Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Re: Stellar's Jay and Red-shouldered hawk mimicry: We have a breeding pair of RSH's on the property where I work, and they and their offspring are a fairly constant, loud presence. The other day I followed what sounded like one of them calling from a stand of trees near a trailhead, but it turned out to be a Blue Jay fussing over a flock of starlings. Blue Jay vocalizations kind of sound like Red-shouldered hawks' in general, though, so I can't really say if it was intentional mimicry to scare the starlings or not.
Blue Jays have been known to mimic hawks, too:
http://hubpages.com/education/Blue-Jays-Clever-Mimics-of-the-Bird-World

The ocean fog started to block out the light before the Short-eared Owls became active this evening, but I had some nice close encounters. Two of the owls in the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area seem to be fine with hunting right near me after I've been sitting quietly for a while.

diving-at-dusk by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

owl-tall-grass by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A couple more of the Great Gray Owl:

ggo-launch by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ggo-face by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

The ocean fog started to block out the light before the Short-eared Owls became active this evening, but I had some nice close encounters.

Those are incredible. Well done and thanks for sharing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Best place to buy a Tamron 150-600 VC USD (in Canada)? Nikon mount if that matters. There aren't any used which I kind of expected but does anyone sell it cheaper than someone else?

e: Nevermind, just bought a 'like-new' on amazon with receipt for $1060 CAD. Can't wait.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 30, 2016

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

VelociBacon posted:

e: Nevermind, just bought a 'like-new' on amazon with receipt for $1060 CAD. Can't wait.

Nice! Let me know how you like the lens. I have a feeling that's what my tax refund is going towards.

Making do with a 70-300 in the meantime. Dreary day but my towhee buddy was out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Nice! Let me know how you like the lens. I have a feeling that's what my tax refund is going towards.

Making do with a 70-300 in the meantime. Dreary day but my towhee buddy was out.

Looks sharp. Is that with tamron 70-300 VC USD? I have that as well, love it. I'm wondering which lens will be sharper at 150-300mm.

E: lens came in today about 20 min before work. Can't wait to get out and use it.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 3, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I had a Tamron SP 70-300 for one glorious day before the electronics in it died. The VC is so strong on that lens that looking through an EVF with it while walking around feels like being Robocop. It would probably make a pretty decent lens for handheld wildlife videos.

Winter seems to be in as full effect as it's going to get this year down in TX, and it's downright warm most afternoons. Still, the leaves are gone and the migratory songbird flocks are hanging around. There've been a big flocks of American goldfinches in the area:

American goldfinch by S M, on Flickr

Ruby-crowned kinglets were interspersed among them:
Ruby-crowned kinglet by S M, on Flickr

As were Orange-crowned warblers:
Warbler by S M, on Flickr

The local Downy woodpeckers were out, too:
Downy woodpecker by S M, on Flickr

One of the three juvenile Red-shouldered hawks I see practically every day was lurking on the periphery of the bushy area occupied by the goldfinches and their associates.
Red-shouldered hawk by S M, on Flickr

Was it hoping to pick off one of the little birds? Maybe, but it finally settled on a crawfish. 2015 was a wet year, with a number of relatively severe floods. This has lead to a bumper crop of riparian crawfish dens popping up along the banks of local rivers and creeks. I spoke with an environmental services contractor who kayaks the river practically every day, and he tells me that these juvenile hawks seem to feed on crawfish almost exclusively, based on his observations. The crawfish certainly don't move as fast as the goldfinches so I guess they make for easy pickings.
Red-shouldered hawk - feeding by S M, on Flickr

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I had a Tamron SP 70-300 for one glorious day before the electronics in it died. The VC is so strong on that lens that looking through an EVF with it while walking around feels like being Robocop. It would probably make a pretty decent lens for handheld wildlife videos.

Photos taken with Canon 400 F5.6

You mention the Tamron 70-300 but Flickr shows Canon 400 F5.6 ?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

You mention the Tamron 70-300 but Flickr shows Canon 400 F5.6 ?

Only mentioning it because I asked him about it in another context I think.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, a bird poo poo on my lens and now camera metadata reports it as a 400 5.6. Weird, right?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

SMERSH Mouth posted:

One of the three juvenile Red-shouldered hawks I see practically every day was lurking on the periphery of the bushy area occupied by the goldfinches and their associates.

This one is really awesome.

The place where I go to photograph falcons got another news story - http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/we-can-watch-it-hunt-on-a-daily-basis-edmonton-birders-get-a-rare-urban-treat

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The horizontally-banded buffy orange on the underside is the adult plumage - juveniles have a pale underside with brown streaks. Nice photos, though. I didn't know that they hunt for crustaceans when they have the opportunity - I've never seen them eat anything aside from rodents, songbirds and small waterfowl.

When I went to check for Wood Ducks in Sequoia Park, I saw my first varied thrush hopping around in the shadows under a redwood.

varied-thrush by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Short-eared Owl hunting at dusk:

Short-eared Takeoff by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Snowy Egret charging after a fish:

snowy-charge2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Moon Potato posted:

I meant to comment on your earlier owl shots, which were phenomenal, but then you go and post this one which is basically my dream shot of a short ear. I hope you are printing this one up big.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I meant to comment on your earlier owl shots, which were phenomenal, but then you go and post this one which is basically my dream shot of a short ear. I hope you are printing this one up big.
I had the ISO up pretty high, so there's a lot of grain at higher resolutions. I'm not sure it'll clean up well enough to be suitable for a large print, but I'll definitely try finessing it in post before I submit to another show.

Some White-tailed Kites at Arcata Marsh. I sat around waiting for them to hunt in their normal spot, but they just left after a bit.

kite-buddies2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

My first time catching more than a fleeting glimpse of a Varied Thrush. It never came out of the shadows, but it was still neat to see.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

The horizontally-banded buffy orange on the underside is the adult plumage - juveniles have a pale underside with brown streaks. Nice photos, though. I didn't know that they hunt for crustaceans when they have the opportunity - I've never seen them eat anything aside from rodents, songbirds and small waterfowl.

When I went to check for Wood Ducks in Sequoia Park, I saw my first varied thrush hopping around in the shadows under a redwood.

A Snowy Egret charging after a fish:

snowy-charge2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Could it be a first-year? There are two more just like this one that hang around the area, and there were three chicks hatched from a nearby nest early last spring. I want to think that they are the same three, because they're a good deal smaller than the parents. I would think they should disperse and establish their own territories.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Could it be a first-year? There are two more just like this one that hang around the area, and there were three chicks hatched from a nearby nest early last spring. I want to think that they are the same three, because they're a good deal smaller than the parents. I would think they should disperse and establish their own territories.
Generally, raptors reach full size by the time they fledge so that they're big enough to take out prey as they learn to hunt. In Red-shouldered Hawks, small size is an indicator that it's male (there's some size overlap between males and females, but if you see one that looks especially small, it's pretty safe to say it's a male). From the hawks I've been watching, it takes a year or more for the juvenile brown streaks to disappear completely, but that may be a bit different in the eastern population. Here's Cornell's image of an eastern juvenile for reference:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/5134453140_1a3cd1cc4f_b.jpg

Red-shoulders tend to move around a fairly large range to hunt, and it's pretty normal for ranges to overlap without conflict if there's plenty of food around, which might be why you're seeing multiple individuals in the same area. Mated pairs frequently travel together too, even outside of breeding season.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Moon Potato posted:

My first time catching more than a fleeting glimpse of a Varied Thrush. It never came out of the shadows, but it was still neat to see.

A thrush so nice you posted him twice~

What a gorgeous bird.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

A thrush so nice you posted him twice~

What a gorgeous bird.
Hah, oops. I've been traveling and working away from home for the past week and a half, so I'm scrambling to catch up on my photo/video logging/processing/posting. Have a kite grabbing a vole instead.

kite-vole-brackish by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 6, 2016

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I came across a pair of roadrunners in Texas, but one ran away too fast.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 10, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Took the new Tamron 150-600 out for the first time. Difficult learning to use the long lens but quite enjoying it.

SEO2 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

SEO by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Perched by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Heron by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

poo poo, there have been a lot of amazing owl shots in this thread lately.

I froze my rear end off in the snow for 2 hours before this little guy peeked out. I'm kind of shocked it isn't a blurry mess, I was hand-holding at a 1/60 shutter speed. :suicide:

Eastern Screech Owl by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I drove 11 hours on Sunday through the mountains and this is the only bird I took a photo of :(

Clark's Nutcracker

Moon Potato posted:

I had the ISO up pretty high, so there's a lot of grain at higher resolutions. I'm not sure it'll clean up well enough to be suitable for a large print, but I'll definitely try finessing it in post before I submit to another show.
That kind of noise in the photo actually looks really beautiful if you print on brushed aluminium. I have a lion photo with very similar colour noise like that and it looks absolutely awesome printed at 3' x 4'.

VelociBacon posted:

Took the new Tamron 150-600 out for the first time. Difficult learning to use the long lens but quite enjoying it.

SEO2 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr
Stellar shots, looks like you're doing pretty good with the new lens. I really love the above SEO shot, although I wish the owl was on the left of the frame.

Bubbacub posted:

poo poo, there have been a lot of amazing owl shots in this thread lately.

I froze my rear end off in the snow for 2 hours before this little guy peeked out. I'm kind of shocked it isn't a blurry mess, I was hand-holding at a 1/60 shutter speed. :suicide:

Eastern Screech Owl by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr
Nice find. Hand holding a lens for 2 hours hoping to catch him peeking out must have been torture.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can one of you guys that use the d800 please tell me that I won't regret buying one when 50% of my shooting is bird stuff (right now)? I can't find any used d750s and there are loads of d800s on the local craigslist for ~$1500 CAD.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Can one of you guys that use the d800 please tell me that I won't regret buying one when 50% of my shooting is bird stuff (right now)? I can't find any used d750s and there are loads of d800s on the local craigslist for ~$1500 CAD.
My two biggest gripes about shooting birds on the D800 are autofocus performance and frame rate. The D750 improves on both of those. How much is the D500 going for in Canada?

Edit: birds.

hummingbird-bee by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

sunset-raptor-war2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

seo-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kestrel-mouse2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kite-carry by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 11, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Moon Potato posted:

My two biggest gripes about shooting birds on the D800 are autofocus performance and frame rate. The D750 improves on both of those. How much is the D500 going for in Canada?

Yeah those are the things that I'd notice as well. D500s are going for around $2800. I feel like I might just pick up a d800 and resell it later on for a similar price if I can find a d750.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Do you need a camera right now? Buying when you are just going to keep looking for what you want seems like a good way to be disappointed and lose money on the resell

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Do you need a camera right now? Buying when you are just going to keep looking for what you want seems like a good way to be disappointed and lose money on the resell

I'm definitely looking to move on from the d7k. I've been looking for around a month every day for a d750 to pop up and meanwhile people are posting WTB CL ads that are also looking for a d750 and are willing to pay ~$1900 CAD which is only a couple hundred below retail so I feel like when one does pop up it'll be sniped anyways. I do a lot of photography that isn't wildlife and have always liked the D800. I also only really go shooting birds on well lit days.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love that hummingbird photo!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Moon Potato posted:

gently caress me. Deleting my camera, throwing sd card in the trash.

I haven't taken too many pictures of birds lately. Just some backyard feeder birds, which were on snow days. Stupid work taking up all my daylight time. So I like seeing everybody else's bird pics.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Just wanted to say I checked and found a sale for the d750 from Aden Camera (Toronto) and just ordered one for $2,287 (CAD) after tax with free insured shipping. It'll be my first new camera body, can't wait!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Moon Potato posted:

drat, that owns.

D500 is going for $2700 at my local place...

https://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/401981/nikon-d500-body.aspx

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

sunset-raptor-war2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

God drat, dude.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

HookShot posted:

God drat, dude.

seriously.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

HookShot posted:

God drat, dude.
The hummingbird/bee shot was right outside my front door. One of the neighborhood Anna's Hummingbirds landed on the flowering cherry tree in front of my building as I was leaving to go owling, so I stopped to snap a few shots of it. A bee just happened to zip through the frame during one of them.

The kite/harrier battle was from the field where I've been shooting Short-eared Owls. The kite was taking off after an unsuccessful dive, and a young Northern Harrier attempted to ambush it in the hopes of stealing a meal. Since the kite's talons were empty, it was able to recover quickly and chase off the harrier. A couple more from that series:

sunset-raptor-war by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

sunset-raptor-war3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

Unreal! :cool:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

drat, that is an incredible shot.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
wow this thread makes my attempts seem kinda lame, you guys need to post more.

my feeble attempts

Hawk by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Harrier Hawk by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

The Harrier hawk one made me realize how lousy the Nikon 70-300 VR is on the long end and pick up a 300mm f4 prime to replace it. I know its on the short end for birds but it will have to do until my loans are paid off.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Went to the San Diego Safari Park and found this guy hanging out in the park.

A Haron
by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 15, 2016

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Good day today.

Taken with my cell phone camera.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 15, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've had very little chance to get out and shoot this winter, and when I was able to the weather was much too warm to find Great Greys. I'm reduced to going through old shots to see what I missed.

These couple I might have posted before when I originally took them but I've reprocessed them and am much happier with the final results now.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Good day today.

Taken with my cell phone camera.
Pretty awesome find! I wish I could find one during the day. People always tell me to listen for chickadees mobbing something, but all that has lead me to is more chickadees so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I've had very little chance to get out and shoot this winter, and when I was able to the weather was much too warm to find Great Greys. I'm reduced to going through old shots to see what I missed.

Today was the first day I was able to get out in almost a month and it was hitting +6 in some areas around Ft Sask. I can only recall one day in Jan where the air temp was below -20 during the day. No Short-eared Owls were out and I only managed to find one Snowy Owl today, this will probably be the last snowy of the `15-`16 winter from me. Not sure if this one is a new one for me or if the dye on it's head had come off (I edited it out on previous posts)

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr