

I made the mistake of making my cook an AD khajit NB. I gave him all the recipes for a long time. He is only lvl 12, but closing on max provisioning. Eventually I will have to level him some at least. Point me toward some preferred NB builds?

At level 12, everything works. Some combination of funnel health, anything on the assassination line (including death stroke), and weapon skills (hello crit rush/brawler) should carry you comfortably into level 30. Eventually, you'll need to specialize and here are some ideas. Despite my love of stamina, I'd recommend the magicka build for endgame PvE. Particularly if khajiit crit works on spells (it was going to, I don't know if they did it yet).

Scyantific posted:

E2: Apparently his "proposed fix" for shield stacking is to "add cast times to damage shields." :laffo:

I kind of understand where this is coming from, because PvP is going to be ridiculous when everyone has barrier in a month. But I think the smarter play is to make shields ignore resist (already done) and cap them at max health.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how exactly does scaling work in non-vr pvp campaigns? i was loving around in the sewers and came across a level 32 tanky as gently caress dk who honestly took ten minutes of rear end kicking before he died and i have no idea what the hell he was doing to make him so loving beefy.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Watched the ESO Live from today. Too tired to do a full summary so here's a tl;dr:

Fire Wrobel.

Right.

loving.

Now.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

just stop caring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how exactly does scaling work in non-vr pvp campaigns? i was loving around in the sewers and came across a level 32 tanky as gently caress dk who honestly took ten minutes of rear end kicking before he died and i have no idea what the hell he was doing to make him so loving beefy.

Everybody gets scaled to "v16 stats", which winds up giving more health and less mainstat (and thus damage) than any self-respecting v16 would have. As a result, it's difficult to put out top damage at low levels, but it's not too hard to stack toughness with crafted heavy armor at the armor/spell resist hard cap, a purple beverage, health/mag/stam pots, corrosive armor, igneous shields, green dragon blood, and (optionally) being a nord.

Just be thankful that at level 32 he doesn't have access to engine guardian or (for dk's) blood spawn gear. That fight might still be going on.

• Locked thread