Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

zoux posted:

Is that really a huge problem?

we had kids trying to sneak into loving Fifty Shades of Black, Deadpool is absolutely going to be a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

One of my preferred local theaters doesn't allow anyone under 17 into an R rated film after 6pm even with an adult. I'm sure it sucked for 15-17 year olds but it's fantastic for everyone else. Because any other theater there's always some rear end in a top hat bringing a 10 year old kid into some movie they absolutely shouldn't be at and ruining it for others.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

we had kids trying to sneak into loving Fifty Shades of Black, Deadpool is absolutely going to be a problem

No, If kids were ever gonna sneak into a movie it's this one, I just didn't know it was something that happened to the point of being a nuisance.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Here in the UK it's straight-up illegal to let kids into movies they're too young for. Apart from 12A, under 12's can get into those if they're accompanied by an adult.

I think the first 12A movie was the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man, before that it was just 12 and under 12's weren't allowed in at all. Deadpool's been rated 15 over her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

One of my preferred local theaters doesn't allow anyone under 17 into an R rated film after 6pm even with an adult. I'm sure it sucked for 15-17 year olds but it's fantastic for everyone else. Because any other theater there's always some rear end in a top hat bringing a 10 year old kid into some movie they absolutely shouldn't be at and ruining it for others.

The only time I had childs ruin my experience was when parents brought a bunch of kids to the Ang Lee Hulk, and that was 100% marketing's fault.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Honestly it's adults who ruin my movie going experience more either due to using/talking on their phone or trying to be a comedian and quip at the movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Theoretically how rich would one need to be to just get a copy of a movie delivered for your home theater room on theatrical release? Surely everything has a price, but I assume there are rules about what legally constitutes a theater or whatever.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Deadpool was good, the right mix of comedy and pathos the character needs and the humor was rapid fire but not "Lol random"

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Electromax posted:

Theoretically how rich would one need to be to just get a copy of a movie delivered for your home theater room on theatrical release? Surely everything has a price, but I assume there are rules about what legally constitutes a theater or whatever.

There is actually a super expensive service that does exactly this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

The only time I had childs ruin my experience was when parents brought a bunch of kids to the Ang Lee Hulk, and that was 100% marketing's fault.

Heh. I just remembered how like a week after Ang Lee Hulk happened there was a commercial that was practically begging you to check it out with an open mind based on all the bad word of mouth it was getting.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Electromax posted:

You can just have a private screening at the theater.

http://www.auroracineplex.com/rental-information-area-51-aurora-cineplex/

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

omg chael crash posted:

There was also talk a couple years back of a streaming service that would be approx. $40 per movie for titles about a week after they hit theaters, but I don't know what happened to that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Heh. I just remembered how like a week after Ang Lee Hulk happened there was a commercial that was practically begging you to check it out with an open mind based on all the bad word of mouth it was getting.

They had green Hulk slurpee cups and hulk hands and commercials with badass rock music, all aimed at children. Everyone wanted to make this the new Spider-man, except the guy actually making the stupid movie. It's insane, did no one drop by the set to check what was going on?

Like, they sold it as basically Iron Man, but then audiences got some depressing poo poo that featured a woman getting stabbed in the heart in front of her son. No loving wonder people weren't happy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zachack posted:

There was also talk a couple years back of a streaming service that would be approx. $40 per movie for titles about a week after they hit theaters, but I don't know what happened to that.
Some studios tried the 'simultaneous release in theaters and VOD' but the theaters refused to go along with that idea and the studios backed down. I tend to think that the site you are talking about was a casualty of this.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lurdiak posted:

Ang Lee ruined Ang Lee's Hulk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Yeah it costs like $50k for the hardware (just the player/security/storage. Projector and other stuff is on you) and I think $500 for a 24 hour rental.

Edit: $35k, and they require you buy a 10 rental package up front. So $40k to get it installed. It's called Prima.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 13, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I dont want to start a huge argument but I have to say this every time the movie comes up in conversation, I really, really like Ang Lee's Hulk. It's definitely in my top five movies featuring Marvel characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently Deadpool is beating even the most optimistic projections box office wise so far. Looking like it may be near $90 million domestic on opening weekend. It may end up being the best R rated opening of all time. I've been dying for this to come out but even I thought it would be a modest niche success at best. The marketing campaign they pulled off seems to have been a miracle.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

X-O posted:

Apparently Deadpool is beating even the most optimistic projections box office wise so far. Looking like it may be near $90 million domestic on opening weekend. It may end up being the best R rated opening of all time. I've been dying for this to come out but even I thought it would be a modest niche success at best. The marketing campaign they pulled off seems to have been a miracle.

With a 58 million production budget, how much money would've been put into marketing? I'm presuming at this rate they'll triple the money they put into it or something before blurays come along.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know how marketing is budgeted but as annoying as it was, the marketing for Deadpool was way more thought out and persistent than most Fox movies.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Travis343 posted:

I dont want to start a huge argument but I have to say this every time the movie comes up in conversation, I really, really like Ang Lee's Hulk. It's definitely in my top five movies featuring Marvel characters.

I'm with ya.
However it funny thinking of a six year old trying to sit through it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

Two weeks ago it was tracking at $50 mil, so that's pretty impressive

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilmiera posted:

With a 58 million production budget, how much money would've been put into marketing? I'm presuming at this rate they'll triple the money they put into it or something before blurays come along.

They got a lot of mileage out of very little, because everything they did went viral.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Travis343 posted:

Seeing it three times (not all in theatres) I've had a tumultuous relationship with that movie. First time I saw it, I loved it. Second time I saw it, I hated it. Third time I saw it I balanced out to "it has some good bit and some astonishingly terrible, stupid bits." They definitely tried some interesting things, but I feel like very few of them actually worked.

On the other hand, Hulkified lap dogs.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

catlord posted:

Seeing it three times (not all in theatres) I've had a tumultuous relationship with that movie. First time I saw it, I loved it. Second time I saw it, I hated it. Third time I saw it I balanced out to "it has some good bit and some astonishingly terrible, stupid bits." They definitely tried some interesting things, but I feel like very few of them actually worked.

On the other hand, Hulkified lap dogs.

Hulk in that movie expressed sheer, unabated rage better than any Hulk we've seen on screen since then. The 'puny human' scene was especially well done. The entire lab escape/desert fight/city rampage sequence is incredible and still beats most of the action set pieces in the Avengers movies. I think I'll watch it again this weekend, in fact.

And the Hulk poodles were awesome, bizarre, and hilarious.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Human Torch will be ducking Avengers meetings for the next month at least because even he knows what's coming.

"Come on, Johnny! I'm just messing with you! Hey, it's not so bad. I was in a bad movie too! Yeah. Remember? I was in that ONE bad movie. And you were in... let's see... How many bad movies were you in...?"

*slowly lifts up four fingers*

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

This was last page, and I meant to see this when it first dropped, but let me just say
a) that was way better than it had any right to be for an amateur film
b) the way they did this so you could easily dub it over in literally any language is loving brilliant

Kudos to the team behind this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Ang Lee Hulk the one where Glenn Talbot is killed by a freeze-frame?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it costs like $50k for the hardware (just the player/security/storage. Projector and other stuff is on you) and I think $500 for a 24 hour rental.

Edit: $35k, and they require you buy a 10 rental package up front. So $40k to get it installed. It's called Prima.

Cool, thanks. Always wondered how common that might be. Would be interesting to see their customer list and their rental stats.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's interesting all the quirks it has. It downloads everything that's released by participating studios each week, so that it's ready to go right away when you want to watch it and so your $500 movie rental isn't interrupted by a service outage. It uses a fingerprint sensor so only the authorized user can use it. And that $500 rental is for one viewing, not as much as you want in 24 hours. It requires a background check, you need to have a room that seats fewer than 25 people to put it in, and you're required to have a public static IP for it. You can pause, but not rewind. You can't move the system or it self destructs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yep. And he gets a thick white outline too. It's impossible to overstate that moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's interesting all the quirks it has. It downloads everything that's released by participating studios each week, so that it's ready to go right away when you want to watch it and so your $500 movie rental isn't interrupted by a service outage. It uses a fingerprint sensor so only the authorized user can use it. And that $500 rental is for one viewing, not as much as you want in 24 hours. It requires a background check, you need to have a room that seats fewer than 25 people to put it in, and you're required to have a public static IP for it. You can pause, but not rewind. You can't move the system or it self destructs.

I know it probably just breaks down if you attempt to seriously move it but I just picture someone's dog running into the side and their house going up in a fireball.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wheat Loaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSGXERUKBj4

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
trip report: we had a showing of deadpool every hour from 5 to close and all of them sold 70-99% of seats

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Now I'm sort of wanting a movie where Doctor Doom hires Deadpool to take on the Fantastic Four or something. We just make Deadpool the Spider-Man figure for the team on occasion.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

JediTalentAgent posted:

Now I'm sort of wanting a movie where Doctor Doom hires Deadpool to take on the Fantastic Four or something. We just make Deadpool the Spider-Man figure for the team on occasion.

Nah, I have a better idea.

"When my men reported a crazed Canadian in the Fantastic Four's craft, I knew it had to be you!"

"Where's my money, honey?"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Where's my loonies and toonies, Doomie?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool made a record $41 million on Friday alone and is now on track for a $115 million 4 day weekend. Will in all certainty be the highest opening R rated film of all time.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

X-O posted:

Deadpool made a record $41 million on Friday alone and is now on track for a $115 million 4 day weekend. Will in all certainty be the highest opening R rated film of all time.

Two sentences that seven years ago (*cough* Origins) I would never have imagined reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Two sentences that seven years ago (*cough* Origins) I would never have imagined reading.

To put in perspective if that holds it'll beat the opening weekends of every other X-Men movie and MCU movies like Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier. On a literal fraction of the budget and in February. And no inflated 3D ticket prices.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 13, 2016

• Locked thread