Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

There's no legitimate reason that Ancestral Vision is banned given that the game is probably decided by the time it resolves and its one of the most miserable topdecks in Magic.

And if you play it T1 or T2 your chances of winning the game are like 70%. No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gyshall posted:

dies to doomblade too

realpost "dies to removal" is actually a legitimate criticism for cards that cost 4+(and maybe even cards that cost 3), it's just not necessarily the end-all be all

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A 4 mana card that dies to the most popular spell in the format for 1 mana and no additional value probably is not going to be good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

And if you play it T1 or T2 your chances of winning the game are like 70%. No thanks.

That's a pretty cool completely made-up-on-the-spot figure you got there.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A 4 mana card that dies to the most popular spell in the format for 1 mana and no additional value probably is not going to be good.

I mean, Olivia saw play.

The difference is that Olivia is really really good if you get to untap with it, while Braids is pretty mediocre in almost all circumstances

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's also at least possible to get value off it instantly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

That's a pretty cool completely made-up-on-the-spot figure you got there.

It's from Shardless testing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I don't get what you are trying to communicate. Shardless Agent isn't legal in Modern, so you're talking about a different format as far as I can tell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

A lot of Shardless cards, like Shardless, don't exist in Modern and don't have equivalent cards to make this comparison 1:1

E: I think it's actually more telling that no decks play it that aren't ripping three for free off of their gray ogres

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 12, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get what you are trying to communicate. Shardless Agent isn't legal in Modern, so you're talking about a different format as far as I can tell.

Yes. A more powerful format and Visions warps games in that format. Why wouldn't it be even more oppressive in Modern?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shardless wouldn't be legal even if they wiped the banlist clean, it wasn't printed in a standard legal set ever.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yes. A more powerful format and Visions warps games in that format. Why wouldn't it be even more oppressive in Modern?

Because you can't brainstorm it away or for an easy draw 3 and seriously, it loses a lot without Shardless.

E: have you seen the decks in Modern that want it? They all suck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because you can't brainstorm it away or for an easy draw 3 and seriously, it loses a lot without Shardless.

Most of Visions' power is to play it on T1 or T2 and draw 3 a few turns later, not to cascade into it. Yeah it's a bad late game top deck but so what? It's oppressive if you get it down early.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
terminus is good in a more powerful format why isn't it good in modern?

it's almost like

"______ is good in a more powerful format why isn't it good in a less powerful format" is a bad way to evaluate a card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Most of Visions' power is to play it on T1 or T2 and draw 3 a few turns later, not to cascade into it. Yeah it's a bad late game top deck but so what? It's oppressive if you get it down early.

So then by your logic it should be a 4 of in basically every grindy Blue deck in the format, and probably a few more besides.

Why isn't it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

terminus is good in a more powerful format why isn't it good in modern?

it's almost like

"______ is good in a more powerful format why isn't it good in a less powerful format" is a bad way to evaluate a card.

This isn't a valid comparison. You need deck manipulation for Terminus to be good. If you just fart Visions out on T1 or T2 it's oppressively good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

So then by your logic it should be a 4 of in basically every grindy Blue deck in the format, and probably a few more besides.

Why isn't it?

You talking about Legacy? Or modern? It would be a 4 of in every slowish blue deck in modern.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: have you seen the decks in Modern that want it? They all suck.

I mean, I would play it in Faeries, but I have no illusions that Faeries is something other than a fun Tier 2 or even 3 deck that gets to occasionally bust out Time Walks attached to 4/4s. I don't think the card would even be all that good.

Sure, its good on turn 1, but its not like you can predict the gamestate in Turn 5 - the decks that want AV are the decks that don't compete very well right now because they're dead on Turn 5 or close to it, in which case Visions is a fair enough card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You talking about Legacy? Or modern? It would be a 4 of in every slowish blue deck in modern.

In Legacy.

There are no good slowish blue decks in modern currently, despite what some posters in this very thread might tell you about Scapeshift and Tron.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

This isn't a valid comparison. You need deck manipulation for Terminus to be good. If you just fart Visions out on T1 or T2 it's oppressively good.

How do you even get them out that soon with these as your cascaders instead of good creatures that can hold jittes?

Jitte isn't even modern legal. poo poo.

Kathari Remnant ain't close to BBE or Shardless Agent and the rest aren't even bodies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Except that is exactly what he is saying: those decks either don't exist or suck and need something to be made better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

In Legacy.

There are no good slowish blue decks in modern currently, despite what some posters in this very thread might tell you about Scapeshift and Tron.

So why not make Jace legal too? there aren't any decks that would play it, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

So why not make Jace legal too? there aren't any decks that would play it, right?

Finally, a good idea.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Jace requires blue at all to be good. There are decks in Modern that add U to their mana pools.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Shortest Path posted:

It's either getting banned or the deck will get shut down hard by metagame answers. Sell now, don't ever look back.

There were zero of any of those "powerful" cards in the Pro Tour top 8.

Well yeah but surely you agree that they are typically (ie when not in the grip of a sudden meta game distortion due to a powerful new set or two) some of the stronger cards in Modern?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Finally, a good idea.

No it's not a good idea. Oppressive cards will find a way to be oppressive no matter what the metagame looks like at any point in time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That's the best idea you've suggested in a long time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I dont think this card will ever be oppressive :(

mcmagic posted:

You're pointing out the crux of the comparison yourself - the context surrounding the card makes it stronger in a format with the tools to make it good as opposed to how the card would be in a format without those tools. Ancestral in modern isn't necessarily oppressive despite how powerful it can be in legacy because the cards that enable the broken scenarios don't exist in modern and the value of individual cards is lower because fewer of them can be relevant by turn 4.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

In Legacy.

I've never once made the claim that Blue Tron is good, just that it's a ton of fun and it's not nearly as bad as people like to think it is. I also would play exactly 0 copies of Ancestral Vision and maybe 1 Jace.

mcmagic posted:

No it's not a good idea. Oppressive cards will find a way to be oppressive no matter what the metagame looks like at any point in time.

Jace would only be good in blue midrange/control decks, and only against other midrange/control decks. Tapping out on turn 4 is a pretty good way to die in modern. Of course if we're playing Spirit Guides, we can turn 2 a Jace and get a whole Brainstorm in before we die.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Isn't Painful Truths the better card draw spell when you don't have Shardless Agent?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

I dont think this card will ever be oppressive :(

You're pointing out the crux of the comparison yourself - the context surrounding the card makes it stronger in a format with the tools to make it good as opposed to how the card would be in a format without those tools. Ancestral in modern isn't necessarily oppressive despite how powerful it can be in legacy because the cards that enable the broken scenarios don't exist in modern and the value of individual cards is lower because fewer of them can be relevant by turn 4.

My point is that visions doesn't need cascade to be overpowered.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You call yourself McMagic, but your posts are really McTragic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't Painful Truths the better card draw spell when you don't have Shardless Agent?

No. It's the fixed version of Visions.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I, for one, cannot wait for your sick Trinisphere deck; the card was, after all, restricted in Vintage, an even more powerful format than Legacy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

No. It's the fixed version of Visions.

The problem is that you're not answering the question of what deck becomes oppressive with Visions in the format. Prior to last month, you could at least have argued the answer was Twin.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that you're not answering the question of what deck becomes oppressive with Visions in the format. Prior to last month, you could at least have argued the answer was Twin.

it's obvious, the blue deck from the blue block of magic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

That isn't the rational for unbanning a card. It doesn't have to slot right into an existing deck to be too powerful for a given format.

Elyv posted:

I, for one, cannot wait for your sick Trinisphere deck; the card was, after all, restricted in Vintage, an even more powerful format than Legacy.

I cut them from my 75. But yea there are tons of dumb cards legal in legacy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Everyone knows the only good Standard deck has 4 each of the cards too powerful for Legacy, Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gonna do some Oath drafts tonight on MODO, haven't even touched the format but I've watched a few streams. Any tips/recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

That isn't the rational for unbanning a card. It doesn't have to slot right into an existing deck to be too powerful for a given format.
So basically you're gonna stick with "it seemed good in my Shardless Agent deck?" Or is the powerful tech of being able to counter a Mox Opal on turn 1 by pitching it to Disrupting Shoal?

• Locked thread