Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The alien can be smart without being some kind of perfect tactician. Humans are smart and we torture and kill pointlessly and tear the wings off flies and squish ants. Why assume alien species would be any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We have no idea the alien's emotions or what it feels or if it feels. It could have spent the entire movie in its species version of absolute primal fear mixed with disgusted curiosity.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I remember reading somewhere that one of the ideas while they were making Alien was that the creature's odd behavior was because it was basically a child, and a lonely and totally unsocialized one at that. And when it curls up in the shuttle in the end it was meant to be curling up to die or hibernate, not knowing how to take care of itself.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
One thing I like about the AvP movies is it links the predator movies and alien movies together.

Predators trick people coming to their hunt. Weyland dies during the hunt. Everyone but one person dies. Last predator dies and has a alien awake in him. Weyland corp most likely goes into a steep downfall. Which leads to,

Alien crashing the ship into a town. Making more aliens. Predator comes to hunt the alien. Predator loses his gun. Everyone dies in the town. Predator gun is delivered Ms. Yutani, which can bee seen as the owner of the Yutani Corporation.

Then you can figure that somehow the companies merge, flash forward a hundredish years.

And you get Weyland-Yutani Corporation owed commercial spacecraft Nostromo coming along in alien with instructions to check out unknown stuff.

To me this ties it all together better than, A bunch of scientists go to a alien planet, to do some dumb stuff, and all die. And the only person alive doesn't even want to go back to earth and no one knows anything about what happened. The movie could of been called Space Adventure 5 because the ties to the alien series are so little that it doesn't connect at all. There is literally no horror in the drat movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tenzarin posted:

One thing I like about the AvP movies is it links the predator movies and alien movies together.

Why is this a good thing?

Also is the last part of your post a description of Premetheus or Alien? I genuinely can't tell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Prometheus has one of the best 3D squid alien laser c-section birth scenes in all of cinema, like at least in the top 20.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Steve2911 posted:

Why is this a good thing?

Also is the last part of your post a description of Premetheus or Alien? I genuinely can't tell.

I want colonial marines vs aliens vs predators. Resurrection kinda hosed this up though. Wanted to see this ever since seeing the Alien queen head in the predator ship in Predator 2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I want colonial marines vs aliens vs predators. Resurrection kinda hosed this up though. Wanted to see this ever since seeing the Alien queen head in the predator ship in Predator 2.

Thankfully Ridley Scott doesn't pander to this kind of crap.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Dark Horse has been publishing RoboCop/Terminator/Aliens/Predator/Sam&Max crossover books for decades though. You don't need a movie, just read one of the trades and you'll see how monumentally dumb all the stories are.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Everblight posted:

Dark Horse has been publishing RoboCop/Terminator/Aliens/Predator/Sam&Max crossover books for decades though. You don't need a movie, just read one of the trades and you'll see how monumentally dumb all the stories are.
Except they're not universally dumb, the ratio of good/bad AvP stories is about equal with the ratio of good/bad Alien/Predator movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I want to agree with that because I like some of them but...

GOOD:
Alien
Alien 3
Aliens
Predator
Predator 2
Prometheus

BAAAAAD:
Alien vs. Predator
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
Alien Resurrection
Predators

...I've read a lot of them and I have a hard time believing 60% of AvP comics are good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How do you think predators was bad when it was the best predator movie since predator 2?

It was alot better than the fan scripts to have The Rock be Arnold(from predator)'s son and get captured and taken to the predator home world to hunted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It's a bit of an exaggeration for effect, but it's not that big of one. Everblight is acting like the very premise of AvP is bad and it's impossible to tell a good/interesting/entertaining story in that framework, and that's just not true. Especially if we broaden AvP to encompass stuff beyond just the comics.

Hell, some of the wacky inter-company crossovers that should just be ridiculous dogshit cash grabs are legitimately great. The first Batman vs Predator owns (and even the two sequels have clever moments), as does Judge Dredd vs Aliens.

Also I thoroughly enjoyed Predators, it subverted a ton of the tropes from the first movie in interesting ways and I really dug it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 12, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Adrien Brody has a good nose.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If in 2008 you'd told me the guy from 'The Pianist' was going to be the lead hero in a Predator movie and be a convincing badass, I'd have thought you were insane.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Predators is loving terrible on every level. It doesn't work as a Predator movie, action movie, horror movie, homage or anything. It's a perfect example of a sequel made by someone who loves the original it but doesn't understand it, and also isn't talented enough to do anything new or good with it.

Requiem owns though, and I will fight you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

...I've read a lot of them and I have a hard time believing 60% of AvP comics are good.

Honestly this sounds about right, depending on where your bar for "good" lies (a lot of them are kinda just fun schlock) and whether we're counting solo Alien and solo Predator comics (there's been at least one Alien comic series, Aliens: Labyrinth, that is legitimately loving incredible).

Also, I kinda dug Predators, and Requiem owns.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Predators is loving terrible on every level. It doesn't work as a Predator movie, action movie, horror movie, homage or anything. It's a perfect example of a sequel made by someone who loves the original it but doesn't understand it, and also isn't talented enough to do anything new or good with it.

Requiem owns though, and I will fight you.

Yeah I'm gonna fight you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Labyrinth is the only Alien comic I like.

Also I like the predator comic where it fights a grizzly bear. Because it's dumb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Isnt Labyrinth the continuation of aliens where they eventually get back to earth to find it infested?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No. That's the first Aliens comic run. Labyrinth is about a crazy doctor who experiments with Aliens because he got nabbed by the Aliens once, and survived while his family were impregnated. Which is legit one of my favorite scenes in the Alien series.

That needs to be in a movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

Isnt Labyrinth the continuation of aliens where they eventually get back to earth to find it infested?
Goodness, no. That's Earth Hive.

If you haven't read Labyrinth, seek it out. It's got a near-perfect balance of Alien-style horror and Aliens-style action, a villain with actual depth and pathos that subverts a lot of the "mad scientist" tropes plaguing Aliens comics at the time, a hefty dose of totally loving insane body horror that makes Prometheus seem like amateur hour (without going into over the top) shock value, and it does interesting things with the Alien without "explaining everything" or over-exposing the Alien. Hell, it even subverts a lot of the Ripley tropes, which is really refreshing for an Aliens story.

The art is also totally excellent, and has some of my favorite depictions of the Alien in any of the comics. The author just really understood what made the first two movies work and does a great job blending the two without feeling like a rehash or fanboy fellatio.

If you can't find the comic series, the "novelized" version by S D Perry will do in a pinch, although it isn't as good.

I could do a spoilertastic summary of it but it really wouldn't do the series justice, you're much better off reading it yourself. Hell if I still had my spare copy I'd mail it to you so you could read it, but I gave it to a different goon several years ago when this exact topic came up. :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 13, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Predators has the distinction of being the worst film out of all three(?) franchises, which is a rather unique accomplishment in failure.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I gotta second the recommendation of Aliens Labyrinth, and usually Xenomrph and I disagree on most of this stuff. By the way its by Jim Woodring, who normally makes trippy-rear end comics like this:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Predators was hella fun and Walton Goggins is a national treasure

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Clipperton posted:

Predators was hella fun and Walton Goggins is a national treasure

He was never better than as "Downtown" in Major League 3: Back to the Minors

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fair warning about Aliens: Labyrinth, though, it is loving nightmarish on a level beyond any of the movies. Only AVP: Requiem with the hospital scene even comes close to how hosed up Labyrinth is.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I really like Predators. It's a movie with absolutely no good guys at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Five O' Clock. Bitch raping time."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2864.aliens-labyrinth/

is this the whole comic, or just the first issue. Because I'd be down to pay $6 for the full mini (what, 4 issues?) but not $6 per issue.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Seems like it yeah. 114 pages sounds right.

When I was a kid, I used to bring that book in all the time to draw aliens out of. In hindsight, that was probably mega weird, considering the content inside.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Fair warning about Aliens: Labyrinth, though, it is loving nightmarish on a level beyond any of the movies. Only AVP: Requiem with the hospital scene even comes close to how hosed up Labyrinth is.

Was kinda meh. Was expecting more gore.

Harime Nui posted:

I really like Predators. It's a movie with absolutely no good guys at all.

The title of the movie wasn't about the aliens(predators) at all. They explain this in the movie.

All I can think about this movie is how they identified them, like the doctor had to have a house of trophies that they knew seemed off.

The only one that really sets themselves from the others is the Russian who dies blowing up a predator with what I pretend is "you ugly motherfucker" in Russian.

I will also say, Robert Rodriguez was the last to deliver on anything to the either movie series since Cameron period.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 13, 2016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
When I got to the part about the aliens forcing the dude to have sex with his delimbed mother I remembered that I had read the novelization at age 11

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yea I'm bragging deal

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harime Nui posted:

When I got to the part about the aliens forcing the dude to have sex with his delimbed mother I remembered that I had read the novelization at age 11

It's Labyrinth. A comic book I brought to school when I was 8.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Very well, when I was eight I was just getting my Ajax-guy-in-Queen-Alien-Disguise figure stolen at elementary, you sonofabitch

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Tenzarin posted:

Was kinda meh. Was expecting more gore.

The title of the movie wasn't about the aliens(predators) at all. They explain this in the movie.

All I can think about this movie is how they identified them, like the doctor had to have a house of trophies that they knew seemed off.

The only one that really sets themselves from the others is the Russian who dies blowing up a predator with what I pretend is "you ugly motherfucker" in Russian.

I will also say, Robert Rodriguez was the last to deliver on anything to the either movie series since Cameron period.

Actually you'll be pleased to know that pretty much is what he says, in Russian.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Everblight posted:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2864.aliens-labyrinth/

is this the whole comic, or just the first issue. Because I'd be down to pay $6 for the full mini (what, 4 issues?) but not $6 per issue.
That's it, yeah. I can't tell if it comes with the lead-in story (Aliens: Backsplash), but all the print versions of the collected edition do. It's not essential for the whole story, but it fleshes out the protagonist a bit more and has some really crazy action.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

"Five O' Clock. Bitch raping time."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4yLPF5sM0A

Great for the sheer, wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The dumbest/best parts of Predators were the 27 year old IDF soldier played by a Brazilian person saying she'd fought in every jungle on Earth and the last act of the movie becoming a Dexter vs. Predator crossover fan fiction.