Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mithaldu posted:

January's top downloads. I'm disappointed at the Vita community.
Welp, they can just republish that list every month and save the trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CrashCat posted:

Hope you thought Pokemon wasn't grindy enough

Lol I have not had to grind in this game at all. I've got Digimon at champion level that I've just left sitting in the Digi Island and I just got to chapter 4. The game will definitely get grindy later on when I'm nearing the end and want certain Mega's, but grinding near end game for that poo poo will be fine.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

CrashCat posted:

Hope you thought Pokemon wasn't grindy enough

If you're playing on Normal you basically never need to grind unless you're trying to do the optional bosses.

And even if you do want to grind you can get Digimon that give you a silly amount of bonus EXP just for using them.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Schrodingers cat posted:

Hopefully you haven't fully left yet because V is basically the best answer. If you ever played FFTactics and enjoyed it, PSP game or not, you owe it to yourself to get Tactics Ogre (Let us kill together). If you're into more comical and sometimes very weird humour, Disgaea 4 is pretty great.

I mean, I own LUCT and all the Disgaea games already.

Unless the Vita version of D4 is substantially different, I don't particularly want to buy it again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hey Vita thread, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is loving awesome. Everyone should be playing it.

dark titsanime is right

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone buy Cyber Sleuth so I can play the sequel with the English voice acting it so rightfully deserves

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baal posted:

Lol I have not had to grind in this game at all. I've got Digimon at champion level that I've just left sitting in the Digi Island and I just got to chapter 4. The game will definitely get grindy later on when I'm nearing the end and want certain Mega's, but grinding near end game for that poo poo will be fine.

lmao that there are apparently people who have to grind in pokemon

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

mandatory lesbian posted:

dark titsanime is right

agreed

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I mean, I own LUCT and all the Disgaea games already.

Unless the Vita version of D4 is substantially different, I don't particularly want to buy it again.

Oh my bad.

I don't think it is except for getting all the DLC for free, if I recall.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Emong posted:

If you're playing on Normal you basically never need to grind unless you're trying to do the optional bosses.

And even if you do want to grind you can get Digimon that give you a silly amount of bonus EXP just for using them.

Is incredibly easy to get caught in the grinding. I'm on chapter 4 and I have three Ultimates already: Metal Greymon, WereGarurumon and Etemon. The only thing that is stopping me from getting them to Mega is the lack of Memory in my party.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Emong posted:

Good point, I forgot there was a mode besides Hard mode. And also there are items to boost XP and a few other ways to abuse grinding.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I bought Steins;Gate a while ago but stopped playing it because the main character was absolutely insufferable. Not even in a, "you're supposed to dislike this guy" kind of way--it felt more like the writers were trying really hard to write a cool and aloof dude and instead this is what we got. Does it get better after the first couple of hours?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Okabe is the best

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I never really liked him but the plot gets interesting enough after the first few hours that it didn't really bother me

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Agrias120 posted:

I bought Steins;Gate a while ago but stopped playing it because the main character was absolutely insufferable. Not even in a, "you're supposed to dislike this guy" kind of way--it felt more like the writers were trying really hard to write a cool and aloof dude and instead this is what we got. Does it get better after the first couple of hours?
When it starts dawning on him that hosed up poo poo is actually happening instead of just the hosed up poo poo he imagines all the time it gets kinda interesting. Then you also gotta try and figure out how much of it is still bullshit, which is probably the real reason he's made to be such a wacko in the first place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really don't get having to explain or somehow rationalize Okabe's character in a "he gets better later" sort of way, his antics even in the early game were a major reason why I liked Steins;Gate in the first place. He's such a hammy goofball and it was really refreshing having a VN MC that wasn't just a blank slate "Heroic" sort of character. It does get even better when the serious poo poo hits the fan but I always found the early parts of the game incredibly entertaining as well, especially his interactions with Kurisu.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My favorite part about Okabe Rintarou is his proof that he's his older self sending a message is "no you never grow out of being a hammy goofball"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I really don't get having to explain or somehow rationalize Okabe's character in a "he gets better later" sort of way, his antics even in the early game were a major reason why I liked Steins;Gate in the first place. He's such a hammy goofball and it was really refreshing having a VN MC that wasn't just a blank slate "Heroic" sort of character. It does get even better when the serious poo poo hits the fan but I always found the early parts of the game incredibly entertaining as well, especially his interactions with Kurisu.

Finally, someone with some sense

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. It sounds like the character and/or the writing might just not be for me. But I'll jump back into it for a couple more hours to see how it goes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

I got the platinum trophy, I think it runs fine (maybe it seems like garbage if you're used to the PC version or something idk but it always felt pretty smooth to me other than the super long load time when you boot up the game)

Any big rooms had super crazy slowdown. I actually managed to get it to basically completely freeze and just hitch forward every few seconds in the run below where I dared to have more than like 2 pets. That game barely ran on PC at times either though.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 12, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nicalis are loving awful.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Dungeon Travelers 2 question. I didn't understand how the respec system worked and didn't respec my skill points at level 30. Now my main party is around level 37-38, they are mostly okay skill builds but there's a couple of things I maybe would do differently. My understanding is that I get another free respec at level 50, and that I shouldn't worry about it much for now? If anything I'm a little overleveled for where I'm at in the main story.

Also, I read somewhere that weapon specialization skills are pretty bad? I dumped a bunch of points into sword skill for my main fighter, then changed to Samurai and feel like those are a lot of extra wasted points if I want to use a katana (currently using the Master Sword).

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Agrias120 posted:

it felt more like the writers were trying really hard to write a cool and aloof dude
That is an amazing misreading and i'm honestly curious how you get that out of the nerdy guy who's just trying to live a cool anime and gets constantly embarrassed and flustered because the people around him (except for faris) just aren't down with that poo poo. Heck, the game literally tells you what's going on, with Daru going "hey stop it with your 'cool teenager complex'" and the game instantly throwing up a dictionary entry that details what that means.

He's meant to be an awkward walking gag with an obvious screw loose.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baal posted:

Everyone buy Cyber Sleuth so I can play the sequel with the English voice acting it so rightfully deserves

What games does Bandai bother doing this with other than DBZ?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Nayruto games get dubbed

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

h_double posted:

Dungeon Travelers 2 question. I didn't understand how the respec system worked and didn't respec my skill points at level 30. Now my main party is around level 37-38, they are mostly okay skill builds but there's a couple of things I maybe would do differently. My understanding is that I get another free respec at level 50, and that I shouldn't worry about it much for now? If anything I'm a little overleveled for where I'm at in the main story.

Yeah, as long as you're not getting your rear end kicked too badly I'd just wait for 50. That also happens to be around the level you'll be going into the postgame at, at which point you'll want to respec anyway because what works in the postgame isn't the same as what works in the main story.

quote:

Also, I read somewhere that weapon specialization skills are pretty bad? I dumped a bunch of points into sword skill for my main fighter, then changed to Samurai and feel like those are a lot of extra wasted points if I want to use a katana (currently using the Master Sword).

They're worth like a 1-2% damage bonus for every point you put in them. You'll max them out eventually if you do the postgame because the game just starts to throw huge piles of skill points at you at high levels, but don't invest more than a couple of points in them early on. On the other hand, you don't want to overlevel your active skills early on either, because some of them start to get really expensive. The game really seems to want you to spread your points out among a variety of skills, at least at first.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

was I the only one who thought the kill zone vita game was kinda fun?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

h_double posted:

Thuryl already beat me to most of these answers but you're at a point where I wouldn't bother. If you're about that level and overleveled I'd place you at probably the Onsen and you'll get arguably the best scout and warrior gameplay wise there so you can just catch them up for their points.

Weapon skills get poor returns at about level 4 on (exceptions: spieler mastery sucks but is weapon agnostic, fan and projectile mastery is a bit better per point but fans are inferior to longswords raw damage wise and kunoichi suck rear end) but it's kinda sorta balanced out by the fact you get more atk so eh. You want to maintain a healthy balance depending on your team makeup since having highly leveled skills on TP-hogging classes early is an exercise in misery.

A Samurai should always use a katana due to their skills and sword mastery does not apply as katanas are affected by katana mastery gameplay wise. I'd argue both should apply since Samurais are kind of doo-doo compared to dark lords and it'd be a decent balance boost but that's how it is. I suppose you could just lean on frost slash more but you lose the higher marks on samurai in that they're very good against heavy armored targets and can do alright single target against stuff that isn't undead or magical. Power charge is just way too useful on bosses for the most part and bosses that are magical or undead pretty much dump on samurai's damage.

EDIT: Always use a 2H Katana as 1H katanas blow for the most part and fighters are all about being slow and having high ATK to crush past defenses.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 12, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Any big rooms had super crazy slowdown. I actually managed to get it to basically completely freeze and just hitch forward every few seconds in the run below where I dared to have more than like 2 pets. That game barely ran on PC at times either though.

there was definitely slowdown on the vita version, but it's not spelunky ice caves levels or anything. it's also pretty inconsistent since I can go entire runs without slowdown sometimes. livable, but the vita version definitely isn't the best one. tho it wouldn't be even if it ran perfectly since afterbirth doesn't even have a release date for consoles/handhelds last I checked

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

was I the only one who thought the kill zone vita game was kinda fun?

Not at all, it was super fun.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Killzone: Mercenary is probably the best game in the franchise.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Baal posted:

Everyone buy Cyber Sleuth so I can play the sequel with the Steve Blum it so rightfully deserves

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Policenaut posted:

It was certainly much better than Shadow Fall

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is exactly what I meant thank you

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
There should be more good FPSs on Vita, cause it turns out the gyroscopic aiming Killzone and a few others did is actually super great instead of a dumb gimmick like you'd expect it to be.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just finally finished Cold Steel, good lord Falcom sure as hell knows how to do an ending because I'm now dying to know just where the story goes after everything went wrong all at once. Gonna suck to wait like an entire year or so for the sequel! A quick question thoug: what's Nightmare difficulty like? Right now im thinking of either starting Cyber Sleuth or speed running Cold Steel on NG+ Nightmare to get the trophies I missed the first time around (I.e. School dance garbage) and get my platinum, but if it's going to be like a fifty hour slog even with the fast forward on I'll just go be a digi-tamer.

Digimon, digital monsters, Digimon are the champions!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

mandatory lesbian posted:

dark titsanime is right

I heard it's a Bandai Namco game with a Bandai Namco translation with a Bandai Namco sensibility of game design.

Thus, it can never be good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Slur...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Policenaut posted:

Just finally finished Cold Steel, good lord Falcom sure as hell knows how to do an ending because I'm now dying to know just where the story goes after everything went wrong all at once. Gonna suck to wait like an entire year or so for the sequel! A quick question thoug: what's Nightmare difficulty like? Right now im thinking of either starting Cyber Sleuth or speed running Cold Steel on NG+ Nightmare to get the trophies I missed the first time around (I.e. School dance garbage) and get my platinum, but if it's going to be like a fifty hour slog even with the fast forward on I'll just go be a digi-tamer.

Digimon, digital monsters, Digimon are the champions!

Ugh I'm afraid to start Cold Steel because I'm afraid it's going to be other TitS1 situation where I want that sequel so hard and it's ages away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, probably. I like pretty much all of them (I even get some sick enjoyment out of the original game and the balls hard PSP one) but Mercenary feels the most solid all around.

Slur posted:

I heard it's a Bandai Namco game with a Bandai Namco translation with a Bandai Namco sensibility of game design.

Thus, it can never be good.

:how: