Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tae posted:

Do you get any XP for:
-Killing zombies
-Killing allies under mind control

Guessing no on allies but you definitely do for zombies. So yeah, farm that extra kill if you know you can take out the sectoid next turn anyway (or if he's the last alien left).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bolow posted:

Melee in general becomes a whole lot less useful by the time you're rolling with Plated Armor/Mag Weapons/EXO Suits. Bladestorm triggers post attack so it doesn't prevent melee damage and is mostly a shittier version of return fire that will only kill the most severely weakened enemies by end game.
First off, you're dead wrong -- Bladestorm triggers pre-attack. Apart from that, I have Warden/War suits and plasma weapons and I still find constant uses for Bladestorm, so I don't know what to tell you.

ADVENT guys coming up with stun lancers? Bladestorm. Berserkers? Bladestorm. Chrysallids? Bladestorm. Archons who've been put into Battle Fury? Bladestorm. Faceless? Bladestorm. Andromedons with a dead pilot? Bladestorm. Throwing down a Mimic Beacon in the middle of my squad so everyone blunders right into being flanked? Bladestorm on every dumb motherfucker to run by.

It's not a one-hit kill, no, but it doesn't need to be. If anyone who's even half-dead tries to pull melee poo poo on your Ranger, you have overwhelming odds that they'll be all the way dead before they can actually make the swing. Taking away the aliens' melee game is extremely valuable. Extra attacks are valuable. Bladestorm is underrated.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I wonder if it's possible to mod in a kind of graphical effect for all the tiles your soldiers have already walked through, so as to let you know where is safe to go? It's annoying having to worry about triggering extra packs and thinking 'if I send a guy there, will my vision radius extend further than it already has?' for every movement you try to make. Punishing aggressive play is pretty silly and makes cover-destroying grenades excessively valuable compared to other choices, but I can't really think of any proper solution.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also, scared to actually try it, but does the Cover ability of the WAR suit basically make the character invisible to the enemy?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tae posted:

Also, scared to actually try it, but does the Cover ability of the WAR suit basically make the character invisible to the enemy?

No. They are still targettable, so putting them in some form of cover before activating that is your best option.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Brainamp posted:

No. They are still targettable, so putting them in some form of cover before activating that is your best option.
What's the dang point of that ability, then? If there's cover there, you don't need to make cover there.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

CapnAndy posted:

What's the dang point of that ability, then? If there's cover there, you don't need to make cover there.

The point is that high cover is not always available, which is what the ability gives. Better than when it was a Mec ability, since those beefy fucks couldn't actually get in cover, unlike those using the war suit.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

CapnAndy posted:

First off, you're dead wrong -- Bladestorm triggers pre-attack. Apart from that, I have Warden/War suits and plasma weapons and I still find constant uses for Bladestorm, so I don't know what to tell you.

ADVENT guys coming up with stun lancers? Bladestorm. Berserkers? Bladestorm. Chrysallids? Bladestorm. Archons who've been put into Battle Fury? Bladestorm. Faceless? Bladestorm. Andromedons with a dead pilot? Bladestorm. Throwing down a Mimic Beacon in the middle of my squad so everyone blunders right into being flanked? Bladestorm on every dumb motherfucker to run by.

It's not a one-hit kill, no, but it doesn't need to be. If anyone who's even half-dead tries to pull melee poo poo on your Ranger, you have overwhelming odds that they'll be all the way dead before they can actually make the swing. Taking away the aliens' melee game is extremely valuable. Extra attacks are valuable. Bladestorm is underrated.

Even if swords are underwhelming; bladestorm is a good skill. Its just its against implacable which is insanely useful. Use whatever fits your play style. Bladestorm takes more setup and risk to work but it can do a buttload of damage and/or save your butt in the right situations.

Brainamp posted:

The point is that high cover is not always available, which is what the ability gives. Better than when it was a Mec ability, since those beefy fucks couldn't actually get in cover, unlike those using the war suit.

It ends the turn and sux. Sure it gives you an extra high cover to use, but you have to put the user in high cover or he will get burned down. Then it just opens you up to aoe.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Now if it spawned high cover for a turn, that'd be amazing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't even know there were blaster bombs in this game.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I thought it was pretty weird on the final mission when I found the human terranium it was pretty hypocritical of theme to outlaw pets. A couple of up close screen shots http://imgur.com/a/srZNH

I didn't notice the crayon drawing when I was playing. That's...troubling.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 12, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just realized mimic beacons can utilize cover :downs:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Away all Goats posted:

I just realized mimic beacons can utilize cover :downs:

And enemies will happily throw their fire away on the beacon even though there's a guy out of cover right next to them. Spamming Mimic Beacons is my key to Legendary success.

Except for Faceless. gently caress those fuckers.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Can't believe no one else has mentioned the other (in my opinion) super good customization mod besides CapnBubs' in the workshop yet. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616824432

Some sillier stuff, but if you can't enjoy your Psi Trooper running around with a cardboard sectoid face then I don't even know.

Kooriken fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 12, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Antti posted:

And enemies will happily throw their fire away on the beacon even though there's a guy out of cover right next to them. Spamming Mimic Beacons is my key to Legendary success.

Except for Faceless. gently caress those fuckers.

I've never used a beacon (or really gotten far enough to make more than one) so I'd wondered why they were so overpowered. Didn't realize they had built-in taunt.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I dunno, that one was just a bit too silly for me, to be honest.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
After being crushed on legendary mode at least five times, I finally got past the second month without some sort of disaster scenario occurring. I finally did the alien black site expecting that there'd be the usual number of aliens, maybe an extra spawn. But no, there were 26 aliens, including multiple MECs, snek tits and stun lancers. I had shotguns and frag grenades.

:black101:

My squad evaccing:

I did "good". What more do you want from me, game?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
What I really, really want is for someone to model an articulated Kool-Aid Man to put in place of the Andromedon, complete with "Oh Yeah!" sound effects. This needs to happen so bad it isn't even remotely funny.

Final fight tips for those who are still having trouble:

The reinforcements are constant and endless. Burn down the three avatars as quickly as possible or you will eventually find yourself overwhelmed. Either keep your troops together and use mind controlled units to spread the map, or work with two fireteams of 3 that support each other as necessary. If the avatar teleports too far away after a hit, it can absolutely be worth suicide running someone into a position to dink them and get them back into range for heavier hits. If you can mind control units, space them out where your troops aren't so they distract reinforcements and you have something to ding him and TP him back. If you're far enough back in the mission, you can mind control or dominate the gatekeeper right before that section, damage or kill the 4 stunlancers that come after him, then gatekeeper gizz bomb them for zombie bros.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

All my men are Duke Nukem and all my women are Sandra Bullock.

I'm doing this right even if I'm sort of promoting a weird master race if we win.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My new psi operative got Dominate at rank 2.

Um. Hmm.

:getin:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I've been thinking about concealment versus the mission timers, and how the game put in a stealth element but doesn't really reward you for using it. I have ideas about what I'd like to see it changed to, but I don't think it's moddable; this seems like expansion pack or XCOM 3 goals.

First off, I don't like the timers counting down when you're in concealment. Those two game elements are in direct opposition -- sneak around, be careful, set up your dudes for a proper ambush, oh and by the way if you do those things you're gonna fail the mission because you don't have time to waste, just run into the first pod you can find and start the firefights so you can dash to the objective. Second, I don't like that your "reward" for a good ambush is relatively paltry -- a single pod with most of the enemies wounded and maybe some killed before they can ever take an action, and then the rest of the mission plays out like it would have if you were never concealed.

I'd make two changes. First, I'd give every alien a Spotted! ability that doesn't cost an action, starts the turn timer, and breaks your concealment. Second, I'd give every alien a Call For Help ability that takes an action but ends their turn (like firing a weapon), and if that alien is alive at the start of the next Alien Activity phase, they activate the nearest pod (or, if no pods are unactivated, calls in reinforcements).

The first ability is pretty self-evident, I think. If you can put together a perfect ambush and kill the entire pod before they get a chance to react, your reward is that the timer stays off and you get to ambush the next pod too. And yes, you could concievably chain-ambush your way through entire missions without ever worrying about the timer or taking any fire at all, and that is a good reward for being a bunch of sneaky, murderous guerilla motherfuckers who never gave the aliens a chance.

The second one, on the other hand, amps up the threat against you. If an alien decides they don't like their odds, they can run off into cover and get help -- but you've got one turn to kill them. Now if you're not killing everyone fast enough, there's a chance that they're going to make the fight much harder, so kill the motherfuckers quickly, because you are up against overwhelming odds and your only chance to survive is to hit hard, hit fast, and fade away before they react. Also, if they pop the ability, it makes you make tough tactical choices on your next turn because now you've got to prioritize killing that guy.

Anyway, that's my idea, I'm curious if anyone else likes it at all.

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Quick question: I made some custom characters and edited my .ini file with the eCPSM_PoolOnly option. Everything works fine and dandy. Now, I wish to add more custom dudes to my already started game. If I add more characters now, should they appear as recruits once the recruit list refreshes?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I was leveling up psi operatives I though "oh you have to choose between their psi skills and can't have them all at once. That's neat".

Then I realized lol no if you train long enough you get literally everything because they didn't even try to balance psi beyond a one domination limit.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Internet Kraken posted:

When I was leveling up psi operatives I though "oh you have to choose between their psi skills and can't have them all at once. That's neat".

Then I realized lol no if you train long enough you get literally everything because they didn't even try to balance psi beyond a one domination limit.

YOU SHUT UP

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CapnAndy posted:

I've been thinking about concealment versus the mission timers, and how the game put in a stealth element but doesn't really reward you for using it.

Concealment isn't supposed to promote stealth, it's a gameplay mechanic intended (along with the mission timers) to stop people from overwatch creeping through a map

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CapnAndy posted:

I've been thinking about concealment versus the mission timers, and how the game put in a stealth element but doesn't really reward you for using it. I have ideas about what I'd like to see it changed to, but I don't think it's moddable; this seems like expansion pack or XCOM 3 goals.

First off, I don't like the timers counting down when you're in concealment. Those two game elements are in direct opposition -- sneak around, be careful, set up your dudes for a proper ambush, oh and by the way if you do those things you're gonna fail the mission because you don't have time to waste, just run into the first pod you can find and start the firefights so you can dash to the objective. Second, I don't like that your "reward" for a good ambush is relatively paltry -- a single pod with most of the enemies wounded and maybe some killed before they can ever take an action, and then the rest of the mission plays out like it would have if you were never concealed.

I'd make two changes. First, I'd give every alien a Spotted! ability that doesn't cost an action, starts the turn timer, and breaks your concealment. Second, I'd give every alien a Call For Help ability that takes an action but ends their turn (like firing a weapon), and if that alien is alive at the start of the next Alien Activity phase, they activate the nearest pod (or, if no pods are unactivated, calls in reinforcements).

The first ability is pretty self-evident, I think. If you can put together a perfect ambush and kill the entire pod before they get a chance to react, your reward is that the timer stays off and you get to ambush the next pod too. And yes, you could concievably chain-ambush your way through entire missions without ever worrying about the timer or taking any fire at all, and that is a good reward for being a bunch of sneaky, murderous guerilla motherfuckers who never gave the aliens a chance.

The second one, on the other hand, amps up the threat against you. If an alien decides they don't like their odds, they can run off into cover and get help -- but you've got one turn to kill them. Now if you're not killing everyone fast enough, there's a chance that they're going to make the fight much harder, so kill the motherfuckers quickly, because you are up against overwhelming odds and your only chance to survive is to hit hard, hit fast, and fade away before they react. Also, if they pop the ability, it makes you make tough tactical choices on your next turn because now you've got to prioritize killing that guy.

Anyway, that's my idea, I'm curious if anyone else likes it at all.

That literally promotes the opposite of what concealment is intended to do.

Its supposed to make it safer to walk into the fog so people don't overwatch creep and take two hours to get through a routine mission. It and the timer are supposed to add tempo where you must move forward at all times, but you aren't penalized like you were on EU bomb missions because enemies start off less aware of you so you can still control how the first engagement goes down.

Your changes seem like they would just promote the regressive strategies of creeping and dragging everything out even harder.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd like a better mix of sneakin' and creepin', careful killin' and TEMPO TEMPO MOTHERFUCKER YOU ONLY HAVE TWO SECONDS TO DO THIS MISSION gently caress! FUUUUCCK!!!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In short, slow agonizing overplanned, overthought overwatch creep is bad, get in, get poo poo done, get out is good.

I'm with the people who say "if the timers are legit giving you constant trouble, the game is telling you to turn down the difficulty"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You can already use a mod that doesn't start timers until conceal breaks and it is amazing and fun. You don't need to overwatch creep, you just get freedom to explore your options.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

kater posted:

You can already use a mod that doesn't start timers until conceal breaks and it is amazing and fun. You don't need to overwatch creep, you just get freedom to explore your options.

I use that mod. It's a perfect compromise IMO. Gives you some leeway in how you approach a mission, but doesn't snap the difficulty over its knee.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Those stupid loving extraction missions can be a pain in the rear end because the timer, extract position and the location of the VIP are randomized therefore incentivizing less 'git good' and more 'reload to geoscape and hope you don't get hosed this time' which is a lot of what :xcom: is in the end.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Even though the game would benefit from a fair amount of rebalancing, timers are the most balanced part of the game in my opinion.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I just added +1 turn to every mission in the config. I ended up not really needing it and turned it off a half dozen missions in, but since it's paced for X turns, adding an additional one is just enough to take away the rushed feeling if that's a boner deflater to you

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The Will stat is actually meaningless for offensive PSI yeah? Just the NOT OMNITOOL that matters?

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Motherfucker posted:

Those stupid loving extraction missions can be a pain in the rear end because the timer, extract position and the location of the VIP are randomized therefore incentivizing less 'git good' and more 'reload to geoscape and hope you don't get hosed this time' which is a lot of what :xcom: is in the end.

About 3/4 through my 2nd campaign and I've NEVER had a VIP extract mission that wasn't possible. Some have looked very daunting but I play vanilla commander/ironman so I had to suck it up and they proved very doable. Like I start one corner, VIP is opposite corner, and extract in a third corner yet I still managed to make it with a turn to spare.

Dongattack posted:

The Will stat is actually meaningless for offensive PSI yeah? Just the NOT OMNITOOL that matters?

They also get psi stat on level up which makes a huge difference. I'm also pretty sure its one of the only random stat-ups in the game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Eraflure posted:

Even though the game would benefit from a fair amount of rebalancing, timers are the most balanced part of the game in my opinion.

Yeah the timers are perfectly fine (excepting, i suppose, the anecdotes of people getting maps that are impossible to complete; it hasn't happened to me once in two campaigns but that's only 70 or so missions) and making them only count when you break concealment is total overkill

If you feel the need for more leeway in the missions you don't actually want a mod, you want to spend the supply on the GTS ability Lightning Strike, which comes close to giving you an entire extra turn's worth of movement. I've never seen a map where I needed it, but the extra buffer ended up more than paying for itself in increased flexibility in approaching timed missions.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kin33 posted:

About 3/4 through my 2nd campaign and I've NEVER had a VIP extract mission that wasn't possible. Some have looked very daunting but I play vanilla commander/ironman so I had to suck it up and they proved very doable. Like I start one corner, VIP is opposite corner, and extract in a third corner yet I still managed to make it with a turn to spare.

Well whaddya know, when you have mad good equipment and an understanding of the games mechanics things are easier??

I'm not saying I have problems with extraction missions now that all my dudes are wearing motorbikes for armor and have beamguns, but that's unrelated to the level of hosed you get.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I ended up playing around in the config files, adding a default bleedout chance of 25 instead of 0 (why), making basic hair triggers and repeaters slightly less lovely, and slowing the doom intervals on the main fortress thing slightly so flubbing more than one mission isn't quite so fatal to your progression on legend. This definitely makes the game easier, and we can't have that. Suggestions on loving my poo poo up

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Oh my god Mimic Beacons are soo good. I'm was used to the behavior of them for EW but they really are game changers. That and advanced ammo. Next game I have to research the Proving Ground early.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

EvilSlug posted:

Final fight tips for those who are still having trouble:

The reinforcements are constant and endless. Burn down the three avatars as quickly as possible or you will eventually find yourself overwhelmed. Either keep your troops together and use mind controlled units to spread the map, or work with two fireteams of 3 that support each other as necessary. If the avatar teleports too far away after a hit, it can absolutely be worth suicide running someone into a position to dink them and get them back into range for heavier hits. If you can mind control units, space them out where your troops aren't so they distract reinforcements and you have something to ding him and TP him back. If you're far enough back in the mission, you can mind control or dominate the gatekeeper right before that section, damage or kill the 4 stunlancers that come after him, then gatekeeper gizz bomb them for zombie bros.

That's pretty funny because you can also go back and grab the dudes at the start of the mission too. It's cheesing it like hell, but i'm doing it on my legendary run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Ran into my first sectopod, on a mission that wasn't going well. I hosed up while advancing, was out of position and mostly out of moves. My last-ditch effort was my souped-up hacker specialist stunning the drat thing, but he failed despite good chances, so I just resigned myself to losing people out of my A-team.

The machine proceeds to stand up, get ready to bombard me with explosives or whatever it is the new and improved 'Pod does, but in a heroic last stand my other, medic-specced specialist takes his reaction shot. Aaaand... EXECUTED!!! He one-shotted a goddamn giant death robot like it's nothing, single-handedly saving the lives of the entire squad. Superior Repeater = best weapon mod.

Sometimes :xcom: really goes your way :)